PDA

View Full Version : Wal Mart

badbullgator
03-09-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't know how true the Wal Mart stats are but it sounds good

Comparing Walmart success to the US Government-run failures. Interesting to the last note.

1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private Employer, and most speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 Years ago.

11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur At a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to Fix the economy.

This should be read and understood by all Americans

Democrats, Republicans, EVERYONE!!

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature,

It is now official you are ALL corrupt morons:

The U.S. Post Service was established in 1775. You have had 234 years to get it right and it is broke.
Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 74 years to get it right and it is broke.
Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get it right and it is broke.
War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" and they only want more.
Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 44 years to get it right and they are broke.
Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get it right and it is broke.
The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 32 years to get it right and it is an abysmal failure.

You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars

AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??

ducknwork
03-09-2010, 07:57 AM
The walmart info is pretty good...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/bigwalmart.asp

WOW.

YardleyLabs
03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
It's interesting that public welfare programs -- public assistance, Medicaid, and food stamps -- are an integral part of Wal*mart's compensation programs. It pays wages that guarantee that a large portion of employees will not be able to live independently and actively assists them in applying for public benefits. I am not acutally saying this is bad, since they also provide employment to large numbers of people who might otherwise be unemployed. However, part of their low cost strategy is to pay less than the businesses they drive out of business. Another part has been to accelerate the replacement of American made goods with imports to force lower production costs without regard to the work environment provided by the producers of the goods that are stocked.

When a company is as large as Wal*mart, it is no longer simply responding to the economic environment, it is creating it. It is fair to ask if a world shaped by Wla*mart policies and processes is one that we would all choose to live in.

WaterDogRem
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
It's interesting that public welfare programs -- public assistance, Medicaid, and food stamps -- are an integral part of Wal*mart's compensation programs.

When a company is as large as Wal*mart, it is no longer simply responding to the economic environment, it is creating it. It is fair to ask if a world shaped by Wla*mart policies and processes is one that we would all choose to live in.

Who created the welfare programs for biz/people like Walmart to take advantage of them?

Byron Musick
03-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Wallmart is good;

Government run business = Bad

My favorite story;
"Back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it.

They failed and it closed. Now, we are trusting the economy of our country and 850+ Billion Dollars to a pack of nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling booze."

;)

M&K's Retrievers
03-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Wallmart is good;

Government run business = Bad

My favorite story;
"Back in 1990, the Government seized the Mustang Ranch brothel in Nevada for tax evasion and, as required by law, tried to run it.

They failed and it closed. Now, we are trusting the economy of our country and 850+ Billion Dollars to a pack of nit-wits who couldn't make money running a whore house and selling booze."

;)

Now, I'm really scared.

subroc
03-09-2010, 10:17 PM
...However, part of their low cost strategy is to pay less than the businesses they drive out of business...

What does retail pay and how does walmart differ from target, k-mart, etc?

road kill
03-10-2010, 06:53 AM
It's interesting that public welfare programs -- public assistance, Medicaid, and food stamps -- are an integral part of Wal*mart's compensation programs. It pays wages that guarantee that a large portion of employees will not be able to live independently and actively assists them in applying for public benefits. I am not acutally saying this is bad, since they also provide employment to large numbers of people who might otherwise be unemployed. However, part of their low cost strategy is to pay less than the businesses they drive out of business. Another part has been to accelerate the replacement of American made goods with imports to force lower production costs without regard to the work environment provided by the producers of the goods that are stocked.

Sounds eerily familiar......Nationalized Healthcare anyone???;-)

rk

Henry V
03-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Yes, wouldn't it me awesome to get "great value" quality health care.

badbullgator
03-10-2010, 08:05 AM

Why Henry you already can inside MANY Wal Marts. Many now have walk in clinics.

Henry V
03-10-2010, 10:14 AM
BBG,
Great point. As long as everyone has nothing much more than a cold, ear infection, small cut, or basic sore throat that system will work great.

Golddogs
03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
For those kneeling at the feet of Sam Walton, it should be pointed out that the success of Wally World came at a huge cost to what has always been considered the backbone of American capitalism, the small business and businessman. Look at the damage caused to small towns across America in the downtown districts. Wal Marts success came at a high cost to many fine Americans who were able to provid for their families w/o goverment help.

Ordering my American made GunsX thru a small business Regards

huntinman
03-10-2010, 11:08 AM
For those kneeling at the feet of Sam Walton, it should be pointed out that the success of Wally World came at a huge cost to what has always been considered the backbone of American capitalism, the small business and businessman. Look at the damage caused to small towns across America in the downtown districts. Wal Marts success came at a high cost to many fine Americans who were able to provid for their families w/o goverment help.

Ordering my American made GunsX thru a small business Regards

I can tell you from living in Alaska in the early '80s (till 2003), most up there were thrilled when we finally got K-Mart and Wal-Mart. Shipping costs in those days were outrageous and the local merchants always blamed shipping costs for their extremely high prices on everything. Most of that was true, but there was a certain amount of gouging going on as well. The day Wal-Mart and k-Mart hit town, prices started dropping for the everyday goods people need. Over time, many of the local businesses learned to compete by specializing in certain products or niche markets. Some went away. But I would bet if you asked the average long time Alaskan, the big box stores have made life easier up there for the most part.

badbullgator
03-10-2010, 12:00 PM
What you are missing is not that wally world is good bad or ugly. My intent in posting this is that the goberment does a REALLY, REALLY bad job with EVERYTHING it does.
I could care less about WM, just an example that private business does a far better job than goberment.

road kill
03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
And if the Feds take over Healthcare they will do to that vertical market what WalMart is accused of doing to thiers.

Undercutting prices and not answering for profit, the Feds will destroy 1/6th of the free market in the US economy.

rk

YardleyLabs
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
And if the Feds take over Healthcare they will do to that vertical market what WalMart is accused of doing to thiers.

Undercutting prices and not answering for profit, the Feds will destroy 1/6th of the free market in the US economy.

rk
But what bill proposes a Federal takeover of health care? None that I've seen.

road kill
03-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, Nancy said we can see it after it passes.:D
Or are you going to question her??

rk

kb27_99
03-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Whats your damn point jeff? Are you saying that the feds are NOT tring to take over heath care?

Keep dancing!

YardleyLabs
03-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Whats your damn point jeff? Are you saying that the feds are NOT tring to take over heath care?

Keep dancing!
Nothing about any bill presented as part of the health insurance reform debate has involved any Federal takeover of health care whatsoever. No one has proposed a system resembling those of either Canada or the UK. None of the bills has proposed removing insurance companies from the insurance business. In fact, any of the bills would end up in the insurance companies receiving more business. I would love to see quotes from actual proposed bills or even formal bill summaries that say otherwise.

Huff
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Wal mart treats there employees poorly. Not only do we as shoppers pay for the products so they can make a profit, but we also pay for the Walmart health care plan through medicare.

Walmart hands out public assistance info packets at orientation for new employees. They do offer their own health care, they just make it so expensive and pay so little the employees also have no choice but to go the public help route.

They also make employees work overtime without compensation or they will be fired. There is or just was a legal case dealing with millions of dollars of owed overtime issues.

I for one do not want anyone associated with walmart in charge of anything in my life. I try to not shop there but they have such a monopoly that most people do not have any choice, yet the government does not do anything about it. They have busted up At&t and tried Microsoft but no talk about walmart.

You need to look at the documentary about this called "Walmart the high cost of business" I believe it is. Will make you furious at how they treat people.

Russell

Uncle Bill
03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Wal mart treats there employees poorly. Not only do we as shoppers pay for the products so they can make a profit, but we also pay for the Walmart health care plan through medicare.

Walmart hands out public assistance info packets at orientation for new employees. They do offer their own health care, they just make it so expensive and pay so little the employees also have no choice but to go the public help route.

They also make employees work overtime without compensation or they will be fired. There is or just was a legal case dealing with millions of dollars of owed overtime issues.

I for one do not want anyone associated with walmart in charge of anything in my life. I try to not shop there but they have such a monopoly that most people do not have any choice, yet the government does not do anything about it. They have busted up At&t and tried Microsoft but no talk about walmart.

You need to look at the documentary about this called "Walmart the high cost of business" I believe it is. Will make you furious at how they treat people.

Russell

I've never seen an employee having a gun held to their heads to work there, but then, Oklahoma may be different, eh Russell?

UB

YardleyLabs
03-10-2010, 02:35 PM
It's actually "Wal*Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" and it can be seen at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3836296181471292925#.

Buzz
03-10-2010, 02:35 PM

Russell

I think you meant medicaid.

I do my level best to satisfy my shopping needs without setting foot inside of walmart.

There I did it again, broke my pledge to stay away from reading and posting here. I needed a break from reading about the smart grid.

K G
03-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Yeah, if you can wait in line and live long enough to see it start...:)

k g

Cody Covey
03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
what monopoly do they have exactly? Can you have a monopoly on low prices?! They aren't the only store out there, just because they are better at what they do then others doesn't make it a monopoly.

They are providing jobs. No one gets pissed off at McDonalds for only paying minimum wage but walmart is the spawn of satan because of it. they are not required to pay someone 100,000 a year just because they are willing to work.

Huff
03-10-2010, 03:06 PM
my point is it would you should check into how much walmart costs us as taxpayers for their employees. It does not make them the cheapest place to shop when you figure the millions of dollars that their employees draw from public assistance. I for one will pay a little more for a product to know that the employee is being paid a reasonable rate and not having to take public assistance.

And no I have not seen any guns to anyones heads either, but when they (walmart) have ran good employers out of business with their tactics and this is the only place to work what are people to do?

I guess when it boils down to it walmart has a lot of similarities to our government. The rich can take away the middle class and the rich keep getting richer. It is easier to control the poor that have nothing.

road kill
03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
my point is it would you should check into how much walmart costs us as taxpayers for their employees. It does not make them the cheapest place to shop when you figure the millions of dollars that their employees draw from public assistance. I for one will pay a little more for a product to know that the employee is being paid a reasonable rate and not having to take public assistance.

And no I have not seen any guns to anyones heads either, but when they (walmart) have ran good employers out of business with their tactics and this is the only place to work what are people to do?

I guess when it boils down to it walmart has a lot of similarities to our government. The rich can take away the middle class and the rich keep getting richer. It is easier to control the poor that have nothing.

HMMMMMM.....sort of like GM???:D

rk

Hew
03-10-2010, 06:00 PM
An episode of Penn and Teller's "BullSh*t" about WalMart hatred: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-o1fj1rX7A (it's Part 1, the other three parts are on the right side of screeen). Pretty funny stuff.

badbullgator
03-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Russell

Do you read at all or just post without thought?
THIS IS NOT ABOUT BAD OLD WAL MART! Christ! It is about how bad the goberment is at RUNNING ANYTHING!

Pals
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Well great, now BBG is yelling, internet style. Corey-our government is totally incapable of applying any common sense to one single aspect of running this nation. I am in the process of trying, emphasis on trying to fill out a Rural Energy for America program grant for a local grain elevator. I can't even begin to describe the assine papers, forms and gooberment speak. I'm contemplating wadding up the whole thing and flushing it, but that would be a total waste of water.

Marvin S
03-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Rather than us chasing down those costs why don't you enlighten us? We have Safeway, Costco, Fred Meyer (Kroger), Quality Foods (also Kroger), Target all within about a maximum of 20 miles from where we live & my wife shops all of them. I go with her on occasion & notice one thing, many of the employees at WMT would have some issue with obtaining any job at the other stores. But WMT has taken them & made them productive. I would think that possibly we should have WMT bid on the Post Office contract & the Amtrak contract, they appear to have the logistics thing down to a science. Ever wonder why, when you get a traffic ticket, that the insurance company knows about it before the ink is dry from the officer's signature?

Why don't you clarify that "good employer" comment? What is a "good employer"?

In this country if you are poor it is because, in most cases, you made conscious life style choices that placed you there. I only refer to monetary wealth, as some who chose to stay in a region where wages were low have other wealth!!!

YardleyLabs
03-10-2010, 08:39 PM

In this country if you are poor it is because, in most cases, you made conscious life style choices that placed you there. I only refer to monetary wealth, as some who chose to stay in a region where wages were low have other wealth!!!

There was a time when I believed that. I no longer do. When companies the size of AT&T, Prudential, Merril Lynch, etc., decide to outsource 50-70% of their IT work to India, it is not a lifestyle choice of the displaced staff. When decisions are made to terminate 20% of managers in a company and it coincidentally happens that almost everyone terminated is within two years of vesting retirement benefits, it is not a lifestyle choice. There are a lot of people in this country who followed all the "rules", paid their bills, managed their finances responsibly, and are now out in the cold. Add a major illness into the equation and you are likely to find someone who is now homeless, bankrupt, and virtually unemployable.

Jim Pickering
03-10-2010, 09:29 PM
An episode of Penn and Teller's "BullSh*t" about WalMart hatred: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-o1fj1rX7A (it's Part 1, the other three parts are on the right side of screeen). Pretty funny stuff.

Thank you!! The videos saved me a ton of typing.

My child bride recently gained employed by Walmart and thus far cannot stop talking about how great the company is. She has found the corporate culture to be far superior to anything she had experienced in her prior 32 years of employment by major retailers. While I cannot speak to Walmarts pay scales, I can say that their employee benefits program is second to none.

In any case given that Walmart is now funding my dog habit I can certainly do without the bashing, thank you.

Save Money. Live Better.

kdeckels
03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
While I won't bash them, they don't carry the dog food or any other dog supplies I want, they deeply cut into their hunting dept., I have to wear dress clothes to work - I just can't see a thing in that mammoth store I want.

YardleyLabs
03-11-2010, 06:28 AM
I am actually not a Wal*Mart basher. While it concerns me that only 40% of their employees can qualify and/or pay for health benefits, I believe the right solution is for companies to stop paying benefits for any of their employees since it dramatically increases the cost of lower level employees (thereby encouraging elimination of those jobs) and decreases our ability to compete on a global basis, helping to drive jobs out of the US to countries where employers are not saddled with those costs. And while Wal*Mart has a very high percentage of low paid employees, that is the business it is in and those jobs provide employment for large numbers of people who would be shunned by other employers, giving them structure, training, experience, and income that is a lot preferable to unemployment

The biggest impact of Wal*Mart is actually in their relationship with their suppliers. That impact is not inherently bad, but it is painful. I suspect Wal*Mart has done more to drive the globalization of manufacturing than all of our trade agreements put together. In their relentless pursuit of lower prices, they have worked hard to develop suppliers in parts of the world with the lowest possible costs of labor, and by doing so have accelerated the pace of globalization, but not affected its direction. The reality is that a globalized economy forces globalization of wage scales. People in high wage countries will see their incomes fall, while those in low income countries will theirs rise until they reach a level of economic equilibrium. For the US, that is and will continue to be a painful transition. Consumers have benefited from this strategy in the form of dramatically lower costs of goods.

Wal*Mart has also set the standard for continuously improving sourcing, inventory management, distribution, information management, and process management. Their demand for efficiency has forced their business partners (junior partners) to keep pace or fail. The improvements made by the survivors have been dramatic. It is hard to call that a bad thing.

However, if Wal*Mart is going to define the future of retailing, some of our institutions need to adapt to keep up. One of those is health care. Hopefully, we will succeed in moving toward national health insurance now. It will oly be more painful later.

Hew
03-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Wal*Mart has also set the standard for continuously improving sourcing, inventory management, distribution, information management, and process management. Their demand for efficiency has forced their business partners (junior partners) to keep pace or fail. The improvements made by the survivors have been dramatic. It is hard to call that a bad thing.
My brother lives in Bentonville (WalMart HQ) and reps/sells to them. He'd give you a big amen to the above. They are very demanding of their vendors (where does a 10,000lb elephant sit?....), but as long as the vendor can keep up with WalMart's pace they're sitting on a goldmine. They also use their very big stick to enforce their workplace policies on their overseas vendors. My brother had to go to China and settle a dispute between WalMart and a company he was working for. Walmart sent their workplace compliance inspector to the factories to check conditions. The inspector was S. Korean. The Chinese factory managers resented being subservient to, and bossed around by, a Korean (apparently they don't like each other) and harrassed the guy and weren't cooperative. WalMart was on the verge of cancelling the multi-million dollar order over the whole thing. Eventually everyone hugged it out and the inspector returned and completed his work at the factories. Maybe WalMart should run the United Nations, too. :D

ducknwork
03-11-2010, 08:19 AM
It wasn't that long ago that WalMart's slogan was 'We buy American so you can too.' Can all of the blame really be placed on Wal Mart when it is the consumer that is constantly demanding lower prices and the American worker that is constantly demanding higher wages? You can't have both and still buy American. What do we want...higher prices or lower wages?

Gotcha by the balls regards,

YardleyLabs
03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
It wasn't that long ago that WalMart's slogan was 'We buy American so you can too.' Can all of the blame really be placed on Wal Mart when it is the consumer that is constantly demanding lower prices and the American worker that is constantly demanding higher wages? You can't have both and still buy American. What do we want...higher prices or lower wages?

Gotcha by the balls regards,
The reality is that American workers have seen their wages decline significantly over the last decade when you consider both the effects of inflation and devaluation of the dollar. Despite this, our wages remain high by global standards, our trade remains out of balance, and our real wages will continue going down as a result. Some, but not all of this is attributable to unrealistic exchange rates between the US and China. However, China is not very likely to accept a devaluation of the dollar againt the Yuan as long as they hold trillions in dollar denominated securities.

American worker productivity has increased substantially, but the productivity of workers in other countries has grown even faster, closing much of the gap that originally justified America's higher wages. Investment that might otherwise have been made to help improve American productivity more, has been applied to moving jobs to lower wage regions of the world and improving productivity there instead. While this may make short term economic sense, it makes no long term sense for the US economy at all.

In the future, our consumer driven economy will have to find its consumers in other countries since the consumers here can no longer afford to pay. This is already being seen since much of the recovery in corporate profits has come from sales overseas. Unfortunately, this has not helped our balance of trade because those are actually goods that we are already making overseas.

The other side of this picture is that return on capital has gone up as return on labor has declined. That is contributing to the growing income and wealth divide that we see in the US. Given that capital is infinitely more mobile than labor, the shift is not surprising.

Many want to end or curtail globalization to combat these trends. While this sounds nice, it is unrealistic. The cat is out of the bag and cannot be stuffed back in. However, if we are going to have a long term future, there will need to be changes that are not going to some from companies or investors seeking to maximize short term profits.

thebigcat
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=Golddogs;580941]For those kneeling at the feet of Sam Walton, it should be pointed out that the success of Wally World came at a huge cost to what has always been considered the backbone of American capitalism, the small business and businessman. Look at the damage caused to small towns across America in the downtown districts. Wal Marts success came at a high cost to many fine Americans who were able to provid for their families w/o goverment help.

You say that small businesses and the businessman is directly correlated to "American Capitalism"? Well that might have been the case 20 years ago. American business as we know it has evolved. Customers are more savvy, their purchasing behavior is not based on loyalty anymore, it's based upon price. Walmart intentions on securing the lowest cost of products to deliver the lowest cost to the consumer might have driven small businesses to bankruptcy. However, you must applaud their efforts for being a driven, innovative and forward thinking company. They knew what really mattered to the customer and have based their whole business model on the theory of driving down cost.

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for those who have lost their jobs due to layoffs or cutbacks. Unfortunately it is part of life. A primary reason for unemployment getting the high level of recognition in past years because it's more prevalent and widespread now than ever.

I'm going to put it out there plain and simple and then get off my soap box. If you're unable to remain competitive in the market that you service, regardless if you're fighting the worlds largest retailer or another small business, then your days as a business/corporation are numbered.

cycler
03-11-2010, 09:52 AM
While this show does not relate to the point the OP intention with this thread, it is none the less very interesting, and shows how WM impacts communities and businesses, all in the name of lower prices.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/