PDA

View Full Version : Gitmo????

road kill
05-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Just curious, any of you independent middle of the roaders (:rolleyes: ) heard the closing date yet??

Wait....what?????
Unanimous vote in the Senate to stay OPEN???
So......Rush Limbaugh was right and Obama lied???

hahahahahaha!!!!!!:D

rk

duckheads
05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks RK! I needed a good laugh this afternoon!

Franco
05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Why spend millions detaining/entertaining the terrorist at Gitmo? Just more spending by the Republicans.

Better to just drop them over the mountains in Pakistan from 40,000 feet!

That is the middle of the road view.;-)

road kill
05-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Why spend millions detaining/entertaining the terrorist at Gitmo? Just more spending by the Republicans.

Better to just drop them over the mountains in Pakistan from 40,000 feet!

That is the middle of the road view.;-)

YABUTT what about all those jobs in IL at the prison they were gonna use......

rk

Franco
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
YABUTT what about all those jobs in IL at the prison they were gonna use......

rk

I know how you Republicans like to be frivolous with tax payer's money. That you learned it from the Democrats but, why waste anymore tax dollars on these thugs.

Who knows, if we drop them over Pakistan, one may hit Obama...oops, I mean Osama on the way down.

road kill
05-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I know how you Republicans like to be frivolous with tax payer's money. That you learned it from the Democrats but, why waste anymore tax dollars on these thugs.

Who knows, if we drop them over Pakistan, one may hit Obama...oops, I mean Osama on the way down.

Oh, was it the Republicans promising to close GITMO last November?
And we all know IL is a bastian of Republican thought.

I want to here from Yardley what Obama really meant when he PROMISED to have GITMO shut within a year.

It ain't happenin!!!!!:D

rk

Franco
05-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh, was it the Republicans promising to close GITMO last November?
And we all know IL is a bastian of Republican thought.

rk

No, it was the Dems that wanted to close it and the Repubs want to keep it open.

I say, "Why waste more money".

Drop the bearded yahoos from 40,000 feet!

Do them a favor so they can hookup with thier 70 virgins in Paridise.

dnf777
05-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I think he foolishly bit off more than he could chew in order to get a good post inauguration symbolic photo-op. Did he intentionally lie, knowing that he would not close it in a year? Probably not, but foolish in not knowing better or treading more carefully in the first place.

Gerry Clinchy
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I think he foolishly bit off more than he could chew in order to get a good post inauguration symbolic photo-op. Did he intentionally lie, knowing that he would not close it in a year? Probably not, but foolish in not knowing better or treading more carefully in the first place.

Bingo :-) I don't necessarily think that he intentionally "lied" ... but he said things because they sounded good on the campaign trail. What disturbs me more is that his speeches still sound like campaign speeches rather than reality. His "progress" with Iran comes to mind.

YardleyLabs
05-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Bingo :-) I don't necessarily think that he intentionally "lied" ... but he said things because they sounded good on the campaign trail. What disturbs me more is that his speeches still sound like campaign speeches rather than reality. His "progress" with Iran comes to mind.
Plan A was pretty straightforward: close Gitmo, move the prisoners to US prisons, and proceed with prosecutions. Congress killed that plan by indicating that no funds could be used to implement it. Plan B has been to empty Gitmo by proceeding with prosecutions. However, the management of the prisoners over a period of years makes effective prosecution almost impossible. Unfortunately, when things have been screwed up as badly as was the management of persons captured in Afghanistan, there is no reason to believe it can ever be made right.

dback
05-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Plan A was pretty straightforward: close Gitmo, move the prisoners to US prisons, and proceed with prosecutions. Congress killed that plan by indicating that no funds could be used to implement it. Plan B has been to empty Gitmo by proceeding with prosecutions. However, the management of the prisoners over a period of years makes effective prosecution almost impossible. Unfortunately, when things have been screwed up as badly as was the management of persons captured in Afghanistan, there is no reason to believe it can ever be made right.

I'm tellin' you guys....Jeff's no plagiarist......he's been writing these damn speeches!:-)

Gerry Clinchy
05-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Jeff, you've changed the subject ... the concern I expressed was whether there was an intentional "lie" or whether the situation was misjudged.

Even the press acknowledged that the outgoing POTUS gave O more access to information prior to taking office than had ever been noted previously. By the time O took office he, and his staff, should have had very good information on at least many of his key campaign issues.

Plan A was a bit ill-conceived since it failed to consider the funding & the public reaction (evidently shared by their legislators) to having these alleged terrorists in somebody's "backyard"; and rather quickly finding out that other countries didn't want them either!

Plan B should have been worked out in advance based on information that could have been garnered early in the new administration with complete access available in addition to pre-inauguration information.

If there were truly "innocent" people at Gitmo, getting them straightened out would be the first thing to do. That seems to have been done (though there seems some disagreement whether all released were truly innocent).

The public outcry was about how prisoners were treated, not by their geographical location. A pragmatist should have been able to figure that out?

So, I'm taking the position that this, as with other actions, have been the product of misjudgments. The misjudgment in this case would be failing to recognize the complexity of the problem much sooner, and continuing the "feel good" rhetoric after the information was fully available.

Hew
05-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Unfortunately, when things have been screwed up as badly as was the management of persons captured in Afghanistan, there is no reason to believe it can ever be made right.
And what are we doing differently today under Obama's "leadership?"