PDA

View Full Version : Nook --GDG even for potus

dnf777
02-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Since many of us on this forum are avid readers, I thought it might be useful to pass this along.

The gadget guy in me finally won over the book-lover, and I purchased a Nook. (B&N's version of the Kindle)

After registering, and re-registering 3 times, and having it lock up and requiring resets (holding a button down for a 30-Mississippi count) I have decided to return it. oh, the first time it locked, it took 20 minutes on hold listening to the virtures of their wonderful new machine waiting for ali-babba to apologize profusely, then tell me to shut it off and turn it back on.

Hmmmm.....can't remember the last time a book or newspaper locked up on me.

ducknwork
02-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Technology is a wonderful thing:rolleyes:...I wonder if my kids will even know what a book is when they get to high school. They might only see pictures of them in their history kindles...

Terry Britton
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Technology is a wonderful thing:rolleyes:...I wonder if my kids will even know what a book is when they get to high school. They might only see pictures of them in their history kindles...

They may even read about High Schools in their history kindles, and the marvels of being in a classroom with other students. All of my grad school has been via online classes, and I go to a testing center to take the same exam that professors give their in-class students.

Buzz
02-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Not sure I could stand reading off a kindle. I like books and magazines. I do like audio books, and listen to at least 24 each year. Sometimes I regret not having the paper copy so I can go back and find something quickly.

ducknwork
02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I do enjoy reading very much, but I just don't have the time to do it. I haven't actually read a book in years. I know that's bad, but between work, a wife, a 3 year old, a 1 year old and a baby due in April, I am lucky if I have time to think. Oh yeah, and a dog...

Correction-I have read a book in the last couple years. I read a great book on raising daughters. I read half on a plane to St Louis in 08 and I read the rest on a plane to Philly in October of last year. Maybe I just need to fly more...:p

dnf777
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm not completely sold on paperless books. If its any testament to how much I love reading, I have a job requiring 24hour calls every fourth night plus an entire weekend a month, 7 kids, and a dog. Oh yeah, and a wife! I'd go insane if I couldn't put a book in my hands for at least 10 minutes a day, and go far, far away!
I think the nook will be relegated to newspaper subscriptions and mabye a short book now and then, but we're having our library installed tomorrow, and have no intent on not continuing to buy pulp books.

ducknwork
02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Ok, you win.:p

M&K's Retrievers
02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
... I have a job requiring 24hour calls every fourth night plus an entire weekend a month, 7 kids, and a dog. Oh yeah, and a wife!.... .

Don't forget spending (wasting??) endless hours on POTUS :rolleyes:

JDogger
02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
When time allows, I hit the garage sales in my neighborhood. I look for books to fill the shelves in my mountain cabin. I can't confess to having read them all, but maybe some day.
The lastest five;
Audlels Masons and Builders Guide #1 by Frank Graham
Sun and Sage by Rudolph Mellard
Crow Shooting Secrets by Dick Mermon
The Complete Outdoor Cookbook by Dan and Inez Morris
Mastering the Shotgun by Richard Alden Knight.

All at $.50 apiece

There is no TV, Internet or Phone at the mountain home. We recieve a couple of weak FM stations. We eat, drink, play games, and read. The library grows, faster than I can consume it.
I hope someday to leave there a vast, and varied library.

Fahrenheit 451 regards,

JD