PDA

View Full Version : how much do you really know about global warming??

david gibson
02-18-2010, 12:12 PM
interesting test here:

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/GlobWarmTest/start.html

wish we had a way to record scores to keep everyone honest, but see how you do!

i got 100%, but i am an environmental geologist so i'd better.

ducknwork
02-18-2010, 12:16 PM
80. Looks like I am a gud guesser, cuz I shore ain't no geologist!

M&K's Retrievers
02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
8 out of 10. Dumb luck. Why couldn't I have been so lucky in school?

TCFarmer
02-18-2010, 12:51 PM
I got 9 right.

dnf777
02-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I actually got all 10 correct, which speaks more to my political science acumen, than climatology knowledge. I admit, I took the test in the frame of mind that it was a political tool to persuade the test taker by manipulative and selective use of scientific literature and graphs, and selected answers accordingly. Not surprised, with that in mind, that it was easy to figure out the answers!

One could easily create a quiz about WMDs in Iraq, and show the naive test-taker how right Bush and Cheney were about Iraq! :rolleyes:

M&K's Retrievers
02-18-2010, 02:20 PM
I actually got all 10 correct, which speaks more to my political science acumen, than climatology knowledge. I admit, I took the test in the frame of mind that it was a political tool to persuade the test taker by manipulative and selective use of scientific literature and graphs, and selected answers accordingly. Not surprised, with that in mind, that it was easy to figure out the answers!

One could easily create a quiz about WMDs in Iraq, and show the naive test-taker how right Bush and Cheney were about Iraq! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure Ducknwork, but I think we were insulted.:)

dnf777
02-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Not at all....its just a sign that you're starting to come to your senses! One day soon you'll look back at those years with bashful reluctance....;-)

road kill
02-18-2010, 03:20 PM
I got 1 right!!:shock:

rk

BonMallari
02-18-2010, 03:52 PM

Not at all....its just a sign that you're starting to come to your senses! One day soon you'll look back at those years with bashful reluctance....;-)

Stick around the day is still young...and if you dont get insulted on this forum you arent trying hard enough :p:p

ducknwork
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM

Yeah, I'm a little lost...he went Yardley on us for a minute.

There were way too many big words in that sentence for this dumb southern non geologist, non political science, non climatogist kid to understand.:p

junbe
02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
This test is very flawed. For example, the first question has an incorrect answer. The earth started as a mass of gas at 4,000 degrees Centigrade. About 4,700 million years ago, it cooled enogh for the gases to become liquids. At 15,000 degrees Centigrade the first solid particles of crust began to appear. At 700 degrees Centigrade, the crust was about 6 miles thick and the rate of cooling began to slow. Anyone that says we have Global Warming does not comprehend the temperatures at which the earth started.

Jack

One could make the answer correct, but one would have to redo the question with a time frame.

brandywinelabs
02-18-2010, 06:00 PM
9 of 10 correct.

M&K's Retrievers
02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I got 1 right!!:shock:

rk

Which one??:confused:

road kill
02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Which one??:confused:
I forgot??!!??!!:shock:

sinner
02-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Suggested reading for both sides of this argument:
Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond
Just so you know this is not light reading!

Sabireley
02-18-2010, 07:38 PM

An excellent book.

david gibson
02-18-2010, 08:01 PM
This test is very flawed. For example, the first question has an incorrect answer. The earth started as a mass of gas at 4,000 degrees Centigrade. About 4,700 million years ago, it cooled enogh for the gases to become liquids. At 15,000 degrees Centigrade the first solid particles of crust began to appear. At 700 degrees Centigrade, the crust was about 6 miles thick and the rate of cooling began to slow. Anyone that says we have Global Warming does not comprehend the temperatures at which the earth started.

Jack

One could make the answer correct, but one would have to redo the question with a time frame.

you are just listening to"Big Bang Theory" theme song too much

zeus3925
02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Tried to get a home page to see who these people were. No home page explaining who they are. Interesting they are from West Virginia. Don't they mine something there?

PS If you go deeper into the site it is obvious this is a coal industry favorable site.

dnf777
02-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Agree!
Fascinating to see what our ancestors had to do for a warm meal and drink of water! We have it Sooooooo easy!