PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Beck and Goldline

Nate_C
05-26-2010, 11:00 PM
looks like reaaly has something to anwser. Doesn't he have a responsiblity to his listeners. Kind of calls into question his crediblity. I read the whoe report and it really looks unfair. And this BBB thing is a joke, everyone knows that their ratings are suspect and slow to catch on to scams. have to remember the BBB make money from companys, inwhich they rate, paying "dues"

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201005250065

Hew
05-27-2010, 06:37 AM
It's really touching how much compassion and concern the liberals have for all of the teabaggers supposedly being duped by Beck and Goldline.

Can I get an eyeroll?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Amen.

Buzz
05-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Yes, it's such a great way to buy gold, gold coins. WTF?

Why not just buy into GLD through an online broker like TDAmeritrade?

http://www.google.com/finance?q=gld

Or how about some gold mining companies?

Only a crook would whip up people's fear about the dollar, then recommend an investment that is sure to lose them money, and then defend it.

Buzz
05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
What is a bigger deal? Glenn Beck promoting crap like this that people are SURE to lose lots of money on, or the White House trying to talk Sestak into staying in the House?

Matt McKenzie
05-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Those who make their investment decisions based on the opinion of a radio entertainer are destined to fail, regardless of who they listen to.
On the other hand, when gold was at $700, I thought that only an idiot would buy at that level and anyone who did was sure to lose money. Turns out I was wrong. If I had bought then, I would be significantly up right now. But that just proves that gold is not a short- or medium-term investment, but simply a hedge or a way to diversify in some specific circumstances.
Is Glenn Beck evil because he promotes one of these companies? I don't know. Is Reader's Digest evil because they advertise cheap Chinese shoes and "Amish" fireplaces?

Buzz
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Those who make their investment decisions based on the opinion of a radio entertainer are destined to fail, regardless of who they listen to.
On the other hand, when gold was at $700, I thought that only an idiot would buy at that level and anyone who did was sure to lose money. Turns out I was wrong. If I had bought then, I would be significantly up right now. But that just proves that gold is not a short- or medium-term investment, but simply a hedge or a way to diversify in some specific circumstances.
Is Glenn Beck evil because he promotes one of these companies? I don't know. Is Reader's Digest evil because they advertise cheap Chinese shoes and "Amish" fireplaces?

It's not his promotion of gold that bothers me, it's that he promotes buying newly minted gold coins. I cannot think of a dumber way to invest in gold. Technically, that is really investing in collectables. Far better to buy a gold ETF. Gold did do well, but there were some outstanding (better) opportunities out there in the equity market. I thought gold was expensive at less than $700, so I was right there with you on that.

JDogger
05-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Gold may just be another "bubble" ...eh?

Nothing is sure...to be sure...!

Is gold trully a precious metal, worthy of long-term investment, or maybe just another commodity that when vast reserves are released on to the the market we see a fall in value?

JD

Nate_C
05-28-2010, 10:39 PM
It isn't that he simplly has them as a advertiser. He is their spokesman. Numerous times he has out right vouched for them. In addition he mixes them in with his messages. Absolutely this calls into question his character. When you actively promote something that either you know is a scam or don't even take the time to investigate something to make sure the people out there that listen to you and trust you don't get burned, you have questionable character.

Also it is not only that they are investing in gold at it's very peak, they are buying it in coin which tends to be over priced. Not only are they buying it in coin but they are over paying for them against market price. May of these people have bought gold at 70% above the troy ounce market rate. It will be unlikely that any of these people will see a profit for the next ten years at least.

Matt McKenzie
05-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Back to my point that Glenn Beck is a radio and television entertainer, not a financial advisor. Like all radio and TV entertainers, he's a shill for advertisers. Lots of sports figures promote UnderArmour products, which have to be the most over-priced products out there. But if I spend my money on it, it's my fault, not Ray Lewis'. Same goes for Payton Manning and all the products he pushes, Dennis Hopper and whatever financial company he promotes, etc. You can't blame advertising for failure to make educated decisions with your money. One man's opinion.

Hew
05-31-2010, 01:36 PM
It's not his promotion of gold that bothers me, it's that he promotes buying newly minted gold coins. I cannot think of a dumber way to invest in gold. Technically, that is really investing in collectables. Far better to buy a gold ETF.
Goldline sells a variety of products. Becks says he buys coins. The reason he says he buys coins is because he wants something tangible that can be sold/bartered should the economy collapse. How many bushels of corn do you think the farmer down the street will sell you in exchange for a gold ETF certificate if the world's economy has totally collapsed? I'm guessing none. Even before Weiner's bald-faced attempt to intimidate Beck/Goldline, Beck was saying that he doesn't consider his purchase of gold to be a path to wealth accumulation or an investment, per se, but as a hedge against the possiblity that conventional means to purchase essential items evaporates. His pitches for Goldline are always peppered with caveats that this is what is right for HIS family, but that it might not be right for YOURS. Lastly, it's hard to believe a company supposedly so shady as Goldline could get an A+ BBB rating (Nate's absurd assertion that a 100+ year old and well-respected organization like the BBB is crooked aside :rolleyes:).

But really, Buzz, what's so disheartening is that if this were a GOP congressman in a GOP-controlled congress that was going after one of Keith Olberman or MSNBC's sponsors (like the debt relief crooks, diet scams, acai berry sellers, etc.) you'd be f'ing apoplectic...and rightfully so. But it's Glenn Beck who a government official is trying to intimidate; not Olberman, so apparently that makes it A-OK with you. Perhaps you should change your signature line quotes (or are you aiming for irony?).

BonMallari
05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Most of you dont have a problem with Goldline...its Glenn Beck that you dislike..Goldline has other endorsers like Mike Huckabee, Fred Thompson, Laura Ingraham, Mark Levin,Monica Crowley, and Dennis Miller..I dont see you calling them out...If Glenn Beck were endorsing Tri Tronics E Collars, some of you would be ripping them and saying Dogtra is better

Just saying :rolleyes:

pat addis
05-31-2010, 02:41 PM
boy i'm glad he didn't tell people to buy houses after all barney frank said fanny mae and freddie mack were solid,if not they might have caused the housing bubble to fail

badbullgator
05-31-2010, 02:42 PM
You kind of have that right. I am not a big Beck fan because of the way he fuels fear with his listeners. I agree with a lot of what he says (I may hear 15 minutes a week) but I hate the way he sells seeds, gold, food insurence......all based of fears he builds on his show(s). Others do it too but he seems to have a sleazy "700 Club" preacher style of doing it that just makes me think he is a dirtbag.

dnf777
05-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Well, Mr. Beck certainly showed his colors by mocking the president's 11 year old daughter....on and on and on.... then issuing an apology basically blaming Obama for his own behavior!?

I love the part where a man who just spent 5 minutes mocking an 11 year old, then questions HER level of education??

What a freakin' moron. Hopefully this is the end of him contaminating the airwaves with is hatred and ignorance.

sandyg
05-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Glen Beck is a tool, along with Sean Vanity, Rush, Mark Levin, and that tchotchke selling fool, Bill O'Reilly.

They all are experts at taking five minutes worth of news and yammering on about their sanctimonious views and opinions for an hour.

For those of you that haven't read any of my previous posts, let me assure you that I am to the right of all of the above mentioned fools.

Hew
06-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Well, Mr. Beck certainly showed his colors by mocking the president's 11 year old daughter....on and on and on.... then issuing an apology basically blaming Obama for his own behavior!?

I love the part where a man who just spent 5 minutes mocking an 11 year old, then questions HER level of education??

What a freakin' moron. Hopefully this is the end of him contaminating the airwaves with is hatred and ignorance.
Oh, the drama. You've given yourself the vapors, dahling. :rolleyes:

Becl should have been mocking Obama (instead of the daughter) for some contrived story involving his daughter that's as laughably unbelieveable as the whopper he told about not knowing the circumstances surrounding MMS head Birnbaum's resignation.

Matt McKenzie
06-01-2010, 03:30 AM
More of that "Glenn Beck hate speech" nonsense. As always, I'm waiting for examples of his "hate". If you say it often enough, it almost sounds like the truth, huh?

I'm not a big Beck fan, but I have listened to him enough to know that although he might be classified as alarmist or crazy, I have never heard him say anything remotely hateful. But that's the standard mantra from the left - anyone on right-wing radio is a hater. No need to listen to what they say. Just lump Hannity, Limbaugh, Savage, Beck and O'Rielly into one group even though the only two that are very close philosophically are Limbaugh and Hannity.

Buzz
06-01-2010, 07:42 AM
he might be classified as alarmist or crazy, I have never heard him say anything remotely hateful.

Ok, I'll go with that.;-)

Blackstone
06-01-2010, 11:00 AM
More of that "Glenn Beck hate speech" nonsense. As always, I'm waiting for examples of his "hate". If you say it often enough, it almost sounds like the truth, huh?

I'm not a big Beck fan, but I have listened to him enough to know that although he might be classified as alarmist or crazy, I have never heard him say anything remotely hateful. But that's the standard mantra from the left - anyone on right-wing radio is a hater. No need to listen to what they say. Just lump Hannity, Limbaugh, Savage, Beck and O'Rielly into one group even though the only two that are very close philosophically are Limbaugh and Hannity.

I listened to a portion of the Beck recording. Besides just being stupid, Beck interjects the following comments:

Beck, imitating Malia says, “Daddy, why do you hate black people so much?”

The 1st word of the response by Beck’s co-host, who was imitating Obama, is difficult to understand, but it sounds like he said - “I’m part white, honey”

I don’t know if you consider that remotely hateful, but it has to be pretty close.

ducknwork
06-01-2010, 11:01 AM
I listened to a portion of the Beck recording. Besides just being stupid, Beck interjects the following comments:

Beck, imitating Malia says, “Daddy, why do you hate black people so much?”

The 1st word of the response by Beck’s co-host, who was imitating Obama, is difficult to understand, but it sounds like he said - “I’m part white, honey”

I don’t know if you consider that remotely hateful, but it has to be pretty close.

Where is the clip? I haven't heard anything about it until this thread.

Blackstone
06-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Where is the clip? I haven't heard anything about it until this thread.

Here's a link to the clip I listened to. The above quote comes about 39 seconds into the clip.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201005280025

ducknwork
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
That's trashy. He ought to be ashamed of himself. It's not even remotely funny, so I can't understand all the laughter either.

I'll never listen to Beck again. Oh wait. I never did to begin with.

dnf777
06-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Its an old trick I learned back when I was a republican! :D

As for his hate speech and tactics, its like my grandmother used to say about lots of things......"if you have to explain it....don't waste your time!"

Besides all that....he's a raving nut-case!

david gibson
06-01-2010, 11:57 AM
That's trashy. He ought to be ashamed of himself. It's not even remotely funny, so I can't understand all the laughter either.

I'll never listen to Beck again. Oh wait. I never did to begin with.

whooooooptee-frickin-do. no where near as bad as what Letterman said but no lefties called for his neck. besides, if GB is so irrelevant and crazy and a nutjob why does mediamatters and everyone else on the left even care enough to listen to his show? why would you care about anything he says, afterall, the only people that should hear it are other extreme right nut cases.

dnf777
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
why would you care about anything he says, afterall, the only people that should hear it are other extreme right nut cases.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I only occasionally watch him if there's something that peaks my interest, and even then, its similar to why people pay a nickel to see side-show freaks at the traveling circus!

road kill
06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I only occasionally watch him if there's something that peaks my interest, and even then, its similar to why people pay a nickel to see side-show freaks at the traveling circus!
Sort of insensitive, don't you think??:D

rk

david gibson
06-01-2010, 04:12 PM
call GB what you want, but he is being pretty contrite right now. far, far more reflective than letterman was.