PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to thank our current President...

K G
04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
...for doing EVERYTHING he can to return a Republican majority to Congress and for making sure he's a "one and done" President.

To whit... http://wicker.enews.senate.gov/common/mailings/index.cfm?sniv=2100056606.58699.405.1

The devil is in the details regards,

k g

Gerry Clinchy
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
If this assessment is accurate, then it is one of the bigger boondoggles perpetrated by this administration ... making us think that something is moving forward when it is actually back-tracking.

road kill
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
If this assessment is accurate, then it is one of the bigger boondoggles perpetrated by this administration ... making us think that something is moving forward when it is actually back-tracking.
Really???
It's sort of "status quo," don't you think???:confused:

BTW---Did you ever think for 1 second this guy would let anybody poke one whole in the ground....anywhere??
PUHLEEEEEEEEEESE!!!

rk

Gerry Clinchy
04-12-2010, 09:34 PM
BTW---Did you ever think for 1 second this guy would let anybody poke one whole in the ground....anywhere??

Actually I didn't, so found this announcement kind of surprising. I think the US oil/gas potentials will be needed until transition can be made to alternatives. The supplies are finite, so alternative fuels are inevitable (I believe).

If the Senator's assessment is correct, it means that this announcement was a purely political move to make the voters believe that steps were being taken to help the energy shortage situation. Everyone is feeling the pinch from energy costs, and it's not going to get better.

Franco
04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
From the Oil & Gas Journal...

After The Hill’s energy and environment Blog posted a story on Mar. 3 (at http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/84781-salazar-eyes-sequential-offshore-drilling-plans) quoting Salazar saying that the next five-year program would cover the 2012-17 instead of 2010-15 period, however, critics erupted. “Secretary Salazar has finally confirmed what had long been feared – that the Obama administration has no intention of opening up new areas for offshore drilling during his four years in office,” House Natural Resources Committee Ranking Minority Member Doc Hastings (R-Wash.) said on Mar. 8.

Another lie from Obama?
I guess we don't know yet who is working the puppet Obama's strings.

From WSJ...
Article from the Wall Street Journal - by Eddie Sessions:
>>>
>>> "I have this theory about Barack Obama. I think he's led a kind of make-believe life in which money was provided and doors were opened because at some point early on somebody or some group took a look at this tall, good looking, half-white, half-black, young man with an exotic African/Muslim name and concluded he could be guided toward a life in politics where his facile speaking skills could even put him in the White House.
>>>
>>> In a very real way, he has been a young man in a very big hurry. Who else do you know has written two memoirs before the age of 45? "Dreams of My Father" was published in 1995 when he was only 34 years old. The "Audacity of Hope" followed in 2006. If, indeed, he did write them himself. There are some who think that his mentor and friend, Bill Ayers, a man who calls himself a "communist with a small 'c'" was the real author.
>>>
>>> His political skills consisted of rarely voting on anything that might be deemed controversial. He went from a legislator in the Illinois legislature to the Senator from that state because he had the good fortune of having Mayor Daley's formidable political machine at his disposal.
>>>
>>> He was in the U.S. Senate so briefly that his bid for the presidency was either an act of astonishing self-confidence or part of some greater game plan that had been determined before he first stepped foot in the Capital. How, many must wonder, was he selected to be a 2004 keynote speaker at the Democrat convention that nominated John Kerry when virtually no one had ever even heard of him before?
>>>
>>> He outmaneuvered Hillary Clinton in primaries. He took Iowa by storm. A charming young man, an anomaly in the state with a very small black population, he oozed "cool" in a place where agriculture was the antithesis of cool. He dazzled the locals. And he had an army of volunteers drawn to a charisma that hid any real substance.
>>>
>>> And then he had the great good fortune of having the Republicans select one of the most inept candidates for the presidency since Bob Dole. And then John McCain did something crazy. He picked Sarah Palin, an unknown female governor from the very distant state of Alaska . It was a ticket that was reminiscent of 1984's Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro and they went down to defeat.
>>>
>>> The mainstream political media fell in love with him. It was a schoolgirl crush with febrile commentators like Chris Mathews swooning then and now over the man. The venom directed against McCain and, in particular, Palin, was extraordinary.
>>>
>>> Now, nearly a full year into his first term, all of those gilded years leading up to the White House have left him unprepared to be President. Left to his own instincts, he has a talent for saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. It swiftly became a joke that he could not deliver even the briefest of statements without the ever-present Tele-Prompters.
>>>
>>> Far worse, however, is his capacity to want to "wish away" some terrible realities, not the least of which is the Islamist intention to destroy America and enslave the West. Any student of history knows how swiftly Islam initially spread. It knocked on the doors of Europe, having gained a foothold in Spain .
>>>
>>> The great crowds that greeted him at home or on his campaign "world tour" were no substitute for having even the slightest grasp of history and the reality of a world filled with really bad people with really bad intentions.
>>>
>>> Oddly and perhaps even inevitably, his political experience, a cakewalk, has positioned him to destroy the Democrat Party's hold on power in Congress because in the end it was never about the Party. It was always about his communist ideology, learned at an early age from family, mentors, college professors, and extreme leftist friends and colleagues.
>>>
>>> Obama is a man who could deliver a snap judgment about a Boston police officer who arrested an "obstreperous" Harvard professor-friend, but would warn Americans against "jumping to conclusions" about a mass murderer at Fort Hood who shouted "Allahu Akbar." The absurdity of that was lost on no one. He has since compounded this by calling the Christmas bomber "an isolated extremist" only to have to admit a day or two later that he was part of an al Qaeda plot.
>>>
>>> He is a man who could strive to close down our detention facility at Guantanamo even though those released were known to have returned to the battlefield against America . He could even instruct his Attorney General to afford the perpetrator of 9/11 a civil trial when no one else would ever even consider such an obscenity. And he is a man who could wait three days before having anything to say about the perpetrator of yet another terrorist attack on Americans and then have to elaborate on his remarks the following day because his first statement was so lame.
>>>
>>> The pattern repeats itself. He either blames any problem on the Bush administration or he naively seeks to wish away the truth.
>>>
>>> Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual's life.
>>>
>>> When anyone else would quickly and easily produce a birth certificate, this man has spent over a million dollars to deny access to his. Most other documents, the paper trail we all leave in our wake, have been sequestered from review. He has lived a make-believe life whose true facts remain hidden.
>>>
>>> We laugh at the ventriloquist's dummy, but what do you do when the dummy is President of the United States of America ?"

Henry V
04-12-2010, 10:23 PM
...for doing EVERYTHING he can to return a Republican majority to Congress and for making sure he's a "one and done" President.

To whit... http://wicker.enews.senate.gov/common/mailings/index.cfm?sniv=2100056606.58699.405.1

The devil is in the details regards,

k g
If you are interested in the energy policy piece of this, check out http://www.grist.org/article/2010-04-01-me-in-the-nyt-on-obamas-drilling-plan/

Glad to see that Senator is so worried about the "delay" in this proposal when.
According the U.S. Energy Information Administration, there likely won't be any oil from these new offshore areas until 2017, and full production won't ramp up until 2030. Even when it does, it will produce some 100,000 new barrels a day -- about 1/1,000 of total global supply. The impact on oil prices will be "insignificant," says the Energy Information Administration, and it won't make America any less dependent on foreign oil, either.
Details, details.

Here is a good report just released on future oil supplies by the DOD http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/11/peak-oil-production-supply
and a bunch of good stuff here too. http://www.eia.doe.gov/conference/2010/?featureclicked=1&
with an interesting summary of the energy secretary's presentation at http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6364#more

Terry Britton
04-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Actually I didn't, so found this announcement kind of surprising. I think the US oil/gas potentials will be needed until transition can be made to alternatives. The supplies are finite, so alternative fuels are inevitable (I believe).

If the Senator's assessment is correct, it means that this announcement was a purely political move to make the voters believe that steps were being taken to help the energy shortage situation. Everyone is feeling the pinch from energy costs, and it's not going to get better.

Alternatives won't cut it. Many are just conversions of existing fossil fuels. Some such as electricity from windmills aren't that cheap or reliable, plus the batteries are expensive. Both next generation biodiesel and ethanol require so much water that at larger production levels the water scarcity becomes a major problem even though the energy gains are nice. For next generation gasification ethanol, it takes over 20 gallons of water to produce one gallon of fuel at the processing plant not including the water intake of the biomas.

Gerry Clinchy
04-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Alternatives won't cut it.

I'll take your engineering word for it that none of the alternatives we can think of now will do the trick ... but the oil certainly appears to be a finite commodity, so we'll have to come up with something that works.

I saw the the energy tax credit on the Fed Inc Tax includes "biomass" heating. One of their specific examples is heating with wood or pellets. I just knew it ... to save energy they'll encourage us to go back to candles and wood heat. Coal is not one of the "biomass" fuels that is rewarded with a credit.

The local utility is paying $30 for people to "turn in" the old freezer in the garage or basement. And they'll pick it up and dispose of it as well. By getting rid of these old energy-guzzling appliances they hope it will help them meet the state-mandated reductions in energy usage. And they are encouraging people to switch their heating to oil or natural gas :-) I'm wondering when they'll start giving out the free candles.

dnf777
04-13-2010, 05:16 AM
Last year we upgraded to a high-efficiency propane boiler. Got a $1000 tax credit, and have saved about $400/month in heating and electric bills (we make hot water off our boiler). Not including the tax break, that's over $3600 in my pocket instead of the oil company's! That's a lot of Dokkens!

WRL
04-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Last year we upgraded to a high-efficiency propane boiler. Got a $1000 tax credit, and have saved about $400/month in heating and electric bills (we make hot water off our boiler). Not including the tax break, that's over $3600 in my pocket instead of the oil company's! That's a lot of Dokkens!

You saved over "$400/month" in heating and electric bills? $1000 plus $400 x 12 does NOT equal $3600......

Is this some sort of "Democrat math".....or "fuzzy math".....

How much were your bills before the boiler? I suggest you put windows in the "big holes in the walls" and some insulation in the little ones.

WRL

dnf777
04-13-2010, 07:55 AM
You saved over "$400/month" in heating and electric bills? $1000 plus $400 x 12 does NOT equal $3600......

Is this some sort of "Democrat math".....or "fuzzy math".....

How much were your bills before the boiler? I suggest you put windows in the "big holes in the walls" and some insulation in the little ones.

WRL

I said "not including the tax break". The nine months we run heat at least occasionally, we averaged 400 less per month over our antiquated oil fired boiler. 9x400= $3600

Add to that the 1k tax credit, and by this spring (about now) we hit our break-even on the furnace installation.

No fuzzy math here.

Buzz
04-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Alternatives won't cut it.

Then in the end, we are all doomed.

Buzz
04-13-2010, 08:31 AM
One of their specific examples is heating with wood or pellets. I just knew it ... to save energy they'll encourage us to go back to candles and wood heat.

I have been supplementing with wood for years. When I built my house, I put in a wood stove that looks like a fireplace and had ducts installed to move the heat around the house with a blower. My highest gas bill this winter was about $100. During the summer, I pay about $30 for hot water and cooking. Not too bad, and I keep it as warm in the house as I want it. If I'm chilly, I throw on some extra logs and push the temp up to 75˚ and don't give it a second thought. This is a bad solution for lazy people however, it takes a little work to keep up with it.

Terry Britton
04-13-2010, 09:17 AM
I'll take your engineering word for it that none of the alternatives we can think of now will do the trick ... but the oil certainly appears to be a finite commodity, so we'll have to come up with something that works.

I saw the the energy tax credit on the Fed Inc Tax includes "biomass" heating. One of their specific examples is heating with wood or pellets. I just knew it ... to save energy they'll encourage us to go back to candles and wood heat. Coal is not one of the "biomass" fuels that is rewarded with a credit.

The local utility is paying $30 for people to "turn in" the old freezer in the garage or basement. And they'll pick it up and dispose of it as well. By getting rid of these old energy-guzzling appliances they hope it will help them meet the state-mandated reductions in energy usage. And they are encouraging people to switch their heating to oil or natural gas :-) I'm wondering when they'll start giving out the free candles.

For those that drive E-85 vehicles, I am for smaller scale ethanol production. 1 acre of grass clippings can produce 5 to 10 (and maybe as high as 15) barrels of fuel per year. That would be enough for me to drive at least 6 to 9 months back and forth to work on pennies on the dollar. The owner of the intellectual property won't allow the technology to be used on anything less than a production plant producing 1 million barrels per year. Smaller scale localized production won't put a drain on resources like the industrial production levels would, but of course the small scale plant would cost more in capital per return than the large industrial plant would.

Terry Britton
04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Then in the end, we are all doomed.

When required, I am sure we will make large technology leaps similar to what we did with cars and airplanes from the early 1900's to even WWII.