PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever run? Have you ever been in office?

Ken Bora
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I was looking at the rtf home page, 8.152 members. I was wondering, as it seems many of us do seem to complain about our elected folk.
So how many of us have ever run for any office? How many of us are in an elected position?

dnf777
06-13-2010, 07:16 AM
I serve on several boards, as elected positions within the company, but no publicly elected position. Since my day job already serves the public, I see no outcome to running for office other than to alienate at least half the folks out there, and cut my business by at least half. No thanks.

Franco
06-13-2010, 07:58 AM
I've never run but have worked on a few political campaigns.

Most noteable was when Harry Connick Sr ran for Orleans District Attorney against Jim Garrison (Kevin Costner played Mr Garrison in the movie JFK).

Connick served as Orleans Parish D.A. for 28 years.

david gibson
06-13-2010, 09:03 AM
does little league board of directors count? ;-)

BonMallari
06-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I too have worked on a few political campaigns, my first was for a Democrat...Ken Cory who was my Assemblyman from Calif....he worked his way up to the State Controller's office in the state and was poised to make a run at the Governor's office until being stricken with cancer..he also had a couple of nice FT dogs including being a National Finalist and was one of Rex Carr's original students

I also worked on a campaign her in NV for Kathy Augustine, she had been one of my classmates since my junior high school days. she was our state controller and was being groomed for a US senate run, but like many politicians, she misused her staff for her re election campaign and was impeached from office...she was later alledgedly murdered by her husband using drugs to simulate a heart attack...

If I remember correctly Marvin S here on the RTF serves or served on his local city council

YardleyLabs
06-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I've never run for office, but worked as an Assistant to the Mayor for Health Services under Mayor Beame in NYC and in the Office of the Mayor, Budget Bureau, under Mayor Lindsay, and then as a Corporate member of the Governor's Management Review Commission under Governor Florio in New Jersey.

Marvin S
06-13-2010, 11:09 AM
If I remember correctly Marvin S here on the RTF serves or served on his local city council

Appointed & elected twice to our 2500 student school Board - where I really became aware of the NEA's agenda. Coming from a family where education mattered, it was a real disappointment.

Ran for state legislature - lost 2 to 1 in Dixy Lee Ray landslide - after doorbelling much of the district swore I would never run for statewide office again, & haven't.

Ran this last year for city council against a local girl incumbent, lost by 15 votes, but like Obama I think some are having buyer's remorse :).

I will say this, unless you have played the game, you have little understanding of what it takes to make a campaign, vote by vote.

I had to vote 3 times - seen most of it. Also write lots of LTTE, & help sell a lot of newspapers. BTW, when on the SB made a lot of our customers unhappy because I was not a big spender & expected results for expenditures!

dback
06-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Brother-in-law was in the Az House for 12 years (now a lobbyist) and my son is on this years ballot for the Az Senate (gonna get a major ass whooping).....any of that count?

John Kelder
06-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Elected to Executive Board of my local union,served as a trustee in that Teamster Local.

Keith Farmer
06-21-2010, 11:55 AM
I was elected Regional Chairman for a national trade organization (several states under my representation)

I was elected Chairman of testing/training for a state trade organization

I was recruited but backed out of a state senate campaign (the recruiter is now a candidate for Governor of our state)...for many reasons.

I have drafted, obtained support, lobbied, and successfully passed a state bill for the State Insurance Commissioner (also a front runner in this year's Governor's race).

So what?!

None of that temporal stuff measure up to being dad to three little girls, husband to a dedicated wife, teacher of God's Holy Word to high school students in a culture where being anti-God is fashionable, and slave to the Master of all creation...Jesus the Christ.