PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowl food plot

Chad Westfall
03-23-2010, 07:59 AM
I am interested in planting a food plot, mainly for ducks, but I live in Central WV where flooding fields is not a common practice. Our best habitat is generally natural either flooded bottomlands or beaver ponds. My question is--is there any seeds that can germinate & grow under water, while providing good forage for ducks? Most of these areas already have aquatic vegetation started so it would need to compete with the established mostly aquatic vegetation.

Also I would not be able to treat the site before planting. Too swampy to disc & a little reluctant to herbicide.

Seems like a tall order to me but I know there are people out there that have thought the same thing I am--hopefully someone succeeded.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Courser
03-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Try to contact local seed company or Bio Logic, I am not sure about cufa but I do know that is planted for ducks. But I would check with a local extension office or seed company

Mike W.
03-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Don't think you are gonna have much luck with underwater food plots. Generally speaking, you need to draw the water down. You can get a very good plant response by broadcasting millet and or sorghum onto the mud flats.