PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Bush was guilty after all

BonMallari
06-10-2010, 05:26 PM
relax Roger...its Reggie Bush....not George:p

source NY TIMES

The National Collegiate Athletic Association severely penalized the University of Southern California on Thursday, barring its football team from bowl games for two years and ordering it to vacate its 2004 national championship, citing major violations by the football and menís basketball programs. The harshest penalties stem from improper benefits given to the Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and the basketball player O. J. Mayo, which the N.C.A.A committee on infractions said struck at the heart of the associationís amateurism principle.

The university must also disassociate itself from Bush and Mayo. The football coach Pete Carroll left in January to become head coach of the Seattle Seahawks in the N.F.L. The basketball coach Tim Floyd resigned in June 2009.

Dee also said what happens to the Trojansí national title will be up to the Bowl Championship Series, which sanctions the football title. The N.C.A.A. can only rule that Southern California must vacate the victory over Oklahoma.

Reggie must have taken a pay cut when he started playing for the Saints. It will be interesting to see if the Downtown Athletic Club has the nutz to strip the Heisman trophy from Bush...

or to see if the BCS or the Pac 10 will make USC pay back any of the BCS Bowl game money

dnf777
06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm not a huge CF fan, but this perked my attention. I know life's not fair, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Why would the governing body punish the team in that way? Think of the kids who are NOT guilty, who signed on, and now have their college careers greatly reduced, and possibly the chance of making the pros. Why not hold the people personally responsible...you know, the ones who arranged the illegal activity, and accepted it, knowingly? Coach? AD? Bush? Besides, it seems like most of the people being punished, weren't even there when the crime occured, and those who were, are elsewhere, and escaping any accountability.

Franco
06-10-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm not a huge CF fan, but this perked my attention. I know life's not fair, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. Why would the governing body punish the team in that way? Think of the kids who are NOT guilty, who signed on, and now have their college careers greatly reduced, and possibly the chance of making the pros. Why not hold the people personally responsible...you know, the ones who arranged the illegal activity, and accepted it, knowingly? Coach? AD? Bush? Besides, it seems like most of the people being punished, weren't even there when the crime occured, and those who were, are elsewhere, and escaping any accountability.

USC is being cited for lack of instituional control.

The fact that U officials didn't know what was going on is no excuse . That's why Pete Carroll fled to the NFL. When he fails there, he'll be back at a west coast college. Now with Kiffen as Headcoach, I expect USC's football program to fall on hard times.

dnf777
06-10-2010, 08:47 PM
USC is being cited for lack of instituional control.

The fact that U officials didn't know what was going on is no excuse . That's why Pete Carroll fled to the NFL. When he fails there, he'll be back at a west coast college. Now with Kiffen as Headcoach, I expect USC's football program to fall on hard times.

Right. But if the "institution" failed, why are the kids and other staff being punished, while the two principal players, the coach and the player, off scott-free? Doesn't sound like much accountability by the guilty parties??

Franco
06-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Right. But if the "institution" failed, why are the kids and other staff being punished, while the two principal players, the coach and the player, off scott-free? Doesn't sound like much accountability by the guilty parties??

They may end up taking Reggie's Heisman trophy away, though I doubt they will.

How do you punish the guys that are gone, they didn't break any laws? All the gulity are gone except for one assistant coach and his involvement is questionable.

So, who is the 2004 National Champion? Since USC won easily in the championship game and is being stripped of that win, they should give it to the team that trounced thier opponet in a bowl game and finished ranked 2nd.

That would be LSU!

Eric Johnson
06-10-2010, 09:15 PM
But LSU lost to Auburn in 2004. In fact, they lost to Auburn and Georgia before they lost to Iowa on New Years Day. How could a 3 loss team be awarded the national championship?

Eric

Franco
06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
But LSU lost to Auburn in 2004. In fact, they lost to Auburn and Georgia before they lost to Iowa on New Years Day. How could a 3 loss team be awarded the national championship?

Eric

I stand corrected!

After winning the National Championship for the 03 season, 04 was not so good and Nick Sabin bolted. It was the 05 season when the beat Miami by 30+ points and finished #2.

BonMallari
06-10-2010, 09:51 PM
they need to banish Pete Carroll from returning to CFB after he fails in Seattle, AD Mike Garrett needs to be relieved of his duties (which may happen) and most of all USC need sto repay some of the BCS money since they received it fraudulently..

I wonder if the DAC (Downtown Athletic Club) has the chutzpah to strip Reggie of the Heisman...if they care about the integrity of their hallowed trophy they will...

what's really sad/ironic is that even though USC will end up vacating the National title for that year, its hard to change the record books and it took 6 yrs to complete their investigation and come to a decision....the NCAA must use the same investigative firm as the Warren Commission or the one that OJ is using to find Nicole's murderer:rolleyes:

dnf777
06-10-2010, 10:05 PM
I wonder if the DAC (Downtown Athletic Club) has the chutzpah to strip Reggie of the Heisman...if they care about the integrity of their hallowed trophy they will...

What's the inscription and citation on the trophy say? Does it stand for honesty or integrity? Or just performance on the gridiron? If it's like most sports, it will be very forgiving of personal transgressions, and place game stats and popularity above all else! I haven't looked to sports for moral guidance in my life time. Maybe Honus Wagner's days, but not much lately.

BonMallari
06-10-2010, 10:22 PM
What's the inscription and citation on the trophy say? Does it stand for honesty or integrity? Or just performance on the gridiron? If it's like most sports, it will be very forgiving of personal transgressions, and place game stats and popularity above all else! I haven't looked to sports for moral guidance in my life time. Maybe Honus Wagner's days, but not much lately.

since you asked

Heisman Trust Mission Statement

The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work. The Heisman Trophy Trust ensures the continuation and integrity of this award. The Trust, furthermore, has a charitable mission to support amateur athletics and to provide greater opportunities to the youth of our country. Our goal through these charitable endeavors is for the Heisman Trophy to symbolize the fostering of a sense of community responsibility and service to our youth, especially those disadvantaged or afflicted. All assets of the Trust beyond the expense of maintaining the annual presentation of the Heisman Memorial Trophy are reserved for such charitable causes. The Trustees, who all serve pro bono, are guided by a devotion to college football and are committed to community service and the valued tradition which the Trophy represents.

dnf777
06-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Thanks Bon. In light of the references to "integrity", "amateur athletics", and "community responsibility and service to our youth", then yes, I think that provides grounds to revoke Bush's award. We'll see if they're just obscure words on a hunk of bronze, or if they take that charge seriously.

FCSpringer
06-11-2010, 06:13 AM
What deal.:confused:

Eric Johnson
06-11-2010, 11:50 AM
What he was accused of is very different but still it goes to the heart of integrity, sportsmanship, and good character. Did the DAC ask for the trophy back from OJ Simpson?

Eric

dnf777
06-11-2010, 02:30 PM
What he was accused of is very different but still it goes to the heart of integrity, sportsmanship, and good character. Did the DAC ask for the trophy back from OJ Simpson?

Eric

Not that I'm defending him, but at least OJ commited his crimes LONG after winning the trophy. Reggie was knowingly commiting a rules violation of personal gain at the time he was being considered for the trophy.

Again, not that I"m defending him, but only pointing out a possible argument that someone else may make. I think the Goldman's should be entitled to every last earthly posession of OJ's until his court-ordered debt is paid.

depittydawg
06-11-2010, 05:07 PM
relax Roger...its Reggie Bush....not George:p

source NY TIMES

Reggie must have taken a pay cut when he started playing for the Saints. It will be interesting to see if the Downtown Athletic Club has the nutz to strip the Heisman trophy from Bush...

or to see if the BCS or the Pac 10 will make USC pay back any of the BCS Bowl game money

Wow. That's an amazing story.

BonMallari
06-11-2010, 05:18 PM

Eric

on the Heisman ballot it specifically says that the person must be eligible according to NCAA standards, since Reggie is now considered ineligible it may be the caveat that the DAC needs to strip him of the Heisman...Simpson's crimes and those of Paul Hornung came long after their collegiate days

Franco
06-11-2010, 05:39 PM
In a local radio interview 10 minutes ago, Reggie said that if the DAC wants the trophy back that they are more than welcomed to it.

He gets his SB ring next week and said it wouldn't be the only one!

At 8 mil a year I can understand why getting the Heisman seems so distant to him.

Look for Reggie to lead the league in total combined yards next season. ;-)

dnf777
06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
In a local radio interview 10 minutes ago, Reggie said that if the DAC wants the trophy back that they are more than welcomed to it.

That sounds pretty low class to me. An apology and continued efforts at community charities, Lord knows there's opportunity in NOLA, would have been a more appropriate response, I would think.

Franco
06-11-2010, 07:39 PM
That sounds pretty low class to me. An apology and continued efforts at community charities, Lord knows there's opportunity in NOLA, would have been a more appropriate response, I would think.

Reggie has denied any wrong doing and has said that he doesn't agree with the ruling.

Is he innocent? I doubt that he is completely innocent. However, I've know many 19 year olds that have made mistakes, myself included.

Many of these athletes come from poor backgrounds and how can anyone blame them for taking a little swag?

I'm a big fan of Peyton Manning but, how many student athletes have wealthy parents that send them to the best high school money can afford and send them off to college with thier own Visa and American Express?

How many athletes have accept far more and never been caught? I think the system is outdated and in need of a logical overhaul.

dnf777
06-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I can agree with most of that. I was in college rolling coins to buy groceries, and saw kids driving baby-beemers with little horses embroidered on their shirts, while I was proud of my TAMU t-shirts! I didn't take things that weren't mine (even if some consider military scholarships freeloading!) so I don't give him a pass on those grounds.

But I agree with updating the whole system. I wish they'd just do away with the whole NCAA system, and start a minor-league system just like baseball. Get the big money and alumni influence out of schools, and maybe they'll quit lowering their standards to accommodate athletes, and focus on producing educated graduates that can actually do things like design BOPs that work.

Franco
06-11-2010, 10:48 PM
and focus on producing educated graduates that can actually do things like design BOPs that work.

Word out of UT is that the BOP was designed by an Aggie.:rolleyes:

dnf777
06-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Word out of UT is that the BOP was designed by an Aggie.:rolleyes:

You got me. I couldn't come up with anything in the allotted time! :-x