PDA

View Full Version : No-fly list and gun-rights?

dnf777
05-06-2010, 09:40 AM
A senator suggested that if someone is on the gov't's "no fly" list, they should be denied the right to purchase firearms, just like convicted felons and domestic assault parolees. This one cuts both ways. On one hand, I don't want to see second amendment rights taken away without due process and proper adjudication. On the other, should peole like the NCY would-be bomber and Yusef Islam be allowed to buy guns? We know they're not duck hunters or field trialers, for the most part. ;-)

badbullgator
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I am not sure about that one. I do not know all the ways you can end up on a no fly list. Convicted felons have had their day in court and domestic assult people have had an assult that resulted in them being arrested for their act and I would assume convicted. The no fly list is a little broad I am afraid and I have read about more than a few mix ups in who is on them

Hew
05-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I am not sure about that one. I do not know all the ways you can end up on a no fly list. Convicted felons have had their day in court and domestic assult people have had an assult that resulted in them being arrested for their act and I would assume convicted. The no fly list is a little broad I am afraid and I have read about more than a few mix ups in who is on them
Exactly. Morever, there are tons of stories about people ending up on the no-fly list for no particular reason or through some beaureucratic (I can never spell that dang word) snafu.

Eric Johnson
05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
There's a very real issue here. The "no-fly" list I don't believe has any legal status. It's a tool. If people who are on the list are to be prohibited from purchasing or having firearms, then someone has to go out to the house and check them and what about those who get put on the list in error....who announces that the error has been corrected and it's OK to purchase/own a firearm again?

This is a really dumb idea. I'll bet it was suggested by a Member of Congress.

Eric

dnf777
05-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Eric,
That's my main beef with this issue. I heard a liberal talking head ask what's the big deal? If you're on the list erroneously, get off it! Well, I've heard stories from such people, who just want to take a feakin' vacation or travel for business, and somehow got on this list. THERE IS NO MECHANISM to get off the list! There's a big system in place to get ON the list, and to MAINTAIN the list, but none to get off it. Apparently, all it takes to get on is, is suspicions, rumors, or circumstances. Not a reliable source, worthy of denying constitutional rights, in my book.

I'd like to hear what the talking heads would say if we decided to pull the plug on any radio or tv show that was thought to endange America. A "no talk list".

depittydawg
05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
A senator suggested that if someone is on the gov't's "no fly" list, they should be denied the right to purchase firearms, just like convicted felons and domestic assault parolees. This one cuts both ways. On one hand, I don't want to see second amendment rights taken away without due process and proper adjudication. On the other, should peole like the NCY would-be bomber and Yusef Islam be allowed to buy guns? We know they're not duck hunters or field trialers, for the most part. ;-)

Considering some of the names that have appeared on the 'no fly' list it's an absurd suggestion. Probably meant only as a political ploy by the Senator to shore up some votes. The no fly list is completely flawed. There are so many average joe americans on it, it's ridiculous.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/05/60minutes/main2066624.shtml
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070211/19watch.htm