View Full Version : Blame????

road kill
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Interesting read;

BP's corporate, personal ties to White House emerge
BY HELENE COOPER AND JOHN M. BRODER
NEW YORK TIMES
05/30/2010

WASHINGTON Three years ago, the national laboratory then headed by Steven Chu received the bulk of a $500 million grant from the British oil giant BP to develop alternative energy sources through a new Energy Biosciences Institute.

Chu received the grant from BP's chief scientist at the time, Steven E. Koonin, a fellow theoretical physicist whom Chu jocularly described as "my twin brother." Koonin had selected the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory at the University of California at Berkeley, over other universities in the United States and Britain, in part because of Chu's pioneering work in alternative fuels.

Today, Chu is President Barack Obama's energy secretary, and he spent Tuesday in Houston working with BP officials to try to find a way to stop the flow of oil from the ruptured well in the Gulf of Mexico.

Koonin, who followed Chu to the Energy Department, is recused from all matters relating to the disaster because of his past ties to BP, said Stephanie Mueller, an Energy Department spokeswoman.

The relationships among Chu, Koonin and BP illustrate the complexity of the ties between the company and the government now playing out along the Gulf Coast as they struggle to cope with one of the nation's worst environmental disasters. Just as the Pentagon and military contractors develop symbiotic business, technical and political interdependencies, the government in this case needs BP's offshore drilling technology and well-control equipment; the company needs the government's logistical and scientific expertise, including that of Chu, a Nobel Prize-winning scientist.

Some critics say the Obama administration has relied too heavily on BP's assessment of the blowout and its solutions for addressing it. But government officials say that BP is legally responsible for plugging the well and cleaning up the mess. And they acknowledge that the government lacks the know-how to deal with the problem on its own.

There is no evidence that Chu or Koonin have represented BP's viewpoints in internal deliberations or sought to influence administration policy in a way that would benefit BP. But John Simpson of Consumer Watchdog said: "From what I've seen, the Energy Department's response has been less than rapid to this oil spill. This whole thing just underscores that corporate interests have created, over time, these relationships that give them unfair access to policymakers."

That darned Bush!!!:D

rk

Marvin S
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
BY HELENE COOPER AND JOHN M. BRODER
NEW YORK TIMES
05/30/2010

WASHINGTON Three years ago, the national laboratory then headed by Steven Chu received the bulk of a $500 million grant from the British oil giant BP to develop alternative energy sources through a new Energy Biosciences Institute. rk

Makes Cheney & Hallyburton look like small potato ;-) .

dnf777
06-01-2010, 01:16 PM
If Dr. Chu took the money and used it for personal gain, then he should under the same scrutiny as Mr. Cheney. If the money was used in conjunction with a grant to develop alternate energy, and was spent appropriately, then that is a daily occurence, that is completely on the up and up. Now, if Mr. Chu and Joe Biden hold secret meetings with energy officials, after all that, it would certainly raise eyebrows.

Eric Johnson
06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
What money did V.P Cheney take after he was elected?

Eric

Hew
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Now, if Mr. Chu and Joe Biden hold secret meetings with energy officials, after all that, it would certainly raise eyebrows.
It wouldn't raise your eyebrows. You'd pull out your BHO pompoms, put on your cheer skirt and dance like some spasmodic spider monkey sadly chained to Rahm Emanuel's crank organ. Or perhaps you weren't aware that your boy is being sued by liberal gadflys Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington to get the names of the coal executives attending a secret Whitehouse meeting? That's not be be confused with the lawsuit filed against the Obama Whitehouse to determine the secret identities of 18 different health care executives who visited the Whitehouse. I'll anxiously await your rationalization and excuse making with some comparison to Bush.

dnf777
06-01-2010, 03:17 PM
You'd pull out your BHO pompoms, put on your cheer skirt and dance like some spasmodic spider monkey sadly chained to Rahm Emanuel's crank organ.
I'll anxiously await your rationalization and excuse making with some comparison to Bush.

1) I did not initiate comparisons to Bush.
2) I believe I clearly stated that this deserves scrutiny as well, if there's question of wrong doing.

3) I know what you're eagerly awaiting, but you'll never see me in a cheerleader outfit. Try Larry Craig, he'll be happy to oblige your fantasies!

Buzz
06-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Looks like they put out the information on the HC execs.

Anticipating the limited release of records Wednesday evening, CREW attorney Anne L. Weismann said, "It's our view this is merely spin and not a real effort at transparency."

An hour before the president's news conference on health care, the White House sent CREW the following list of visits by health care executives:

Bill Tauzin visited the White House on March 5, May 19, June 2, and June 24. He is president and CEO, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America.

Karen Ignagni visited the White House on March 5, 6, and 11 and June 30. She is president and CEO, America's Health Insurance Plans.

Richard Umbdenstock visited the White House on February 4, February 23; March 5, March 25, March 30; April 6, and May 22. He is president and CEO, American Hospital Association.

J. James Rohack visited the White House on March 25, June 22, and June 24. The cardiologist from Texas is president of the American Medical Association.

William C. Weldon visited the White House on May 12. He is chairman and CEO, Johnson & Johnson.

Jeffrey B. Kindler visited the White House on March 5, May 6, and June 2. He is chairman and CEO, Pfizer.

Stephen J. Hemsley visited the White House on May 15 and 22. He is president and CEO, UnitedHealth Group.

Angela F. Braly visited the White House on February 13. She is president and CEO, WellPoint.

George Halvorson visited the White House on March 27 and June 5. He is president and CEO, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan.

Jay Gellert visited the White House on February 10, March 11, and March 20. He is president and CEO, Health Net.

Thomas Priselac visited the White House on April 3. He is president and CEO, Cedars-Sinai Health System.

Richard Clark visited the White House on March 24. He is chairman, president and CEO, Merck.

Wayne T. Smith visited the White House on June 4. He is chairman, president and CEO, Community Health Systems.

Rick Smith visited the White House on May 19 and June 2. He is senior vice president, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America.

"In addition to the above information, the White House visitor records reflect that Mr. Tauzin, Ms. Ignagni, Mr. Umbdenstock, Mr. Rohack, Mr. Kindler, Mr. Halvorson, Mr. Gellert, Mr. Priselac, David Nexon, and Rick Smith were scheduled to attend a May 11 meeting at the White House. We understand that all the individuals attended the meeting except Mr. Kindler, and that Mr. Clark attended as well."

CREW's response:

CREW responded in a statement:

"While Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington is pleased the White House has taken a step towards delivering the transparency promised in the first days of the administration, the letter sent by White House Counsel Greg Craig in no way satisfies CREW’s June 22nd Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for the Secret Service visitor records of 18 health care executives. First, the FOIA requires the administration to release the records themselves, not merely a summary of some information included in the records. The actual visitor records likely would indicate with whom each official met, the administration official who requested clearance for the visitor, the time of the meeting, the duration of the meeting and, in some cases, the purpose of the meeting. In addition, no information was provided regarding any visits to the vice president’s residence. Mr. Craig’s summary is not an adequate substitution for the records themselves.
I'll leave it to someone else to dig into the story on the coal execs.

paul young
06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
wouldn't 3 years ago be 2007?

i believe Obama was not yet president.....-Paul

Buzz
06-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Eric

I don't know what he eventually did with the proceeds...

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Cheneys_stock_options_rose_3281_last_1011.html

YardleyLabs
06-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Eric
What money did Chu get after he was appointed? Cheney actually received deferred compensation after he was elected, but this was earned fully prior to election and not subject to any payment discretion by Halliburton.

Eric Johnson
06-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I didn't say anything about Chu. I was only asking about Cheney and it appears that his skirts are clean so far as what has been reported.

Eric

Roger Perry
06-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I didn't say anything about Chu. I was only asking about Cheney and it appears that his skirts are clean so far as what has been reported.

Eric

Cheney wore skirts? Doesn't suprise me one bit.

ducknwork
06-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I hope you aren't trying to imply that Cheney is a transvestite or queer. That would be soooo shameful.:rolleyes:

Where's Susie Q when we need her little snitch self?

Dish it out but can't take it regards...

Roger Perry
06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
I hope you aren't trying to imply that Cheney is a transvestite or queer. That would be soooo shameful.:rolleyes:

Where's Susie Q when we need her little snitch self?

Dish it out but can't take it regards...

Maybe it was a kilt

road kill
06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Cheney wore skirts? Doesn't suprise me one bit.
When someone mad an inuendo about your preferences you went balistic and made all kinds of threats!!!!
When you do it, it's OK???

You are a peice of work.:rolleyes:

rk

depittydawg
06-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Makes Cheney & Hallyburton look like small potato ;-) .

Guess it depends on what the key word is here. I view the key word as "alternative". I'm guessing others view the key word(s) as "500 million". BTW, even at half a billion, Hallyburden is still no small fry in comparison. They made Billions on their no bid contracts handed over by the most corrupt VP in the nations history.

Hew
06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
When someone mad an inuendo about your preferences you went balistic and made all kinds of threats!!!!

I'm sure Dick Cheney wouldn't threaten to sue; he'd challenge you to a chainsaw duel. America was a much better place before whiny liberals slithered their greasy tentacles into all aspects of it.

After Dick Cheney vactioned once in the US Virgin Islands they had to change the name to just, The Islands.

Cheney doesn't actually suffer heart attacks. He attacks his heart. Claims it "keeps it mean. Like a doberman."

To teach the kids who kept cutting across his lawn a lesson, Dick Cheney created childhood cancer.

He also eats sea lampreys raw and wriggling.

Dick Cheney, through his shady Third World connections, had a Haitian whore give Howard Dean syphillis and then steal his watch, which Cheney then gave to Tom Delay as a Christmas gift.

Teabagged a rabid pit bull at 1982 Laramie County Fair

Used his Halliburton fortune to have a T-Rex cloned from dna found in a fossilized mosquito's stomach just so he could have anal sex with it... like a Viking.

After crashing in the desert on a Congressional Junket in the early eighties, Dick Cheney survived the heat for 82 days just by drinking his own sweat.

The temperature in any room he enters mysteriously drops by 10 degrees.

Bathes every night in the warm, viscous plasma of freshly killed Iraqi insurgents to keep his skin soft.

Dick Cheney is not a mammal. Scientists speculate that he is in fact a Daspletosaurus.

On his first interview as a Vice Presidential candidate, he was asked what his leadership qualifications were. He answered, "My pimp hand is strong!"

Insisted as child that he be called Dick instead of Richard just so the class bullies would pick on him.

Everyone knows Dick Cheney dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. But what is less well-known is that, before loading it, he spraypainted the words "It's not you, it's me" on the bomb's side, an expression he'd just invented.

His snarl was formed at an early age. While breastfeeding, he'd tell his dad to "Back the f off."

Dick Cheney won't come into your home unless you invite him in.

Dick Cheney played all the instruments on the first Dokken album.

Dick Cheney routinely fires a nail-gun into his own kneecap "just for the rush."

Dick Cheney made the President and CEO of Lockheed Martin piss his pants at a demonstration flight of the F-22 by saying "this better rock, biatch".

Dick Cheney has repeatedly pressed for Congressional resolutions banning torture, because it's not as fun if it's legal.

In a bow to conservationsists, Dick Cheney converted his SUV. It now runs on orphans. And puppies. And orphan puppies.

Dick Cheney brought back the dodo from extinction because he likes the taste.

Dick Cheney is able to survive in the vacuum of space.

Dick Cheney is absolutely certain that the movie "Easy Rider" has a happy ending.

Dick Cheney believes that the country needs less litigation, and more chainsaw duels.

Cheney killed Johnny Cash just to watch him die.

Dick Cheney actually discovered the process for converting blood into oil while the head of Halliburton. He's kept it under wraps though because "without the killing, it just seems kinda faggy".

Dick Cheney killed disco with his bare hands.

As a youth, angrily denounced Pol Pot for "just phoning it in, sometimes."

depittydawg
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Ok Hew, where did you get that baby picture of Dick Cheney that you use for an Avatar?

Roger Perry
06-02-2010, 01:06 PM

rk

I did not make the statement that "his skirts were clean." You will have to take that up with Eric.

Eric

ducknwork
06-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Hew....LMAO....