PDA

View Full Version : Illegal immigration at its best

badbullgator
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Mother of missing baby boy in Fort Myers fears husband's deportation

By RACHEL REVEHL • rrevehl@news-press.com • June 2, 2010

1:10 A.M. — Piles of clothing — pint-sized trousers and onesies, small socks and petite jumpers — are folded in the front room of a tiny, burnt sienna trailer on Linhart Lane.

For Maria Ramos Dos Santos, stacking outfits for her two youngest children, even laundry day is a piercing reminder of the child she fears she’ll never hold again. Baby Bryan Dos Santos Gomez was ripped from her arms at knife point in Fort Myers when he was 4 weeks old. If he’s alive, he would be 4.

But now, there’s another set of clothing at the home that remain untouched — those of her husband, Jurandir Gomes Costa, 29. The man whom Dos Santos describes as her “courageous encourager” is facing deportation back to the couple’s native Brazil after a November arrest for driving without a license.

“I lost my baby, and now I’m losing my husband,” Dos Santos said, cradling 5-month-old Christopher as 2-year-old Kimberly tugged at the hem of her floral dress. “It’s like I’m living in a nightmare, and I can’t ever wake up.”

The two migrated illegally five years ago from a small, poor village in Brazil, where Gomes Costa harvested sugar cane and Dos Santos cleaned houses. When they came to the U.S., Dos Santos said neither knew their actions were illegal.

“We wanted a better life for our family,” she said in Portuguese. “Now, I understand what we did was wrong. But I am asking the government to please have mercy on us, at least until we can find our son. I feel if we leave without him, it would be like giving up hope.”

Bryan was kidnapped Dec. 1, 2006. Dos Santos told authorities she was walking with Bryan and a friend when a woman in a dark sport utility vehicle approached and asked for directions, and they got into the car to help her find her destination. The woman pulled a knife, forcing Dos Santos and her friend from the car and ordering them to leave Bryan.
Skeptical detectives

In those first few weeks, a rush of law enforcement officials worked feverishly and the case garnered national attention. But Bryan was never found
Skepticism was high in the initial stages of the investigation, said Fort Myers police Detective Matthew Sellers. Some wondered if Bryan’s parents had sold him to repay a human smuggler.

But Sellers is now convinced it was a random kidnapping, especially given an account provided by another woman, who came forward a few days after the crime.

She too, was approached by a woman fitting the suspect’s description, just five hours before Bryan was taken. She was walking in the same neighborhood with her grandson and the suspect asked for directions and tried to coax her into the SUV. The grandmother refused.

Later, the grandmother and Dos Santos picked the same woman’s face from a photo lineup. Turns out, the woman whose face they chose wasn’t connected, but Sellers said it backs Dos Santos’ credibility.

Sellers is now the sole detective on the case, and the flood of tips has since slowed to a trickle. Bryan, along with his two younger siblings, are U.S. citizens, but Sellers said their parents’ immigration status has no bearing on the investigation.

Gomes Costa has been held by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the Broward Transitional Center in Pompano Beach since Dec. 10, after serving a nine-day sentence following an arrest by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office for driving without a license. ICE spokeswoman Dani Bennett could not comment further on the case.

Dos Santos said her husband applied for a U visa, designed to allow illegal residents who are victims of violence to remain in the country for four years, provided they cooperate with authorities and law enforcement stamps the approval. Only about 10,000 U visas are issued each year, and Dos Santos said her husband’s paperwork was not properly filed. She is in the process of applying for her own.

Sellers believes the parents will cooperate, no matter where they end up.
Depth of pain

Dos Santos said if her husband is deported, she will have to go with him.

“I cannot support myself here with two small children,” she said, noting her church has been paying her rent and utilities; she receives a small subsidy from the government to feed her children. The family has had no income since her husband, who laid tile, has been in custody.

The two haven’t been able to see each other — Dos Santos fears she will be detained too if she goes to visit — but Gomes Costa calls every day.

“It is hard for someone who has never lived this nightmare to understand the depth of our pain,” she said. “But he tells me to be strong. His faith is contagious, and he always says we can never give up hope.”

These people are the poster children for why Arizona’s immigration law should be in place everywhere.
They, by their own admission, we brought into the country by human smugglers. Once here they had a baby. The baby was then mysteriously kidnapped. A huge investigation followed. During the investigation their story changed numerous times. There were no witnesses other than the mother and a friend that was with her at the time. Later a woman came forward, also Hispanic, who said someone also tried to steal her baby on the same day. Police finally kind of dropped the investigation because the general consensus was that the baby was not really kidnapped, but that it was taken as payment for smuggling them into the country (either that was the payment or they had not paid the smuggler and they took the child). Since this happened the woman, still here illegally, has had two more children that we paid for by the tax payers and are living on public assistance. The husband is in jail awaiting deportation because he was arrested for a crime and they determined he was also here illegally. Now they are seeking public support and government help to keep from being deported. I am sure he will be allowed to stay and rewarded for breaking our laws numerous times.
Since they have been here ILLEGALLY they have cost the tax payers MILLIONS of dollars. The investigation lasted several months and involved the city police, sheriff, FBI, ICE, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and several other local agencies across the state. They initial investigation the day it happened was full blown search with helicopters and hundreds of officers. This incident supposedly happened on THE main business street in our town, a 6 lane road that is busy and yet nobody but the mother and her friend saw this happen. The poor father and mother had to stop working because they were so grief stricken and have worked very little if at all ever since and are living on food stamps and other assistance.
The story of what happened went from a white woman taking the child to a Hispanic woman who spoke Spanish doing it. The funny thing about that is that the mother only speaks Portuguese so how she was able to tell the police exactly what was said to her is kind of a mystery regardless of weather the “kidnapper” spoke English or Spanish. Later they said the child was kidnapped by a ring of prostitutes that live in the same trailer park as the parents…..and on and on…….

badbullgator
06-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Sure enough ICE let him out of jail today......

Moral to the story, break the law, trade your newborn for being smuggeled into the country (you didn't know it was illegal to be smuggeled in :rolleyes:), cost the tax payers MILLIONS by creating a story about your child being kidnapped, live of charity and food stamps, pop out TWO MORE kids on my dime and you will most likely be allowed to stay here and continue to steal our money and be of no use to our society in any way shape or form.

oh yeah forgot to add get arrested for driving w/o a DL (pretty sure that means no insurence either...) which I am sure they will continue to do and maybe someday have an accident that the other person will be screwed for becasue they have no DL or ins.........

BULLSHIT!!!!!!

YardleyLabs
06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
The quoted story says:
Skepticism was high in the initial stages of the investigation, said Fort Myers police Detective Matthew Sellers. Some wondered if Bryan’s parents had sold him to repay a human smuggler.

But Sellers is now convinced it was a random kidnapping, especially given an account provided by another woman, who came forward a few days after the crime.

You say:
Police finally kind of dropped the investigation because the general consensus was that the baby was not really kidnapped
…….

The story you quote contradicts your statement that the kidnapping was a hoax.

huntinman
06-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Who cares either way. Illegal is illegal...send him back where he came from.

badbullgator
06-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Not really it says one detective does not believe it. The general belief if that the kidnapping was a hoax and thus one person still "working" on it and that one person has no reason to get off his lazy ass and agree that it was a hoax. Easy job investigating something that never happened. Then again the mothers story of the gang of hookers that did it might be true :rolleyes:. The reason this one cop believes it was not a hoax is a hispanic woman who came forward days later and said a similar thing happened to her.....not exactly compelling evidence that it was not a hoax when the story changed time after time and someone agreed with ONE of the stories.....