PDA

View Full Version : Politics Aside

menmon
05-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I would like everyone to take a minute and think about this disaster. Some of the best wetlands are about to be altered to the point of no recovery. I'm not saying this because I'm a tree loving liberal; I'm say this because I'm an avid outdoorsman that grew up hunting and fishing in the marshes and swaps of Lousiana.

I know we need oil and for now we have no alternative but to drill for oil offshore, and I know that these types of accidents are few and far between, but it only took one to change my life. No more redfishing in the marsh, shooting ducks in the mouth of the Mississippi, trapping aligators in the swap or wade fishing for trout at Grand Isle. This is not my livelyhood, but is why I live.

Damnt we need to hold companies accountable; this is unacceptable.

If you disagree with me go pour a barrell of oil in your training pond and then we will talk.

Franco
05-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I would like everyone to take a minute and think about this disaster. Some of the best wetlands are about to be altered to the point of no recovery. I'm not saying this because I'm a tree loving liberal; I'm say this because I'm an avid outdoorsman that grew up hunting and fishing in the marshes and swaps of Lousiana.

I know we need oil and for now we have no alternative but to drill for oil offshore, and I know that these types of accidents are few and far between, but it only took one to change my life. No more redfishing in the marsh, shooting ducks in the mouth of the Mississippi, trapping aligators in the swap or wade fishing for trout at Grand Isle. This is not my livelyhood, but is why I live.

Damnt we need to hold companies accountable; this is unacceptable.

If you disagree with me go pour a barrell of oil in your training pond and then we will talk.

The sky is not falling Chicken Little. I've been listening to Biologist for the last 5 days and I'll take thier word on the potential damage. This is not nearly as bad as the Exxon Valdez and that area today is as pristeen as ever. The type of crude that is spilling is not nearly as dangerous.

Please, there is enough media hysteria...can we stick with the facts?

menmon
05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
The sky is not falling Chicken Little. I've been listening to Biologist for the last 5 days and I'll take thier word on the potential damage. This is not nearly as bad as the Exxon Valdez and that area today is a pristeen as ever. The type of crude that is spilling is not nearly as dangerous.

Please, there is enough media hysteria...can we stick with the facts?

It is not your pond that is about to be screwed up. What your biologist is not telling you is swaps and marshes do not eb and flow enough to get the gunk out of them.

I bet you live no where near the coast. Why don't you come look at it now and then come back in a few days and say how great it is then.

The only thing good coming out of this is jobs, and dirty one too.

Franco
05-03-2010, 04:26 PM
It is not your pond that is about to be screwed up. What your biologist is not telling you is swaps and marshes do not eb and flow enough to get the gunk out of them.

I bet you live no where near the coast. Why don't you come look at it now and then come back in a few days and say how great it is then.

The only thing good coming out of this is jobs, and dirty one too.

I spent 50 years in New Orleans. I've been duck hunting and fishing out of Venice for 35 years! There is NO oil in the marshes and the coastal marsh is very much purged with tidal changes. I know the east side marshes of the Ms River like the back of my hand. Right now, the only industry that will be shut down for a year is the Oyster beds. I suggest that you listen to the experts on this disaster at www.wwl.com (http://www.wwl.com)
They have had the most respected Biologist in the south on the air talking about the spill's potential impact.

Maybe you should enlighten them.

Marvin S
05-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Gotta love the IHOP expert. I asked another poster if they had ever been to the La Brea Tar Pits (still no answer), you can bet IHOP boy has not. IHOP has about as much of a CLUE ABOUT this event as he does about matters financial.

This event is costing BP considerable funds that could be spent more productively, in real terms it is non value added. Anyone think BP does not want it to go away quickly?

My question would be - is BP a buy, sell or hold?

IHOP - what's a swap?

menmon
05-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I spent 50 years in New Orleans. I've been duck hunting and fishing out of Venice for 35 years! There is NO oil in the marshes and the coastal marsh is very much purged with tidal changes. I know the east side marshes of the Ms River like the back of my hand. Right now, the only industry that will be shut down for a year is the Oyster beds. I suggest that you listen to the experts on this disaster at www.wwl.com (http://www.wwl.com)
They have had the most respected Biologist in the south on the air talking about the spill's potential impact.

Maybe you should enlighten them.

Then you are dumber than I thought!

Why do you feel the need to justify this? Just spill all the oil you want. Don't worry about it, Franco and his experts say it won't hurt anything.

This is political with you. That is the reason you are justifing it. This should not be political. Tell how many redfish you are going to catch in the marsh now, and if you did, should you eat them?

All that matters to you is putting a spin on it that buys some political favor.

I want to be able to fish. I could care less about who the lying politician is.

menmon
05-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Gotta love the IHOP expert. I asked another poster if they had ever been to the La Brea Tar Pits (still no answer), you can bet IHOP boy has not. IHOP has about as much of a CLUE ABOUT this event as he does about matters financial.

This event is costing BP considerable funds that could be spent more productively, in real terms it is non value added. Anyone think BP does not want it to go away quickly?

My question would be - is BP a buy, sell or hold?

Another Glenn Beck voice peice. I assure you, BP will pay dearly, but that does not fix my hunting and fishing.

I forget, you guys don't hunt, fish or train dogs. If you did, you could not tune in to Glenn Beck as often

Franco
05-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Then you are dumber than I thought!

Why do you feel the need to justify this? Just spill all the oil you want. Don't worry about it, Franco and his experts say it won't hurt anything.

This is political with you. That is the reason you are justifing it. This should not be political. Tell how many redfish you are going to catch in the marsh now, and if you did, should you eat them?

All that matters to you is putting a spin on it that buys some political favor.

I want to be able to fish. I could care less about who the lying politician is.

Sambo, you are clueless as to what you are writing about! I can't discuss with stupid, sorry. Your take on the situation is not the reality!

Marvin S
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Another Glenn Beck voice peice. I assure you, BP will pay dearly, but that does not fix my hunting and fishing.

I forget, you guys don't hunt, fish or train dogs. If you did, you could not tune in to Glenn Beck as often

IHOP - You shouldn't get into these discussions if you can not hold up your end of the argument. Name calling doesn't get you anywhere, though I will admit I read an article in some lefty magazine about Beck, they're %&$#% that he is making so much money :o, but none from me & 0 listening time.

As for the h,f & train dogs remark, I certainly don't hire it done & will gladly compare resumes with you anytime on damn near any subject that is broached on this forum that just being some of them. That is except for being the forum idiot, as I believe you have that locked up ;-).

Again, whats a swap & it's i before e except after c?

Franco
05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I read an article in some lefty magazine about Beck, they're %&$#% that he is making so much money :o, but none from me & 0 listening time.

I never listen to Beck, Limbaugh or Hannity. In fact, I quit watching O'Reilly.

menmon
05-03-2010, 05:38 PM
IHOP - You shouldn't get into these discussions if you can not hold up your end of the argument. Name calling doesn't get you anywhere, though I will admit I read an article in some lefty magazine about Beck, they're %&$#% that he is making so much money :o, but none from me & 0 listening time.

As for the h,f & train dogs remark, I certainly don't hire it done & will gladly compare resumes with you anytime on damn near any subject that is broached on this forum that just being some of them. That is except for being the forum idiot, as I believe you have that locked up ;-).

Again, whats a swap & it's i before e except after c?

You are one brillant guy. You can regurgitate (sp?) every right wing spin doctor to the tee. Boy I wish I had that good of short-term memory. Oh yea, you can spell too. What did mama do give you a $1 for every 100% you made on a spelling bee.

I assure you my resume as measured by education and business success exceeds yours and don't know you either, but I'll make a small wager.

But none of this changes the fact that my fishing and hunting is screwed and will be probablly be for the rest of my life.

I'm not advocating no more off shore drilling, but it is not the long term solution.

And I don't think your dogs are winning on the weekend, if they were you would be training right now. Passes are much easier than wins. If you don't believe me, go try to win.

subroc
05-03-2010, 05:40 PM
...I'm not advocating no more off shore drilling, but it is not the long term solution...

what are you advocating and what do you believe is the long term solution?

menmon
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Sambo, you are clueless as to what you are writing about! I can't discuss with stupid, sorry. Your take on the situation is not the reality!

I tried to make a none political observation, but everything is political with you. All you can do is advacate non-responsible environmental rhetroic.

Drill all you want, but don't screw up my fishing is all I say.

menmon
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
what are you advocating and what do you believe is the long term solution?

I was very supportive of deep water exploration, prior to this. I also realize that we have no choice but to continue it. I have never supported drilling off the coast of areas that a spill would damage the tourist economy. In other words, the gain from the oil exploration did not offset the economic risk of losing tourism.

My logic was that if it happen way offshore we had the capabliities to fix it before it came inshore. Obviously I was wrong about that too.

We use to be a dirty country. Albeit I don't agree with radical environmentalist, but I know that their voices and votes have changed many things for the better that would not have changed had they not taken their position.

I don't have an answer, but I can still be mad that my fishing and hunting is screwed up now

M&K's Retrievers
05-03-2010, 06:00 PM
You guys have got IHOP all bent out of shape. He's even working late in his cubicle so he can continue to spew his BS. At least he will get time and a half for his efforts.:D:D

Hoosier
05-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, look at the bright side, with your hunting, fishing, and dog training gone, you'll have more time to work, and pay taxes to support all that liberal crap you're always blabbing about.

menmon
05-03-2010, 06:12 PM
You guys have got IHOP all bent out of shape. He's even working late in his cubicle so he can continue to spew his BS. At least he will get time and a half for his efforts.:D:D

All I wanted to do is vent my frustration of not being able to fish the Lousiana coast and my fear that if they don't plug the leak, losing my Texas coast too. I work so that I can hunt, fish and play with dogs. Trust me, I do it for no other reason.

I don't have a solution for this disaster, nor do all the spin doctors you guys are hanging on every word of either. I'm here late, because I have a Shrine meeting at 6:30pm to discuss our upcoming Charity Fishing Tournament at Matagorda Bay that is 19 days away. Damn good thing it isn't at Grand Isle, LA.

But I'm leaving now and all of you can continue to arm-chair solve the problems of us that will live with this mess. If you can come up with a solution to the shit hole I have for fishing hole now, I'm all ears, but I look at what you come up with tomorrow.

menmon
05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Well, look at the bright side, with your hunting, fishing, and dog training gone, you'll have more time to work, and pay taxes to support all that liberal crap you're always blabbing about.

Maybe you are right. I need to get back to work and quit arguing with single minded people. Sure hope nothing like this happens in your backyard. If so, I might be care a little bit though.

Franco
05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I tried to make a none political observation, but everything is political with you. All you can do is advacate non-responsible environmental rhetroic.

Drill all you want, but don't screw up my fishing is all I say.

I'm not being political! I am being a realist. Quite listening to sensational reporters and instead listen to what wildlife experts and biologist are saying!!!

Even if this spill last another 90 days, people will be catching red fish in the marshes by next Fall.

It is tragic but, IT IS NOT THE END OF THE ECO SYSTEM.

M&K's Retrievers
05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
.... I'm here late, because I have a Shrine meeting at 6:30pm ...

Now that's funny. Can I call 'em? :cool:

Marvin S
05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
You are one brillant guy. You can regurgitate (sp?) every right wing spin doctor to the tee. Boy I wish I had that good of short-term memory. Oh yea, you can spell too. What did mama do give you a $1 for every 100% you made on a spelling bee.

I was raised by my legal immigrant Grandparents who believed excellence was a reward unto itself. I was a fiscal conservative long before these folks you so knowledgeably describe ever hit the airways. In fact, a lefty who worked for me in the '70's said I should do talk radio as I had some interesting views with the convictions & knowledge to back them ;-).

I assure you my resume as measured by education and business success exceeds yours and don't know you either, but I'll make a small wager.

Then why don't you show some of it with your postings. Be sure the wager is small as you'll lose & I'm not sure you can afford it :razz:.

But none of this changes the fact that my fishing and hunting is screwed and will be probablly be for the rest of my life.

I'm not advocating no more off shore drilling, but it is not the long term solution.

When U & I shut down their processing plant in ML it ruined the pheasant hunting in E WA. FYI, there is nothing like watching a AA placing dog dig roosters out of the beets.

Things change, adults adjust.

And I don't think your dogs are winning on the weekend, if they were you would be training right now. Passes are much easier than wins. If you don't believe me, go try to win.

!st placing 1965, last placing 2004, have never entered a HT so know nothing about them other than several dogs I trained as an Am are MH's. The FT sport has been ruined by too many people like yourself hanging around the fringes :eek:, IMO.

BonMallari
05-03-2010, 07:16 PM

Marvin has been training dogs with my brother since the early 70's (sorry to tip off you approx age) I probably spent about 20+ days hunting last season and hope to increase that # this year :)

zeus3925
05-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Maybe you are right. I need to get back to work and quit arguing with single minded people. Sure hope nothing like this happens in your backyard. If so, I might be care a little bit though.

Whoa there, Sambo. Hoosier is a transplant to Minnesota and the rest of the 'Sotans have done nothing to merit your curse.

Buzz
05-04-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm not willing to have an opinion one way or the other before the fat lady sings.

And don't give me a hard time about being insensitive to fat ladies...;-)

On a different note, we have lost one heck of a lot of pheasant habitat in South Dakota to farmers pulling land out of CRP so they can grow corn and sell it to ethanol producers.

david gibson
05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
franco speaks the voice of reason. this is not a good situation, but neither is the sky falling. a good RTF friend is one of the BP engineers on this job, trust me, they are throwing everything at it possible. the dispersant down near the sea floor is helping as well, and lets hope the box/funnel apparatus works! trust me, this could be a lot worse. lets keep our heads cool and let the experts do their job and judge it all later when we have a controlled hand on the situation.

if you jump to conclusions and start pointing you finger everwhere, then do your part and quit driving your 4x4 to the coast, marshes, and "swaps" to hunt and fish. get creative and make a dog-box trailer mount for your bicycle. ;-)

david gibson
05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
without the oil and gas business the louisiana economy would be vastly different. that doesnt excuse anything, but it does place a certain bit of obligation on our part to support the clean up efforts and help them see it through. we dont even know what happened yet! perhaps the petroleum engineer missed a critical test after the BOP was hooked up and ready to lower to the sea floor, and the pusher or driller didnt double check a bolt a floorhand was tightening and didnt do correctly, or a hydraulic line somewhere - in the end, its all guys that live and work down the street and in the next town. could be the guy next to you in a duckblind. we are all in this together one way or another - even the illegal immigrant mowing the mud engineers yard while he is out on the rig.

menmon
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm not being political! I am being a realist. Quite listening to sensational reporters and instead listen to what wildlife experts and biologist are saying!!!

Even if this spill last another 90 days, people will be catching red fish in the marshes by next Fall.

It is tragic but, IT IS NOT THE END OF THE ECO SYSTEM.

I know mother earth is resilient and will probablly fix herself sooner than one thinks, but it's going to be bad. I'll be the first to say that the oil companies have a good track record, especially given the challenges of drilling offshore. I also know a lot of oilmen and they all are avid outdoorsmen and very charitable ones too, giving generously at my fishing tournament and clay shoot every year.

My post is not about offshore drilling because we have no choice. My post was an attempt to highlight that this is bad and politicians don't need to try to make a case against each other about this. Catrina should not have been made political either.

All the regulation in the world probablly would not have changed this, because I can assure you it was human error. Some of my best friends work for Boots and Coots, and offshore drillers like Pride and Transocean and they will be the first to tell you there are warning before a blowout. So had different decisions been made this probablly could have been prevented. The Exxon Valdes was human error too, and you can't regulate against a captain being drunk.

What you can do is maintain regid guidelines and rules and hope they are followed, and when something like this happens, you make sure the oil company does everything possible to fix the lives it damaged, both wildlife and human. This is not about the shareholders anymore. There is a responsibility that comes with oil exploration and if you screw up you fix it, no matter what the cost. None of them are giving us a break, so neither should we.

kb27_99
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM

Can you Hunt, Fish, or train dogs without oil and gas? Bad things happen. I live on the coast just like you and Franco. You can deal with it or go hug a tree. Damn hypocrites drive me crazy!

depittydawg
05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Can you Hunt, Fish, or train dogs without oil and gas? Bad things happen. I live on the coast just like you and Franco. You can deal with it or go hug a tree. Damn hypocrites drive me crazy!

This seems to be a common thread among many people. That energy use and conservation or environmental stewardship are diametrically opposed. But it isn't true. It is extremist. It's all about choice. I can choose to drive a truck that gets 8 miles per gallon. Or I can choose to drive a truck that gets 25 miles per gallon.
As an example, the City of LA was confronted with air pollution a generation ago that had actually gotten to the point that people were getting sick from breathing. I remember driving to disneyland in 1971 and being amazed that I couldn't see more than a couple of blocks through the thick black haze that permeated everything. It was like the place was on fire. After spending 3 days there my eyes were burning. Where is all that smog today? LA skies are clean. But last time I was on a freeway down there it was obvious that everybody was still driving cars. So whats the difference? Clearly it wasn't a choice of cars or no cars.

menmon
05-04-2010, 10:13 AM

If you really live in New Iberia, LA...I would start hugging trees, because your world is f#@ked up.

Noboby is being hypocritical...I'm being sympothetic because they can't fix this in time and I know its going to change lives. But it sounds like you don't want BP to clean their mess up nor help the people that lives they effect. Why don't you pay them $10 a gallon for their gasoline, like your favorite tagline, we aren't paying as much as europeans and paying more for bottled water. Come to think about it, you are going to be drinking a bunch of bottled water from now on if you can afford it after the clean up is over and jobs leave.

kb27_99
05-04-2010, 02:27 PM
If you really live in New Iberia, LA...I would start hugging trees, because your world is f#@ked up.

Noboby is being hypocritical...I'm being sympothetic because they can't fix this in time and I know its going to change lives. But it sounds like you don't want BP to clean their mess up nor help the people that lives they effect. Why don't you pay them $10 a gallon for their gasoline, like your favorite tagline, we aren't paying as much as europeans and paying more for bottled water. Come to think about it, you are going to be drinking a bunch of bottled water from now on if you can afford it after the clean up is over and jobs leave.

What do you mean if I really live in New Iberia? If you look hard enough around hear my cell number is posted. Give me a call and we can train dogs and drink a beer over this debate. What happen was terrible, more so because we lost lives. Our company lost 2 out of the 5 that was on the rig. It happen, we have to deal with it and learn from it. Sorry Mr. Sambo, but just reading your post tells me you ignorant to what really goes on out there. How do you know for sure it was human error? Thatís a ridiculous statement at this point and time.

kb27_99
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
This seems to be a common thread among many people. That energy use and conservation or environmental stewardship are diametrically opposed. But it isn't true. It is extremist. It's all about choice. I can choose to drive a truck that gets 8 miles per gallon. Or I can choose to drive a truck that gets 25 miles per gallon.
As an example, the City of LA was confronted with air pollution a generation ago that had actually gotten to the point that people were getting sick from breathing. I remember driving to disneyland in 1971 and being amazed that I couldn't see more than a couple of blocks through the thick black haze that permeated everything. It was like the place was on fire. After spending 3 days there my eyes were burning. Where is all that smog today? LA skies are clean. But last time I was on a freeway down there it was obvious that everybody was still driving cars. So whats the difference? Clearly it wasn't a choice of cars or no cars.

Dont you have anything better to do than try and feed us a plate full of BS? Have you been to LA lately? Smog is still a big issue.

menmon
05-04-2010, 02:44 PM
What do you mean if I really live in New Iberia? If you look hard enough around hear my cell number is posted. Give me a call and we can train dogs and drink a beer over this debate. What happen was terrible, more so because we lost lives. Our company lost 2 out of the 5 that was on the rig. It happen, we have to deal with it and learn from it. Sorry Mr. Sambo, but just reading your post tells me you ignorant to what really goes on out there. How do you know for sure it was human error? Thatís a ridiculous statement at this point and time.

I actually have heard from a source it was during a shift change, so people may not have been in their stations when the problem started. My point was not to cast blame at individuals...my point was to say that many safeguards are taken and I know the people out there were doing everything they could. I don't daught that a bit, but when the dust settles, that will be the outcome.

I'll call you.

Hew
05-04-2010, 03:19 PM
On a different note, we have lost one heck of a lot of pheasant habitat in South Dakota to farmers pulling land out of CRP so they can grow corn and sell it to ethanol producers.
According to Zeus that couldn't have happened. :p

zeus3925
05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
According to Zeus that couldn't have happened. :p

I did happen, Hew!