PDA

View Full Version : Opinion- Not Politics

depittydawg
06-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Well this doesn't fall under the heading of politics but it is maybe a chance for all us old bored farts to slam each other over something else that is meaningless...
Question:
Best Rock Band

My choice. Alman Brothers. Southern Rock can't be beat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNTKOFOU8ak

BonMallari
06-06-2010, 10:30 PM
classic rock : out of the trees and on your knees its VAN HALEN..close second Aerosmith

best hair band : BON JOVI (who else)

favorite band :the most leftist liberal leaning band ..the Eagles

country music : George Strait and that hotttt HSUS sympathizer Carrie Underwood

who says its not political :p:p

subroc
06-06-2010, 10:44 PM
there is led zeppelin, then there is everyone else.

dnf777
06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Nobody got gals on the dance floor like AC/DC (You Shook Me All Night Long)
Even though they're not American, they get my vote.

(sorry if I've offended gals or Aussies with my comment) :eek:

Henry V
06-06-2010, 11:24 PM
there is led zeppelin, then there is everyone else.
For pure classic rock, agreed.

M&K's Retrievers
06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Nobody got gals on the dance floor like AC/DC (You Shook Me All Night Long)
Even though they're not American, they get my vote.

(sorry if I've offended gals or Aussies with my comment) :eek:

Holy crap, Dave! We might agree on something. My middle dog is named Angus. No wait. The Monkeys? No. Herman's Hermits? The Zombies? No. The Yardbirds ? Maybe Peaches and Herb. No. Grateful Dead? Sam and Dave? Otis Redding? (Where was he siting? ) Oh Man, Grand Funk Railroad! The Boxtops?

Franco
06-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Led Zepplin? Their albums were so over-dubbed with multiple tracks that they never sounded anything like thier albums when performing live. I know, I saw them in concert three times!

Best rock band, which era?

Classic Rock - No band comes close to the Rolling Stones. Now here was a band that sounded like their albums when performing live.

Best Current Rock Band. That's a tough one. So many great bands right now. I'll say it is a toss up between Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots.

Best emerging rock bands - Cage The Elephant, Three Days Grace, Kings Of Leon and Muse.

Best Country Artist - George Staright. As far as listening to today's country radio playing Nashville Hillybilly Pop, I'd rather stick an ice pick in my ear!

Franco
06-07-2010, 12:02 AM
The Boxtops?

Alex Chilton, guitarist and singer for the Box Tops died in his home of a heart attack two months ago in his New Orleans home in the Treme neighborhood.

After leaving the Box Tops, Alex formed a band named Big Star. Their Radio City albumn is one of my all time Top 10!:cool:

Last time I saw Alex perform, he closed his show at the Circle Bar in New Orleans with Earnie K Doe's Te Ta Te Ta Ta.

Buzz
06-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Led Zepplin? Their albums were so over-dubbed with multiple tracks that they never sounded anything like thier albums when performing live. I know, I saw them in concert three times!

Best rock band, which era?

Classic Rock - No band comes close to the Rolling Stones. Now here was a band that sounded like their albums when performing live.

Best Current Rock Band. That's a tough one. So many great bands right now. I'll say it is a toss up between Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots.

Best emerging rock bands - Cage The Elephant, Three Days Grace, Kings Of Leon and Muse.

Best Country Artist - George Staright. As far as listening to today's country radio playing Nashville Hillybilly Pop, I'd rather stick an ice pick in my ear!

Led Zepplin was well known for sucking live, but I did see Page& Plant in Cincinnati and they did a great concert. I agree with you on The Stones and STP. But beyond that there are so many tied for second in my book. Stevie Ray Vaughn, Neil Young, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, Lynyrd Skynyrd. My blues favorite is Buddy Guy, followed closely by Savoy Brown. Favorite punk band, Devo. And who doesn't crank Ted Negent's Stranglehold or Great White Buffalo when they come on?

Franco
06-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Favorite punk band, Devo.

You like them better than Green Day?

Old school punk, I'd have to go with either The Smiths or Rancid.

Favorite Blues band...The Paul Butterfield Blues band with Al Cooper on guitar.

Favorite female rocker...Lucinda Williams, she's not bad for a white girl.

Clint Watts
06-07-2010, 12:47 AM
CCR and Metallica

depittydawg
06-07-2010, 01:28 AM
You like them better than Green Day?

Old school punk, I'd have to go with either The Smiths or Rancid.

Favorite female rocker...Lucinda Williams, she's not bad for a white girl.

Lots of great blues out there. But there is only one Clapton. Here's a treat I found recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNBEiyGwGRc

BonMallari
06-07-2010, 01:46 AM
I think one thing we may be able to agree on is that without Les Paul and the Gibson guitar who knows what direction music might have taken

Buzz
06-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Lots of great blues out there. But there is only one Clapton. Here's a treat I found recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNBEiyGwGRc

I saw him do this from 10th row center on his From the Cradle tour. This is Clapton at his best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp0-STZvbD8

M&K's Retrievers
06-07-2010, 01:56 AM

Man I thought I was the only one who knew of the PBBB. Get Out My Life Woman. East West. I remember Mike Bloomfield on guitar. I still have the East West album just nothing to play it on.;)

dnf777
06-07-2010, 07:01 AM

George Strait may eventually become equal to none other than Hank Williams (Sr.) in all-time country greats. Alan Jackson is about the only other "country" artist that I will buy CDs unheard. Far as I'm concerned, they're the only steadfast country artists left. (very few others, VERY few)

ducknwork
06-07-2010, 07:12 AM
I gotta say, I really, really like the music of Boston. It's not nearly as 'hard' rock as what yall listed, but there is just something about the sound of their songs that I like.

Now for the worst group...there is nothing that will make me change the station and vomit faster than Rush.

Franco
06-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Man I thought I was the only one who knew of the PBBB. Get Out My Life Woman. East West. I remember Mike Bloomfield on guitar. I still have the East West album just nothing to play it on.;)

It was late when I typed that. I should have written Mike Bloomfield on guitar.;-) Blood, Sweat & Tears did thier best work when Al was thier singer. I downloaded East West and Super Session with Steve Stills, M Bloomfield and Al Cooper(on guitar) on to my iPod.

I agree Geo Strait and Alan Jackson are about the only legit Country artist on radio. All the rest is record label product. Though all of Straits' last 6 LP's sound alike.

Sorry guys but, I find Eric Clapton boring since he left Bonnie & Delaney.

dnf777
06-07-2010, 07:32 AM
I agree Geo Strait and Alan Jackson are about the only legit Country artist on radio. All the rest is record label product. Though all of Straits' last 6 LP's sound alike.

What's an "LP"?? ;)

I haven't noticed, do kids today still use terms like "new album"?
When I hit the scene, 8 track was trying to replace 45s and 33s. Quickly fell to the casette, which then fell to the CD. DAT never went mainstream consumer. Throughout all of it, the term "album" survived. I wonder if it will survive the ipod generation? Kids today have no idea what I mean when I refer to a song as the "flip side" of anothe song. :(

road kill
06-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Greatest "Rock" song ever;
"Gimmee Shelter"

Greatest "Rock" band;
Led Zeppelin

rk

Franco
06-07-2010, 07:52 AM
What's an "LP"?? ;)

When I hit the scene, 8 track was trying to replace 45s and 33s. Quickly fell to the casette, which then fell to the CD. DAT never went mainstream consumer. Throughout all of it, the term "album" survived. I wonder if it will survive the ipod generation? Kids today have no idea what I mean when I refer to a song as the "flip side" of anothe song. :(

LP = Long Playing Album, a term still used in the industry.

Kids and adults now use; New CD.

I'd be lost without my iPod. I've "burned" thousands of old songs from iTunes.com and "ripped" all the new music I'm interested in from CD's, which I get for free at work.

What I like about my iPod is that I can download from iTunes straight onto an external hard drive (Western Digital) as my muisc library, then transfer the music to my 120 gig iPod. The iPod stores about 38,000 tunes! That way, if I lose my iPod, I still have all the music in my library and can play it on my home puter or iPod which I have Boze speakers and subwoofer that will deliver the bottom one needs to listen to rock.

dnf777
06-07-2010, 08:18 AM

The iPod stores about 38,000 tunes! That way, if I lose my iPod, I still have all the music in my library and can play it on my home puter or iPod which I have Boze speakers and subwoofer that will deliver the bottom one needs to listen to rock.

Thanks for the history lesson, gramps! (I was kidding....LP still slips from my lips now and then and I get funny looks!)

We can go off line, but I'd like to ask about your setup. Mine sounds very similar, but I still have concerns about taking a hit and losing my data. I use an apple airport 1TB wireless, but it's still on the home's grid. I'd like to use an additional HD that I unplug and keep in the gun safe.

I got the Bose system w/ SW--it rocks for a computer, but I still prefer my old analog Technics driving StudioMonitors for true rock sessions!!

Sorry to hijak...I'll take it off line unless anyone wants an audioGDG thread!

Franco
06-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the history lesson, gramps! (I was kidding....LP still slips from my lips now and then and I get funny looks!)

We can go off line, but I'd like to ask about your setup. Mine sounds very similar, but I still have concerns about taking a hit and losing my data. I use an apple airport 1TB wireless, but it's still on the home's grid. I'd like to use an additional HD that I unplug and keep in the gun safe.

I got the Bose system w/ SW--it rocks for a computer, but I still prefer my old analog Technics driving StudioMonitors for true rock sessions!!

Sorry to hijak...I'll take it off line unless anyone wants an audioGDG thread!

I know how to operate everything but, I used my neighbors 16 year old son as my IT consultant. He made a list and told to to go buy everything at Best Buy.

I think the key is having the external drive as my Music Library. With that, I can program my iPod.

Next project, I'm going to have him intergrate my computer to my TV and get another external drive for loading movies and sports.

depittydawg
06-07-2010, 10:12 AM

Kids and adults now use; New CD.

I'd be lost without my iPod. I've "burned" thousands of old songs from iTunes.com and "ripped" all the new music I'm interested in from CD's, which I get for free at work.

What I like about my iPod is that I can download from iTunes straight onto an external hard drive (Western Digital) as my muisc library, then transfer the music to my 120 gig iPod. The iPod stores about 38,000 tunes! That way, if I lose my iPod, I still have all the music in my library and can play it on my home puter or iPod which I have Boze speakers and subwoofer that will deliver the bottom one needs to listen to rock.

Have to agree here. Can't beat an IPOD for sound storage. And playing quality too. I need to buy one. I've always used my kids. But now they're both in college :(

depittydawg
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
What's an "LP"?? ;)

I remember, not too long ago, when my kids asked me what an "album" was... Man did I feel old. Luckily I have quite a collection left over from the 60's and 70's. Wonder if any of them are worth anything...
A footnote for you. My son is a classic music performance major in college. A few weeks ago he had a recital. I was talking to the sound engineers (students) about their craft. They both got excited when I mentioned albums. Apparently there is something about the recordings on records that is considered superior to digital. According to those guys, the sound from a record is far superior and realistic to all the latest technologies.

Buzz
06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I remember, not too long ago, when my kids asked me what an "album" was... Man did I feel old. Luckily I have quite a collection left over from the 60's and 70's. Wonder if any of them are worth anything...
A footnote for you. My son is a classic music performance major in college. A few weeks ago he had a recital. I was talking to the sound engineers (students) about their craft. They both got excited when I mentioned albums. Apparently there is something about the recordings on records that is considered superior to digital. According to those guys, the sound from a record is far superior and realistic to all the latest technologies.

Here is a short little explanation for this. I learned about all this in detail back almost 30 years ago when I took a class on Boundry Value Problems where we learned Fourier Series, Fourier Transforms, and Laplace Transforms. Seems like CDs were just hitting the market back then and everyone was talking about superior sound quality. My electrical engineering professor enjoyed putting that bit of conventional wisdom to rest. It all depends on the sampling rate... Too low a sampling rate will cut out the high frequency components of a signal, giving the sound a muffled quality.

http://x2.i-dat.org/~csem/UNESCO/1/index.html

dnf777
06-07-2010, 12:29 PM
They both got excited when I mentioned albums. Apparently there is something about the recordings on records that is considered superior to digital. According to those guys, the sound from a record is far superior and realistic to all the latest technologies.

I was going to comment on your last post too, about the sound quality of ipods. Not even close. I have a bose system on my imac, and its awesome, but DEFINATELY loses some fidelity. Its noticible with good rock, and with classical violin and cello, its even worse. No doubt, I love my imac and ipod, and its easier to cut hay with an ipod than a trunk full of cds, but for pure audio fidelity, I'll take my LPs, technics, and SM 120s every day!

Anybody else have GunzUp on their iPods?? :D

road kill
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
McIntosh receiver and preamp.
McIntosh amps with vacuum tubes (4 - 811's) !!
4 Advent towers.
Thorens turntable.
Nothing like it!!

Digital sux!!

On my H-D;
Harmon Kardon w/220 per channel w a pair of "Cycle Sounds" kevlar with hi performance tweeter and woofers in the bags.:cool:

An "Onyx" ((XM)) / Sirius satelite rcvr.

I get some weird looks when AC/DC is blastin!!!!:D

rk

Buzz
06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I get some weird looks when AC/DC is blastin!!!!:D

rk

But why?

Reminds me of when I worked at Siemens. We used to take turns hosting Friday after work happy hours. It was a good friend of mines turn, and after a few hours we were starting to get lubed up pretty good. I mentioned AC/DC and he went into his family room and popped in AC/DC and blasted it. About half the party cleared out almost immediately. The half that stayed had a great night!

road kill
06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
But why?

Reminds me of when I worked at Siemens. We used to take turns hosting Friday after work happy hours. It was a good friend of mines turn, and after a few hours we were starting to get lubed up pretty good. I mentioned AC/DC and he went into his family room and popped in AC/DC and blasted it. About half the party cleared out almost immediately. The half that stayed had a great night!

Some "OLD" lady was crabbing at me 1 day to "grow up....turn that down!!"

I asked how old she was............48!!:rolleyes:
(I guess I should add that I am 10 years older than that old lady)
Someone tell me how you play this song (what I was playing)softly & quietly??
You CAN'T!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5Pz5fH1FA&feature=related

stan b

M&K's Retrievers
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Or Thunder or Hells Bells..:D. Never thought of it before but my dog Angus' sire was named Thunder.

Cody Covey
06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Have to agree here. Can't beat an IPOD for sound storage. And playing quality too. I need to buy one. I've always used my kids. But now they're both in college :(

Actually its not hard to get WORSE quality of sound then an Ipod. Even in lossless format...that hardware just sucks...

depittydawg
06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Some "OLD" lady was crabbing at me 1 day to "grow up....turn that down!!"

I asked how old she was............48!!:rolleyes:
(I guess I should add that I am 10 years older than that old lady)
Someone tell me how you play this song (what I was playing)softly & quietly??
You CAN'T!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5Pz5fH1FA&feature=related

stan b

How do you define too loud. With hard rock there's no such thing. Maybe ear damage I guess. Wife was complaining she could here it in the other room last night. Wait a minute, I had the headphones on. Maybe I was getting a little carried away...:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmqK0aXkHho

Franco
06-07-2010, 03:36 PM
I can't believe all you old geezers have a problem with the fidelity from digital! Outside of having some really expensive sound system where a difference could really be noticed, most of us are listening in our vehicle straight from the factory sound system or computer.

Oh, and if it's too loud, you are probably too old!

Between listening to my rock loud, concerts and shooting my shotgun and pistolas, I do have some hearing loss which makes all this digital not good for high-fidelity crap meaningless.;-)

Now when I was a teen, I had a Dynamic tube amp, pre-amp and the balliest JBL's any rocker could ever hope to help with hearing loss.

Buzz
06-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I can't believe all you old geezers have a problem with the fidelity from digital! Outside of having some really expensive sound system where a difference could really be noticed, most of us are listening in our vehicle straight from the factory sound system or computer.

Oh, and if it's too loud, you are probably too old!

Between listening to my rock loud, concerts and shooting my shotgun and pistolas, I do have some hearing loss which makes all this digital not good for high-fidelity crap meaningless.;-)

Now when I was a teen, I had a Dynamic tube amp, pre-amp and the balliest JBL's any rocker could ever hope to help with hearing loss.

Franco, the engineering professor that I learned about digital sampling from made the comment - once you all are old enough to be able to afford a really nice stereo system, you won't be able to hear the difference anymore...

But, if the sampling rates are really low, such as the examples on the page I linked, even a grey beard like me can hear the difference!

cycler
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Another vote for the Allman Brothers Band. I like/liked all the different lineups of the band, but, you really haven't seen them until you see them at the Beacon Theatre in NYC.

ZZ Top would be next on my list. Especially like the first four albums.

Franco
06-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Another vote for the Allman Brothers Band. I like/liked all the different lineups of the band, but, you really haven't seen them until you see them at the Beacon Theatre in NYC.

ZZ Top would be next on my list. Especially like the first four albums.

I use the see them when Duane was playing slide guitar!

ZZ Top, loved their second effort; Rio Grande Mud

"Just got paid today, got me a pocket full of change".

depittydawg
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I use the see them when Duane was playing slide guitar!

ZZ Top, loved their second effort; Rio Grande Mud

"Just got paid today, got me a pocket full of change".

The thing that I really like in Mucis is originality. The Allman Bros had a definitive sound. I think they defined the term, Southern Rock. Then Lynyrd Skynyrd brought it all home again. The Piano and guitars were a perfect match. Here's a tidbit on how Billy Powell (piano) joined the band.

"After his usual routine working with Kevin Elson, Billy had time to rest for a short while. In the corner he spotted a piano, so Billy went over and sat down with it. Just fooling around, Billy launches into his piano based version of Freebird for the boys in the band to listen to. Ronnie, astonished at his roadies hitherto secret ability said 'You mean to tell me, you've been playing the piano like that and you've been workin' for us for a year....'. Billy replied , "Well, you know, I've been classically trained most of my life.' He was then told Skynyrd were looking for a keyboard man, and Billy was in!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Powell