PDA

View Full Version : How we perceive each other on POTUS

BonMallari
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Am I the only one spending less time on POTUS because I think it has started to affect how I perceive fellow RFT'ers and also how I may be perceived on the main forum on retriever related issues

I guess politics, religion and dog training just dont mix :p:p

Guess I'll spend more time with the dogs since they dont care what religion I believe or who I voted for today on my early state primary voting

ducknwork
06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Doesn't bother me...I thought we all got along pretty good, despite our differences.

Maybe it's cuz I'm the problem...:confused:

david gibson
06-03-2010, 03:12 PM
i know it affects how you and some other's perceive me but i have yet to find a reason why i should care...anyone who takes internet talk that seriously needs to reflect, good that you can recognize this. i have plenty of friends and family with polar opposite views and i am sure you do to, does that affect how you perceive them?

even "had" a "friend' here on rtf, trained together several times and hung out at hunt tests together and got along great, many mutual friends outside of retrieving, etc. if i was really such a bad guy i doubt he could have worked dogs and enjoyed watching dogs and trading ideas together as much as we did. then because of a difference of internet perception the guy wont even make eye contact. when someone takes internet dialogue that seriously then, and only then, does it alter my perception of them as a person.

life's just too short for that, so why care?

heck, i even still like the beatles after what sir paul said. i may puke everytime i hear "michelle" but thats about it.... ;-)

Buzz
06-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't know. There may be some on here that I wouldn't want judging me in a field trial. Might want to teach that damn liberal a lesson or two.

dnf777
06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I'll throw birds you you Duck....even Gibson if he promises not to put my picture on one of his t-shirts!! :D

BonMallari
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM
i know it affects how you and some other's perceive me but i have yet to find a reason why i should care...anyone who takes internet talk that seriously needs to reflect, good that you can recognize this. i have plenty of friends and family with polar opposite views and i am sure you do to, does that affect how you perceive them?

life's just too short for that, so why care?

wasnt aimed at you David , but I don know that I have received positive and perceived negativity when I have met fellow RTF'ers in person..both ends of the spectrum from " wow , I really enjoy your posts " all the way to " I've read your stuff on RTF and I'll leave it at that "...I dont expect to get along with everyone, but personally I would like my real personnae to match my screen identity...I also look forward to meeting fellow RTF'ers and dont want to pre judge them negatively based on what they post here and the regular forum..plus they may judge me on the line and I would prefer they judge my dog's work..

I guess thats why I care

paul young
06-03-2010, 04:01 PM
i've judged the dogs of folks i don't care for and always, it was about the body of work that day or weekend. i would hope that any other judge would do the same.

for me, it's just a number on a sheet of paper and my notes and sketches at the end. i don't even want to see a catalog until the trial is over.-Paul

road kill
06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
wasnt aimed at you David , but I don know that I have received positive and perceived negativity when I have met fellow RTF'ers in person..both ends of the spectrum from " wow , I really enjoy your posts " all the way to " I've read your stuff on RTF and I'll leave it at that "...I dont expect to get along with everyone, but personally I would like my real personnae to match my screen identity...I also look forward to meeting fellow RTF'ers and dont want to pre judge them negatively based on what they post here and the regular forum..plus they may judge me on the line and I would prefer they judge my dog's work..

I guess thats why I care
Well........if I judged any of you in a test it would be about your dog, not you.

I have met several RTFr's and consider each one a friend.

If I have offended any of you, didn't mean to.

But I am 58 years old and have lived thru the BEST life has to offer and the worst.

In the words of Popeye;

"I yam what I yam!!"

Bon, you are percieved by me as a gentleman.

As far as my maturity.....it's been in question since the day I was born.;)
As far as my philosophy on life, read my tag line.
If any of you were around me during a test, you would enjoy the day.....life is very short my friends.
Team Elvis always has an ample supply of Chocolate Chip cookies, Rocky Patels and Jack Daniels for after!!:cool:

stan b

ducknwork
06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I'll throw birds you you Duck....even Gibson if he promises not to put my picture on one of his t-shirts!! :D

How about you just shoot them instead? I am more of a hunter myself...

I'd hunt with any of you guys, any day. Well, maybe not Jeff...but that's more about him being a gimp and not helping set out decoys rather than our polar opposite views...;-)

Just so nobody perceives me as being mean, that last part was what is known in NC as a 'joke'.:cool:

Franco
06-03-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't know Bon, I sure get a lot of PM's and even folks tell me a trials that they agree with much that I write here, But, they don't want openly express thier positions.

I've never had a problem expressing how I feel no matter how many people I may piss off or make happy.

How's that old saying go..."If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

I like this one too: "The meek shall not inherit the earth" Taught to me by a Buisness Professor.

:cool:

P S I'm not out to sell anything to anyone here on RTF. I'm not promoting litters, I'm not a pro trainer or sell stud services(I'm not the man I was when I was 21);-) so, I don't have to be PC here on RTF!

I can call 'em as I see 'em.

YardleyLabs
06-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I will admit I have thought about this on occasion, particularly since I have elected to present what is clearly a minority perspective. On balance, I think that the links that bind us outside of the forum are the only things that allow us to discuss such issues in a normally respectful way. I have heard feedback on my political posts at a number of trials, just as I routinely get comments on my photos. The comments on the photos tend to be a little more positive (;-)), but I have never felt that either my dogs or I suffered as a result of people who dislike my politics. However, I make a very conscious effort to remember, as I post, that we are all real people outside of the Internet, and that our involvement in dog sports could place us in the same holding blind or gallery at any time.

YardleyLabs
06-03-2010, 05:07 PM
How about you just shoot them instead? I am more of a hunter myself...

I'd hunt with any of you guys, any day. Well, maybe not Jeff...but that's more about him being a gimp and not helping set out decoys rather than our polar opposite views...;-)

Just so nobody perceives me as being mean, that last part was what is known in NC as a 'joke'.:cool:
I thought it was funny -- and accurate. However, if we ever went hunting I would only be shooting my camera. No bird, hunter or dog deserves to live with the ear damage that would be caused by all of my missed shots.

david gibson
06-03-2010, 05:58 PM

I guess thats why I care

well, i have been called an a___h___e in rtf and in PM's, but funny - everyone i meet at tests are nice and sit and talk. especially in louisiana. but then again some could be avoiding me, i am easily spotted carrying my lens. no one has called me an a__h__e to my face yet though....although it would be fun to meet one of those that have called me names on RTF in person.... ;-)

Cody Covey
06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
I really don't think that most of us think of each other differently just because we disagree politically. Jeff thinks differently than most on here but he isn't wanting to murder babies or anything like that. I have asked him advice via PM before about camera and he was more than willing to help. I can think of only two people, one on each "side of the aisle" that probably actually dislikes people on here because of politics, although i won't be naming names and hell could be wrong in my perception of them anyway.

huntinman
06-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Bon, I understand where you are coming from but you don't need to worry. To me, just like another has said, you come across as a gentleman. We may disagree with others about politics and such, but that's why this page is here, to keep it off the main page. Years ago when I was working for GTE (now Verizon) in Alaska, the president of the company came up from the lower 48 to visit our little office. He spent a couple of days there and got to know us a little. As he was leaving he told me "Any man that like dogs is a pretty good man in my book". I think that is appropriate here as well.

BonMallari
06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
However, I make a very conscious effort to remember, as I post, that we are all real people outside of the Internet, and that our involvement in dog sports could place us in the same holding blind or gallery at any time.

I agree with you Jeff...my brother got blindsided at a recent FT by someone who wasnt enamored with me, dont know if it was from POTUS or my "advice" on the main forum,but it has made me rethink what I say on here and the main forum...My brother has a good reputation on the circuit, I would hate to do or say anything that reflects badly on my family and would cause him to have to defend my actions

BonMallari
06-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Let me Guess,,its me. Mr always talkin God stuff. Thats OK Its we're my thinking is. Its how I decide what is right or wrong ,,true or false
However your perception of me is 180 degree's off.

And to prove this to you ,,,you are invited to hunt quacks (not me) at my place. You can bring your brother and what ever dog you like.

Then you'll have something concrete to base your perceptions on.

Pete

Nope Pete it wasnt you, wrong gender,wrong trial... I have actually been trying to meet you :D trust me my brother and I do not discuss religion.;) Dog training,family business in that order...only time we discuss politics is on the road when I have the satellite radio tuned to Fox News or America Right

david gibson
06-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I agree with you Jeff...my brother got blindsided at a recent FT by someone who wasnt enamored with me, dont know if it was from POTUS or my "advice" on the main forum,but it has made me rethink what I say on here and the main forum...My brother has a good reputation on the circuit, I would hate to do or say anything that reflects badly on my family and would cause him to have to defend my actions

Bon...................Bon bon.....my man......oh sheeeze where do we start?

i am floored by the quoted post. as has been said already, you are perceived as a gentleman. i have read your posts because in the beginning i latched on to the longhorn connection. from that, i learned a lot. any man who lingered in the presence of Cactus Pryor cannot be a bad guy, be he liberal or conservative. burnt orange transcends all.

i would love to meet anyone that "wasnt enamored with me (of course thats you)". what exactly have you said/done that could make anyone mad? nothing at all. it could only be a liberal that didnt like something you said conservatively. ho hum. again - we all have polar opposites in our realm of friends and families - deal with it. i can not recall anything you have ever done to besmirch your brother.

so if anyone stands back from your brother because of "you", then the problem lies with "them".

now if I was your brother's brother it could be a different story!

Pals
06-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Am I the only one spending less time on POTUS because I think it has started to affect how I perceive fellow RFT'ers and also how I may be perceived on the main forum on retriever related issues

Guess I'll spend more time with the dogs since they dont care what religion I believe or who I voted for today on my early state primary voting

Yep. I ran into a fellow RTFer at the KCRC-he told me I was a total smartarse, but he did say he loved me!!:D So I gave him a pink hat.......a little bribery never hurt.

Anyway I taught this lesson last nite to the kiddies at church-regardless of your beliefs you should treat people the way you want to be treated and we HAVE to be kind and decent to one another.

Ok I know several of you are still reeling over the thought of me teaching ankle biter Wednesday nite church school-HA I find it pretty funny too. They love me because when we finish early the kids get to throw marks for Ryder in the big field behind the church. Never said I was dumb............

Jeff I would hunt with you, I'm already deaf and anyone who hunts with me will learn a whole new level of cuss words. I can't hit anything either.

DarrinGreene
06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm about done with the forum all together due to the perception of certain training partners who dislike me posting but read quite often.

Buzz
06-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I am much more apprehensive about expressing opinions on dog training questions in the main forum than I am about discussing politics on POTUS.

YardleyLabs
06-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I am much more apprehensive about expressing opinions on dog training questions in the main forum than I am about discussing politics on POTUS.
Exactly. I generally try to limit my comments to things related to breeding (mechanics, pedigrees, whelping, puppy rearing, etc.) and photography, where I have more experience than most, and say little about anything else.

BonMallari
06-03-2010, 09:58 PM

that is one area I have really bitten my tongue...I even drew some heat for our pro because an owner thought I was the one training his dogs,while on location...when in reality I was nothing more than a bird boy...

I have learned that there are a lot of circuit dog people that lurk but dont post here on the RTF ;)

road kill
06-03-2010, 10:02 PM

DITTO!! ;-)

rk

Marvin S
06-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Like POTUS, the main forum has it's x purts, when they post the rest of us should accept that as gospel :rolleyes:.

I just don't worry about what others think, if they are that petty it's their problem. TBS, there are some on both forums I don't have the time of day for but not due to their politics, it's just who & what they are, they just show their true colors on this forum. There are also some posters I hope to meet before I get the call ;-).

david gibson
06-03-2010, 10:13 PM

not me! i piss off everybody there by doing things the exact opposite as they think and still have a smokin dog! that performs! thats half the fun!!!!!

mjh345
06-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Yep. I ran into a fellow RTFer at the KCRC-he told me I was a total smartarse, but he did say he loved me!!:D So I gave him a pink hat.......a little bribery never hurt.

Nancy, you ARE a total smartarse, but I love your sense of humor.
I also LOVE the pink hat, and wear it often with pride.
Although I didn't make it over to see the Senior, I heard nothing but good things about the fair and fun tests you and Dannette set up. Thanks again for judging for us.
Next time I run into you I hope there will be more time to spend with you and experience your great sense of humor and rapier wit.

All my Best to you and the mops.
Marc Healey

ducknwork
06-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I thought it was funny -- and accurate. However, if we ever went hunting I would only be shooting my camera. No bird, hunter or dog deserves to live with the ear damage that would be caused by all of my missed shots.

If you really are that bad, maybe I need to hunt with you. I'll even buy your shells. I gotta do whatever I can to make myself look better...:(

charly_t
06-04-2010, 01:02 AM

Bon, I agree with the others you are a gentleman. I can't remember that you ever posted anything that should make anyone that upset. Maybe the person can't remember who posted what :-) wait....that's me lol.

I never post anything on the rest of the forum because I sure don't know a thing about training dogs and have never been to a bird dog trial. My Father and my husband both hunted birds (quail mostly) and the only thing I know about training a bird dog is .........make it part of the family (and keep it in the house with the family if possible).

M&K's Retrievers
06-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Hell, I thought I was just killing time while I play nursemaid for my wife's broken leg (lab induced). I don't take this seriously. Opinions are like A Hs, everybody has one. Some get over the top-including me- but that's why they make remote controls. Change the channel.:p:p

ducknwork
06-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Hell, I thought I was just killing time while I play nursemaid for my wife's broken leg (lab induced). I don't take this seriously. Opinions are like A Hs, everybody has one. Some get over the top-including me- but that's why they make remote controls. Change the channel.:p:p

Hey! Whaddaya mean I spend too much time here?!:confused: :p

Gerry Clinchy
06-04-2010, 09:07 AM
This is one of the most enjoyable threads to read.

Contrary to what someone has said about trying to judge people by what they post on the Internet ... I think these posts indicate a group of very decent people that it would be nice to meet

Pals
06-04-2010, 10:09 PM
not me! i piss off everybody there by doing things the exact opposite as they think and still have a smokin dog! that performs! thats half the fun!!!!!

What's the other half?????:D and what the heck is your dog smokin!!!?

Ken Bora
06-04-2010, 10:13 PM

I have learned that there are a lot of circuit dog people that lurk but dont post here on the RTF ;)
Man,
You got that right Bon! I blows my mind the folk who recognize me and say “I have read your stuff on RTF” and not just at events but a vet Tec at my last check up and a cashier at Costco! Folk you never see post, read everything!

JDogger
06-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Man,
You got that right Bon! I blows my mind the folk who recognize me and say “I have read your stuff on RTF” and not just at events but a vet Tec at my last check up and a cashier at Costco! Folk you never see post, read everything!

Yup! log on any weekday morning and you'll see 14 viewing, 4 members,(two hidden), and ten guests....they sure aren't all SusieQ. Who are they? I know a couple people who read and seldom post. Who are the rest of 'em? JD