PDA

View Full Version : coffee party

dnf777
03-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Sounds like just what we need!

"We are all volunteers, working together to restore our ability as Americans to have a civil and respectful conversation about our government. As with any disagreement, the first step to resolution is sitting down to talk. You can order coffee or order tea, whatever makes you happy. Diverse opinions and diverse backgrounds are always welcome in the Coffee Party. We simply ask that you keep your composure, mind your temper, and remain civil and respectful, even toward those who disagree with you. We hope these meetings will set an example for our elected leaders as to how a solutions-oriented and fact-based approach to problem solving is the best and only way to meet the challenges we face as a nation."

http://coffeepartyusa.com/

Franco
03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
The spokesperson on that video shouldn't have smoked a spliff before she went on camera! If that's the face of the Coffee Party, I'll stick with my own political brew.

Doc, that was a joke, right?

M&K's Retrievers
03-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Dobie, Dobie Do:)

subroc
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Not much of a joiner really, but I think I would rather join a tea party. I am far more interested in what our forefathers stood for than any political party, group or movement, especially a “center-left” group as they feature themselves.

ducknwork
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I'd prefer a beer summit...:D

Leddyman
03-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Sounds like just what we need!

"We are all volunteers, working together to restore our ability as Americans to have a civil and respectful conversation about our government. As with any disagreement, the first step to resolution is sitting down to talk. You can order coffee or order tea, whatever makes you happy. Diverse opinions and diverse backgrounds are always welcome in the Coffee Party. We simply ask that you keep your composure, mind your temper, and remain civil and respectful, even toward those who disagree with you. We hope these meetings will set an example for our elected leaders as to how a solutions-oriented and fact-based approach to problem solving is the best and only way to meet the challenges we face as a nation."

http://coffeepartyusa.com/

You say your house is burning down?! Well I disagree, pull up a chair, don't mind those flames! Well if you can't have a civil conversation about your house burning down I think you must be dangerous!

dnf777
03-02-2010, 10:25 PM
There's hope for you guys afterall! If Rush had said those same words, you'd all be ga-ga over the bipartisan, patiotic tone! But I'll take your tempered approval as stated. ;) Afterall, we're all about civil discourse here, right?

Buzz
03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
thanks. I only watched a couple of minutes, and almost fell asleep.:rolleyes:

JDogger
03-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I'd prefer a beer summit...:D

On $.18 a day...

Good luck :p What'll you feed the kids? Oatmeal and koolaid?

No beer for you. :rolleyes:

JD

Sabireley
03-03-2010, 06:31 AM
I find it interesting that the poll on the home page, "In your opinion, what is the most urgent issue?", does not include the debt or budget deficit.

subroc
03-03-2010, 06:55 AM
I expect a center left groups most urgent issue would be a way to spend more money and provide more services

YardleyLabs
03-03-2010, 07:06 AM
I find it interesting that the poll on the home page, "In your opinion, what is the most urgent issue?", does not include the debt or budget deficit.
I noticed that also. Unfortunately, many among the too earnest progressives are as bad as Bushites in believing that the deficit is irrelevant. I understand the attitude. When banks keep sending you unsolicited credit cards with high limits, it's difficult to believe that the spigot might one day be cut off. It is too easy to rationalize and say that your debt level is really important because income is high.

I believe that the US will find its credit largely cut off in the next 4-5 years unless our total debt level begins to shrink dramatically. When you realize that the current deficit totals 10% of GDP, you begin to get a sense of how severe the impact of a sudden change could be on our economy. Another way to look at it is that our deficit is approximately equal to the total discretionary non-military budget plus the total military budget. For those who then suggest cuts to Medicare and Social Security to close the gap, it is importnt to note that these programs are still generating current surpluses of almost $200 billion per year. A third of the deficit gap can easily be attributed to the impact of the recession -- the amount that Federal receipts fell because of the economy -- and an economic rebound may actually cut the deficit by as much as 40-50%. Even with that, however, we would be left with a deficit exceeding the total value of all military and defense related spending ($700 billion), or more than the value of all "discretionary" spending in the Federal budget. None of the spending solutions that have been proposed by either party comes even close to bridging the gap.

Gerry Clinchy
03-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Yardley

an economic rebound may actually cut the deficit by as much as 40-50%. Even with that, however, we would be left with a deficit exceeding the total value of all military and defense related spending ($700 billion), or more than the value of all "discretionary" spending in the Federal budget. None of the spending solutions that have been proposed by either party comes even close to bridging the gap

That first comment leads me to think that the overall economy deserves more Congressional attention than health care reform to which they have devoted thousands of hours of their time. Obviously, increasing Fed tax receipts (and also decreasing funds being spent to support the unemployed) would go a long way to solving at least a large portion of the deficit problem! 40-50% is nothing to sneeze at.

It was reported the other day that Ireland has acted on its deficit by reducing govt employee compensation by 7% across the board. Doesn't seem like such a bad idea for the US? It was also mentioned that the temporary funding gap due to the lack of legislative action was equal to expenditures of $190 million a day. Fund one less day per month, and that's 1/2 billion (give or take). It was mentioned that it involved the furlough of 1000 Federal workers. With the size of the Fed workforce, one could easily rotate which workers would be furloughed each month.

ducknwork
03-03-2010, 09:57 AM
On $.18 a day...

Good luck :p What'll you feed the kids? Oatmeal and koolaid?

No beer for you. :rolleyes:

JD

I'll leave the koolaid to you and your pals...It seems as though you guys are hogging it all.

I'm up to $.32 now...;-):razz:

Got $10k paid off in the last 6 months and freed up plenty of extra money. It was worth the temporary sacrifices. I still don't waste money on beer though, except very rarely at a restaurant, but they don't typically serve beer at the kid oriented restaurants that I am finding my self at more and more these days.:confused:

dnf777
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I'll leave the koolaid to you and your pals...It seems as though you guys are hogging it all.

I'm up to $.32 now...;-):razz:

Got $10k paid off in the last 6 months and freed up plenty of extra money. It was worth the temporary sacrifices. I still don't waste money on beer though, except very rarely at a restaurant, but they don't typically serve beer at the kid oriented restaurants that I am finding my self at more and more these days.:confused:

Try Chuck E Cheese. They have something for everyone, including Dad.

Hoosier
03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Try Chuck E Cheese. They have something for everyone, including Dad.

Chuck E Cheese don't have strippers!!!

Hew
03-04-2010, 01:21 AM
The head of the Coffee Party is a Democrat shill and Obama sycophant posing as some starry-eyed independent. Gee, that sounds like someone else I know. http://bigjournalism.com/fross/2010/03/03/ny-times-washington-post-hide-phony-coffee-party-astroturf-roots-at-the-ny-times/

Hoosier
03-04-2010, 04:10 AM
The head of the Coffee Party is a Democrat shill and Obama sycophant posing as some starry-eyed independent. Gee, that sounds like someone else I know. http://bigjournalism.com/fross/2010/03/03/ny-times-washington-post-hide-phony-coffee-party-astroturf-roots-at-the-ny-times/

That's strange, and who was it that started this thread.

So, would the coffee party be where we go to discuss how to put an extravagant edition on a house that's fully engulfed in flames.

dnf777
03-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Partisan politics as usual, eh?
Didn't expect any more, or any less.
More concern with labeling too. No wonder this place gets nowhere!
Have a nice day.

Terry Britton
03-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Coffeebagger

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coffeebagger

Sabireley
03-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Coffeebagger

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coffeebagger

In case people don't want to follow the link.

Coffeebagger
Liberal-left female activists who like to meet up to give each other coffee enemas. (search 'coffee enema' on youtube for more info).

Pretty funny!

dnf777
03-07-2010, 09:42 PM
In case people don't want to follow the link.

Coffeebagger
Liberal-left female activists who like to meet up to give each other coffee enemas. (search 'coffee enema' on youtube for more info).

Pretty funny!

Maybe if some of the republicans on capitol hill tried this, congress would't be so "bound up"!

BTW, nobody here mentioned "coffeebagger". What do you do when not working with the dogs, Sabirely???:confused::confused:

ducknwork
03-07-2010, 10:35 PM
BWAAAAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Also from the link...Why would you leave out the funniest part?

'Colonics' advocates hail the coffee enema as a cure for everything from bad mood to belly fat, but actual doctors advise against it.

"My wife unknowingly invited over six coffeebaggers from the teachers' union when I was out of town. We had to tear out and replace all of our carpeting."

What does our resident sawbones have to say about this practice? LMAO

dnf777
03-08-2010, 04:15 AM
BWAAAAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Also from the link...Why would you leave out the funniest part?

What does our resident sawbones have to say about this practice? LMAO

Actually had an elderly lady who did this. She emphasized "cold" coffee enemas, and swore they worked better than anything. I also distinctly remembe her wearing a "W" button, during the campaign season, but I digress.

Sabireley
03-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Maybe if some of the republicans on capitol hill tried this, congress would't be so "bound up"!

BTW, nobody here mentioned "coffeebagger". What do you do when not working with the dogs, Sabirely???:confused::confused:

Tea Partiers are routinely referred to as Tea Baggers, so coffeebagger is the logical pejorative to apply to coffee partiers. Just enjoying a little POTUS humor.

I am in the enterprise software business.

ducknwork
03-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Actually had an elderly lady who did this. She emphasized "cold" coffee enemas, and swore they worked better than anything. I also distinctly remembe her wearing a "W" button, during the campaign season, but I digress.

The only difference between her and coffeebaggers with 'O' buttons, is that the O crowd gets coffee up there because they are trying to drink it...:D;-)