PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts

Marvin S
06-09-2010, 10:12 PM
The other day I was thinking - prior to my time building kites I spent some time as an upper manager in the mining business. Our cardinal rule was "It's only ore if it can be mined at a profit", which would make sense to most of you on this forum.

At one time I had around 400 men & 15 shift bosses working for me in 80 working places, most of which were on 2 shifts. The goal of management was to maximize production with contract (piece work) shifts. My crews generally operated in the 73% of total manpower on contract which was quite good. With 308 of 400 expected to be on contract the difference b/t 77 & 73% makes for well coordinated turnarounds.

We now have too many in our society who are not producing enough to pay their way which along with the public employees who do not have a product who have been able to vote things their way.

This needs to be changed, & I believe many are waking up to that fact. Apparently, it's not a good year to be an incumbent, has the taxpaying public finally had their Paul Revere moment?

There are a lot of things that need to be changed - where would you start?

Franco
06-10-2010, 07:51 AM
I would start with;

Changing the requirement to vote to those that can pass a Civics Test in English and show proof of being a Tax Payer.

Along with Immigration Reform where only those with Professional Degrees that can pass an entrance exam in that field would be considered elligible for entrance along with thier immediate family.

depittydawg
06-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I would start with;

Changing the requirement to vote to those that can pass a Civics Test in English and show proof of being a Tax Payer.

Along with Immigration Reform where only those with Professional Degrees that can pass an entrance exam in that field would be considered elligible for entrance along with thier immediate family.

I would start by providing for complete public financing of elections. Get all private money out of elections period.

Ken Bora
06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
start??????
welfare reform......

mjh345
06-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I would start by providing for complete public financing of elections. Get all private money out of elections period.

That would be a great start; although I think it is clear it wouldn't pass Constitional muster with this SCOTUS

Eric Johnson
06-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't know how depittydawg's idea would work but I have my own idea on primary elections. I don't see why the public should be expected to pay for either or both of two clubs to select (nominate) their candidate. Primary elections should be financed by the political parties.

Eric

Marvin S
06-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't know how depittydawg's idea would work - It won't, the public pays for POTUS, hasn't done much for the integrity of the process - but I have my own idea on primary elections. I don't see why the public should be expected to pay for either or both of two clubs to select (nominate) their candidate. Primary elections should be financed by the political parties. Eric

In our county there is ranked choice voting for county positions - one election so far & the political class is not happy :cool:. Because of the politicals insistence that they get to pick the candidate, an initiative was presented & now the top 2 vote getters regardless of party go to the general election in statewide elections. There are certain advantages to that - a narrow candidacy will not get you far in a statewide race. In our state the lefty's & the social right had been dictating the general election candidates as they turnout for the primary, but no longer. & the politico's lost the court challenge.

I agree with you, if they want a primary let the parties pay for it.