PDA

View Full Version : Help me out...

M&K's Retrievers
05-21-2010, 12:27 AM
...with this immigration law BS. While on a recent trip to the Big Bend area of Texas, we encountered several check points (not on the border) in the middle of nowhere. Everyone was stopped and asked questions similar to a border crossing. Some were required to show ID, some were waived on through and some were detained and searched. You may find this hard to believe but the majority of those detained were Hispanic while most of those that were waived on were Gringos. How can this be legal? Stopping for no reason in the middle of BFE, obvious profiling. What's up with this? Don't get me wrong. I'm not against it. I'm just trying to figure out why this is different than what Arizona wants to do and the Feds should be doing.

dnf777
05-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Good question. Sounds like profiling to me, but then again, I think a little profiling (read efficiency) is acceptable, if not done for racist purposes. Like I've said before, unless you can check everyone (totally impossible) any screening programs are tailored to try and achieve highest yield possible. We don't screen white babies for sicle-cell trait, and we don't check black babies for Tay-Sachs disease. That is racial/ethnic profiling, clear and dry. But it is appropriate since it would be prohibitive to screen everyone.

As for you other question about hispanics profiling hispanics....I wouldn't be so sure about ruling that out. We've all heard of black police officers being extra tough on black kids, right? "Hey, I got here legally, YOU better do the same or get out!"

gmhr1
05-21-2010, 08:47 AM
If you lived in a border town where almost everyone is Hispanic you would see that most of the people pulled over on traffic stops or arrested for crimes are hispanic its not racial profiling thats who lives here. I'm white, with an officer military decal on my car I get stopped and asked my Citizenship when I go thru the check station. Last time I went through with a birthday cake their dog hit on my car and i was pulled over asked to get out while they searched my car.

dnf777
05-21-2010, 08:49 AM
If you lived in a border town where almost everyone is Hispanic you would see that most of the people pulled over on traffic stops or arrested for crimes are hispanic its not racial profiling thats who lives here. I'm white with an officer military decal on my car I get stopped and asked my Citizenship when I go thru the check station.

I got my cracker-a$$ in class-As army Captain uniform pulled out of a boarding gate and frisked. Both the gal frisking me, and myself had a good laugh at their profiling system. Actually, I enjoyed it.

ducknwork
05-21-2010, 10:47 AM
The laugh or the frisking?:D LOL...

pat addis
05-21-2010, 01:16 PM
...with this immigration law BS. While on a recent trip to the Big Bend area of Texas, we encountered several check points (not on the border) in the middle of nowhere. Everyone was stopped and asked questions similar to a border crossing. Some were required to show ID, some were waived on through and some were detained and searched. You may find this hard to believe but the majority of those detained were Hispanic while most of those that were waived on were Gringos. How can this be legal? Stopping for no reason in the middle of BFE, obvious profiling. What's up with this? Don't get me wrong. I'm not against it. I'm just trying to figure out why this is different than what Arizona wants to do and the Feds should be doing.

in ill. we have random traffic stops so how is this different?

az hunter
05-21-2010, 05:46 PM

what arizona just did is allow a officer to ask for proof of citizenship ONLY after a law has been broken. they can not stop you just because you were walking down the street or hispanic. the reason that arizona just passed this law is there are a few sheriffs i.e. joe arpaio maricopa county that are trying to do something about illegal imigration and the feds came in and said no no you cant do that. he now has a state law that says ok "ask" ONLY after a crime has been commited. this law is almost a mirror image of the feds and the hippacrit state of california.

Cody Covey
05-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I worked Loss prevention at a retail store and the Mexican supervisor i worked for said the officially policy is we don't profile, but we profile. That didn't just mean mexicans or blacks. If you came in dirty as hell with holes in your clothes I was watching you. Generally if you were a mexican teenager with a group of friends i watched you. It is what it is unfortunately.

Story time,
Black Friday we were watching two 12 y/o white girls walk through the toys section when one of them puts a pokemon card pack in her coat pocket. They go to leave we stop them and make them empty their pockets. Well apparently that wasn't the only one she had grabbed. Between the two of them they had $220 worth of pokemon cards. Then one of the girls kept going on about how she was from florida and didn't live here. didn't know her phone number anything. When the other girls mom gets there we ask and the girl lives right down the road from here and she calls the girls parents. Mom gets there we tell her about the vehement lying her daughter did...mom did not care one bit.

End story time :)

road kill
05-21-2010, 06:51 PM
what arizona just did is allow a officer to ask for proof of citizenship ONLY after a law has been broken. they can not stop you just because you were walking down the street or hispanic. the reason that arizona just passed this law is there are a few sheriffs i.e. joe arpaio maricopa county that are trying to do something about illegal imigration and the feds came in and said no no you cant do that. he now has a state law that says ok "ask" ONLY after a crime has been commited. this law is almost a mirror image of the feds and the hippacrit state of california.
GEE......you actually know more about the law that the President of the USA and the AG of the USA.
(even though they are agin' it)

Amazing.......:D

rk

dnf777
05-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Story time,
Black Friday we were watching two 12 y/o white girls walk through the toys section when one of them puts a pokemon card pack in her coat pocket. They go to leave we stop them and make them empty their pockets. Well apparently that wasn't the only one she had grabbed. Between the two of them they had $220 worth of pokemon cards. Then one of the girls kept going on about how she was from florida and didn't live here. didn't know her phone number anything. When the other girls mom gets there we ask and the girl lives right down the road from here and she calls the girls parents. Mom gets there we tell her about the vehement lying her daughter did...mom did not care one bit.

That's a sad story. And I guarantee you, no law, no profiling, no NOTHING will fill the void that an uncaring parent creates.

My moment of Mom getting called by security had nothing to do with stealing, but my friend and I had uncapped a jar of stink bait in the lingere section of Kmart as a gag. My knees have barely quit trembling to this day, after waiting my my parents to come get us. And I promise you, I have not done that again, although it was pretty funny up until we got caught. :cool:

az hunter
05-21-2010, 09:45 PM
GEE......you actually know more about the law that the President of the USA and the AG of the USA.
(even though they are agin' it)

Amazing.......:D

rk

the funny thing is the mexican president came to our country cried about the az bill because it is "ratialy profiling" the mexicans and eather today or yesterday was doing an interview with a reporter and was asked about his imigration laws he said that his police force always asks about legal status and if they are in mexico illegaly theY get a plain ride home. ISNT THAT EXACTLY WHAT WE DO!!!!!! HIPPOCRIT BASTARD!!!!!!!

ducknwork
05-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Story time,

I would have worn my kids tail out in the middle of the store in front of God and everybody. I bet it wouldn't have happened again...;)
Man, the world needs more people like me...:p:D;):cool:

On a side note, I was talking to a cop friend of mine a day or so ago and he told me that it is legal to use corporal punishment on your children as long a it doesn't leave a mark 'that lasts more than a few days.' Kinda funny way to put it if you ask me. All I know is that if I don't deal with my kids now, the cops will be dealing with them in 10 years.

LucyTudeOn4Feet
05-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Unlike what they do according to the OP in Big Bend area, which is just stop you because you happen to be there.
And also, in TX east of El Paso along I-10, and in CA along I-5. You get stopped just for being there. All you are doing is driving along the interstate.
So why do the feds think this is ok?

M&K's Retrievers
05-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Unlike what they do according to the OP in Big Bend area, which is just stop you because you happen to be there.
And also, in TX east of El Paso along I-10, and in CA along I-5. You get stopped just for being there. All you are doing is driving along the interstate.
So why do the feds think this is ok?

Just to be clear, what I was referring to in the OP is full time permanent check stations on the highway. I wouldn't know if anyone was pulled over for the Hell of it.

road kill
05-23-2010, 07:07 AM
the funny thing is the mexican president came to our country cried about the az bill because it is "ratialy profiling" the mexicans and eather today or yesterday was doing an interview with a reporter and was asked about his imigration laws he said that his police force always asks about legal status and if they are in mexico illegaly theY get a plain ride home. ISNT THAT EXACTLY WHAT WE DO!!!!!! HIPPOCRIT BASTARD!!!!!!!

You mean when he said "we send back them??":D

rk