PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger walks

dnf777
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Very interesting announcement today, that charges would NOT be filed against Big Ben. Who knows what really happened, but its clear that a career can be stymied by mere accusations. I've heard people say, "one more time, and he'll be gone". I say, One more WHAT? Its just possible, that he has done nothing wrong, and that star-studded gold-diggers are out to make a buck and steal a moment in the spotlight, off his celebrity?! So what, if another crank falsely accused him, his career should be cut short or altered against his will?

I'm not saying he's clean. I, like everyone else, just don't know. But I do know, that unless he's found guilty by due process, he should not be deprived of his property, job, or status. Is he entitled to collect damages from the women who slandered him? If they can't show truth in their claims, and those claims have damaged him, aren't they liable?

If I were in his shoes, I would have an entourage with me at all time when out, and at least one video camera capturing every encounter with the public. No more 'he said, she said'. All on film.

Franco
04-12-2010, 04:33 PM
You had to figure charges would be dropped when the 20 year old woman's parents didn't want to drag her through a criminal court proceeding.

What surprised me was the Steelers trading 27 year old Santonio Holmes/ Super Bowl MVP to the Jets for a 5th round pick!

BonMallari
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
To borrow two lines from Denzel Washington

" Its not what you know, its what you can prove "

and

"do you want to go home or do you want to go to jail "

ducknwork
04-12-2010, 04:51 PM
If Ray Lewis, Donte Stallworth, Albert Haynesworth, Mike Vick, and a slew of other players are still in the NFL, Big Ben should have no problem. UNLESS...

it's because he's white...

freefall319
04-12-2010, 05:01 PM
If I were in his shoes, I would have an entourage with me at all time when out, and at least one video camera capturing every encounter with the public. No more 'he said, she said'. All on film.

Nice, Big Ben does Pittsburgh.:D ...............Ah, had too.

I do agree with you though. It's sad when all a woman has to do is say that it was rape and not just sex between consenting adults. The damage from those type's of allegations may never go away, even though he was proven innocent. But, that's the world we live in now........:rolleyes:

dnf777
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
One glaring ethical void, is the allowing of the plaintiff or her attorneys to even contact the defendant or his attorneys. This is a criminal case, not civil court. If she's going to allege CRIMINAL activity, then she should not be allowed to contact the defendant in order to secure "hush money" and hence dropped charges. This implicitly allows the buying and selling of testimony and silence, thus influencing a CRIMINAL investigation. One small but important point: he was not proven innocent. The question will live in limbo now forever. Already people are saying "one more episode...." WHAT? If he's falsely accused again, he's fired? Who knows what happened or didn't happen. All I know is the count stand at two strikes, and there really hasn't even been a pitch thrown yet!

duk4me
04-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Very interesting announcement today, that charges would NOT be filed against Big Ben. Who knows what really happened, but its clear that a career can be stymied by mere accusations. I've heard people say, "one more time, and he'll be gone". I say, One more WHAT? Its just possible, that he has done nothing wrong, and that star-studded gold-diggers are out to make a buck and steal a moment in the spotlight, off his celebrity?! So what, if another crank falsely accused him, his career should be cut short or altered against his will?

I'm not saying he's clean. I, like everyone else, just don't know. But I do know, that unless he's found guilty by due process, he should not be deprived of his property, job, or status. Is he entitled to collect damages from the women who slandered him? If they can't show truth in their claims, and those claims have damaged him, aren't they liable?

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Ben had two off duty Pittsburg policemen in his entourage traveling with him.

I think he is a goofball, moto riding helmetless when his contract forbid it, but he is a young single man. Most of us have done worse.

njord4
04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
I just don't understand why he risks it... If I were a star quarterback in the NFL, I would just stay at home until I finished football, and then I'd start clubbing. It's just not worth it in this day and age. If he weren't there in the first place, this wouldn't have happened.

duk4me
04-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I just don't understand why he risks it... If I were a star quarterback in the NFL, I would just stay at home until I finished football, and then I'd start clubbing. It's just not worth it in this day and age. If he weren't there in the first place, this wouldn't have happened.

That is easy to say but hard to do. Take away the star quarterback and replace it with young and succesful anything and you should just stay home while all the friends you grew up with are out there having fun?:confused:

99% of us will never know what those guys lives are like and what they actualy put up with. I won't condemn him for what a drunk 20 yr old accused him of when the authorities won't press charges against him.

Ok I take it back he should just sit home with his mom and dad until he gets out of the NFL. Hey the guy ain't Roy Tarpley doing drugs he likes to have fun with his friends. BTW I used to do that too.

Marvin S
04-12-2010, 06:15 PM
What's this garbage doing on POTUS Place?

dnf777
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Sorry, i forgot to get your pre-authorization. I thought we were discussing an issue related to the politics of gender related issues and justice.

If as a moderator or designee you object to this topic on POTUS, I'll gladly delete my original post, thus the entire thread.

duk4me
04-12-2010, 06:33 PM
What's this garbage doing on POTUS Place?

Why did you read that many post?

M&K's Retrievers
04-12-2010, 09:46 PM
If Ray Lewis, Donte Stallworth, Albert Haynesworth, Mike Vick, and a slew of other players are still in the NFL, Big Ben should have no problem. UNLESS...

[

it's because he's white...

Ray Lewis would not be so lucky today.

YardleyLabs
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
As I understand it the prosecutor indicated that there wasn't even enough evidence to constitute probable cause, much less sustain an arrest and indictment. Having gone through the wrong end of mob justice once when I was accused of rape at the age of 13 (An older boy admitted one day later that he had started the rumor as a joke, but few students believed him since the rumor was more fun to talk about.), I am inclined not to make too many assumptions until there is some actual evidence on the table.

Uncle Bill
04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
As I understand it the prosecutor indicated that there wasn't even enough evidence to constitute probable cause, much less sustain an arrest and indictment. Having gone through the wrong end of mob justice once when I was accused of rape at the age of 13 (An older boy admitted one day later that he had started the rumor as a joke, but few students believed him since the rumor was more fun to talk about.), I am inclined not to make too many assumptions until there is some actual evidence on the table.

Man-O-Man...when isn't this ALL ABOUT YOU??? Is there nothing written or done in this world that you don't have a 'can-you-top-this' story...taken right from your personal life?

Big Ben will eventually realize you are judged by the company you keep. If you don't want sleezy accusations or phoney charges to be thrown at you, get out of that environment. Otherwise, you are fair game for the SFN crowd, and the tabloids that live for that trash.

UB