PDA

View Full Version : president quote

aandw
05-20-2010, 05:46 PM
another quotable

"We're examining any implications especially for civil rights because in the United States of America, no law abiding person -- be they an American citizen, illegal immigrant, or a visitor or tourist from Mexico -- should ever be subject to suspicion simply because of what they look like."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/mexicos-president-blasts-arizona-immigration-law-white-house-visit-1351636523/

gmhr1
05-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Read the bill Mr President! Than tell us where it says someone is going to be targeted for the color of their skin, if they dont break the law they have nothing to worry about, and if they do show your papers just like I have to show ID. I had to go out and spend $130 for a passport because a drivers license was not good enough to show at the border when coming back from Mexico. Its a crime to be in the US illegally what part of that cant people understand!

dnf777
05-20-2010, 06:06 PM
What exactly is a "law abiding illegal immigrant"??? I've never seen one!

M&K's Retrievers
05-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Can't be can it?

depittydawg
05-20-2010, 06:35 PM

Well, other than the tan, he's probably hiding under the same rock as the "law abiding" employer of illegal immigrants..

YardleyLabs
05-20-2010, 06:41 PM
another quotable

"We're examining any implications especially for civil rights because in the United States of America, no law abiding person -- be they an American citizen, illegal immigrant, or a visitor or tourist from Mexico -- should ever be subject to suspicion simply because of what they look like."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/mexicos-president-blasts-arizona-immigration-law-white-house-visit-1351636523/
What makes this a little confusing is that Obama is being mis-quoted. He actually said "no law abiding person -- be they an American citizen, a legal immigrant..." You can check this for yourselves at http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2010/05/19/bts.obama.calderon.az.immigration.cnn?iref=allsear ch at about the 32 second mark. The question in my mind: Why does Fox News post such a mis-quote?

depittydawg
05-20-2010, 06:44 PM
What makes this a little confusing is that Obama is being mis-quoted. He actually said "no law abiding person -- be they an American citizen, a legal immigrant..." You can check this for yourselves at http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2010/05/19/bts.obama.calderon.az.immigration.cnn?iref=allsear ch at about the 32 second mark. The question in my mind: Why does Fox News post such a mis-quote?

Fox has been doing that crap for as many years as they've had a FCC license.

dnf777
05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Well, Fox got me on that one, hook, line, and sinker!
I'm still bothered by the attitide that we need to "find a solution" to allow people to come in with the "proper papers".....as if everyone has a right to be here, its just a matter of giving them a form to fill out. Truth is, overpopulation is the root cause of most of our human sufferings.....poverty, war, hunger, lack of training grounds, high cost of hunting lodges, unemployment.....you name it. WE ARE FULL! This is not 1920, when most of the land west of the Mississippi was vacant land awaiting development. We chastise China for their population control measures, but we had better come up with SOMETHING, or we're headed for coast to coast metropolis and over development. Think its hard/expensive to find training grounds now?

A good start is limiting population growth to our internal growth, and cut off immigration except for those who truly have something valuable to offer our society.
That may sound cold-hearted, but we better face it, or face the consequences.

Buzz
05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
The question in my mind: Why does Fox News post such a mis-quote?

That's just how they roll.

Nate_C
05-20-2010, 08:29 PM
OK I am not completely against the bill and want immigration addressed as a nation. However, all the Fox-Newsites need to at least acknowledge there is a big opportunity for this bill to be abused. This whole thing about "Just don't break the law" is crap. Almost everyone breaks traffic laws. Are you telling me that you always go the speed limit, signal when you turn...ect.... I remember a few years ago reading a story in Florida I think where African Americans made up 70% of all traffic citations becasue the cops where looking for drugs and profiled them. If I recall some of the cops got introuble because they were pulling over people because part of the license plate was covered by the vanity license plate covers, even though a judge already through a bunch of the tickets out already and informed the police department through the DA that the law only addressed covers that covered the license plate number. If a bunch of Latino American citizens start getting pulled over for doing 67 in a 65 it is an issue. It isn't the law people have an issue with it is the potiential for abuse.

Franco
05-20-2010, 09:36 PM
From the Statue of Liberty............

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
' With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

There was a time in our history when this attitude served a purpose.

Today, a large percentage of immigration is nothing more than a burden and a lowering of the American standard of living.

The USA will be just as poor as the countries they are fleeing from if we continue to allow mass migration.

Any future legal immigration into the USA should be limited to doctumented trained professionals. We have more than enough tired and poor, more than the law allows.

Cody Covey
05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
OK I am not completely against the bill and want immigration addressed as a nation. However, all the Fox-Newsites need to at least acknowledge there is a big opportunity for this bill to be abused. This whole thing about "Just don't break the law" is crap. Almost everyone breaks traffic laws. Are you telling me that you always go the speed limit, signal when you turn...ect.... I remember a few years ago reading a story in Florida I think where African Americans made up 70% of all traffic citations becasue the cops where looking for drugs and profiled them. If I recall some of the cops got introuble because they were pulling over people because part of the license plate was covered by the vanity license plate covers, even though a judge already through a bunch of the tickets out already and informed the police department through the DA that the law only addressed covers that covered the license plate number. If a bunch of Latino American citizens start getting pulled over for doing 67 in a 65 it is an issue. It isn't the law people have an issue with it is the potiential for abuse.
Than find me a law that doesn't have "potential" for abuse?

Matt McKenzie
05-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Than find me a law that doesn't have "potential" for abuse?

You beat me to it.

road kill
05-21-2010, 07:15 AM
That's just how they roll.

Must have gone to the Dan Rather school of journalism...........:D

rk

ducknwork
05-21-2010, 07:27 AM
They say all politics are local..........I really haven't bothered myself thinking much or studying the immigration situation probably because I have never had a problem with illegal's or one has never occupied a job I wanted.

I don't know whether the 7 or 8 man crew that does my yard is legal or illegal, only one speaks a little English........ I know they do excellent work and are very hard working, respectful of my property and dogs, charge a very fair price, and always seem to provide some little value added service that I wasn't expecting.....so please don't mess with my yard folks. That being said, I am sure there are others who have been affected in a negative way, by crime, drug lords, etc.

You are a joke.

Illegals (possible) do a good job in your yard, so don't deport them. You don't think others should own certain firearms, so ban them. How else do you think that we should violate our Constitution because it suits you and your lifestyle? The two posts of your that I am referencing are some of the most ridiculous, selfish BS that I have ever read, on here or anywhere else. People like you are a HUGE problem in this country. You want the government to fix 'problems' (or ignore them, as in the yard boy situation) as long as it doesn't change the way you live.

Here's what you need to do. Mow your own yard and don't buy guns that you don't want. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Jim Pickering
05-21-2010, 08:30 AM

You don't suppose that the printed version of his speech released by his staff read "illegal" and the president misread the Teleprompter?

Just stirring the pot on a rainy morning. :rolleyes:

Hoosier
05-21-2010, 09:06 AM
You are a joke.

Illegals (possible) do a good job in your yard, so don't deport them. You don't think others should own certain firearms, so ban them. How else do you think that we should violate our Constitution because it suits you and your lifestyle? The two posts of your that I am referencing are some of the most ridiculous, selfish BS that I have ever read, on here or anywhere else. People like you are a HUGE problem in this country. You want the government to fix 'problems' (or ignore them, as in the yard boy situation) as long as it doesn't change the way you live.

Here's what you need to do. Mow your own yard and don't buy guns that you don't want. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Better yet, hire someone to do the job that may charge $20 more a visit, but pays their workers a living wage. That's what this is really about, people like you benefit from the cheap labor this brings to your yard. By the way, we have a girl that cleans our house, and made sure she was legal. We hired her directly to be sure a service didn't send out an illegal. We could have gotten it done cheaper, but that would have been wrong.

dnf777
05-21-2010, 09:24 AM
So when big corporations and oil companies lie, cheat,and do whatever is necessary to improve thier ledgers it's laissez-faire, keep the gov't out of our business.....but when Bruce potentially displaces a few yardworkers to help his register, all the sudden everyone gets ritcheous indignation and all uppity?? That is so republican of you all! Screw the working guy, and coddle the millionaires!

Franco
05-21-2010, 09:32 AM
So when big corporations and oil companies lie, cheat,and do whatever is necessary to improve thier ledgers it's laissez-faire, keep the gov't out of our business.....but when Bruce potentially displaces a few yardworkers to help his register, all the sudden everyone gets ritcheous indignation and all uppity?? That is so republican of you all! Screw the working guy, and coddle the millionaires!

Two wrongs do not make it right.

Allowing the Mexican Dictator to talk down to Americans and lecture us about how bad we are, with the US President standing at his side, at a joint session of Congress, with the Democrats giving a standing ovation is telling of how far we have fallen as a nation!

M&K's Retrievers
05-21-2010, 09:34 AM

I don't know whether the 7 or 8 man crew that does my yard is legal or illegal, only one speaks a little English........ I know they do excellent work and are very hard working, respectful of my property and dogs, charge a very fair price, and always seem to provide some little value added service that I wasn't expecting.....so please don't mess with my yard folks. ....

[/I]

They are most likely illegal which makes you a crook for hiring them and a sleaze for keeping from an American the opportunity of working so you can save a few bucks to buy those shotguns obama is going to take away.

Hire and buy American regards,

Mike

dnf777
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Mike

I agree Mike. But my two favorite hunting clothing suppliers, Woolrich and Filson, no longer make anything in America, and even at that, you'll pay $100 to $150 per shirt for a quality formerly-made-in-America textile, and I doubt many Americans would want to do that. We're too addicted to $12 wal-mart Chinese stuff. If we want to protect American manufacturing, we all better get ready to have fewer toys, and pay much much more for them.

But I agree with you as much as possible,
dave

ducknwork
05-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Dave, Dave, Dave...stirring the pot is not your forte... I don't think anyone up here thinks it is okay for companies to do what you said. But you knew that, didn't you?;)

But your comment leads me to believe that you think it is okay for Bruce to employ illegals. Is that correct? Maybe you think it's all right because you are doing it too...Damn it would suck to have to mow you own yard!

M&K's Retrievers
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree Mike. But my two favorite hunting clothing suppliers, Woolrich and Filson, no longer make anything in America, and even at that, you'll pay $100 to $150 per shirt for a quality formerly-made-in-America textile, and I doubt many Americans would want to do that. We're too addicted to $12 wal-mart Chinese stuff. If we want to protect American manufacturing, we all better get ready to have fewer toys, and pay much much more for them.

But I agree with you as much as possible,
dave

Hey now. Don't be knocking the fine gentlemans clothier from Bentonville, Arkansas. That's all we have in Kingston, OK. That or Cabela's catalog. Love to see that UPS truck coming. Kinda like Christmas.

Crummy food and clothing options regards,

mike

dnf777
05-21-2010, 01:45 PM
But your comment leads me to believe that you think it is okay for Bruce to employ illegals. Is that correct? Maybe you think it's all right because you are doing it too...Damn it would suck to have to mow you own yard!

Duck, Duck.....

After dealing with A-holes all week (I'm a colorectal surgeon) BELIEVE ME when I say, climbing on the Juan Deere myself, putting Shania Twain on the ipod, and spending several hours of mindless mowing is something I look forward to all week! I NEED it! Its my yoga, Bro!

MK--Nothing better than seeing that big brown truck coming up the driveway! You're right, it is kind of like Christmas! Nothing like finding big boxes with GunDogSupply or DogsAfield on the sides. I do wish it was bringing more American made products though.

pat addis
05-21-2010, 02:19 PM

it's funny i just watched this on tv 1 min ago and i swear he said illegal immigrant

luvmylabs23139
05-21-2010, 02:25 PM
it's funny i just watched this on tv 1 min ago and i swear he said illegal immigrant

I just heard it too. It sure sounded like he said illegal.
It wouldn't suprise me if CNN edited it to say legal.

code3retrievers
05-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, other than the tan, he's probably hiding under the same rock as the "law abiding" employer of illegal immigrants..

Why are you always whining about business. Most of the employers in this state (AZ) are trying to do the right thing and verify the status of their employees. The illegals are stealing peoples social security numbers and other ID and getting jobs illegally.

They have entered into this country "illegally" and stolen identities "illegally"

I have a co-worker that has a 9 year old daughter that received her SS statement which indicated she has worked 8 quarters.

Now stop your whining and put the blame where it belongs.

ducknwork
05-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Duck, Duck.....

After dealing with A-holes all week (I'm a colorectal surgeon) BELIEVE ME when I say, climbing on the Juan Deere myself, putting Shania Twain on the ipod, and spending several hours of mindless mowing is something I look forward to all week! I NEED it! Its my yoga, Bro!

Ok, the a hole joke made me literally laugh out loud, as did the Shania Twain remark. One was laughing with you, the other laughing at you...I'll let you figure it out, but I have to let you know that I have these hilarious mental images of you on your tractor belting out 'Man! I feel like a woman', 'That don't impress me much' or 'Any man of mine'...:p

(just a little lighthearted humor...don't pull a Roger on me...;))

I think that one can hear anything one wants to hear. There's not a lot of difference between the sound of 'illegal' and 'a legal' when spoken.

YardleyLabs
05-21-2010, 05:20 PM
While I understand the phonic similarity of "a lagal" and "Illegal", look at the sentence structure: "be they an American citizen, a legal immigrant, or a visitor or tourist from Mexico..." Within that sentence a literate person (which Obama most certainly is) would have said "an illegal immigrant". However, I do agree with ducknwork that Fox was hearing exactly what it wanted to hear and what it wanted to report and was not very interested in verifying or questioning its "information."

dnf777
05-21-2010, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=ducknwork;619020]Ok, the a hole joke made me literally laugh out loud, as did the Shania Twain remark. One was laughing with you, the other laughing at you...I'll let you figure it out, but I have to let you know that I have these hilarious mental images of you on your tractor belting out 'Man! I feel like a woman', 'That don't impress me much' or 'Any man of mine'...:p

Never fear....but just to clarify....I don't sing along with Shania, I pretend she's riding on my lap! :D:D:D

T. Mac
05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
While I understand the phonic similarity of "a lagal" and "Illegal", look at the sentence structure: "be they an American citizen, a legal immigrant, or a visitor or tourist from Mexico..." Within that sentence a literate person (which Obama most certainly is) would have said "an illegal immigrant". However, I do agree with ducknwork that Fox was hearing exactly what it wanted to hear and what it wanted to report and was not very interested in verifying or questioning its "information."

On the other hand, the whole debate has been about illegal immigrants. Don't think I've heard a single concern about the legal ones. So if there isn't a reference to illegal immigrants the entire sentence becomes a nonsequitur. But then again that is how politicians (even literate ones) talk isn't it, in nonsequiturs.

K G
05-21-2010, 08:03 PM

I just heard it too. It sure sounded like he said illegal. It wouldn't suprise me if CNN edited it to say legal.

No...no...no....that can't be right.....can it? I mean, if it is right, and he DID say "illegal," then you've crushed the hopes and dreams of the liberal left, that Fox (or how is it they like to morph it...Faux...News? Love it!:D) DID NOT edit the quote but played it VERBATIM...aka WORD FOR IGNORANT WORD....and CNN editing it to discredit the POTUS? Perish the thought!!! Blasphemy, I say!!!! :rolleyes:......

Seems like every time BHO opens his mouth these days, he's stirs the winds of change even more...keep talking, Mr. President.... PLEASE!!!!! :D:o;-)

Come on November regards,

k g

ducknwork
05-22-2010, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=ducknwork;619020]Ok, the a hole joke made me literally laugh out loud, as did the Shania Twain remark. One was laughing with you, the other laughing at you...I'll let you figure it out, but I have to let you know that I have these hilarious mental images of you on your tractor belting out 'Man! I feel like a woman', 'That don't impress me much' or 'Any man of mine'...:p

Never fear....but just to clarify....I don't sing along with Shania, I pretend she's riding on my lap! :D:D:D

Ok, fair enough....LMAO....:p

ducknwork
05-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Within that sentence a literate person (which Obama most certainly is) would have said "an illegal immigrant".

Good point. On that note, he CLEARLY did not say 'an'. Does that mean that he said 'illegal' and meant it, that the teleprompter guy typed 'a legal' and just got it wrong, or Obama is not as literate as we think:cool:;)?

depittydawg
05-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Why are you always whining about business. Most of the employers in this state (AZ) are trying to do the right thing and verify the status of their employees. The illegals are stealing peoples social security numbers and other ID and getting jobs illegally.

They have entered into this country "illegally" and stolen identities "illegally"

I have a co-worker that has a 9 year old daughter that received her SS statement which indicated she has worked 8 quarters.

Now stop your whining and put the blame where it belongs.

It is not "whining" to point out the obvious solution to the problem. I point them out because so many fools want to focus completely on the illegal worker. Why is the worker illegal? Because it suits employers (big ones who buy votes in congress) to force the workers to be illegal. Illegal workers have no rights. That's what these employers want. You want to fix the problem the solution is very simple. Either grant the workers legal visa status or kill the demand. You kill the demand the "illegal" workers go home. Now, stop your bitching about "illegal" people trying to survive on the pittance allotted to them by the wealthiest and most powerful people on the planet.

Buzz
05-22-2010, 01:49 PM
I just finally took the time to watch the clip on CNN's website. It is plain as could be that he said "a legal."

No story here, aside from the folks at Faux News have their ears tuned to hear what they want to hear.

K G
05-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I just finally took the time to watch the clip on CNN's website. It is plain as could be that he said "a legal."

No story here, aside from the folks at Faux News have their ears tuned to hear what they want to hear.

And the BHO-ites are trying to hang on to any shred of legitimacy that his Presidency might still contain....

Shrinking daily regards,

k g

dnf777
05-22-2010, 09:09 PM
I understand that you probably disagree with almost everything Obama has done, but what do you mean when you say his presidency has no legitimacy?

Understanding that you disagree with them, but the health care reform, the financial reform bill that just passed, as well as his continued conduct of the wars in Iraq and A-stan, his handling of the pirate situation, and the economic recovery and financial institution bail-outs, all lend legitimacy to his presidency. You may not like them, but he got them through a very hostile congress. Absolutely ZERO support from across the aisle on most issues, admitted obstructionists, and several DINOs sabotaging other efforts!

M&K's Retrievers
05-22-2010, 11:39 PM
I understand that you probably disagree with almost everything Obama has done, but what do you mean when you say his presidency has no legitimacy?

Understanding that you disagree with them, but the health care reform, the financial reform bill that just passed, as well as his continued conduct of the wars in Iraq and A-stan, his handling of the pirate situation, and the economic recovery and financial institution bail-outs, all lend legitimacy to his presidency. You may not like them, but he got them through a very hostile congress. Absolutely ZERO support from across the aisle on most issues, admitted obstructionists, and several DINOs sabotaging other efforts!

Dave, he barely got it done with a super majority. He shouldn't have needed help across the aisle.

Looking for a lame duck regards,

Mike

dnf777
05-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Dave, he barely got it done with a super majority. He shouldn't have needed help across the aisle.

Mike

You're right. And he didn't for the up and down vote. It's the obstructionist auto-fiibuster that now requires a supermajority to get anything done!

I pray for our country, that when the pendulum swings back to a republican majority, the dems are bigger and better than to pull the same stunt. I'm afraid history indicates otherwise, though.

JDogger
05-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I know a guy who hired 5 illegals to clean his property from weeds and such. It took 3 days. The illegals who only one couldd speak just enough English charged 100 dollars a hour(20 per man). I know local white boys who would of done it for 10.

Many of them get paid well .

Wow $2400.00!! That must have been some weed problem.

The question begs however, if he could have had someone else do it for half that amount....why didn't he?

JD

depittydawg
05-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Mike

The dysfunction the Republican's have caused in congress cannot be ignored. Their abuse of the filibuster is historic and tragic. Obama's mistake was i not recognizing from day one that he had a political enemy and they needed to be defeated, not coddled. Because of that, his agenda was lost, as was any chance for real reform.

david gibson
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM

you are leaving out the fact that the public overwhelmingly oppose these things he has crammed through. and like the Arizona bill the public overwhelming supports, he opposes it, and instead of being a father figure to bring sides together he takes a stand against a state along with the mexican president.

and he has his people apologize to china for the arizona bill? huh?

everything he does is just wrong wrong wrong

bobbyb
05-23-2010, 12:03 PM
They are most likely illegal which makes you a crook for hiring them and a sleaze for keeping from an American the opportunity of working so you can save a few bucks to buy those shotguns obama is going to take away.

Mike

Thank YOU Very much !!!!
BobbyB
cajun