PDA

View Full Version : Constitutional Carry

dback
04-16-2010, 09:15 PM
will become law in Arizona, 90 days hence...third state to do so. What do you all think?
www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hqkVitwyfAJp24yVkQxi2ayn2XFwD9F4FAJ05

M&K's Retrievers
04-17-2010, 12:25 AM
I think it's great! The way it's suposed to be.

dnf777
04-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Its ok for me and most of us on RTF to carry w/o permits...I feel more comfortable like that. But for the other 299,999,500 people out there.....I don't know?

I actually enjoyed the opportunity to meet our sheriff and a few deputies when I got my permit. Very friendly, quick process. I'm not opposed to a permit for such a significant decision, so long as its not used merely as a delaying and avoidance tactic.

badbullgator
04-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I love it every state should have it.
More over every state should have open carry as well

Franco
04-18-2010, 09:54 AM
I have a Concealed Weapon Permit and think everyone that packs heat should have to go through the classes in order to apply for the permit. Before anyone draws a pistol from the holster, they need to know the laws such as when it is permissable to shoot someone, where a pistol can be carried and all the other laws that might land one in jail or sued for violating the laws and rights of indivduals. If you think you have to shoot someone, the key words are; "I thought they was going to kill me". Other than that, if you shoot someone, you are in deep dodo.

P S Most of may handguns are too big to conceal. I keep a 9mm in my truck. a 357 in my nightstand, a 45 icp in my workshop and a Walther 22LR in my pocket. ;-)

M&K's Retrievers
04-18-2010, 10:15 AM
.45 Mag in the truck and house. I don't like to chase cripples.:D

YardleyLabs
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
.45 Mag in the truck and house. I don't like to chase cripples.:D
I hope you're not referring to me!:D

I carry a Beretta .380 in an SOB holster and a Sig .40 in my camera case when I go out shooting (photos) at night. However, given where I live, I am more likely to be traveling in NJ than PA and would go to jail for carrying my guns there. So generally my guns are in a locked safe in my bedroom.

M&K's Retrievers
04-18-2010, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=YardleyLabs;600974]I hope you're not referring to me!:D

QUOTE]

No. Nor my spouse either.:p

BonMallari
04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
I have a Concealed Weapon Permit and think everyone that packs heat should have to go through the classes in order to apply for the permit. Before anyone draws a pistol from the holster, they need to know the laws such as when it is permissable to shoot someone, where a pistol can be carried and all the other laws that might land one in jail or sued for violating the laws and rights of indivduals. If you think you have to shoot someone, the key words are; "I thought they was going to kill me". Other than that, if you shoot someone, you are in deep dodo.

P S Most of may handguns are too big to conceal. I keep a 9mm in my truck. a 357 in my nightstand, a 45 icp in my workshop and a Walther 22LR in my pocket. ;-)

Now that you have told us where all your hiding spots are, looks like the only place you are vulnerable is while you are in the john :p:p

Franco
04-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Now that you have told us where all your hiding spots are, looks like the only place you are vulnerable is while you are in the john :p:p

Not if I've been eating red beans and rice!;-)

Franco
04-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I forgot to comment on the following;

By eliminating the permit requirement, the Arizona legislation will allow people 21 or older to forego background checks and classes that are now require...

Forego background checks? That's crazy! Felons will be able to walk with a concealed weapon till caught? Then you have mental cases, disinfrancshed etc. There needs to be certain qualifications met in order to carry a concealed weapon.

Without classes, most yahoos will think they are an extension of local law enforcement!

dback
04-18-2010, 07:51 PM

By eliminating the permit requirement, the Arizona legislation will allow people 21 or older to forego background checks and classes that are now require...

Forego background checks? That's crazy! Felons will be able to walk with a concealed weapon till caught? Then you have mental cases, disinfrancshed etc. There needs to be certain qualifications met in order to carry a concealed weapon.

Without classes, most yahoos will think they are an extension of local law enforcement!

No change there Franco....you can't possibly think it bothered them before. I personally don't see that it will change much, I really don't see a significant increase in concealed carry or the 'yahoo' factor. The one thing that it does change is that before, a person with a CCP was subject to Misdemeanor charges, four months in jail and a $750.00 fine for forgetting to have that card in possession while carrying. The Az legislature once tried to reduce that penalty, however former Gov Janet Napolitano in her infinite wisdom vetoed that bill. As for me....I will continue with the permit.

dback
04-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I hope you're not referring to me!:D

Ole Jeffery has cracked a couple of pretty good ones lately.....that break must have affected his funny bone somehow :-) :-) or he has become a HEW protege :shock:

badbullgator
04-19-2010, 08:53 AM

You really think this is making it any different for them. You don;t really believe this means felons, crazys and others are now going "hey I can carry". Come on Franko they already are. Pretty sure felons are not jumping for joy over this.
People who carry responsibly and legally will still do so with less government intrusion. Those who carry illegally, felons and the like, were doing it anyway and nothing about this makes it easier. I did not see any thing that suggested that background checks when BUYING a gun were being done away with. I have news for you felons don’t care one way or the other…they are still breaking the law.

dixidawg
04-19-2010, 09:10 AM

If the felons on the street are so dangerous, why are they not still in prison?

dback
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM

Not all 'felons' are dangerous. Some have served their time, some are on parole, some have not yet been caught (guess not technically a 'felon' yet), some are probably escaped from other states and living under assumed names and some have been released by some liberal assed judge. Felons of any type are not allowed to possess a firearm in Arizona.

dnf777
04-19-2010, 11:09 AM

some, like the POS who shot and killed Trooper Paul Richey in our town were out free because of lawyers and a judge who see fit to plea down violent gun crimes to a slap on the wrist in order to clear the court's backlogs. Maybe starting before 10am, not taking 2 hour lunches, and not quitting at 4 would help instead? I have no problem with a background check, although admittedly, most if not all people willing to subject themselves to a check are probably not dirt bags.

dixidawg
04-19-2010, 11:16 AM
That is a problem with the legal system that is NOT solved by background checks. Presumably the gun used to murder the trooper was not obtained legally anyway?

dixidawg
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Not all 'felons' are dangerous. Some have served their time, some are on parole, some have not yet been caught (guess not technically a 'felon' yet), some are probably escaped from other states and living under assumed names and some have been released by some liberal assed judge. Felons of any type are not allowed to possess a firearm in Arizona.

I believe felons are federally prohibited from possessing firearms. My question is why? If they are truly a danger to society, they should be in jail. If they are not a danger, and have paid their dues to society, then shouldn't they have the same constitutional rights as everyone else?

ducknwork
04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
A leopard can't change it's spots. It might be able to rearrange them for a little while though...

dnf777
04-19-2010, 12:07 PM
That is a problem with the legal system that is NOT solved by background checks. Presumably the gun used to murder the trooper was not obtained legally anyway?

Surprisingly, according to the paper, as part of the adjudication he was prohibited from owning firearms or posessing them. (he waved a loaded deer rifle at his wife and fellow employees at her workplace--a car dealership, and was nearly shot by the arresting officer just before surrendering)

Several years later, the judge allowed him to be in posession of a rifle for the "purpose of hunting". Unfortunately and ironically, the very same rifle he brandished at his wife, was the very rifle that killed the state trooper this January. (and his wife, and himself)

dback
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I believe felons are federally prohibited from possessing firearms. My question is why? If they are truly a danger to society, they should be in jail. You'll get no argument from me on this one If they are not a danger, and have paid their dues to society, then shouldn't they have the same constitutional rights as everyone else? I have heard this argument a number of times and there is certainly room for debate on the subject ... I have mixed feelings on it. Society on the other hand seems to overwhelmingly feel the answer is 'no'

I certainly don't have all the answers but this is one huge reason I don't live in Canada.

dnf777
04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
By committing a felony, you have shown your willingness to not abide by the rules of society. Not just in a minor way, either. I think it is perfectly reasonable to restrict such persons' access to firearms. If they choose to ignore that rule, and get caught, they they're out of society for another good while. I can predict the argument coming on this position, so let me preempt by asking the following: We know people will still rob banks even though its against the law, so should we leave the doors open at night and money on the counter? No, we still take precautions, knowing SOME will still persist in their ways, but establish societal norms that hopefully will be somewhat effective.

dixidawg
04-19-2010, 12:46 PM
By committing a felony, you have shown your willingness to not abide by the rules of society. Not just in a minor way, either. I think it is perfectly reasonable to restrict such persons' access to firearms. .

That would be my argument for not letting them out of jail.

Do you feel the same about non violent felons? Tax cheats etc.? Should the be prohibited from firearm ownership?

floatinghat
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Isn't going to change anything.

Good folks will continue to be good.
Bad folks will continue to be bad.

Put the bad ones away for a long time and don't make the good ones pay for it.

badbullgator
04-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Surprisingly, according to the paper, as part of the adjudication he was prohibited from owning firearms or posessing them. (he waved a loaded deer rifle at his wife and fellow employees at her workplace--a car dealership, and was nearly shot by the arresting officer just before surrendering)

Several years later, the judge allowed him to be in posession of a rifle for the "purpose of hunting". Unfortunately and ironically, the very same rifle he brandished at his wife, was the very rifle that killed the state trooper this January. (and his wife, and himself)

And this has what to do with concealed carry? Did he have the rifle down his pants?

dnf777
04-19-2010, 06:10 PM
And this has what to do with concealed carry? Did he have the rifle down his pants?

Nothing at all. I just answered Dixie's question about how there are dangerous felons on the loose. Topic drift. ;-)