PDA

View Full Version : Non-Partisan

mikebeadle
02-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I received this email and thought I'd forward it here. I'm not getting into a discussion with anyone about politics or religion. Just thought it was an interesting read.

Mike

545 vs.
You
must read this. It is non-partisan!

545vs.

Every citizen needs to read this
and think about what this journalist has scripted in this
message. Read it and then really think about our current
political debacle.

Charley
Reese has been a journalist for 49
years.

PEOPLE
By Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only
people in the world who create problems and then campaign
against them.

Have you ever wondered, if both the
Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we
have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the
politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we
have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose
a federal budget. The president does.

You and I
don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on
appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You
and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and
I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I
don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank
does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one
president, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545
human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally,
morally, and individually responsible for the domestic
problems that plague this country.

I excluded the
members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was
created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its

Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally
chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all
the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They
have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce
a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one
cotton-pickingthing. I don't care if they offer a
politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician
has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the
lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to
determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend
much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not
their fault. They cooperate in this common con
regardless of party.

What
separates a politician from a normal human being is an
excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would
have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the
President for creating deficits. The president can only
propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept
it.

The
Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole
responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating
and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the
speaker of the House? Nancy Pelosi. She is the
leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members,
not the president, can approve any budget they want. If
the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if
they agree to.

It
seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot
replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts --
of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of
a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to
those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth
that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government,
then it must follow that what exists is what they want to
exist.

If
the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it
unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they
want it in the red.

If the Army and Marines are in
IRAQ, it's because they want them in IRAQ.

If they do
not receive social security but are on an elite retirement
plan not available to the people, it's because they want it
that way.

There are no insoluble government
problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the
blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can
abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject;
to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and
from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not
let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied
mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics"
that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to
do.

Those 545 people and they alone, are
responsible.

They and they alone, have the
power.

They and they alone, should be held accountable
by the people who are their bosses.

Provided the voters
have the gumption to manage their own employees.

We
should vote all of them out of office and clean up their
mess!

Charlie Reese is a former columnist
of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.

What
you do with this article now that you have read it..........
Itís up to you.

This
might be funny if it weren't so true.
Be sure to read all
the way to the end:

Tax his land,

Tax his bed,

Tax the table

At which he's
fed.

Tax
his tractor,
Tax
his mule,
Teach
him taxes
Are the
rule.

Tax his work,

Tax his pay,

He works for peanuts Anyway!

Tax his cow,

Tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

Tax his shirt,

Tax his work,

Tax his dirt.

Tax
his tobacco,
Tax
his drink,
Tax
him if he
Tries
to think.

Tax his cigars,

Tax his beers,

If he cries

Tax his tears.

Tax
his car,
Tax his
gas,
Find other
ways
To tax his
ass.

Tax all he has

Then let him know

That you won't be done

Till he has no dough.

When
he screams and hollers;

Then tax him some more,

Tax him till

He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,

Tax his grave,

Tax the sod inwhich he's
laid.

Put these words

Upon his tomb,

Taxes drove me

to my doom...'

When he's gone,

Do not relax,
Its
time to apply
The
inheritance tax.

And.
More!!!

Accounts Receivable
Tax
Building
Permit Tax
CDL
license Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Dog License Tax

Excise Taxes

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel Permit Tax

Gasoline Tax (currently
44.75 cents per gallon)

Gross Receipts Tax

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax

Inventory Tax

IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties
(tax on top of tax)

Liquor Tax

Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Personal Property Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate Tax

ServiceCharge T ax

Social Security Tax

Road Usage Tax

Sales Tax

Recreational Vehicle Tax

School Tax

State Income Tax

State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)

Telephone Federal Excise
Tax
Telephone
Federal Universal Service Fee Tax

Telephone Federal, State and Local
Surcharge Taxes

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge=2 0Tax

Telephone Recurring and
Non-recurring Charges Tax

Telephone State and Local Tax

Telephone Usage Charge
Tax
Utility
Taxes
Vehicle
License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Watercraft Registration Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

STILL
THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not
one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was
the mostprosperous in the world. We had absolutely no
national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and
Mom stayed home to raise the
kids.
What
happened? Can you spell 'politicians?'
And I still have to
'press 1' for English!?

I hope this goes
around THE USA at least 100 times!!! YOU can help it get
there!!!
GO AHEAD
- - - BE AN
AMERICAN!!!

M&K's Retrievers
02-28-2010, 09:24 AM
I've seen this a rew times too. Kinda makes you sick doesn't it?

dnf777
02-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Not
one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was
the mostprosperous in the world. We had absolutely no
national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and
Mom stayed home to raise the
kids.
!

Keeping the non-partisan theme alive, I would say I agree with 99% of the passage. I would like to see evidence of the above however.

A few other considerations though:

1) We were not a stand alone world superpower militarily 100 years ago. To become such, we spent our national wealth on the most sophisticated technology in the world, as did our arch enemies, the USSR. One is now defunct, and the other is still struggling with potential financial collapse, in debt to the gills. 100 years ago, we had to buy boats and guns and gunpowder. Flying machines hadn't even hit the mainstream yet. We did not have as much as penicillin, and tens of thousands of children and adults died from things like diphtheria, measles, now-curable cancers, high blood pressure, appendicitis, and gall bladder attacks. Don't complain about potholes or unsalted roads. Most then were dirt. Our modern longevity, world status, and lifestyle don't come free!

2) The American middle-class was ushered into existence in the post WWI era, extending into the Vietnam era. Read "The Jungle" to see a literary account of the "middle class" prior to the labor movement.

3) In order to keep this truly non-partisan, I must ask if these tenants and observations held true under Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush W, or did they just materialize in the past 12 months? :rolleyes:

4) Notwithstanding the above, I still agree with 99%.

eldercaddy
12-26-2010, 02:20 AM
I've seen that too and it got me so sick.

Franco
12-26-2010, 06:22 AM
This is what happens when government becomes too big, it stops working for the people.

BonMallari
12-26-2010, 10:49 AM
This is what happens when you dont have term limits and you have Senators and Congresspersons that have been in office since 70's and 80's along with being in their 70's and 80's

road kill
12-26-2010, 10:54 AM
This is what happens when you dont have term limits and you have Senators and Congresspersons that have been in office since 70's and 80's along with being in their 70's and 80's

BINGO--BANGO--BONGO!!!

Until this happens we are screwed!

Tell me why someone would spend $5million plus to get a $100,000 a year job?

And how do they have a $100,000 a year job for 10-15 years and retire multi-millionaires??

Just askin'........

RK

dnf777
12-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Tell me why someone would spend $5million plus to get a $100,000 a year job?

RK

And so with term limits people will magically stop spending $5 million per election cycle to get elected? Lobbyists will magically stop shuffling money under the table to the "new guy"?

Term limits are already in place. Its called the vote.

What has corrupted the system is not addressed by mere term limits. Campaign finance reform and lobby reform are what's needed.

road kill
12-26-2010, 04:06 PM
And so with term limits people will magically stop spending $5 million per election cycle to get elected? Lobbyists will magically stop shuffling money under the table to the "new guy"?

What has corrupted the system is not addressed by mere term limits. Campaign finance reform and lobby reform are what's needed.

Yeah Dave, it's all magic.........:rolleyes:

RK

BonMallari
12-26-2010, 04:19 PM

the vote is not a term limit,the vote is a referendum... it is very hard to defeat an incumbent...How many presidents did Ted Kennedy outlast(46 yrs 292 days)..here is a list of Congress members that have served at least 36 yrs

John Dingell, Daniel Inouye, John Conyers, Dave Obey, Charles B. Rangel, Bill Young, Thad Cochran, Pete Stark, and Don Young.With the start of the 112th Congress, Senators Max Baucus, Christopher Dodd, Chuck Grassley, Tom Harkin, and Patrick Leahy

We limit our POTUS to two terms, why cant we do the same with Congress

dnf777
12-26-2010, 04:51 PM
the vote is not a term limit,the vote is a referendum... it is very hard to defeat an incumbent...How many presidents did Ted Kennedy outlast(46 yrs 292 days)..here is a list of Congress members that have served at least 36 yrs

John Dingell, Daniel Inouye, John Conyers, Dave Obey, Charles B. Rangel, Bill Young, Thad Cochran, Pete Stark, and Don Young.With the start of the 112th Congress, Senators Max Baucus, Christopher Dodd, Chuck Grassley, Tom Harkin, and Patrick Leahy

We limit our POTUS to two terms, why cant we do the same with Congress

You can. It just takes an amendment to the Constitution.
I'm not against them per se, but I just don't think they will address the issues of corruption. In fact, it may accentuate them. You will have more lame ducks, who don't care if they fly in the face of their constituents, and may play right into the hands of corporations and lobbyists who will see that they are comfortable after leaving office. Much like now, except it will occur more often.

Gerry Clinchy
12-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Have to agree with Dave ... if there are term limits the lame duck will care even less for the desires of his/her constituents, if that's possible!

OTOH, I also think that 30 years without a job in the private sector removes legislators from the people they represent. Seems like 12 or 15 would be plenty to keep them accountable but not secure for life.

Actually, I think it would be a good thing if eligibility would require 5 years in the private sector ... and proof that they can balance a checkbook! The latter might be some indication that they could also balance a budget?

Marvin S
12-26-2010, 05:34 PM
IMO - the best route is to not allow any sort of pension accumulation for time spent in elective office along with a 10 year moratorium (with serious consequences if it happens) on lobbying after serving. Easy to police & hard to make pay :cool:.

dnf777
12-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Have to agree with Dave ... if there are term limits the lame duck will care even less for the desires of his/her constituents, if that's possible!

... and proof that they can balance a checkbook! The latter might be some indication that they could also balance a budget?

Always good to here that Gerry! Its my sanity check. (or your insanity, either way...good to have company once in a while)

I think your second statement above carries lots of weight, if those issues can be brought to light. All the witch crap aside, I think Christine O'Donnell's financial woes hurt her far more than any witch talk. If I remember, she failed to pay tuition and had her diploma withheld, she had mortgage forclosure issues....Makes one think what she could do with a congressional checkbook! These are ties to the common-man that we can all relate to. Or the threat thereof, at least. Most of us know that if we did those things, we would be in trouble, not running for office.

road kill
12-26-2010, 06:13 PM

OTOH, I also think that 30 years without a job in the private sector removes legislators from the people they represent. Seems like 12 or 15 would be plenty to keep them accountable but not secure for life.

Actually, I think it would be a good thing if eligibility would require 5 years in the private sector ... and proof that they can balance a checkbook! The latter might be some indication that they could also balance a budget?

Yeah.....or maybe pay their taxes!!

Just sayin'........

RK

BonMallari
12-27-2010, 12:35 AM
with the end of the session of Congress it will mark the first time in 60 years that a Kennedy family member will not be in either the House or the Senate...maybe the family stranglehold on American politics is finally over

also the argument about having lame ducks doesnt hold water, there is a reason we dont vote for ALL the members of congress at the same time...its so we will always have an overlap of incumbent experienced legislators in office...the average member in Congress serves 14 yrs, that's two full senate terms plus two yrs or 7 House terms..if you cant get anything done in that time you need to be excused and replaced..

Just so you know I am non partisan on this subject, John McCain needs to be retired, Bernie Rangle needs to be retired, both have been in office way too long

dnf777
12-27-2010, 06:20 AM
Yeah Dave, it's all magic.........:rolleyes:

RK

The "magic" was referring to magical thinking that mere term limits will solve the greed and corruption in our government.

We need finance and lobby reform. Anything else is just pi$$ing into the wind.

BTW, Bon's comment on a Kennedy 60 year reign made me think....between the Kennedy dynasty and Bush dynasty, who is the king? Joe Kennedy or Prescott Bush, in terms of their get ? The Bush's haven't held elected office continuously, but held something in Washington DC, be it elected, appointed, or annointed.

road kill
12-27-2010, 06:30 AM
The "magic" was referring to magical thinking that mere term limits will solve the greed and corruption in our government.

We need finance and lobby reform. Anything else is just pi$$ing into the wind.

Well, that's your opinion.

Mine is term limits is a bit of "magic" that well help end the greed and corruption and create campaign finance and lobby reform in and of itself.

Of course you wouldn't even begin to take the time and think it through and understand what my point is.

Your too busy trying to insult the content by calling it "magic."

As though some that same "magic" would create campaign finance and lobby reform from very people who have no term limits and benefit from the existing LACK of campaign finance and lobby greed and corruption.

Thinking that the very people who benefit from what is going on would change it is "pissing into a hurricane."
Seems like you like wet pants.:D

Just sayin'.....

RK

dnf777
12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Thinking that the very people who benefit from what is going on would change it is "pissing into a hurricane."
Seems like you like wet pants.:D

RK

DING DING DING DING!!!!

Now we're talkin!!

Don't get your hackles up. I'm not trying to insult anybody except the chuckleheads in Washington who are raping us daily.

In the absence of true reform, which ain't gonna happen (as you pointed out) I think that term limits actually will work to THEIR greedy benefit, more so than ours. What if by some miracle, a good guy makes it to congress and does the RIGHT thing? The voter's choice to keep him around will be taken away from you.

road kill
12-27-2010, 01:38 PM
DING DING DING DING!!!!

Now we're talkin!!

Don't get your hackles up. I'm not trying to insult anybody except the chuckleheads in Washington who are raping us daily.

In the absence of true reform, which ain't gonna happen (as you pointed out) I think that term limits actually will work to THEIR greedy benefit, more so than ours. What if by some miracle, a good guy makes it to congress and does the RIGHT thing? The voter's choice to keep him around will be taken away from you.

Example????:D

RK

dnf777
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Example????:D

RK

Noooooooooooo thanks!

I said 'miracle'.....not already there.

But, the fact that many congressmen are long-serving, tells me that SOMEBODY likes them.

I know, everyone is entitled to THEIR favorite local guy who brings home the bacon, but nobody else is!

But the discussion is moving. My only point was that I don't think term limits, without other more substantive reform, will fix the problem. In fact, may make it worse.

You're right, that's just my opinion. And everyone's got one.