PDA

View Full Version : More of the same from our man-child President!

huntinman
05-25-2010, 11:07 AM
If it's an American tradition, this petulant president will go out of his way to ignore or destroy it... Maybe at some point he could actually start doing his job.

Two Wars and Obama Chooses Chicago Over Arlington for Memorial Day
By Lonely Conservative .

He’s Commander in Chief. You’d think President Obama would go to Arlington National Cemetery to observe Memorial Day. Or he could set his priorities and head down to the Gulf Coast to get a first hand look at the damage the oil spill is causing. But no, Mr. Obama has decided to take his family home to Chicago for a weekend of R and R.

Chicago Sun Times: I’m told the Obama family is planning a casual weekend with friends. President Obama will throw in some work; on Monday, Obama will deliver a Memorial Day address at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, near Joliet, about 50 miles south of Chicago.

He’s sending Joe Biden to Arlington in his place. And when the Obama’s return from Chicago they’ll honor Paul McCartney with a concert at the White House.

Nothing like living it up while our troops are in harm’s way, the economy burns, and the Gulf Coast is inundated with oil.

Roger Perry
05-25-2010, 11:50 AM
If it's an American tradition, this petulant president will go out of his way to ignore or destroy it... Maybe at some point he could actually start doing his job.

By Lonely Conservative .

He’s Commander in Chief. You’d think President Obama would go to Arlington National Cemetery to observe Memorial Day. Or he could set his priorities and head down to the Gulf Coast to get a first hand look at the damage the oil spill is causing. But no, Mr. Obama has decided to take his family home to Chicago for a weekend of R and R.

Chicago Sun Times: I’m told the Obama family is planning a casual weekend with friends. President Obama will throw in some work; on Monday, Obama will deliver a Memorial Day address at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, near Joliet, about 50 miles south of Chicago.

He’s sending Joe Biden to Arlington in his place. And when the Obama’s return from Chicago they’ll honor Paul McCartney with a concert at the White House.

Nothing like living it up while our troops are in harm’s way, the economy burns, and the Gulf Coast is inundated with oil.

President Obama has taken way fewer "vacation" days than his predicesor.

President Obama has spent all or part of 26 days "on vacation" during his first year as president, according to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller.
Knoller, who has covered every president (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/10/09/broadcasts/main524942.shtml) since Gerald Ford and is known for keeping detailed records (http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/mark_knoller_knows.php) on presidential travel, counts the following (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/24/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6019535.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody) among President Obama’s "vacations" in 2009:

President George W. Bush spent even more time away from the presidential mansion in the nation’s capital than Reagan. Of the 77 total "vacation" trips the former president made to his Texas ranch while in office, nine of them — all or part of 69 days (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/24/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6019535.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody) — came during his first year as president in 2001, according to Knoller

Buzz
05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
But Bush went down and did manly stuff in a manly state like Texas, like ride around in a pick-up truck, clear brush, and ride his mountain bike. :rolleyes:

K G
05-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Ahhh....using Bush 43 as the measuring stick again. Typical...:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter what BHO does or doesn't do between now and Nov. '12....he'll be looking for a new job either way.

Book it regards,

k g

ducknwork
05-25-2010, 01:13 PM

President Obama has spent all or part of 26 days "on vacation" during his first year as president, according to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller.
Knoller, who has covered every president (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/10/09/broadcasts/main524942.shtml) since Gerald Ford and is known for keeping detailed records (http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/mark_knoller_knows.php) on presidential travel, counts the following (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/24/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6019535.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody) among President Obama’s "vacations" in 2009:

President George W. Bush spent even more time away from the presidential mansion in the nation’s capital than Reagan. Of the 77 total "vacation" trips the former president made to his Texas ranch while in office, nine of them — all or part of 69 days (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/24/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6019535.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody) — came during his first year as president in 2001, according to Knoller

:rolleyes:

So a round of golf doesn't count as a partial day of vacation? I need to let my boss know that so I can go play without burning up my V days...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/7607947/Barack-Obama-plays-golf-eight-more-times-than-George-W-Bush.html

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/golf/04/20/golf.obama.bush/index.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/18/obama-skips-polish-funeral-heads-to-golf-course/

Maybe duck hunting doesn't count as vacation time either. I'll have to run that one by my boss in about 6 months...;)

Bayou Magic
05-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Predictable and consistent!

The post topic is about the Commander in Chief paying tribute (or not) to our veterans of yesterday and today.

Frank Price

Roger Perry
05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Ahhh....using Bush 43 as the measuring stick again. Typical...:rolleyes:

Doesn't matter what BHO does or doesn't do between now and Nov. '12....he'll be looking for a new job either way.

Book it regards,

k g

I guess I could add a few more Presidents as measuring sticks as well not to just pick on ole 43.

President Reagan, in 1981, spent all or part of 42 days (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/24/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6019535.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody) away from the White House "on vacation" at his home in Santa Barbara, Calif, according to Knoller.

Bush’s father, President George H.W. Bush, spent less time "on vacation" during his first year than his son, but spent more days than President Obama. According to travel records provided to FactCheck.org by the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, the former president took six trips — spanning all or part of 40 days — to the Bush family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 1989.

But at least two recent presidents — by Knoller’s count — took less "vacation" time during their first year than President Obama — Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.
According to Knoller, Carter spent just 19 days (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/24/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry6019535.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody) "on vacation" in 1977.

But Knoller says Clinton only took 21 "vacation" days during his first year.

Roger Perry
05-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Predictable and consistent!

The post topic is about the Commander in Chief paying tribute (or not) to our veterans of yesterday and today.

Frank Price

Actually it was about where President Obama was taking his family for a few days of R&R.

To quote Huntinman "Or he could set his priorities and head down to the Gulf Coast to get a first hand look at the damage the oil spill is causing. But no, Mr. Obama has decided to take his family home to Chicago for a weekend of R and R."

Buzz
05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
So a round of golf doesn't count as a partial day of vacation? I need to let my boss know that so I can go play without burning up my V days...

Hope you don't want to charge a vacation day for a weekend round... From your article:

In fact, president Obama played a round as recently as last Sunday, when his flight to Poland for the funeral of president Lech Kaczynski was cancelled due to the volcanic ash cloud over Europe.

Bayou Magic
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Actually it was about where President Obama was taking his family for a few days of R&R.

To quote Huntinman "Or he could set his priorities and head down to the Gulf Coast to get a first hand look at the damage the oil spill is causing. But no, Mr. Obama has decided to take his family home to Chicago for a weekend of R and R."

IMO, wrong again. Maybe Bill can clear this up for us because one of us is missing the point entirely.

fp

WaterDogRem
05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
(CNN) Bush was known for his love of golf, but figures released by Mark Knoller of CBS Radio, the unofficial White House statistician, have revealed that Obama has played golf 32 times during his presidency -- eight times more than his predecessor did during his entire tenure at the White House.

Damn, wish I could get 32 rounds of golf in one year+, but dang that job and those responsibilities I have.

huntinman
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM

That was not my quote, that was part of the article I quoted. My point is that for Memorial Day, Obama did not see fit to drag his sorry ass out to Arlington and stand at attention for a few minutes like any other respectable president would do. He could care less about our military and proves it on a fairly regular basis.

Buzz
05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Forget about the fact that Reagan had Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Thayer represent him at Arlington in 1983, or that H. W. Bush had Quayle represent him at Arlington in 1992.

The right is trying to portray this as an unprecedented disrespect shown by Obama to the military. Just one more example of Republicans throwing as much $h!t up against the wall to see what sticks.

I guess the veterans buried at at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery near Chicago don't deserve a visit and show of respect from the president on memorial day...

huntinman
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Forget about the fact that Reagan had Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Thayer represent him at Arlington in 1983, or that H. W. Bush had Quayle represent him at Arlington in 1992.

The right is trying to portray this as an unprecedented disrespect shown by Obama to the military. Just one more example of Republicans throwing as much $h!t up against the wall to see what sticks.

I guess the veterans buried at at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery near Chicago don't deserve a visit and show of respect from the president on memorial day...

Since you seem to have done your research, what were Reagan and Bush 41 doing those days they had fill-ins? Doesn't really matter to me though...neither of those presidents ever showed a propensity to dislike or be ashamed of the country they led like Obama does often.

road kill
05-25-2010, 03:50 PM
But Bush went down and did manly stuff in a manly state like Texas, like ride around in a pick-up truck, clear brush, and ride his mountain bike. :rolleyes:
....and visit Arlington on Memorial Day!:D

rk

Goose
05-25-2010, 03:55 PM

By Lonely Conservative .

Obama has no business giving speeches on Memorial Day at Arlington although I'm not sure who would be considered the bigger insult...the President or Captain Draft-Dodger himself, Joe Biden who probably had more deferments than Dick Cheney and we all know how the leftists love to hate Cheney.

Maybe they should have sent Richard Blumenthal. He served in Vietnam!

We live in Cuba now.

dnf777
05-25-2010, 03:56 PM
...neither of those presidents ever showed a propensity to dislike or be ashamed of the country they led like Obama does often.

Where does having US troops sorting through junk piles in Iraq to piece together body armor fit in you idea of showing respect for troops? How about churches having raffles and bake sales to buy armor or people's sons who were serving without? How 'bout the famous skit of Bush looking under sofa cushions for WMDs, joking that he can't find them anywhere, as our sons and daughters were in harms way? How bout Rummie's condascending reply about "sometimes you can't go to war with the army you want, you have to go with what you got" in response to poor supplies reaching our troops.

That really chapped my a$$, as it should of anyone who cares about the troops. We can cut $2trillion in tax cuts for the rich, but can't outfit our troops with proper equipment, then make snide remarks to family members about it???? Talk about disgust!

huntinman
05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Where does having US troops sorting through junk piles in Iraq to piece together body armor fit in you idea of showing respect for troops? How about churches having raffles and bake sales to buy armor or people's sons who were serving without? How 'bout the famous skit of Bush looking under sofa cushions for WMDs, joking that he can't find them anywhere, as our sons and daughters were in harms way? How bout Rummie's condascending reply about "sometimes you can't go to war with the army you want, you have to go with what you got" in response to poor supplies reaching our troops.

That really chapped my a$$, as it should of anyone who cares about the troops. We can cut $2trillion in tax cuts for the rich, but can't outfit our troops with proper equipment, then make snide remarks to family members about it???? Talk about disgust!

Struck a nerve, huh? Maybe we should elect more congressmen and senators who will support our troops with their votes and not just give lip service to it.

Buzz
05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
....and visit Arlington on Memorial Day!:D

rk

1983: Reagan attended summit meeting; Defense Department official Thayer laid wreath at Arlington. Deputy Secretary of Defense W. Paul Thayer laid a wreath at Arlington Cemetery during the Memorial Day ceremony in 1983, according to a May 31, 1983, Washington Post article (accessed via Nexis). The AP reported that President Reagan attended a "summit meeting in Williamsburg, Va., with leaders of the industrialized democracies."

1992: George H.W. Bush allowed VP Quayle to lay wreath. In 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day, according to a May 26, 1992, Boston Globe article (accessed via the Nexis database). The Globe reported that President George H.W. Bush attended a wreath-laying ceremony and made brief remarks at an American Legion hall in Kennebunkport, Maine, where he also played a round of golf.

Veterans Day 2007: Cheney attends ceremony to pay tribute at Arlington as Bush remained in Texas. On November 11, 1007, the AP reported that "President Bush honored U.S. troops past and present at a tearful ceremony Sunday for four Texans who died there." The AP further reported that "Vice President Dick Cheney went to Arlington to pay tribute to Iraq veterans."

Oh the horror... Obama going to a National Cemetery near Chicago is UNPRECEDENTED DISRESPECT TO THE TROOPS I TELL YA!

gman0046
05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey guy's when talking about Obongo you have to realize he is not an American he's a Kenyan who was raised in Indonesia where he attended Muslim schools. He's never served in the U.S. Armed Forces. Why would anyone expect him to visit Arlington National Cemetery? Just his presence at Arlington would be a disgrace to those interned there. The good news is, there are many Americans fed up with Obongo and his band of Douche Bags and looking to oust there sorry butts.

K G
05-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Anyone who leans from moderate to conservative need not say one more negative thing about BHO during his Presidency. He's shown a propensity for doing/saying things (or NOT doing things) that continue to put him in jeopardy as a second term CIC.

Just let him continue to destroy himself...we'll just sit by and watch as he makes it easier for more independent and republican candidates to get elected. By 2012, the Dems will have lost both majorities AND the Presidency...and in only four years! :D Now THAT is change we can believe in! ;-)

Ti-i-i-i-i-ime is on our side regards,

k g

road kill
05-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Oh the horror... Obama going to a National Cemetery near Chicago is UNPRECEDENTED DISRESPECT TO THE TROOPS I TELL YA!
Your right on one aspect, there is a lot more crap he is doing/not doing that scares me worse than this.
No, y'all bow down to him!!

And again, the GOLD standard is used!!:D

stan b

Franco
05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Y'all stop raggin' on Osama, oops I mean Obama!

He'll be working this Friday as he is coming to the gulf coast and will raise his hands into the air, chant and make the oil leak stop.

That's if the top shot doesn't do the job on Wednesday! ;-)

depittydawg
05-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Y'all stop raggin' on Osama, oops I mean Obama!

He'll be working this Friday as he is coming to the gulf coast and will raise his hands into the air, chant and make the oil leak stop.

That's if the top shot doesn't do the job on Wednesday! ;-)

Whether it stops leaking or not, I'm sure he will continue to be battered around like a baseball in the media for allowing the platform to sink... I can see why most Presidents eventually become isolated from the rest of the country. Can't imagine living under the kind of scrutiny these guys have to put up with. There was a time when campaigns ended every four years and the country settled in to give the new guy a chance. Those days ended in 1992 and it seems to get worse every year. Election cycles never end. I suppose the piss poor examples of leaders we've endured for the last 30 years might have something to do with that. Not very healthy for our Republic.

huntinman
05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Whether it stops leaking or not, I'm sure he will continue to be battered around like a baseball in the media for allowing the platform to sink... I can see why most Presidents eventually become isolated from the rest of the country. Can't imagine living under the kind of scrutiny these guys have to put up with. There was a time when campaigns ended every four years and the country settled in to give the new guy a chance. Those days ended in 1992 and it seems to get worse every year. Election cycles never end. I suppose the piss poor examples of leaders we've endured for the last 30 years might have something to do with that. Not very healthy for our Republic.

Wow... I pretty much agree with you on this one. The only thing I might differ with you on is the Presidents of the last 30 years probably aren't any better or worse than all the rest of them. We just know a lot more about them with the 24 hours news, internet etc...

Roger Perry
05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
That was not my quote, that was part of the article I quoted. My point is that for Memorial Day, Obama did not see fit to drag his sorry ass out to Arlington and stand at attention for a few minutes like any other respectable president would do. He could care less about our military and proves it on a fairly regular basis.

If you are speaking about Bush 43 as a "respectiful President" attending ceremonies at Arlington, he had to go, he put over 4,000 of our military there.

dixidawg
05-27-2010, 10:46 AM
And NONE of the ones that Obama sent are in Arlington?

YardleyLabs
05-27-2010, 11:08 AM
"Here on this hallowed ground and in ceremonies across the nation, we choose this day to solemnly honor those costly sacrifices - sacrifices that were made on the fields of Gettysburg, the beaches of Normandy, the deserts of Iraq, and so many other distant lands. It makes our hearts heavy; our heads bow in respect. But amid the quiet of this spring day in Elwood, we also hear life. And as we are called by the memories of those who found the courage to lay down a life so that others may live, we thank God for blessing us with the privilege of knowing such heroic sons and daughters of America."

Obama, Memorial Day, 2005, Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery

Is the land in Ellwood, IL somehow less hallowed than in Arlington? Are the heroes that lie there less heroic? Maybe it is time for Presidents to understand that our heroes lie in graves all over the country, not just in Washington DC.

M&K's Retrievers
05-27-2010, 11:15 AM
He snubs our Allies. It's only natural that he snubs Arlington Cemetery. He can't help himself. Obama has a lot of class... unfortunately it's all low.

K G
05-28-2010, 12:22 PM
If you are speaking about Bush 43 as a "respectiful President" attending ceremonies at Arlington, he had to go, he put over 4,000 of our military there.

Have you been keeping the same score for BHO since 1/20/08, Roger?

Fair play regards,

k g

huntinman
05-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Fair play regards,

k g

You know the libs don't give a damn how many of our troops get killed now that we have a lib president. I don't think I have heard a number reported since Obama got elected. Did hear one number for Afganistan, not for Iraq. The only reason it was a big deal in the first place was so they could hit President Bush over the head with it.

YardleyLabs
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
You know the libs don't give a damn how many of our troops get killed now that we have a lib president. I don't think I have heard a number reported since Obama got elected. Did hear one number for Afganistan, not for Iraq. The only reason it was a big deal in the first place was so they could hit President Bush over the head with it.
You can't be serious. The number is reported every single month and has been a big deal since casualties are running at record levels as a result of the increased concentration of forces and the build up in Kandahar.

From http://www.icasualties.org/oef/

Coalition Military Fatalities By Year
Year US UK Other Total
2001 12 0 0 12
2002 49 3 17 69
2003 48 0 9 57
2004 52 1 7 60
2005 99 1 31 131
2006 98 39 54 191
2007 117 42 73 232
2008 155 51 89 295
2009 316 108 96 520
2010 140 43 38 221
Total 1086 288 414 1788

huntinman
05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
You can't be serious. The number is reported every single month and has been a big deal since casualties are running at record levels as a result of the increased concentration of forces and the build up in Kandahar.

From http://www.icasualties.org/oef/

Coalition Military Fatalities By Year
Year US UK Other Total
2001 12 0 0 12
2002 49 3 17 69
2003 48 0 9 57
2004 52 1 7 60
2005 99 1 31 131
2006 98 39 54 191
2007 117 42 73 232
2008 155 51 89 295
2009 316 108 96 520
2010 140 43 38 221
Total 1086 288 414 1788

It may be reported on your website... You do not hear the MSM bring it up. I am deadly serious. I am glad there is a lib out there that has the numbers though...

YardleyLabs
05-28-2010, 02:15 PM
It may be reported on your website... You do not hear the MSM bring it up. I am deadly serious. I am glad there is a lib out there that has the numbers though...
They have been reporting casualties regularly and loudly. Most major publications are carrying an AP story today headlined:
US toll reaches 1,000 deaths in Afghanistan war

See the following for recent stories from a few MSM outlets. Two days ago, CBS ran a 20 minute segment on Afghanistan that included repeated references to te numbers of US casualties.

http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/28/home-and-away-the-fallen-in-afghanistan/?iref=allsearch

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/fallen/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37393743/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-military-casualties-afghanistan-pakistan-uzbekistan-exceed-1000/story?id=10698927

Roger Perry
05-30-2010, 07:43 AM

Fair play regards,

k g

Wouldn't that be 1/20/09?

dnf777
05-30-2010, 07:52 AM

After Jeffs slam-dunk reply, I think they're a little dazed and confused....or is that shock and awed? ;-)

Foghorn Leghorn
05-30-2010, 08:23 AM
WHICH president in the LAST 30 years is the ONLY one to have gone to ARLINGTON National Cemetary all 8 years of his Presidency??

By Lonely Conservative .

K G
05-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Yes, it would, Roger....now, answer the question since you cared enough to correct it...:rolleyes:

k g

Foghorn Leghorn
05-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Hello, I am new to the site, glad to be here.

depittydawg
05-30-2010, 10:24 AM

Well since Bush was the "commander guy" who made all the bad decisions and got us into the War, he deserved credit for the fallout. Now Obama is making all the bad decisions and getting us deeper into the mire. He should get even more blame in my book cause he is now doing the opposite of what he promised.

kindakinky
06-01-2010, 02:15 AM
But ask yourself where your congressmen/women are? Were they at Arlington? Or at some other cemetery honoring the war dead? It is your senators and representatives who have been/or will be in office for decades and decades.

This idiotic focus on the president is just for folks who don't have the fortitude or the savvy to dig deeper. Presidents come and go like Kleenex. Some congressmen last for eons.

Anyone who gives it up for the Republicans or Democrats is just buying into the program. Abraham Lincoln (the slave emancipator) was a Republican. Harry Truman (the BIG BOMB dropper) was a Democrat.

Ask where your Congress person was on Memorial Day.

kindakinky
06-01-2010, 02:25 AM
Oh, and for those people criticizing the mainstream press for perceived failures to recognize war dead:

One of my preferred newspapers, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, devoted a front page story and their ENTIRE op-ed page to the Wisconsin soldiers killed in Afghanistan and Iraq in 2009.

Not enough, you say? Well, when was the last time you sent the equivalent of one field trial entry fee to a veteran's organization? Or spent a weekend in a veterans' hospital or VFW or National Guard Armory volunteering?

Were YOU trying to get your community to host a parade or a recognition of veterans this Memorial Day? Where were you on Memorial Day? Were YOU at a cemetery, or a VFW, or a veterans' hospital, or organizing a tribute to veterans?

ducknwork
06-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Hello, I am new to the site, glad to be here.

Are you related to Susie Q?

YardleyLabs
06-01-2010, 08:13 AM
WHICH president in the LAST 30 years is the ONLY one to have gone to ARLINGTON National Cemetary all 8 years of his Presidency??
Since it seems no one is choosing to answer your question, Bill Clinton was th eonly President who went to Arlington every year during his term. By contrast George H. W. Bush never went at all. George W. Bush was cited by the Washington Post for only beginning to go to Arlington from 2003, following the invasion of Iraq, but this was an erroneous report. GWB spoke at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington in 2001 as well. In 2002, he spoke in Normandy, France, to commemorate the invasion of Europe. Reagan missed speaking at Arlington for two years our of eight: once he spoke at West point, and another year he spent on vacation in the "Western" White House. Obama's speech at Elwood was canceled when a lightening storm struck the area and attendees were asked to return to their cars to avoid an accident. Following that, he went to a veterans' home but was delayed by a flat tire. Conservative commentators have chosen to interpret these events in almost biblical terms, a judgment on his failure to go to Arlington.