PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul tops CPAC straw poll

BonMallari
02-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Sorry, Sarah, it's Ron Paul in a sweep!

Conservatives want the Texas congressman as their next President.

Paul was preferred by 31% of voters in the Conservative Political Action Conference's presidential preference straw poll yesterday, one of the strongest wins in CPAC history.

Sarah Palin, who skipped the group's conference, came in a distant third with 7% of the vote.

Paul ran for President in 2008 but didn't come close to claiming the GOP's nomination.

Mitt Romney, after topping CPAC's poll for the past three years, came in second, with 22% of the 2400 votes cast.

Paul's resistance to government spending resonated this year.

"Congressman Paul is committed to bringing the conservative movement back to its traditional platform of limited government, balanced budgets and a foreign policy of nonintervention," said Paul spokesman Jesse Benton.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/02/21/2010-02-21_ron_paul_for_prez_say_rightwingers.html#ixzz0gB eruTz6

Marvin S
02-21-2010, 10:26 AM
I've posted this before - the good Doctor preaches a good line but does'nt follow through :confused:. Club for Growth shows his voting record at about 67% from his congressional seat. There are D's more committed to reducing spending than Paul is :(. I'll repost his record when CfG puts out the new stats.

Hew
02-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I've posted this before - the good Doctor preaches a good line but does'nt follow through :confused:.
Exactly. He's a few white tigers shy of a full Siegfried and Roy Show.

BonMallari
02-21-2010, 11:01 AM
I like his message, unfortunately I wish someone else was delivering it..I dont know if its his delivery or his appearance but he comes across as a loon

huntinman
02-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Plus these straw polls reflect the actual mood of the voters about as much as the caucus system (which Obama relied heavily on). The deck is stacked by the followers of certain candidates and they overwhelm the rest of the voters. In the case of the straw poll, it means nothing. In the case of the actual caucuses, it got us where we are today (up the creek without a paddle).

Buzz
02-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Plus these straw polls reflect the actual mood of the voters about as much as the caucus system (which Obama relied heavily on). The deck is stacked by the followers of certain candidates and they overwhelm the rest of the voters. In the case of the straw poll, it means nothing. In the case of the actual caucuses, it got us hwere we are today (up the creek without a paddle).

Wow, we agree on something.:cool: