PDA

View Full Version : Braclets..How Cool Is This?

M&K's Retrievers
05-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Pelosi and Biden both wore bracelets protesting the Arizona Immigration Law while Mexico's El Presidente addressed Congress last week and then joined the rest of the Dems applauding our dressing down. What a deal.

This entire thing sucks regards,

Mike

charly_t
05-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Pelosi and Biden both wore bracelets protesting the Arizona Immigration Law while Mexico's El Presidente addressed Congress last week and then joined the rest of the Dems applauding our dressing down. What a deal.

Mike

Sure is a different era now. I can remember when president L. B. Johnson grabbed Trudeau ( from Canada ) by his lapels and said "You pi$$ed on my carpet". I have forgotten what Trudeau had said or done to anger Johnson. At least that's what I think that I remember. VBG

Gerry Clinchy
05-23-2010, 06:21 AM

Seems totally in bad taste for these two elected officials to join in a "protest" of this nature. Biden represents all citizens, including those from AZ. Both of these people are near the head of the line for the Presidency if something should happen to the President. They should act with the honor that such responsibility would/should require. Just wonderin' if either of them read the law either?

Napolitano also didn't read the law, but said she wouldn't have signed it. Is the law a good one or a bad one? It would be nice to know they at least read it before commenting.

There is no question that the opinions of these people in authority (including the POTUS) influence public opinion. They have a responsibility to voice opinions that are based on the facts. I understand that the law is only a couple of pages ... they should have the time to read it. And if they disagree with it, then they should be specific as to what wording they disagree with. If it is essentially the same as Federal law, then what are Obama, Biden and Pelosi protesting against?

YardleyLabs
05-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Sure is a different era now. I can remember when president L. B. Johnson grabbed Trudeau ( from Canada ) by his lapels and said "You pi$$ed on my carpet". I have forgotten what Trudeau had said or done to anger Johnson. At least that's what I think that I remember. VBG
I assume that you are NOT holding Johnson up as a shining example of diplomacy.
:BIG:

gman0046
05-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Biden, Pelosi, Obongo and many other Leftist Democrats just sink lower and lower. What an embarrassment to real Americans.

road kill
05-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Mike

#1--I wonder if they read what is printed on the bracelets???;)

#2--Pretty big slap in the face to the whole "Live Strong" and cancer awareness bracelet programs that exist.:oops:

But why would anyone expect anything else from this group???:D

rk

Goose
05-23-2010, 11:17 AM
It's looking more and more like North Korea's leader (and Obama's hero) Kim Jong-il ordered the attack that sunk the South Korean warship.

Maybe Obama with his leftist pals Reid and Pelosi should invite Kim Jong-il to give a victory speech in front of Congress where the democrats can give him a standing ovation, too. Maybe a key to the city.

We live in Cuba now.

YardleyLabs
05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
It's looking more and more like North Korea's leader (and Obama's hero) Kim Jong-il ordered the attack that sunk the South Korean warship.

Maybe Obama with his leftist pals Reid and Pelosi should invite Kim Jong-il to give a victory speech in front of Congress where the democrats can give him a standing ovation, too. Maybe a key to the city.

We live in Cuba now.
When did Kim Jong-il become "Obama's hero"? I guess that must be something else they taught you in Cuba....;-)

charly_t
05-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I assume that you are NOT holding Johnson up as a shining example of diplomacy.
:BIG:

LOL, no ! Just living in the past.......some good, some bad. I might add that there are times when one speaks carefully and times when diplomacy should be ignored ( or the person ). ;)

dnf777
05-23-2010, 02:01 PM

We live in Cuba now.

You guys are completely nuts.....over the top!
I'd laugh except I think you take yourself seriously on these issues???
This is a sad day for America...after the cowboy macho crap that destroyed our respected, leadership position in the world, THIS is the response that a guy who is attempting to restore us as something above a banana republic, empirical nation gets??

You guys need a reality check. I do NOT support Obama in all his positions, buy MY GOD, after what we've been through, this is a welcome breath of fresh air....and intelligence. (it's ok not to be stupid anymore!) But heaven help us if we pronounce "Pakistan" correctly! We're snobs!

JEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!!

zeus3925
05-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Seems totally in bad taste for these two elected officials to join in a "protest" of this nature. Biden represents all citizens, including those from AZ. Both of these people are near the head of the line for the Presidency if something should happen to the President. They should act with the honor that such responsibility would/should require. Just wonderin' if either of them read the law either?

Napolitano also didn't read the law, but said she wouldn't have signed it. Is the law a good one or a bad one? It would be nice to know they at least read it before commenting.

There is no question that the opinions of these people in authority (including the POTUS) influence public opinion. They have a responsibility to voice opinions that are based on the facts. I understand that the law is only a couple of pages ... they should have the time to read it. And if they disagree with it, then they should be specific as to what wording they disagree with. If it is essentially the same as Federal law, then what are Obama, Biden and Pelosi protesting against?

Did you read it, Jerry?

Gerry Clinchy
05-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Did you read it, Jerry?

Nope ... but I don't think I have given an opinion on the law either :-) ... My opinion expressed is limited to whether people, whose job it should be to read the law, should render their judgments before they have read it (and have admitted to not having read it).

Gerry Clinchy
05-23-2010, 03:07 PM
I might add that there are times when one speaks carefully and times when diplomacy should be ignored ( or the person ). :wink:

LOL! Ain't that the truth.

Goose
05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
When did Kim Jong-il become "Obama's hero"? I guess that must be something else they taught you in Cuba....;-)

You don't think Obama looks up to Kimmy? Really? Boy, I do. But he also has respect for Che, Raul, Fidel and Mao. Or maybe he's just jealous of the power and control they have. There ain't no Republicans in Cuba. Fidel took care of them.

And while we're on this subject...I always thought Billy Clinton would have made a great lieutenant under Joe Stalin. Clinton could have got the job DONE in Russia working for Stalin! No doubt about that. Fortunately, our pesky Constitution (and the fact that we all have guns!) got in his way here. And Obama's working on the destruction of both! Ain't it great!

Secede now because we live in Cuba now.

depittydawg
05-23-2010, 08:25 PM
You don't think Obama looks up to Kimmy? Really? Boy, I do. But he also has respect for Che, Raul, Fidel and Mao. Or maybe he's just jealous of the power and control they have. There ain't no Republicans in Cuba. Fidel took care of them.

And while we're on this subject...I always thought Billy Clinton would have made a great lieutenant under Joe Stalin. Clinton could have got the job DONE in Russia working for Stalin! No doubt about that. Fortunately, our pesky Constitution (and the fact that we all have guns!) got in his way here. And Obama's working on the destruction of both! Ain't it great!

Hmmm. The only Pres I've ever heard actually talk about being a dictator was the "Commander Guy".

zeus3925
05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Excuse me , Goose--Aren't you getting a little hyperventilated there?

dnf777
05-24-2010, 05:46 AM

Thanks for the comic relief! Its been rough around here with the oil spill and what.......we needed a little chuckle....thanks! :D

david gibson
05-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the comic relief! Its been rough around here with the oil spill and what.......we needed a little chuckle....thanks! :D

wow - that oil spill is affecting you way up there in yankee-land huh? if obama had actually acted "from day one" maybe it wouldn't have gotten that far....

dnf777
05-24-2010, 07:29 AM
wow - that oil spill is affecting you way up there in yankee-land huh? if obama had actually acted "from day one" maybe it wouldn't have gotten that far....

More comic relief! Thanks, but I've had enough.

YOU are the same crowd that harped and harped about gov't STAYING OUT OF PRIVATE BUSINESS just days ago! Drill Baby is piling on the wagon also of calling out Obama for not getting big gov't involved!! This is double-speak right out of Nineteen Eighty-four at its BEST!!!

What happened to the guarantees that this would never happen, and if it did, the oil industry is poised and ready to clean up? That was good enough for Cheney, so why are you imposing a double standard now? Can't have you cake and eat it too.....its soaked in oil anyway.

I hope this changes the mindset of the minority party that big business should be left alone to regulate itself. Other countries that have reasonable gov't oversight of such large scale operations (Norway) are kicking our butts in safety and technology. Hell, we'll probably have to ask them to bail us out of this disaster before its all done. Time to get more oversight of such big businesses, and get gov't out of our bedrooms and private lives. Why can't the republicans get that straight?

gman0046
05-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Those in "Yankee Land" who are not affected by the Oil Spill Disaster just continue to support Obongo and his administration no matter what. You would think those participating in this web site would be more concerned of what's happening to our environment. Instead of Obongo kissing Calderon's a$$, the Federal Government should have become involved in over seeing the stoppage of the leak and the massive clean up. Leaving it up to BP is like a fox guarding the hen house. It's over a month since the explosion and it keeps getting worse. I'm sick to my stomach seeing what's happening to the Gulf's wildlife.

zeus3925
05-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Those in "Yankee Land" who are not affected by the Oil Spill Disaster just continue to support Obongo and his administration no matter what. You would think those participating in this web site would be more concerned of what's happening to our environment. Instead of Obongo kissing Calderon's a$$, the Federal Government should have become involved in over seeing the stoppage of the leak and the massive clean up. Leaving it up to BP is like a fox guarding the hen house. It's over a month since the explosion and it keeps getting worse. I'm sick to my stomach seeing what's happening to the Gulf's wildlife.

There goes that government involvement thing!

dnf777
05-24-2010, 08:37 AM

Yeah, its laughable! Up until now its "keep gooberment out of business!!" and "obongo is trying to take over" (gooberment motors comments)

Now that there's a chance to attack, its "why isn't the big government helping the poor overworked oil company?" Kind of like lets keep gooberment out of the financial regulatory business....but where's our $700billion when we need it?

The double-speak is pathetic! I'm beginning to think its a game they play to see how amazingly ridiculous they can sound! One outdoes the other.

This is a catastrophe. As I speak, our county is having an open forum on Marcellus extraction safety for Pennsylvania. I hope we hold our drillers to a higher safety and contingency plan standard that we have in the past! Seems like BP is somewhat behind Frances Drake when it comes to controlling gushers!

Nor_Cal_Angler
05-24-2010, 09:22 AM
More comic relief! Thanks, but I've had enough.

YOU are the same crowd that harped and harped about gov't STAYING OUT OF PRIVATE BUSINESS just days ago! Drill Baby is piling on the wagon also of calling out Obama for not getting big gov't involved!! This is double-speak right out of Nineteen Eighty-four at its BEST!!!

What happened to the guarantees that this would never happen, and if it did, the oil industry is poised and ready to clean up? That was good enough for Cheney, so why are you imposing a double standard now? Can't have you cake and eat it too.....its soaked in oil anyway.

I hope this changes the mindset of the minority party that big business should be left alone to regulate itself. Other countries that have reasonable gov't oversight of such large scale operations (Norway) are kicking our butts in safety and technology. Hell, we'll probably have to ask them to bail us out of this disaster before its all done. Time to get more oversight of such big businesses, and get gov't out of our bedrooms and private lives. Why can't the republicans get that straight?

Double Speak...HUH???

Well, why did you DEM's cry BLOODY MURDER over Bush and the Gooberment with regard to their reaction over Katrina....

and now that your counterparts are making reference to the exact same "REACTION TIME" +1 (ignoring the floods of TENESSEE).....YOU have the SACK to tell people their double speaking.....

I dont post here anymore because this board is to SOFT for my blood...but every once in a while I find it worth while.

dnf777
05-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Double Speak...HUH???

Well, why did you DEM's cry BLOODY MURDER over Bush and the Gooberment with regard to their reaction over Katrina....

and now that your counterparts are making reference to the exact same "REACTION TIME" +1 (ignoring the floods of TENESSEE).....YOU have the SACK to tell people their double speaking.....

I dont post here anymore because this board is to SOFT for my blood...but every once in a while I find it worth while.

Uh..... an oil company with self-professed competence in drilling management caused this oil spill. Mother Nature created Katrina. Katrina required airlift support, potable water, and field medical facilities. All of which the military is specificallyl designed to cope with. Your camp specifically chastised the "obongo gooberment" for sticking its nose into private businesses! You are comparing apples and oranges....or oil and water....which don't mix.

gman0046
05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
What's the difference wether the disaster was Mother Nature or incompetence by BP? The fact remains Obongo and his band of idiots have failed miserably to respond to what could by the largest ecological disaster is this countries history. It would be different if the oil spill was lapping at your door step up in Yankee Land. How are y'all reacting to the pictures of oil fouled wildlife? Or is it just someone else's problem?

dnf777
05-24-2010, 09:50 AM
What's the difference wether the disaster was Mother Nature or incompetence by BP? The fact remains Obongo and his band of idiots have failed miserably to respond to what could by the largest ecological disaster is this countries history. It would be different if the oil spill was lapping at your door step up in Yankee Land. How are y'all reacting to the pictures of oil fouled wildlife? Or is it just someone else's problem?

Its not a "yankee" or "southern" problem. Its an environmental disaster. I grew up on the gulf coast (Baytown Texas) and remember scrubbing tar off my feet as a kid. So you can stop the "yankee" thing, ok? And we stand to open drilling on one of the largest gas/oil reserves in the country, it that 's not enough.

I've already answered you comments twice, but maybe the third time you'll see. The federal gov't (military) has mobile osmosis purifiers, helicopters, mobile hospitals....exactly what was needed after katrina. The federal gov't is not in the business of oil drilling, and has kindly been asked by the republican party to keep thier noses out of private business. See the difference? What, are you proposing a communist take-over like Norway of offshore drilling? I've seen it all now!

Nor_Cal_Angler
05-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Gman glad u get it....Doctorate huh......

NCA

Cody Covey
05-24-2010, 09:53 AM
The difference, at least for me, is that the government involvement republican speak of is more in jest than anything. You complain and complain about big business and when Bush was in office about Katrina and now that you have your own Katrina moment all you can come up with is it's not governments fault we should stay out of it. But you know damn well if this had been Bush it would've been Katrina all over again.

And DNF you'll notice the reaction time that NCA was referring to was Tennessee. Where the flood waters were up to peoples attics.

dnf777
05-24-2010, 09:58 AM
And DNF you'll notice the reaction time that NCA was referring to was Tennessee. Where the flood waters were up to peoples attics.

And was there widespread hospital destruction and closure, and lack of potable water over a two state area? NO. With Katrina, a two state area essentially had every utility, water processing plant, and sewer plant destroyed or shut down. The economic damage was on a national scale in TN to be sure, and federal dollars are flowing....but as far as an infrastructure catastraphe, the TN floods were not even close to Katrina's swath of destruction. You know that.

gman0046
05-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry guy's, I don't get it. Obongo has let BP call the shots for the last month and a half a week. Meanwhile the spill continues unabated. It's quite apparent BP is incapable of stopping the leak. Should Obongo and his cronies stand by until the entire East Coast and Gulf of Mexico coastal recreation areas, fisheries and wildlife are destroyed? It's a real possibility this will happen if BP's "Top Kill" effort fails and the leak continues for another three months as BP says the next effort to stop the leak will take. In my opinion thats unacceptable. I wonder how Obongo's buddy Calderon will react when oil eventually starts washing up on Mexico's shorline?

Sorry DNF, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama were devastated by Katrina not two states.

depittydawg
05-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Sorry but the two incidents, the hurricane that destroyed New Orleans and the Oil spill in the gulf are not comparable in terms of expected government response. A hurricane is an annual occurrence for which a response has been planned, rehearsed and exercised on numerous occasions successfully under more than one Presidential administration. The response has included a significant role to be played by federal resources that are pre-funded and staffed to carry out rescue and clean up services.
The oil spill is a different beast. First off, there is no federal action plan that I am aware of that is funded and ready to step up in the event of the sinking of an Oil Platform and the resultant release of oi into a sea. Second, recall that BP underestimated for weeks the amount of the spill. Finally, the federal government has stepped up and no doubt all the "Yankees" will be paying for this mess right along with those who are living it. I'm no fan of President Obama. But it does get old hearing people try to blame the guy for anything and everything under the sun that dis-pleases them.

Franco
05-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Sorry but the two incidents, the hurricane that destroyed New Orleans and the Oil spill in the gulf are not comparable in terms of expected government response. A hurricane is an annual occurrence for which a response has been planned, rehearsed and exercised on numerous occasions successfully under more than one Presidential administration. The response has included a significant role to be played by federal resources that are pre-funded and staffed to carry out rescue and clean up services.
The oil spill is a different beast. First off, there is no federal action plan that I am aware of that is funded and ready to step up in the event of the sinking of an Oil Platform and the resultant release of oi into a sea. Second, recall that BP underestimated for weeks the amount of the spill. Finally, the federal government has stepped up and no doubt all the "Yankees" will be paying for this mess right along with those who are living it. I'm no fan of President Obama. But it does get old hearing people try to blame the guy for anything and everything under the sun that dis-pleases them.

You are correct, Obama is not to blame in connection with oil leak or the clean up. BP has hired every shrimper/fisherman that wants work in the gulf coast region to help with clean up.

However, had this oil leak happened under Bush/Cheney, the national media would be clamoring for thier lynching.

M&K's Retrievers
05-24-2010, 10:36 AM
It's my post and I'll cry if I want to. What's this got to do with bracelets?:p

ducknwork
05-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Yeah, its laughable! Up until now its "keep gooberment out of business!!" and "obongo is trying to take over" (gooberment motors comments)

Now that there's a chance to attack, its "why isn't the big government helping the poor overworked oil company?" Kind of like lets keep gooberment out of the financial regulatory business....but where's our $700billion when we need it?

The double-speak is pathetic! I'm beginning to think its a game they play to see how amazingly ridiculous they can sound! One outdoes the other.

This is a catastrophe. As I speak, our county is having an open forum on Marcellus extraction safety for Pennsylvania. I hope we hold our drillers to a higher safety and contingency plan standard that we have in the past! Seems like BP is somewhat behind Frances Drake when it comes to controlling gushers!

So you don't think that it is reasonable to expect the government to not 'take over' businesses, but still be there if a national emergency that threatens some of our territory? I guess I don't see what is unacceptable about that. Methinks you are making something out of nothing as well...Maybe it's a slow day at the office, Doc. Seems like there is some pot stirring going on today...

dnf777
05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
So you don't think that it is reasonable to expect the government to not 'take over' businesses, but still be there if a national emergency that threatens some of our territory? I guess I don't see what is unacceptable about that. Methinks you are making something out of nothing as well...Maybe it's a slow day at the office, Doc. Seems like there is some pot stirring going on today...

I didn't take a position. I merely pointed out the double-speak being carried out by those who now all the sudden want "gooberment" to take over, despite all the claims of total incompetence! Your side is the one attacking Obama now for NOT orchestrating a gov't take over. What were you all saying when he (we) bought GM?

That issue aside, I'm not so sure our gov't is or ever has been in the oil drilling/containment business. The USCG is doing a bang-up job according to Franco, and I'll take his word for it, but didn't the oil companies offer reassurances that this was not going to happen? (not that accidents don't occur) but that they are ready and capable of managing any conceivable spill? I think its time to swallow our pride and ask Norway or France (who has gov't involvement and oversight with offshore drilling) to help save our precious wetlands before they're destroyed. The new videos aren't very comforting. Besides, France still owes us BIG!

Gerry Clinchy
05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
the Federal Government should have become involved in over seeing the stoppage of the leak and the massive clean up. Leaving it up to BP is like a fox guarding the hen house.

FWIW, Salzar's commented that the govt wouldn't know what to do, and that was one reason for letting BP handle it. I guess this was because of the newness of drilling so far below the ocean surface.

OTOH, he also said that if BP didn't get the job done soon, the govt would step in. However, if his first statement was accurate (that the govt doesn't really know what to do in this particular situation), then I'm not sure that it will make much difference; or would have made much difference.

I can't imagine that BP sees any benefit at all in not getting this mess cleaned up as soon as possible. I can't envision any way that it is any benefit for BP to drag their feet.

depittydawg
05-24-2010, 02:13 PM
You are correct, Obama is not to blame in connection with oil leak or the clean up. BP has hired every shrimper/fisherman that wants work in the gulf coast region to help with clean up.

However, had this oil leak happened under Bush/Cheney, the national media would be clamoring for thier lynching.

You might be right. They are starting to clamor for an Obama lynching. In either case, I think it's ludicrous at best.

dnf777
05-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Not to be labeled as one who brings up Bush/Cheney ;), but since you mentioned it.....

What are the relative contributions of Obama/Biden versus Bush/Cheney to the relaxed safety and response plans currently employed by the self-policing oil extraction firms? (rhetorical question as we'll never know, since the doors locked and shades pulled down meetings Cheney had with the energy execs) I've heard, although can't back it up, that those meetings allowed for cost-savings regarding sonar activated shut off valves, similar to ones that have been proven effective in other countries.

Since W was born with a silver oil derrick in his mouth, and Cheney buttered his bread with Haliburton dollars, I doubt they had anything to do with coddling the oil industries! :rolleyes:

Franco
05-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Since W was born with a silver oil derrick in his mouth, and Cheney buttered his bread with Haliburton dollars, I doubt they had anything to do with coddling the oil industries! :rolleyes:

I don't think you can go there.

Our offshore drilling regulations are the toughest in the world so, Cheney did NOT ease them. Yes, we have much tougher regs that Singapore, S America and Trinadad when it comes to offshore drilling. The North Sea regs are as tough as ours. Shiit happens and I'm not convined that tougher oversight would have caught the failed BOP. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the toughest regs in the world when it comes to offshore drilling but tougher regs will not be the end of accidents and spills/leaks.

road kill
05-24-2010, 03:48 PM

HMMMMMM....interesting to say the least.

Does anyone know who has recieved the MOST political contributions from BP over the last 20+ years??

Bush??
Clinton??
Bush??
Cheney??

Anyone??:D

BTW: I think it speaks volumes about the Progressive party that they show solidarity with "ILLEGAL" aliens over the fine citizens of Arizona!!:oops:
That is absolutely PATHETIC!!!
I am ashamed for them.

rk

Buzz
05-24-2010, 04:19 PM

Our offshore drilling regulations are the toughest in the world so, Cheney did NOT ease them. Yes, we have much tougher regs that Singapore, S America and Trinadad when it comes to offshore drilling. The North Sea regs are as tough as ours. Shiit happens and I'm not convined that tougher oversight would have caught the failed BOP. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the toughest regs in the world when it comes to offshore drilling but tougher regs will not be the end of accidents and spills/leaks.

Of course other countries require acoustic switches, and we don't because they cost $1/2 million apiece...

depittydawg
05-24-2010, 04:26 PM

I think you're correct. Tough Regulatons don't prevent accidents. They reduce the chance. For all we know we have great reg's ad without them we would have had many more incidents of this magnitude or worse. Best thing is to fix it and learn from it. If nothing else this has been a wake up call. Over the last 10 years, we now have a much clearer view of what "addicted to oil" means. We have seen the strategic dangers, the militaristic threats, and now the ecological impact. Lets clean up the mess, and hopefully support those industry's and leaders who offer up alternatives oil addiction.

M&K's Retrievers
05-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Of course other countries require acoustic switches, and we don't because they cost $1/2 million apiece...

AAAH. I love it when they play unplugged. Pun intended...:rolleyes:

sandyg
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
You guys are completely nuts.....over the top!
I'd laugh except I think you take yourself seriously on these issues???
This is a sad day for America...after the cowboy macho crap that destroyed our respected, leadership position in the world, THIS is the response that a guy who is attempting to restore us as something above a banana republic, empirical nation gets??

You guys need a reality check. I do NOT support Obama in all his positions, buy MY GOD, after what we've been through, this is a welcome breath of fresh air....and intelligence. (it's ok not to be stupid anymore!) But heaven help us if we pronounce "Pakistan" correctly! We're snobs!

JEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!!

"welcome breath of fresh air....and intelligence."
BWAH, HA, HA, HA,HA!!

Nobama and his administration are the biggest bunch of f@#kups since Jimmy Carter and his nitwit crew. What's the common link? THEY'RE ALL DUMICRATS!!!

This oilspill fiasco and this administration's response to it is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Please, please, please, Americans wake-up in November!!!

depittydawg
05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
"welcome breath of fresh air....and intelligence."
BWAH, HA, HA, HA,HA!!

Nobama and his administration are the biggest bunch of f@#kups since Jimmy Carter and his nitwit crew. What's the common link? THEY'RE ALL DUMICRATS!!!

This oilspill fiasco and this administration's response to it is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

That's pretty funny that you skipped the worst Administration in the History of the nation.... The Cheney Regime!

gman0046
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Was Cheney President? You can say what you want about Bush and Cheney, at least they are 100% American. Obongo's a Kenyan and Biden is dumber then dirt. Why don't you Democrats vote for an American next time. BTW have you seen the Kenyan Clowns birth certificate? Don't you think its time he produced it?

Buzz
05-24-2010, 08:07 PM

Somebody please tell me that this is a joke.

zeus3925
05-24-2010, 08:29 PM

What do you mean, Sandy? You had your mind made up a long time before oil was leaking in the Gulf.

zeus3925
05-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I think you're correct. Tough Regulatons don't prevent accidents. They reduce the chance. For all we know we have great reg's ad without them we would have had many more incidents of this magnitude or worse. Best thing is to fix it and learn from it. If nothing else this has been a wake up call. Over the last 10 years, we now have a much clearer view of what "addicted to oil" means. We have seen the strategic dangers, the militaristic threats, and now the ecological impact. Lets clean up the mess, and hopefully support those industry's and leaders who offer up alternatives oil addiction.

You speaka da truth, depittydawg!

dnf777
05-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Its a joke.
A well-worn joke.

Hey, did you hear about the people jumping off bridges in Paris?
They're all in-Seine!

How 'bout the poor guy who got caught in an upholstery machine?
He's all recovered now.

We had a streaker run through our Church last Sunday.
They caught him by the organ.

sandyg
05-24-2010, 10:02 PM

No joke.

Campaign promise - close Gitmo.
16 months later - still open.

Campaign promise - transparent administration.
16 months later - last press conference, 43 weeks ago.

Campaign promise - end the Iraq war.
16 months later - still there.

Campaign promise - it's Bush's fault.
16 months later - still Bush's fault.

Campaign promise - save the environment.
16 months later - don't get involved in solving the largest oil leak ever because he doesn't know what to do.

Shall I continue?

Nor_Cal_Angler
05-24-2010, 10:56 PM
No joke.

Campaign promise - close Gitmo.
16 months later - still open.

Campaign promise - transparent administration.
16 months later - last press conference, 43 weeks ago.

Campaign promise - end the Iraq war.
16 months later - still there.

Campaign promise - it's Bush's fault.
16 months later - still Bush's fault.

Campaign promise - save the environment.
16 months later - don't get involved in solving the largest oil leak ever because he doesn't know what to do.

Shall I continue?

You speaka da truth, sandyg....Fixed it for ya...

Hows that unemployment not to go above 10% working for you all in MI..there sandy!!!! Because I can tell you it is CRUSHING my brother in AZ and my friends here in N. Cali are ready to slit a wrist!!!!

Just another small insignificant promise that was made.....to the tune of a TRILLION dollars.

NCA

depittydawg
05-24-2010, 11:10 PM
....Fixed it for ya...

Hows that unemployment not to go above 10% working for you all in MI..there sandy!!!! Because I can tell you it is CRUSHING my brother in AZ and my friends here in N. Cali are ready to slit a wrist!!!!

Just another small insignificant promise that was made.....to the tune of a TRILLION dollars.

NCA

How long do you realistically think it will take to fix the economic problems that took 25 years of Corruption to create? And what would you advise the President to do?

sandyg
05-25-2010, 04:16 AM
How long do you realistically think it will take to fix the economic problems that took 25 years of Corruption to create? And what would you advise the President to do?

He can start by regulating the cause of the whole mess, Freddie and Fannie. Instead, he puts his head in the sand along with bumbling Barney and dummy Dodd.

ducknwork
05-25-2010, 06:14 AM
I didn't take a position. I merely pointed out the double-speak being carried out by those who now all the sudden want "gooberment" to take over, despite all the claims of total incompetence! Your side is the one attacking Obama now for NOT orchestrating a gov't take over. What were you all saying when he (we) bought GM?

That issue aside, I'm not so sure our gov't is or ever has been in the oil drilling/containment business. The USCG is doing a bang-up job according to Franco, and I'll take his word for it, but didn't the oil companies offer reassurances that this was not going to happen? (not that accidents don't occur) but that they are ready and capable of managing any conceivable spill? I think its time to swallow our pride and ask Norway or France (who has gov't involvement and oversight with offshore drilling) to help save our precious wetlands before they're destroyed. The new videos aren't very comforting. Besides, France still owes us BIG!

So what is your position? I don't really think that it is double speak to expect the government to help save the natural resources of our country.

Everything isn't black and white all the time...

sandyg
05-25-2010, 06:37 AM
....Fixed it for ya...

NCA

I've been laid off for over a year (automotive engineer). My county has a 20% unemployment rate. I can't give my house away, let alone sell it.

We don't need hope and change, we need intelligence and stability coming from the white house.

Buzz
05-25-2010, 07:55 AM
He can start by regulating the cause of the whole mess, Freddie and Fannie. Instead, he puts his head in the sand along with bumbling Barney and dummy Dodd.

It is obvious that you have put no further effort into understanding what happened leading up to the financial crisis than listen to Rush on the radio. You had your mind made up before Obama took the oath.

dnf777
05-25-2010, 07:57 AM
So what is your position? I don't really think that it is double speak to expect the government to help save the natural resources of our country.

Everything isn't black and white all the time...

Well, not being a petroleum engineer, I'm not in a good position to have a position. In the larger sense, I suspect we will end up relying on foreign help from coutries who have for the past ten years turned out engineering students from their (and ours) colleges and universities, rather than let their kids get fat and stupid eating nachos and playing Grand Auto Theft III, and then of the ones who DO go to school, get degrees in business and law, but not the sciences or technologies.

If you twist my arm into a possible solution, I would have to say the only thing that makes common sense to me is a large-scale Fogarty catheter, like we use to control ruptured bleeding vessels in the body. They tried inserting a 4" pipe into the well and sucking along those lines, but WHAT a freakin' joke! I picture an open fire hydrant, and some kid with a straw in his mouth trying to contain the spewing water! Make a 24 or 30" pipe with an expandable gasket back 100 feet from the pipes end. Insert that several hundred feet into the well, monitor pressures as you slowly expand the cuff to form a seal, while applying suction to the pipe and converting the flow from AROUND THE PIPE, to THROUGH THE PIPE, then to a waiting surface vessel or collection station.

This "top kill" sounds like kids trying to cram mud-pies into a gushing fire hydrant to stop it! I hope I'm wrong, but that sounds like a whole lotta wishful thinking to me!

Gerry Clinchy
05-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Do something about the corruption? v. using the "same ole" back room deals & pork promises in order to pass the health care legislation?

Appoint people of integrity to important positions v. those who find paying their taxes an inconvenience?

gman0046
05-25-2010, 08:16 AM
dnf777, it's called a Foley Catheter not a Forgarty.

Buzz
05-25-2010, 08:23 AM

Dave is not a urologist...

Although I'm sure a lot of his patients come out of the OR with a Foley.

Gerry Clinchy
05-25-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/science/earth/25spill.html?th&emc=th

The NY Times today repeats that the govt simply doesn't have the expertise to step in and "do something". Their role is to keep the pressure on BP.

But on Monday, Mr. Salazar backed off, conceding to the reality that BP and the oil companies have access to the best technology to attack the well, a mile below the surface, even though that technology has proved so far to have fallen short of its one purpose. The government’s role, he acknowledged, is largely supervisory and the primary responsibility for the spill, for legal and practical reasons, remains with the company.

“The administration has done everything we can possibly do to make sure that we push BP to stop the spill and to contain the impact,” Mr. Salazar said. “We have also been very clear that there are areas where BP and the private sector are the ones who must continue to lead the efforts with government oversight, such as the deployment of private sector technology 5,000 feet below the ocean’s surface to kill the well.”

I can imagine no reason why BP would not be calling on its colleagues in the oil industry for advice on handling the situation. If there are other oil companies that do this type of drilling in areas where regulations are much stricter, I'm sure that they would all have an interest, as well, in testing their techniques which may not have been tested before.

And Dave's description of an engineering solution sounds pretty interesting. Surgeons do have a lot in common with engineers! I'm guessing that Dave's solution, however, may become a bit more challenging to implement 5000 ft below the water surface ... but the engineering premise sounds reasonable.

dnf777
05-25-2010, 08:49 AM

How much you got to bet gman?

A foley catheter goes in your urinary bladder.
A Fogarty catheter is commonly used for thrombectomies, but is also used as a way to control a bleeding vessel. It is much smaller. For the sake of my patients, I hope I know the difference!

It was invented by a vascular surgeon, Thom Fogarty, M.D. 40 years ago. I understand he also patented the most common type of motocycle clutch and is a happily retired millionaire.

I think an industrial strength Fogarty is the way to go with this oil spill.

badbullgator
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Does anybody here think our president would ever go to another country and bitch about our criticizes that are in that country ILLIGALLY being questioned as to their citizenship? Well maybe obongo would. I can see it now “President Medvedev, I condemn you and your country for enforcing your immigration laws on our people who have come ILLEGALLY into your country”. What a freaking joke that would be. Would our president go to Canada or Australia and do this for our citizens that are their ILLEGALLY?

Nor_Cal_Angler
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM

I did advise him...as well as 63% of this nation....we told him DO NOT SOCIALIZE this country and spend us into more debt, we told him that Health Care was a bad idea and a horse better left dead, we told him DO NOT FOLLOW IN THE FOOT STEPS OF BUSH and spend another trillion dollars on a stimulous package...

we told him many things, but just like the narcisist (sp) he is he didnt listen to us. He did as HE wanted to...he did not SERVE AT THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

What good would my advisement be, when he DOESNT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE ANYWAYS.

NCA

ducknwork
05-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Well, not being a petroleum engineer, I'm not in a good position to have a position. In the larger sense, I suspect we will end up relying on foreign help from coutries who have for the past ten years turned out engineering students from their (and ours) colleges and universities, rather than let their kids get fat and stupid eating nachos and playing Grand Auto Theft III, and then of the ones who DO go to school, get degrees in business and law, but not the sciences or technologies.

If you twist my arm into a possible solution, I would have to say the only thing that makes common sense to me is a large-scale Fogarty catheter, like we use to control ruptured bleeding vessels in the body. They tried inserting a 4" pipe into the well and sucking along those lines, but WHAT a freakin' joke! I picture an open fire hydrant, and some kid with a straw in his mouth trying to contain the spewing water! Make a 24 or 30" pipe with an expandable gasket back 100 feet from the pipes end. Insert that several hundred feet into the well, monitor pressures as you slowly expand the cuff to form a seal, while applying suction to the pipe and converting the flow from AROUND THE PIPE, to THROUGH THE PIPE, then to a waiting surface vessel or collection station.

This "top kill" sounds like kids trying to cram mud-pies into a gushing fire hydrant to stop it! I hope I'm wrong, but that sounds like a whole lotta wishful thinking to me!

You either misunderstood, or danced around the question.

I asked you about your position on this govt interference you keep referring to us 'righties' being inconsistent with. You know, that whole double speak you keep talking about?

Do you:

A) Think the govt should be heavily involved in oil companies (or any company for that matter), so that it is not inconsistent for them to help out in the event of a catastrophe?

B) Think that the govt should allow companies to operate free of govt interference and then tell the company to screw off when something (such as an oil spill) occurs, so as not to be inconsistent?

C) Think that the govt should be heavily involved in companies and then not help with disasters that are related to said companies?

D) Think that the govt should allow companies to operate free of govt interference, yet still be available to help save our country's economy, natural resources, etc in the event of a disaster?

E) None of the above. (Please give your own opinion)

When referring to 'govt interference', I am not saying that there should be no regulations. I guess I am referring to whatever you keep intending to imply when you say that 'we' want the govt to 'keep their nose out' of companies (or whatever you said earlier).

Oh...Here it is...

What is laughable is that you equate the govt OWNING private (formerly) companies to helping clean up an oil spill that is damaging our wildlife, water, land, economy, etc. Surely you see the difference, right?

Apparently you think it is acceptable for the govt to just sit back and twiddle their thumbs rather than attempting to help stop this disaster? Is that a correct assumption? That is what your words would tend to make me believe.

Marvin S
05-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Dave's description of an engineering solution sounds pretty interesting. Surgeons do have a lot in common with engineers! I'm guessing that Dave's solution, however, may become a bit more challenging to implement 5000 ft below the water surface ... but the engineering premise sounds reasonable.

I would venture that there is little equipment used in the medical field that was not designed by engineers.

& I also find the solution proposed interesting & workable if there is on the ground equipment to implement same.

dnf777
05-25-2010, 10:03 AM
You either misunderstood, or danced around the question.

I asked you about your position on this govt interference you keep referring to us 'righties' being inconsistent with. You know, that whole double speak you keep talking about?

Do you:

A) Think the govt should be heavily involved in oil companies (or any company for that matter), so that it is not inconsistent for them to help out in the event of a catastrophe?

B) Think that the govt should allow companies to operate free of govt interference and then tell the company to screw off when something (such as an oil spill) occurs, so as not to be inconsistent?

C) Think that the govt should be heavily involved in companies and then not help with disasters that are related to said companies?

D) Think that the govt should allow companies to operate free of govt interference, yet still be available to help save our country's economy, natural resources, etc in the event of a disaster?

E) None of the above. (Please give your own opinion)

When referring to 'govt interference', I am not saying that there should be no regulations. I guess I am referring to whatever you keep intending to imply when you say that 'we' want the govt to 'keep their nose out' of companies (or whatever you said earlier).

Oh...Here it is...

What is laughable is that you equate the govt OWNING private (formerly) companies to helping clean up an oil spill that is damaging our wildlife, water, land, economy, etc. Surely you see the difference, right?

Apparently you think it is acceptable for the govt to just sit back and twiddle their thumbs rather than attempting to help stop this disaster? Is that a correct assumption? That is what your words would tend to make me believe.

Come on Duck! Wasn't YOU that just said things aren't black and white? Then you case the choices in jet black or chalk white! (sorry, if that wasn't you who made that comment)

The reasonable answer lies somewhere in between your examples....much of where we've operated as a successful, prosperous country for most of the past 50 years until the big rush of de-regulation! Food scares, (e coli), lead in toys again from China, banking disaster, mining accidents, oil spill of global proportions.....all resulting from lack of safety oversight and regulation. I don't want the gov't RUNNING businesses, just keep them honest, as much as possible. We saw HUGE advances in safety of air travel under the FAA, safety in mines increase tremendously under MSHA. All without gov't "takeovers". Just someone to look out for the worker and consumer. The big rash of deregulation, esp as far as safety goes, has resulted in a big backslide. Companies won't worry about safety until it affects their bottom line. I have no problem with limited gov't oversight and regulation. Anyone who's survived a car wreck because of seatbelts or airbags shouldn't either.

depittydawg
05-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I did advise him...as well as 63% of this nation....we told him DO NOT SOCIALIZE this country and spend us into more debt, we told him that Health Care was a bad idea and a horse better left dead, we told him DO NOT FOLLOW IN THE FOOT STEPS OF BUSH and spend another trillion dollars on a stimulous package...

we told him many things, but just like the narcisist (sp) he is he didnt listen to us. He did as HE wanted to...he did not SERVE AT THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

What good would my advisement be, when he DOESNT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE ANYWAYS.

NCA

Yea, well........... You have some good points!

Nor_Cal_Angler
05-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Yea, well........... You have some good points!

Thank you....

They may not be as long and eloquent as some of the "great thinkers" of this board (otherwise known to the majority as LONG WINDED HOT AIR) and they may not be as gramiticly correct as some of the "scolars" of this board....but they usually are well thunk out and spield as best as could be!!!!!! Just short and to the point in liemens terms!!!!!!;-);-)

NCA

PS....DNF a Fogar is an interesting idea....could work, but as mentioned 5k below and not tested for the application could pose a big risk....what happens when you expand that toooo far in the vessel....in the wrong area DOC says OHHHHH-OHHHH

dnf777
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
PS....DNF a Fogar is an interesting idea....could work, but as mentioned 5k below and not tested for the application could pose a big risk....what happens when you expand that toooo far in the vessel....in the wrong area DOC says OHHHHH-OHHHH

What IS tested and proven at 5000 feet under water??
I agree, it may be risky....but what could happen?....an uncontrolled leakage of oil? Like I said, I'm no petroleum engineer, but I haven't seen any of those brain-childs come up with anything better so far?!

sandyg
05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
It is obvious that you have put no further effort into understanding what happened leading up to the financial crisis than listen to Rush on the radio. You had your mind made up before Obama took the oath.

First of all, you don't know anything about me. I don't listen to talking heads, I do my own research of FACTS, not opinions.

Second of all, you're so indoctrinated to the liberal viewpoint that you can't see the forest for the trees. Even when confronted with the facts, you work on on spinning them to your narrow viewpoint.

Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of its stated intent.

ducknwork
05-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Come on Duck! Wasn't YOU that just said things aren't black and white? Then you case the choices in jet black or chalk white! (sorry, if that wasn't you who made that comment)

The reasonable answer lies somewhere in between your examples....much of where we've operated as a successful, prosperous country for most of the past 50 years until the big rush of de-regulation! Food scares, (e coli), lead in toys again from China, banking disaster, mining accidents, oil spill of global proportions.....all resulting from lack of safety oversight and regulation. I don't want the gov't RUNNING businesses, just keep them honest, as much as possible. We saw HUGE advances in safety of air travel under the FAA, safety in mines increase tremendously under MSHA. All without gov't "takeovers". Just someone to look out for the worker and consumer. The big rash of deregulation, esp as far as safety goes, has resulted in a big backslide. Companies won't worry about safety until it affects their bottom line. I have no problem with limited gov't oversight and regulation. Anyone who's survived a car wreck because of seatbelts or airbags shouldn't either.

I finally got out of you what I have been trying to get for the past 2 days! Whew!

So basically, there is not any 'double speak' that you have been accusing everyone of. Everyone that you accuse of it is against 'takeovers' and I haven't heard anyone say that safety regulations are something that we don't need from the govt. And everyone (it seems) seems to think that the govt should aid in the solution and cleanup. That's not overreaching govt involvement, that is the govt helping to protect what belongs to us!

So now this begs the obvious question...Are you attacking 'righties' just to be attacking them? Because there sure isn't any backing (admitted by you) for the numerous times you have made that accusation on this thread...

dnf777
05-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I finally got out of you what I have been trying to get for the past 2 days! Whew!

So basically, there is not any 'double speak' that you have been accusing everyone of. Everyone that you accuse of it is against 'takeovers' and I haven't heard anyone say that safety regulations are something that we don't need from the govt. And everyone (it seems) seems to think that the govt should aid in the solution and cleanup. That's not overreaching govt involvement, that is the govt helping to protect what belongs to us!

So now this begs the obvious question...Are you attacking 'righties' just to be attacking them? Because there sure isn't any backing (admitted by you) for the numerous times you have made that accusation on this thread...

Nice try, but no dice! People have been calling for the gov't to take over the effort, and saying he needs to do "something" which implies he's not doing anything. I believe it was Franco reporting on the excellent efforts of the USCG from when this story broke. Last time I checked, the USCG was a federal agency, unless we auctioned them off to pay for more tax cuts. ;-)

Other than provide financial support and rally other countries to our aid, the Whitehouse does not have a rouge oil well czar yet, that I know of.

One thing that I think would be helpful (other than my giant Fogarty idea) would be to call together a task force of industry experts from ALL major offshore extraction companies, provide them a nice room with chalkboards and snacks (chinese take out with the little cardboard boxes with wire handles, you know?) and have them work on a solution and LEARN from the efforts.

Also, I think if he chooses to go to California for a fund raiser, those funds should be diverted to gulf shore aid, not any campaign. Not good PR if he goes for political causes right now. Wasn't good for Bush, and won't be good for Obama.

Gerry Clinchy
05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
One thing that I think would be helpful (other than my giant Fogarty idea) would be to call together a task force of industry experts from ALL major offshore extraction companies, provide them a nice room with chalkboards and snacks (chinese take out with the little cardboard boxes with wire handles, you know?) and have them work on a solution and LEARN from the efforts.

Sounds like a good. common sense idea to me ... and a very appropriate role for govt ... get all the best minds and experts together to reach a solution.

Too bad that isn't the way we form our Congress, you know ... all the best minds :-)

sandyg
05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Following the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill, Members faced great pressure to overcome the disputes discussed above. The spill highlighted the inadequacies of the existing coverage and generated public outrage. The end result was the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (OPA)—the first comprehensive law to specifically address oil pollution to waterways and coastlines of the United States.

Oil Pollution Act of 1990
With the enactment of OPA on August 18, 1990, Congress consolidated the existing federal oil spill laws under one program. The 1990 law expanded the existing liability provisions within the CWA and created new free-standing requirements regarding oil spill prevention and response. Key OPA provisions are discussed below.

Spill Response Authority
When responding to a spill, many considered the lines of responsibility under the pre-OPA regime to be unclear, with too much reliance on spillers to perform proper cleanup. OPA strengthened and clarified the federal government’s role in oil spill response and cleanup. OPA Section 4201 amended Section 311(c) of the CWA to provide the President (delegated to the USCG or EPA) with three options: perform cleanup immediately (“federalize” the spill), monitor the response efforts of the spiller, or direct the spiller’s cleanup activities. The revised response authorities addressed concerns “that precious time would be lost while waiting for the spiller to marshall its cleanup forces.”

The federal government determines the level of cleanup required. Although the federal government must consult with designated trustees of natural resources and the governor of the state affected by the spill, the decision that cleanup is completed and can be ended rests with the federal government. States may require further work, but without the support of federal funding.

Nobama chose to monitor the response efforts of the spiller. This was to be expected, since this empty suit doesn't know what to do. How this knucklehead ever got elected is beyond me. Maybe the libtards on this forum can tell me.

gman0046
05-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Sandy good posts backed up by facts and not Liberal trivia. This site is full of Obongo worshipers.

ducknwork
05-25-2010, 04:31 PM
I have an idea better than yours, Dave...;)

Let's stick Rosie O'Donnell in the hole.

Two birds, one stone regards,

huntinman
05-25-2010, 04:39 PM
I have an idea better than yours, Dave...;)

Let's stick Rosie O'Donnell in the hole.

Two birds, one stone regards,

Too much flotation to get that deep...

depittydawg
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Sandy good posts backed up by facts and not Liberal trivia. This site is full of Obongo worshipers.

What is an "Obongo worshiper"? Let me guess. Anyone who disagrees with your world view? Yep, that must be it.

gman0046
05-25-2010, 04:59 PM
depittydawg, too bad you can't think for yourself. Please tell us just what Obama and his Liberal Administration has accomplished in the last year and a half. Where are the jobs he's promised? 10% unemployment the highest since the Great Depression.

depittydawg
05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
depittydawg, too bad you can't think for yourself. Please tell us just what Obama and his Liberal Administration has accomplished in the last year and a half. Where are the jobs he's promised? 10% unemployment the highest since the Great Depression.

You didn't answer my question. What is an "Obongo Worshiper". From your posts it would appear that an "Obongo Worshiper" is anyone who disagrees with your extremely narrow world view. If I'm wrong then lets hear the definition of the phrase you coined here.
BTW, if you've read my posts, you would see that I am very critical of this administration and congressional leadership on both aisles. Obama's accomplishments may be insignificant; but I have no doubt we are much better off today than we would have been if McCain and his babe were in the White House.

Franco
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
BTW, if you've read my posts, you would see that I am very critical of this administration and congressional leadership on both aisles. Obama's accomplishments may be insignificant; but I have no doubt we are much better off today than we would have been if McCain and his babe were in the White House.

Understand that if you are not a part of the radical right around here, you get called a liberal.;-)

Some should read what the founder of the Conservative movement, Wm F Buckley Jr. wrote to understand that they are not Conservatives.

depittydawg
05-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Understand that if you are not a part of the radical right around here, you get called a liberal.;-)

Some should read what the founder of the Conservative movement, Wm F Buckley Jr. wrote to understand that they are not Conservatives.

You just hit something right on the nose here. Unfortunately the Republican Party, through all its rant and rhetoric, is not conservative at all in its actions anymore. Since the early 20th century it has become the political arm of Wall Street. By the same token, the democratic party lost its libertarian roots somewhere in the middle of the 20th century. Not sure what it represents anymore but it isn't classical liberalism.

Franco
05-25-2010, 05:56 PM
You just hit something right on the nose here. Unfortunately the Republican Party, through all its rant and rhetoric, is not conservative at all in its actions anymore. Since the early 20th century it has become the political arm of Wall Street. By the same token, the democratic party lost its libertarian roots somewhere in the middle of the 20th century. Not sure what it represents anymore but it isn't classical liberalism.

I consider both parties to be Liberal. Liberal in different directions.;-)

Buzz
05-25-2010, 06:23 PM

How about Goldwater.

I have 4 books in the cue right now, two of them are:

Conscience of a Conservative - Goldwater
Pure Goldwater - Goldwater, Dean

Here is a review of "Pure Goldwater" on Amazon.

Let me state from the get go that I am a Senator Goldwater and President Reagan style Republican.

What I think this books value is in 2008 is how it sheds alot of light on Senator Hillary Clinton who was a Goldwater girl as well as Senator John McCain who in his pre 2008 years was more Goldwater minded than most people know. But he has gone off course so badly and isnt the same open honest straight talking express man he once was.

Also of interest to me was how Libertarian minded Senator Goldwater was and not the conservative Republican of recent years which is right wing Christian close minded mode. I say this as a Christian who is Goldwater mode.

This is a book that anyone interested in sanity, smaller government, and Constitutional law should read. Sadly so many people probably see Goldwater as some right wing zealot. Thats President G. W. Bush, not Senator Goldwater.

Unfortunately I have about 1400 pages to get through before I get started on these.

Franco
05-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Biggest mistake the USA voting public ever made was electing LBJ over Barry Goldwater.

Buckley supported Goldwater as well as Raegan in his early presidential years.

Buckly biggest fault was his Christiananity. Other than that, he stood for small government, strong military, free enterprise, and a balanced budget. He didn't view governemnt as the answer to everything and was against most of our foreign intervention. Intervention that has us finacially broke and help to divide our nation.

Marvin S
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
How about Goldwater.

I have 4 books in the queue right now, two of them are: fixed it for you ;-).

Conscience of a Conservative - Goldwater
Pure Goldwater - Goldwater, Dean

When you finish with Conscience of a Conservative post a book review. Would probably make an interesting topic. I read it in 1964, his philosophy made a lot of sense at the time, & it works quite well in making political decisions.

Biggest mistake the USA voting public ever made was electing LBJ over Barry Goldwater.

Buckly biggest fault was his Christiananity. Other than that, he stood for small government, strong military, free enterprise, and a balanced budget. He didn't view governemnt as the answer to everything and was against most of our foreign intervention. Intervention that has us finacially broke and help to divide our nation.

Couldn't agree with you more, except to say the world would be a different place had AUH2O been elected.

As for someone being a Christian, nothing wrong with that, but show how you are one by deed rather than word :). & he did start one of the greatest magazines to ever grace any newstand :cool:.

Gerry Clinchy
05-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Heard on the radio earlier that the POTUS is planning to visit LA on Friday.

dnf777
05-25-2010, 09:39 PM

Nice stirring of the pot! That's funny.