PDA

View Full Version : Turbo tax work around help

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
OK, short version. I had a computer crash but have a hard copy back up of last years return. All I need to do is plug in a number that stays the same but turbo tax won't let me do it this year. I can't figure out where I can just simply type in the home office depreciation $ without recreating the whole darn thing. Talk about frustration. I'm ready to just start filling everything in by hand and filing the old fashioned way.

Terry Britton
04-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Yikes, for that you might have to call the Turbo Tax help desk, or use their online chat.

For future with important stuff like this, I know of guys that use two external hard drives and sometimes a cd or DVD as backup too. They copy the important stuff to one of the external hard drives on a regular basis. Then they keep CD copies in a fireproof safe, and additional external hard drive that is updated once or twice a year in a safety deposit box. We only use the one external hard drive, but copy the important information and files to multiple computers then too.

Good luck.

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2010, 09:45 AM
I just spent 2 hours feeding turbo tax the info it wanted. All of this to get to the same point that years ago would have been simple. Grrr. I had the darn $ that would be the end result in hand before I started.
MY own fault. I got lazy and never expected a 2 year old personal laptop to crap out.
I got spoiled with everything being backed up to a network hourly.
In the old days everything was done to disc and thus always backed up. As my husband says I really need to get out of the DOS world.

pat addis
04-14-2010, 10:14 AM
call tim gietner he is the genious obama put in charge of our recovery.oh wait he didn't pay his taxes till he got found out.

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Yeah,maybe I should just write (rangle rule) across the top of my return!!

Gerry Clinchy
04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I keep all the tax return files (and Quicken) backed up on a flash drive.

Have been using H&R Tax Cut the past few years. It works pretty well, and it will import Turbo Tax data (as it had to do for me the first year I switched).

dnf777
04-14-2010, 01:14 PM
For the past three years, we bellied up and paid a tax accountant to do our taxes. Best money I ever spent. It cost more than TT or HR block, but we did much better, and it more than covered the cost.

ducknwork
04-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Me too, DNF. That is money well spent!

dnf777
04-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Duck,
you still here? All that other bs went over my head, don't know if it was a joke, or you got the black dot.

Buzz
04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Glad to say that my taxes have been done for 2 months.

Sad to say that tomorrow I write a check and and mail in in...:rolleyes:

Cody Covey
04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
First off go buy a 70 dollar external hard drive and back up your computer. Second if you haven't installed a whole bunch of stuff yet do a google on recuva. It is a program that will query your hard drive and let you bring back files if they haven't been overwritten. Saved my bacon once when i Deleted the CEO of the companies outlook contacts...all 3400 of them haha.

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Finally done, filed, and backed up!

luvmylabs23139
04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
For the past three years, we bellied up and paid a tax accountant to do our taxes. Best money I ever spent. It cost more than TT or HR block, but we did much better, and it more than covered the cost.

Both DH and I have our CPA's, although neither of us actually use them anymore. It would be pretty bad if we used a tax accountant!