PDA

View Full Version : When Did The Voter Backlash Begin?

Franco
05-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I was listening to a talk show on the drive into work this morning.

The male host was trumpeting the voter backlash from yesterday 5/18.

The female host said that the voter backlash began when Obama was elected. That he was a protest vote because of what had gone on during the Bush years.

They debated back and forth but, the woman made more points that it began with Obama.

I am not an Obama fan but, are we putting too much into yesterday's vote? That there is disgust for most incumbants and that the backlash really began in the Fall of 08.

aandw
05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
i think there is/should be backlash for any politician that has been in washington for more than two terms regardless of party. the dems will be more heavily affected because they are the majority. it is hard to blame the minority for current events. but give'em credit the dems sure are trying.

Buzz
05-19-2010, 02:10 PM
i think there is/should be backlash for any politician that has been in washington for more than two terms regardless of party. the dems will be more heavily affected because they are the majority. it is hard to blame the minority for current events. but give'em credit the dems sure are trying.

Yes, because we know that nothing done today will have any bearing on tomorrow.

I think the backlash started in 2006.

depittydawg
05-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I was listening to a talk show on the drive into work this morning.

The male host was trumpeting the voter backlash from yesterday 5/18.

The female host said that the voter backlash began when Obama was elected. That he was a protest vote because of what had gone on during the Bush years.

They debated back and forth but, the woman made more points that it began with Obama.

I am not an Obama fan but, are we putting too much into yesterday's vote? That there is disgust for most incumbants and that the backlash really began in the Fall of 08.

I have read, and I would agree that the 'backlash' began in 2006. When the Republicans lost control of the Congress. It is continuing now, and including Democrats because, despite the overwhelming view of the majority (both left and right) the country needs to change and all we are seeing from the Dem's is full speed ahead, save the status quo. It is significant that the moderate candidate as falling in both parties to the more extreme wings. Probably not a good sign. But who knows.

az hunter
05-19-2010, 06:17 PM
i too think that it was in 2006 BUT i think the straw that broke the camels back is all the wastfull spending and the new healthcare bill

dnf777
05-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Yes, at least with the Sestak/Specter election. What is so freakin' surprising that democrats (closed primary state only lets registered dems vote in dem primary) chose a progressive, young, former military candidate over a 80 year old 40+ year Republican??

I think the democratic big guns promised him support in return for his switch, which considering the then looming health care bill, was probably a good political move. So what if he loses in November?

I'd be more concerned with McConnel's and Cheney's 0.000 batting average if I were a republican.

road kill
05-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Yes, at least with the Sestak/Specter election. What is so freakin' surprising that democrats (closed primary state only lets registered dems vote in dem primary) chose a progressive, young, former military candidate over a 80 year old 40+ year Republican??

I think the democratic big guns promised him support in return for his switch, which considering the then looming health care bill, was probably a good political move. So what if he loses in November?

I'd be more concerned with McConnel's and Cheney's 0.000 batting average if I were a republican.

Well, your not, so don't!!:D

rk

dnf777
05-20-2010, 04:58 AM

Well, your not, so don't!!:D

rk

Just keepin' my hand on the tiller. Don't want you guys to run aground...we need the two major parties to continue to be equally strong to cancel each other out, so the independent third parties can sneak in and fix what both of them have screwed up! :cool:

charly_t
05-21-2010, 12:26 AM
I just have to say this..........I voted for Ronald Reagan then never voted for either a dem. or a repub. till last year. Made another probably bad choice and voted for Sarah at that time. The bad choice was that her running mate was in first place on the ticket. I still think she would have made a better VP than we have had for many years. Maybe she would have made a better prez than we now have. I don't think we will ever find that out. I will probably vote for an independent man ( or woman ) again IF one runs who seems to have a lick of common sense.