PDA

View Full Version : Does California have it right for a change.

cotts135
06-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Yesterdays primary in California had several propositions on the ballot but one that struck me as unusual was Proposition 14 which in a nutshell allows greater participation of voters by including Independent voters. Both the Democratic and Republican parties were against this initiative which is why it grabbed my attention. I would definitely be someone who voted yea.
I included a link to the state website for anyone interested in the pro's and cons of the Legislation. Comments welcome.

http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/propositions/14/title-summary.htm

depittydawg
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Yesterdays primary in California had several propositions on the ballot but one that struck me as unusual was Proposition 14 which in a nutshell allows greater participation of voters by including Independent voters. Both the Democratic and Republican parties were against this initiative which is why it grabbed my attention. I would definitely be someone who voted yea.
I included a link to the state website for anyone interested in the pro's and cons of the Legislation. Comments welcome.

http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/propositions/14/title-summary.htm

I read about this initiative yesterday. The fact that both political machines are against it was about all I had to hear. It must be a good idea.

BonMallari
06-09-2010, 04:50 PM
being a former California resident of some 25 + yrs this had me scratching my head...I can see why the Repub would be against it but I cant see why the Dems would...the states demographics have shifted since the minority population grows.Once conservative strongholds like Orange County and San Diego county are heavily offset by the Marin county and bay area liberal strongholds.If Fiorina and Whitman can pull off the double sweep of Gov and Senator it may be a signal that the state is tired of being broke.
California is a winner take all state in the general elections and hasnt gone Republican in decades..I think the Dems say they didnt like the legislation but it definitely favors them

depittydawg
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM
being a former California resident of some 25 + yrs this had me scratching my head...I can see why the Repub would be against it but I cant see why the Dems would...the states demographics have shifted since the minority population grows.Once conservative strongholds like Orange County and San Diego county are heavily offset by the Marin county and bay area liberal strongholds.If Fiorina and Whitman can pull off the double sweep of Gov and Senator it may be a signal that the state is tired of being broke.
California is a winner take all state in the general elections and hasnt gone Republican in decades..I think the Dems say they didnt like the legislation but it definitely favors them

What party is the current Governator? Remind me please? In fact 3 or the last 4 governors of Ca were republicans. Fiorina is the Outsourcing Queen who almost single handedly brought down HP. She was so bad the stockholders had to revolt to get rid of her. Yep, she will do wonders for the states economy...

BonMallari
06-10-2010, 04:51 AM
What party is the current Governator? Remind me please? In fact 3 or the last 4 governors of Ca were republicans. Fiorina is the Outsourcing Queen who almost single handedly brought down HP. She was so bad the stockholders had to revolt to get rid of her. Yep, she will do wonders for the states economy...

Gray Davis was so incompetent they recalled him...Arnold talked tough and has been ineffective...its no longer my state but do you want to see 6 more yrs of Barbara Boxer and her dislike for the military, guns, and go hand in hand with Feinstein...I grew up in the conservative heart of Orange County and my local assemblyman was a field trialing student of Rex Carr and he had a National Finalist in FC AFC Rodney's ML Coon...that man was my friend and a democrat..he was one heck of a trialer too..his name Ken Cory

Nor_Cal_Angler
06-10-2010, 10:42 AM

DING, DING, DING...we have a winner. This worries me almost more than anything else on the ballot. The problem is...from now on get ready to see either 2 dem's or 2 repub's....and more than likely 2 dems. There is no way the north goes repub the population center is ALL BAY AREA and that is all Dem...

The only thing this measure does is allow for a LANDSLIDE democratic ballot for voters to vote on....

NCA

depittydawg
06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
DING, DING, DING...we have a winner. This worries me almost more than anything else on the ballot. The problem is...from now on get ready to see either 2 dem's or 2 repub's....and more than likely 2 dems. There is no way the north goes repub the population center is ALL BAY AREA and that is all Dem...

The only thing this measure does is allow for a LANDSLIDE democratic ballot for voters to vote on....

NCA

Actually what it does is press for moderation from candidates. Extremist candidates from either party don't have a chance. Considering the state of government today, it's probably a good thing. We might actually get legislators that can talk to each other and reach compromise.

huntinman
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Actually what it does is press for moderation from candidates. Extremist candidates from either party don't have a chance. Considering the state of government today, it's probably a good thing. We might actually get legislators that can talk to each other and reach compromise.

McCain is as "moderate" as they come. Thanks to him we have the Chicago thugs in the WH. Moderation is not what we need. Its just what the libs like to tell us we need.

BonMallari
06-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Compromise is pie in the sky...it now consists of the side with all the majority power (votes) making the minority side settle for crumbs...Compromise sounds great and makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy but that ship has sailed in Washington many Congresses ago

Nor_Cal_Angler
06-11-2010, 03:27 AM

Negative....I say again...Negative the pattern is full Ghostrider.....

Compromise is pie in the sky...it now consists of the side with all the majority power (votes) making the minority side settle for crumbs...Compromise sounds great and makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy but that ship has sailed in Washington many Congresses ago

DING DING DING....we have a winner....

See my post above, re-read it...the majority in N.Cali has gone the way of nutjob liberals and that "majority" will not be out done buy the few of us that are left....the Bay Area alone has kept Nancy at the top (and the hold out republican's in SoCal cant get barbara out) it wont matter what the minority puts up as a canidate...with this legislation passing it will be the democrate in charge and which ever democrate comes in second, there is NO way a republican reaches the ballot and a third party member...can you say SNOW BALL IN HELL's chance.

This was the (in my opinion) knife that killed the elections....Democrates in california saw the movement of the nation and the potiential of being run out of office and quickly scrambled up this wonderful piece of work...put it before there loyal voters and KNEW that they would pass it....now they sit back and either get re-elected or they get thier party re-elected either way its a win win for the democratic party....

I sure hope that I can eat crow on this one but my gut tells me the liberal think tank that thunk this one up, got us duped and hit solid GOLD...

NCA