PDA

View Full Version : Man dies in rare fatal shark attack in Florida

Roger Perry
02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Attackers may be juvenile great white sharks, research scientist says

STUART, Florida - A man kite surfing off a Florida beach died Wednesday after being surrounded and attacked by sharks.
The Martin County Sheriff's Office said a lifeguard first saw the man in distress at 4:15 p.m. about 500 yards from shore near Stuart, on the Atlantic coast.
The lifeguard paddled out into rough water and found sharks encircling 38-year-old Stephen Howard Schafer.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35233439/ns/us_news-life/

Just letting y'all know it was not me. I don't go in the ocean in winter time. :shock:

badbullgator
02-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Bush caused it

ducknwork
02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Global warming is obviously to blame for this!

M&K's Retrievers
02-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Bush caused it

Don't forget Brown.

Lucky Seven
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Bush caused it

Dont foget Chaney too !!!

dixidawg
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Halliburton shark machine.

dnf777
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Bush caused it

Nah, given the timeframe, definately Clinton's fault.

Hew
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
That lifeguard is a hero. Imagine the stones needed to swim into a group of sharks and rescue a stranger who's bleeding all over. Amazing.

"Halliburton shark machine" :D:D:D

ducknwork
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Nah, given the timeframe, definately Clinton's fault.

Someone will be along soon to say that Reagan wasn't the great lifeguard that he was made out to be and place the blame squarely on his shoulders...

Personally, I think it's all Calvin Coolidge's fault. That is blatantly obvious.

Matt McKenzie
02-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Halliburton shark machine.

Did they have "lasers" on their heads?

Roger Perry
02-04-2010, 04:48 PM
That lifeguard is a hero. Imagine the stones needed to swim into a group of sharks and rescue a stranger who's bleeding all over. Amazing.

"Halliburton shark machine" :D:D:D

You got that right.

STUART The lifeguard who attempted to save a kiteboarder Wednesday off Stuart Beach was the victim of a shark attack himself more than 20 years ago.
So as he fought rough winds and high waves on Wednesday, Daniel Lund, 46, realized what lay ahead about 20 yards before he reached the kiteboarder, Stephen Schafer, a quarter-mile off the beach. He saw blood in the water and "two or three sharks" nearby.
Lund, a nine-year veteran whose leg was severely injured by a shark in 1986 off Hutchinson Island, swam in anyway.
"It was nerve-wracking," Lund said today in his first interview after the fatal shark attack that claimed Schafer, 38. The fatal attack, also off Hutchinson Island, was the first in Martin County.
Knowing from experience and lifeguard training that sharks tend to bite, then swim away, and come back to their victim, Lund moved fast to recover Schafer. The man had several big gashes in his leg and arm, according to a police report.
"The amount of blood that was in the water was definitely going to attract them," Lund said.
Lund cradled the man's head in one arm and paddled back to shore with the other. The waves were so rough that both were thrown apart once before they made it in.
Lund recovered the man a second time on his buoy and brought him to the beach where paramedics started CPR. Schafer later died at Martin Memorial Medical Center in Stuart.
Lund said Schafer talked to him until they were about half-way from shore. He wouldn't say what Schafer's last words were, but Lund said he remained hopeful throughout the ordeal that the man would survive the attack.
"You don't ever want to lose somebody," he said.

K G
02-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Someone tell me how this belongs on POTUS....just askin'.....

k g

charly_t
02-05-2010, 12:08 AM

k g

That's an easy one..........sharks and politicians are pretty much the same
kind of animal.

ducknwork
02-05-2010, 06:56 AM
It's called an analogy, KG.;) The sharks are Obama and his henchmen and the man is the American taxpayer. First, they come take some bites out of us with all the spending to 'fix' the economy, then when it doesn't work, they come back to bite us again. If someone can't stop the bleeding, we will die as well...The only question is who is the lifeguard? Will our lifeguard have better success?

How many posts will it take before someone says that Bush took the first bites and says I had no problem with it then?:D

BTW, my story was mainly in jest...Not too bad off the cuff, huh?:cool:

Blackstone
02-06-2010, 08:39 PM
That's an easy one..........sharks and politicians are pretty much the same
kind of animal.

You shouldn't insult sharks like that! ;)

rsfavor
02-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Didn't Al Gore invent kite surfing? Wouldn't that make it his fault?

david gibson
02-08-2010, 06:26 PM

that is really good - nice comment!

but seriously - who actually invented kite surfing?? google all you want, not sure if you will get this one....but please try to answer without googling - the answer may surprise you... ;-)

road kill
02-08-2010, 06:35 PM

k g

Because it was Bush'sfault!!:shock:

rk

YardleyLabs
02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
that is really good - nice comment!

but seriously - who actually invented kite surfing?? google all you want, not sure if you will get this one....but please try to answer without googling - the answer may surprise you... ;-)
Kites were invented in China almost 3000 years ago, and were actually used to fly warriors over enemy lines, for fishing, and for a variety of other purposes. They were first used as an aid in sailing in the 13th century and, as far as I know, that would be the first precursor to kite surfing. I don't think Al Gore was alive..... (see http://www.kitesurfingnow.com/kitesurfing-facts/history-of-kitesurfing.shtml)

Roger Perry
02-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Because it was Bush'sfault!!:shock:

rk

I believe that was already said.:evilbat:

Bush caused it
Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
Corey Burke

badbullgator
02-09-2010, 02:07 PM

No but he did invent man made global warming so he may in fact be to blame for this.........