PDA

View Full Version : To Yardley.

Uncle Bill
04-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Only after scanning several threads have I become informed about your broken leg. Sounds like you are on the mend, so no need for any prayers for your recovery eh?

I am however, remiss in not properly recognizing you and your brethern on the Ceremonial Day for Atheists,...so belatedly, I send you best wishes.

UB

YardleyLabs
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Only after scanning several threads have I become informed about your broken leg. Sounds like you are on the mend, so no need for any prayers for your recovery eh?

I am however, remiss in not properly recognizing you and your brethern on the Ceremonial Day for Atheists,...so belatedly, I send you best wishes.

UB
Thank you for the thought. However, my atheism is not a belief, it is an absence of belief and doesn't require celebration. I have met, but never understood, those who proselytize for atheism. I think that beliefs are fine, whatever they may be, but only actions count. I have celebrated both Passover and Easter for my entire life, and wish happy holidays to all.

Terry Britton
04-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Belief wasn't easy for the 12 disciples either, and they were direct witnesses.

So, what makes an electron spin around a nucleolus?

What gives living things the power to control matter?

:)

John Schmidt
04-02-2010, 06:05 PM
So, what makes an electron spin around a nucleolus?

:)

Electrons do not spin around the nucleus of an atom. See any quantum mechanics book to understand why the Bohr model that you are referring to is wrong. Electrons have probability distributions which correspond to their position in space.

Lots and lots of energy . . . . see LHC for example.

John Schmidt

YardleyLabs
04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
A traditional argument for God is as an explanation for all that we do not understand -- that is, if science can't explain it then God must have caused it. However, that logic holds not water since it still leaves no explanation for what created God. There will always be gaps in our understanding of the universe in which we live. Those gaps keep moving and it is not even possible to say whether we understand a lot or a little of what there is to know.

For some people, faith fills that hole in our understanding and gives meaning to what exists. It helps explain all the miracles. Personally, I am comfortable not having an explanation. I am continuously amazed even by the miracles we do understand, not just those we don't. I also am a believer in what Mr. Pierce, my ninth grade English teacher, used to call "the Great Moral Universe." Basic morality in social interactions is a necessary part of life, not something that exists only because of a commandment from God. They can almost all be summed up in a commitment to treating your neighbor as you would want to be treated yourself.

Further, I believe that we must all take personal responsibility for our morality. In a sense I believe it is too important to blame on God because that can create an opening for excusing immoral acts. In my world, there are no excuses for behavior; we are what we do and our immortality is defined by the ripples our acts leave behind.

dnf777
04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I loved the line from the one episode of "House" that I watched. He performed a miracle surgery to remove a tumor from a little boy's brain. The mother cried, "thank God!", to which House replied, "You should thank ME....God gave him the tumor!"

road kill
04-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Mr. Yardley,
Team Elvis hopes for your full recovery quickly so as you can get out and enjoy the summer at the trials or tests of your choice.
Sincerely,

rk

YardleyLabs
04-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Mr. Yardley,
Team Elvis hopes for your full recovery quickly so as you can get out and enjoy the summer at the trials or tests of your choice.
Sincerely,

rk
Thank you Stan. Happy Easter.

Pete
04-02-2010, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE] They can almost all be summed up in a commitment to treating your neighbor as you would want to be treated yourself/QUOTE]

One of the 2 great commandments by the way.

Pete

gward
04-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I would rather be safe than sorry! PRAISE THE LORD HONEY!

Terry Britton
04-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Yardley - Have a speedy recovery, and a Happy Easter.

There are many going through the motions in many churches that won't admit they won't believe much of anything. At least you are one step farther along than they are. :)

Terry Britton
04-03-2010, 12:26 AM
I would rather be safe than sorry! PRAISE THE LORD HONEY!

I can't help but laugh at the "rather be safe than sorry" comment after tonight. I hope this doesn't offend anyone here. My church brought in a Jewish Rabbi to host a traditional Jewish Passover meal tonight. The Rabbi talked about the traditional original laws, and how to be safe, the priests kept adding to the laws to help protect against breaking any of God's laws. And as they thought on each law, they kept adding and adding laws to the point they can't even eat a cheeseburger since they can't mix dairy and meat due to the risk of an original law that you can't cook the meat of a lamb in the milk of it's mother. So they just keep outlawing a whole bunch of things one after another over thousands of years because it is better to be safe than sorry.