PDA

View Full Version : Your Sources -

Marvin S
02-12-2010, 02:03 PM
The constant reference to Limbaugh, Hannity & Beck by the IHOP kid & the Doc makes one believe they watch them more than some of us. I can honestly say I never listened to Beck though I'm going to read a book he recommended called " A Patriot's History of the US", have read a book by Hannity & find him a Pseudo-Conservative, listen to Rush occasionally & find him informative if he is on his "A" game which does not happen all the time & have watched O'Reilly, read one of his books & find him a buffoon.

But that begs the question of what people do read - in the early 60's I read the WSJ & Barry Goldwater's book "Conscience of a Conservative". It was & is a good book. Today National Review, Imprimis, American Spectator & Forbes are on my "A" list. I like the fact that in all cases their writing is high quality (some of you lefty's who post might take note, it's hard to take someone who posts as an illiterate seriously ;)). I have also done the New Yorker, love their cartoons but no longer subscribe, as it got me on some mailing lists I did not want.

I also belong to the Heritage Foundation as I find their Libertarian articles thought provoking.

I am a big fan of Dr. Thomas Sowell & will pass this site on:

www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell1.asp (http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell1.asp)

This info was courtesy of a friend of a friend - On this site there is also an "A" list of authors, some of whom I've read. Michael Barone, George Gilder, Mona Charen's columns are some I'm most familiar with.

I presently have "The Israel Test" by Gilder on order from the library.

Along with a lot of personal experience (I was born before FDR took office) I'm of the opinion that if we listened to people who know what they are talking about many of the issues we face as a country could be solved :cool:.

I invite others to share what they find interesting :)!

Franco
02-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Since there is very little for me on TV, I spend most of my time on the internet reading. If I am not watching the NFL Channel, History International, National Geographic, Military Channel, I surf beteen RTF and political websites.

On "My Favorites" browser are;

National Review
Townhall
Drudge Report
Free Republic

I aslo visit these sites just to read what the opposition is saying.

Huffington Post
Move On

And, someone last week brought up Rolling Stone's article about Goldman Sachs, so I've added it to my favorites. Plus, it helps me keep up with the music industry.

BonMallari
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I use Real Clear Politics.com because I think they show articles from both sides and shows that the truth lies somewhere in the middle..I quit listening to Hannity and will occasionally listen to Rush but cant take him for more than twenty minutes...I will listen to Laura Ingraham (voice is a lot whiney) but she is more intellectual than anyone else on the air. Glenn Beck has gone over the top and presents a bleak, alarmist message, Michelle Malkin is so filled with hate...
I like Krautheimer, Bill Kristol, and Fred Barnes, along with that new guy Steve Hayes

O'Reilly is a blowhard and a narcissitic bully...

Megyn Kelly rocks....Shannon Bream is a close second

Franco
02-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Megyn Kelly rocks....Shannon Bream is a close second

What happened to Laurie Duhe? She was one of the original Fox News babes.

Marvin S
02-12-2010, 06:50 PM
What happened to Laurie Duhe? She was one of the original Fox News babes.

Probably had to go in for a Botox treatment for her lips ;-).

dnf777
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. [Pennsylvania] isn’t a foreign country, where it’s kind of suggested, ‘Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, DC, may be thinking when you live up there in [Pennsylvania]?’ Believe me, [Pennsylvania] is like a microcosm of America."

Joe Scarbrough in the morning...CNN/Fox in the evening.

Julie R.
02-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I've never listened to Limbaugh or Hannity; although I've read Limbaugh's website usually when something on it's been forwarded to me. The first time I listened to Glenn Beck was when I watched Katie Couric interview him. I read the Richmond Times-Dispatch whenever I can get it, the Washington ComPost on Sundays; I also read and have subscribed to WSJ, Forbes and The Economist.

When I watch the local news, D.C. listening area, I watch Fox in the a.m., because they only have local anchors. We watch TruTV (Cops) when the national news comes on ;-).

Hew
02-13-2010, 05:18 AM
I listen to Beck whenever I'm driving around (which is fairly often). He's a funny SOB on the radio. Tried to watch his tv show a couple of times...I dunno, for me, his TV schtick is different and not as appealing. I get to hear Limbaugh less frequently, but he's still the king. He's an original thinker who stays true to the cause (even when it's not popular). I like Beck for that reason, too.

I generally don't watch a minute of any of the network or cable news shows (unless there's something big like elections, 9/11, earthquake in Haiti, balloon boy on the loose, etc). I've never watched O'Reilly, Colbert or Stewart for more than 3 minutes. I'll occasionally watch some of Maddow. She's a smart cookie.

As for reading, I generally don't bother with political books, but have read many of Woodward's.

For news I read a few of the links from Drudge. I check in a few times a day with Lucianne.com. It's a website/message board where members post the summary of a news article or commentary (liberal and conservative) and then comment on the article.

My favorite columnists are Jonah Goldberg, Charles Krauthammer, Victor Davis Hanson, Mark Steyn and Christopher Hitchens (a flaming lefty, but an intellectually honest one, imo). I really look forward to the 2nd Wed. of every month when Camille Paglia posts her column in Salon.com. She's a lib, too, but she's a straight shooter and her opinions on just about anything are quite fascinating.

Uncle Bill
02-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Morning HEW! Nice to see someone besides me up and burning the 'after' midnight oil.

My TV watching is primarily Fox news...enjoy the two Bretts and especially Mr. Krauthammer. O'Riley is an irritant, and I find your observations on Beck similar to mine. Hannity is a Rush wannabe, as well as a social climber.

Rush requires you to understand his deep seated philosophy of conservatism, which he frequently reveals when he gets on a roll during occasional monologs. Also, reading his two books are informative, without all the schtick and ego he exudes on his radio shows.

His 35 undeniable truths are quintessential. He has nailed the NOW crowd. Nothing could be more phoney than that group.

I read Human Events and Newsmax. Loved the Conservative Chronicle when it was in print, as it had all the columnists like Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell, plus George Will, Mona Charin and many others.

Drudge is an excellant investigator. Mark Steyn is hilarious as a Rush fill-in. Read Levin's excellant book, as well as a couple of Coulter's. Really enjoy the columns by Victor Davis Hanson also.

As all on here know, I'm a bigtime subscriber to the Daily Reckoning writers...and think Bonner, Casey, Fry, The Mogambo Guru, et al are heavyweights in their arena of thought.

A couple of Bonner's books are good reads as well, obviously primarily market based, but frequently relating to politics. I appreciate his style.

UB