PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Census / Legal??

road kill
03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
According to that pesky limiting document, the Constitution, the census can be taken every 10 years!:D

Enjoy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDhkPym01k

rk

Koolaid
03-08-2010, 04:32 PM
http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

Ahhhh what the * is this guy talking about....

Buzz
03-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure what the guy is talking about. The census website says it's one of the shortest census forms in history. They say 10 questions in 10 minutes.

Here is a link to the form:

Maybe they didn't want to answer his questions, because he didn't know where he was getting them from?

And, if you complete your form and mail it in, who exactly is going to record the gps coordinates for your home?

I wouldn't give them mine. If they want to put a cruise missile in the front window, they'll need to come get them themselves...:rolleyes:

I hear voices...

road kill
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure what the guy is talking about. The census website says it's one of the shortest census forms in history. They say 10 questions in 10 minutes.

Here is a link to the form:

Maybe they didn't want to answer his questions, because he didn't know where he was getting them from?

And, if you complete your form and mail it in, who exactly is going to record the gps coordinates for your home?

I wouldn't give them mine. If they want to put a cruise missile in the front window, they'll need to come get them themselves...:rolleyes:
I believe that there will be X amount of field canvassers this year.
I can't get a link that I trust on this, but there was a lot of hiring for just that in WI recently.
I am still looking for a legit link....after dinner.;)

Jobs you know!!

rk

YardleyLabs
03-08-2010, 04:47 PM
According to that pesky limiting document, the Constitution, the census can be taken every 10 years!:D

Enjoy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDhkPym01k

rk
The Census has included a wide range of economic, population, and housing data for a very long time. The current law has been in place since 1980 and authorizes collection of a wide range of material and includes census surveys at internvals more frequent than the decennial census. The details of the Census are actually defined in US Code Title 13. The fines for refusal to answer questions are pretty trivial ($100) in the event someone really doesn't want to respond. A census worker who divulges information collected during the census is subject to a $5000 fine for each violation.

Marvin S
03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
In 1970 they showed up at our house for an in depth - how many rooms in your house, bathrooms, bedrooms, type of heating, etc.

I told them that information was none of their business, they asked if their supervisor could verify that I would not answer, I said fine. When he called he also asked why I would not divulge the info - my answer was that it would be used to determine minimum housing levels for public housing & I had no interest in providing something to someone who was unwilling to earn it.

As with the military - name, rank, serial number - :)

road kill
03-08-2010, 05:01 PM
http://2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs/

"Hundreds of thousands are needed for temporary jobs
Conducting the census is a huge undertaking. Hundreds of thousands of census takers are needed nationwide to help locate households and conduct brief personal interviews with residents. Most positions require a valid driver's license and use of a vehicle. However, use of public transportation may be authorized in certain areas."

http://2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs/being-a-census-taker/video.php
What are they talking about??

"The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct."

I guess we have a new law we didn't even know about!!

rk

Terry Britton
03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
The GPS coordinates on homes with actual people living in them were already done last year. I know a few Texas A&M engineering students were hired last year to get more accurate information tying homes to addresses, and recording buildings with actual occupants. I am not sure how that information will be valid in a years time with a recession and foreclosures.

The additional census questions are covered in administrative law. Administrative law gives agencies power to create their own laws. If we don't like it, then we need to have our representatives limit the power to ask questions through legislature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_law

Hoosier
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Are you required by law to answer all the questions, or just the first one?

YardleyLabs
03-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Are you required by law to answer all the questions, or just the first one?
You are required to answer all questions. The fine for refusal is pretty minimal assuming anyone ever tries to collect it. The fine for a census worker disclosing your personal information is $5000 for each count. Information remains confidential for 70 years.

DSO
03-15-2010, 08:32 PM
In 1970 they showed up at our house for an in depth - how many rooms in your house, bathrooms, bedrooms, type of heating, etc.

I told them that information was none of their business, they asked if their supervisor could verify that I would not answer, I said fine. When he called he also asked why I would not divulge the info - my answer was that it would be used to determine minimum housing levels for public housing & I had no interest in providing something to someone who was unwilling to earn it.

As with the military - name, rank, serial number - :)

That's is my concern. Call me ignorant but what the hell is in this for a middle class, blue collar family of 5 like mine? I'm guessing not much. I'm not really looking for anything other than the government to stay out of my day to day and out of my pockets. My guess is the census could only hurt me not help me. I'm sure the Southpaws out there will tell me I'm wrong.

Danny

dnf777
03-16-2010, 08:05 AM
You are required to answer all questions. The fine for refusal is pretty minimal assuming anyone ever tries to collect it. The fine for a census worker disclosing your personal information is $5000 for each count. Information remains confidential for 70 years.

What?? You mean in 70 years, how many people were living in my house in 2010 will be pubilc domain??? My God what have we become!? This is obviously a clandestine plot by Obama to retroactively tax and fund his 2080 Kenyan retirement estate, so he can live in luxury when he's 115! Hey, tap my wires, subpeona my library and credic card records, and detain my habeous corpus without legal recourse, but don't ask me how many people live at 190 Goodwill Rd!!!!!!! And if your church mentions the census...for God's sake, run away!

This is worse than Cuba!
I'll bet in Cuba, the sign off with tag lines, "we live in Estato Unidos!"

:D:D:D

Hoosier
03-16-2010, 08:17 AM
I don't think the government needs my phone number, race, birth date, ect. Heaven forbid they find out the racial makeup of my area isn't what Al Franken would like it to be. I'll tell them how many people live in my house, and that's it. I don't trust the Kenyon with any info.

YardleyLabs
03-16-2010, 08:39 AM
I don't think the government needs my phone number, race, birth date, ect. Heaven forbid they find out the racial makeup of my area isn't what Al Franken would like it to be. I'll tell them how many people live in my house, and that's it. I don't trust the Kenyon with any info.
Did you answer the same questions in 1990? What about 1980? The number of questions being asked in the universal census form has actually been reduced.

Buzz
03-16-2010, 09:02 AM

I wouldn't fill out and send in that pesky form to the IRS either.

On one hand the government has no right to know anything about me or my household, but on the other hand, they should round up every last illegal in the country and send them back to their place of origin.

luvmylabs23139
03-16-2010, 09:08 AM
The only thing we will answer is how many people live in your household. Beyond that they can go to he**. As for what we answered in the past, we got the long form in 2000, and returned it with only # of residents and MYOB written across the form.
By the way anytime I have applied for a job or done new hire paperwork I do not answer the race question. I leave it blank.
When I was either a payroll mgr or an hr mgr I never responded to any govt questions on those type of issues unless we were forced to by law.
Any and all not required by law reporting was dropped.

luvmylabs23139
03-16-2010, 09:10 AM

On one hand the government has no right to know anything about me or my household, but on the other hand, they should round up every last illegal in the country and send them back to their place of origin.

I agree! The illegals need to go or really just be eliminated!!!!!!

Hoosier
03-16-2010, 09:22 AM

So if we answer all of the questions honestly, they'll round up the illegals and ship them back? More then likely they'll confirm that my area doesn't have enough minorities and find new and creative ways to ship them in. Nothing that benefits my family will come of it.

I don't remember filling one out in 1990, I was in the Air Force at the time, so I'm sure they just ordered us to do it. In 1980 I was 11 so I don't think I filled one out.

zeus3925
03-16-2010, 10:08 AM
So if we answer all of the questions honestly, they'll round up the illegals and ship them back? More then likely they'll confirm that my area doesn't have enough minorities and find new and creative ways to ship them in. Nothing that benefits my family will come of it.

I don't remember filling one out in 1990, I was in the Air Force at the time, so I'm sure they just ordered us to do it. In 1980 I was 11 so I don't think I filled one out.

The Census will not provide the info to immigration as the data is clssified as secret for 70 years. So if immigration is going to round up illegals it has to get its information from somewhere else.

Overall the data is used in generating general information about the population of the country. It is not interested nor permitted in providing individual information to other government organizations for whatever purpose including law enforcement or immigration expulsion.

luvmylabs23139
03-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Here is the deal. If we cave to the commies we answer questions that will be used to steal our tax money and give them stuff they have no right to.
There is no plus to giving the commies what they want.

HOw may people in the house is the only thing that is in the constituition!!! The rest of the questions are a bunch of liberal BS

Hoosier
03-16-2010, 10:21 AM
The Census will not provide the info to immigration as the data is clssified as secret for 70 years. So if immigration is going to round up illegals it has to get its information from somewhere else.

Overall the data is used in generating general information about the population of the country. It is not interested nor permitted in providing individual information to other government organizations for whatever purpose including law enforcement or immigration expulsion.

I guess I should have put :rolleyes: after my first question. I'm more concerned with what they'll do with the population trend info then anything else. I know they won't use the info for anything productive, like rounding up criminals who are here illegally.

luvmylabs23139
03-16-2010, 10:24 AM

THey use the data for voting distict populations. ILLEGALS are not a part of that. ILLEGALS should not be counted for congressional districts. DUMMOCRACTS violating the constituition!!!!!
FIND THE ILLEGALS AND ELIMINATE them. That would be a responsible use of the census!!!!!

Leddyman
03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
What?? You mean in 70 years, how many people were living in my house in 2010 will be pubilc domain??? My God what have we become!? This is obviously a clandestine plot by Obama to retroactively tax and fund his 2080 Kenyan retirement estate, so he can live in luxury when he's 115! Hey, tap my wires, subpeona my library and credic card records, and detain my habeous corpus without legal recourse, but don't ask me how many people live at 190 Goodwill Rd!!!!!!! And if your church mentions the census...for God's sake, run away!

This is worse than Cuba!
I'll bet in Cuba, the sign off with tag lines, "we live in Estato Unidos!"

:D:D:D

If you are going to be a smart ass at least try to get it right.

Its Estados Unidos.

Yo quero Taco Bell regards,

zeus3925
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
THey use the data for voting distict populations. ILLEGALS are not a part of that. ILLEGALS should not be counted for congressional districts. DUMMOCRACTS violating the constituition!!!!!
FIND THE ILLEGALS AND ELIMINATE them. That would be a responsible use of the census!!!!!

Representation has always been decided by the population regardless of immigration and citizen status all the way back to the close of the Civil War. Prior to that, slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person, but non-citizens were fully counted for congressional redistricting.

If you republicans don't want to respond to the census, I am happy you won't because the Dems will profit by increased representation in their areas of dominance. Going to shoot yourselves in the foot? Go for it and I won't even consider giving you a band-aid.

dnf777
03-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Its Estados Unidos.

Now we have spell-checker police in two languages! Yee-ha! Wow, a little touchy!!

Nous habitons les Etas-unis!

(wanna spell check French, too?)

luvmylabs23139
03-16-2010, 12:59 PM
They should use the info to hunt down and remove the illegals. Afterall they will hunt you you down if you try to keep your money out of their grubby hands (IRS)

zeus3925
03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
They should use the info to hunt down and remove the illegals. Afterall they will hunt you you down if you try to keep your money out of their grubby hands (IRS)

The object is to get an accurate count, not to catch bad guys. As for illegals, I'd like to see them packing, too. But, to use the census data to track illegals would cause a discrepant count as they would be less likely to respond. Congressional representation and per capita federal expenditures would be less fair.

paul young
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
this has to be the funniest thread i've ever read on POTUS! please keep this one going!-Paul

YardleyLabs
03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
I think the entire state of Texas should protect its privacy and refuse to participate in the census! It's outrageous, and what better place to have set the example.

badbullgator
03-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Did you answer the same questions in 1990? What about 1980? The number of questions being asked in the universal census form has actually been reduced.

I must not count. I did not get one in 1980 well actually I was still in HS), 1990, and did they do one in 2000? Really I have never filled one out. I do remember one year when I was a kid a census worker came by the house and asked questions and I am going to bet that was 1970. My 84 year old mother told me she has only filled out or been visited 4 times in her life.

Eric Johnson
03-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Representation has always been decided by the population regardless of immigration and citizen status all the way back to the close of the Civil War. Prior to that, slaves were counted as 3/4 of a person, but non-citizens fully were counted for congressional redistricting.

That's 3/5, not 3/4.

Eric

ducknwork
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM

Yeah, as soon as they return the census form, I am sure there will be a Fed at their door. We just have to wait until they return the form...

*snicker snicker snort*

zeus3925
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
That's 3/5, not 3/4.

Eric

THANKS, ERIC! CORRECTION MADE!

Hoosier
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Maybe they should ask if you're employed or not, but then the administration would have to admit that unemployment is 20% or more.

YardleyLabs
03-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe they should ask if you're employed or not, but then the administration would have to admit that unemployment is 20% or more.
How do you think the estimate the number now? There are two basic methods that track well against each other. The first is a household survey where people are asked about their employment and their efforts to find employment. The second is a company payroll survey. The problem is in the definition of unemployment. If you lose a $100,000 job, but are working bagging groceries while trying to find a new job, you are not unemployed. If you are working in a job for only 20 hours per week while trying to find a full time job, you are not unemployed. Finally, if you have been unemployed for so long that you have given up and are no longer looking, you are not unemployed. Most estimates place the total of unemployed and underemployed people at more than 17%.

Because of these factors, whenever there is an extended economic slowdown -- and this one has really been going on for more than two years -- more and more people drop out of the workforce. When jobs begin to open up, that means there is a lag before the measured unemployment rate begins to decline since those people reenter the workforce now that employment seems possible. To make a serious dent in unemployment, we will need sustained job growth of more than 200,000 jobs/month for an extended period. We haven't seen numbers like that for several years and haven't seen it on a sustained, multi-year basis since Clinton was President.

ducknwork
03-17-2010, 06:57 AM
I finally got my form from the census yesterday. I think that all the hoopla has really been much ado about nothing...If you don't want to answer any questions other than the # of people in your house, then don't do it. It says on the form that you don't have to answer any of the 'information collection' questions. I'll just be telling them that I have 4 people in my house.

david gibson
03-17-2010, 07:10 AM

Its Estados Unidos.

if you are going to be RTF grammar police at least try to get it right.

its "yo quiero taco bell"

pot kettle regards

sinner
03-17-2010, 07:38 AM
1.Is it the TRUTH?
2.Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

dnf777
03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
I finally got my form from the census yesterday. I think that all the hoopla has really been much ado about nothing...If you don't want to answer any questions other than the # of people in your house, then don't do it. It says on the form that you don't have to answer any of the 'information collection' questions. I'll just be telling them that I have 4 people in my house.

Couldn't agree more. I took 3 1/3 minutes to fill mine out, and that's with 5 people in house. I find it interesting that the same crowd who is afraid to fill out a census form, are the same ones just a few years ago who were saying, 'go ahead and tap my phone, I ain't got nuttin' to hide!', when republicans were in charge! :rolleyes:

its just more fear-baiting from the tea-right. ANYTHING that happens under Obama's watch, whether it has ANYTHING to do with him or not, will be regarded as a vast left-wing communitst takeover plot by some. Conversely, anything done under a republican regime will be to protect America, and if you question it, you must be un-patriotic or have something to hide! Once again, lack of consistency.

I haven't heard it yet, but I bet green beer will be tagged as a leftist tactic to indoctrinate beer drinkers into socialism! You know, "happy hour"?

paul young
03-17-2010, 10:19 AM
1.Is it the TRUTH?
2.Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

i'm laughing so hard i'll probably screw this up.......
that depends on what your definition "it" is. pretty close to an infamous quote.....-Paul

paul young
03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Couldn't agree more. I took 3 1/3 minutes to fill mine out, and that's with 5 people in house. I find it interesting that the same crowd who is afraid to fill out a census form, are the same ones just a few years ago who were saying, 'go ahead and tap my phone, I ain't got nuttin' to hide!', when republicans were in charge! :rolleyes:

its just more fear-baiting from the tea-right. ANYTHING that happens under Obama's watch, whether it has ANYTHING to do with him or not, will be regarded as a vast left-wing communitst takeover plot by some. Conversely, anything done under a republican regime will be to protect America, and if you question it, you must be un-patriotic or have something to hide! Once again, lack of consistency.

I haven't heard it yet, but I bet green beer will be tagged as a leftist tactic to indoctrinate beer drinkers into socialism! You know, "happy hour"?

-but they ARE consistently inconsistent.-Paul

zeus3925
03-17-2010, 01:09 PM
I have had some experience working as a cartographer (map maker) using GIS systems. Census statistical information ( TIGER files) is useful in planning government services or helping a chains like Target and Walmart in locating a store, for instance. The information is by census tract not an individual's data.

Hoosier
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM

I think we are very consistent, in both cases we feel we should stand in the way of radical Muslims attempting to destroy the country. Be it Obami or the ones communicating with known terrorists.

paul young
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I think we are very consistent, in both cases we feel we should stand in the way of radical Muslims attempting to destroy the country. Be it Obami or the ones communicating with known terrorists.

JUST WHEN I THINK THIS THREAD CAN'T GET ANY FUNNIER, SOMEONE POSTS SOMETHING THAT TAKES IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!-Paul

Hoosier
03-17-2010, 02:59 PM
JUST WHEN I THINK THIS THREAD CAN'T GET ANY FUNNIER, SOMEONE POSTS SOMETHING THAT TAKES IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!-Paul

The way Obami is spending, I would consider him a terrorist. He's going to do way more damage to our country then the hijackers did.

YardleyLabs
03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
The way Obami is spending, I would consider him a terrorist. He's going to do way more damage to our country then the hijackers did.
Then you must be REALLY PO's at Bush and Cheney....

Hoosier
03-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Then you must be REALLY PO's at Bush and Cheney....

I'm not happy with them either.

huntinman
03-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I have had some experience working as a cartographer (map maker) using GIS systems. Census statistical information ( TIGER files) is useful in planning government services or helping a chains like Target and Walmart in locating a store, for instance. The information is by census tract not an individual's data.

Uh...what's a map maker?

Good thing you told us...

dnf777
03-17-2010, 07:12 PM

If you really believe that, you surely must want to waterboard Cheney, to find out where all that money went! You know, the world-record deficit spending he and Bush pushed through congress, along with their tax cuts--that have created Oh so many jobs in the past 5 years!

zeus3925
03-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Uh...what's a map maker?

Good thing you told us...

Much obliged, Bill

Eric Johnson
03-17-2010, 10:39 PM
I just don't see any problem with the form.

I just looked it over. I can't find the part that says that you don't have to answer any questions save the first one. What I did find was a statement that you didn't have to answer any questions not covered by an authorization....which the whole thing is.

The data is aggregated by census tract and is not used individually. The form has fewer questions than any census I remember and I've seen more of these things than I care to say.

As a matter of fact, we got two forms. One covers the house and one covers what we use as a kennel building and man cave but which used to be a rental unit. I'd love to see how they are going to interpret that data....0 adults and 0 children.

OTOH, all you folks who refuse to answer....think how you're helping the national debt at $100 a piece.

Eric

T. Mac
03-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Ok, question I want to know is how do you answer the question regarding the number of inhabitants on April 15th when they want the form returned immediately. Lots of things can happen to lots of people in nearly a month that would make this answer meaningless.

M&K's Retrievers
03-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Ok, question I want to know is how do you answer the question regarding the number of inhabitants on April 15th when they want the form returned immediately. Lots of things can happen to lots of people in nearly a month that would make this answer meaningless.

I'm not sure it matters. Garbage in... garbage out