PDA

View Full Version : Alabama governor blasts oil spill response leadership

Eric Johnson
06-14-2010, 09:13 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.55afc2f458ef4cadcb6e3e32530d858 a.1d1&show_article=1

http://tinyurl.com/25xr55o

A key governor on Sunday blasted the lack of leadership in the US response to the worst ever US oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, saying decisions were being gummed up in committee.

Governor Bob Riley of Alabama said he was more frustrated with the Obama administration's lack of coordination and unity of purpose than he was BP, the British energy giant blamed for the spill.

"You can't have a committee making the decisions that are going to impact this entire coastal area," he said on CNN's "State of the Union" program.

-more-

dnf777
06-14-2010, 09:15 AM
And Haley Barber thinks it's all a media concoction! There IS no problem!

Eric Johnson
06-14-2010, 10:33 AM
I was on the secondary response team for the Alabama EMA for many years. What the Governor is saying about how ideas are managed on the "crisis team" runs against the principles of emergency management. Any issue that is studied for 45 days has become a non-issue now.

Suppose that any or all of the ideas shown on the Huckabee show this past w/e were a silver bullet. There were some ingenious products shown but it's basically too late to use them because the spill is just too big. One chap had access to some huge quantity (I thought I heard 100 million tons but that is probably not right) of a product that absorbs the oil. Another had a mat made of hair. The EPA is still looking at that one despite the fact that human hair used to be in the waters of the Gulf all the time.

The Dutch offered specially equipped vessals with in the first 72 hours. They are years ahead of us in the technology of deep drilling because of the North Sea and the fears of just this sort of event. They were turned down.

Our own plans called for burning to start immediately. No further approval was needed. The burning never took place. (That's one SOB I'd like identified....the one who said don't burn.)

One of the towns along the Alabama coast (Magnolia Springs) is taking matters into their own hands and being successful. No oil on their beach.

I can't wait to hear the excuses tomorrow night.....

Eric

road kill
06-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I am willing to bet who ever will bet me that at least 2 references will be made to what Obama's administration "inherited!!"

Any takers????

rk

depittydawg
06-14-2010, 11:34 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.55afc2f458ef4cadcb6e3e32530d858 a.1d1&show_article=1

http://tinyurl.com/25xr55o

A key governor on Sunday blasted the lack of leadership in the US response to the worst ever US oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, saying decisions were being gummed up in committee.

Governor Bob Riley of Alabama said he was more frustrated with the Obama administration's lack of coordination and unity of purpose than he was BP, the British energy giant blamed for the spill.

"You can't have a committee making the decisions that are going to impact this entire coastal area," he said on CNN's "State of the Union" program.

-more-

o tell me why I should give a rats ass what the Governor of Alabama thinks about Obama? What the hell has the Governor done except jump on the political bandwagon? I don't even care what my own governor thinks. Thanks, but I'll make my own assessments.

My question to anybody still trying to reflect the blame of this incident to the government, what decision is it that should have been made? Please be specific.

road kill
06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
o tell me why I should give a rats ass what the Governor of Alabama thinks about Obama? What the hell has the Governor done except jump on the political bandwagon? I don't even care what my own governor thinks. Thanks, but I'll make my own assessments.

My question to anybody still trying to reflect the blame of this incident to the government, what decision is it that should have been made? Please be specific.
No one is blaming the "INCIDENT" on the Government.

I think we are blaming the Governments response to the "INCIDENT" on the Government.
Who else would we blame the Governments response to the "INCIDENT" on???

Oh, yeah, Bush.......

rk

david gibson
06-14-2010, 11:45 AM

i am not blaming the incident on government. if they point to MMS and other deficiencies and cozy relationships under bush, well, they ample time to fix that.

its more of leadership for containment and clean up i think. we are beginning to hear of all the help that was offered us by foreign countries but was refused. why? this is an interesting take on it, regarding the Jones Act. i still dont see a plausible reason to refuse the aid, obama and/or congress could easily get an executive order or other method to over ride a very antiquated law.

Franco
06-14-2010, 12:01 PM
The attitude down here is; Lets place politics aside and get this leak stopped and the mess cleaned up. Lots of time for pointing fingers later.

Problem is that the Fed responce is very political and it is clear that they don't understand what to do.

I'm just glad we have Gov. Jindal leading our efforts and not former Gov. Blanco!

aandw
06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
The attitude down here is; Lets place politics aside and get this leak stopped and the mess cleaned up. Lots of time for pointing fingers later.

Problem is that the Fed responce is very political and it is clear that they don't understand what to do.

I'm just glad we have Gov. Jindal leading our efforts and not former Gov. Blanco!

problem for dems is they have to sell that BP is the viilain NOW. so voters will forget by november who was in charge of the poor reaction time.
how many dems are going to want obama coming to speak in their diastrists/states for them this fall?

depittydawg
06-14-2010, 12:39 PM
No one is blaming the "INCIDENT" on the Government.

I think we are blaming the Governments response to the "INCIDENT" on the Government.
Who else would we blame the Governments response to the "INCIDENT" on???

Oh, yeah, Bush.......

rk

and what response is it we are looking for? I have my own criticism on that and have stated it here. I fault the president for not seizing on this event to overhaul and strengthen the regulatory agencies. I also fault him at this point for not using the bully pulpet to create an outcry for alternative energies. I doubt the conservatives that are complaining about inaaction from the government are in agreement. So juct what is it you'd like the government to be doing that they are not doing?

depittydawg
06-14-2010, 12:42 PM
problem for dems is they have to sell that BP is the viilain NOW. so voters will forget by november who was in charge of the poor reaction time.
how many dems are going to want obama coming to speak in their diastrists/states for them this fall?

??? BP is the villian. It doesn't require a sales pitch. The opportunity currently being seized upon by the Republican party is to politicize this for gain in november.

aandw
06-14-2010, 01:01 PM
sorry about that, didn't mean to sound like it wasn't BP's fault. the admin has to hammer that home, over and over, to distract from their lack of leadership.

"??? BP is the villian. It doesn't require a sales pitch. The opportunity currently being seized upon by the Republican party is to politicize this for gain in november. "
DUH, you expected something else from a political party? both sides playing politics with it. reps trying to get votes and the dems trying not to lose votes.

Franco
06-14-2010, 01:15 PM
And Haley Barber thinks it's all a media concoction! There IS no problem!

Here is the entire Haley Barbour quote and it is a very accurate assessment of what is going on;

The news coverage of this, of course, there’s a lot of it. It’s very sensational,” Mr. Barbour said. “It’s the worst pictures that you can get. And it shows every hour on cable news and several times a day on the regular networks.
“The people of the United States have the impression the whole Gulf of Mexico is ankle-deep in oil, which is simply not the case,” he said.
“There is no oil on the shore of Mississippi yet, the governor said, but the state has already lost the first third of its tourist season. ”

He is calling the media out for making it seem worse than it is. The media has been doing so since day one! Yes it is a disaster but not as bad as the media is making it out to be. Had the government had the proper responce, much of the leaking oil could have been captured.

dnf777
06-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Not only is the incident the fault of BP, but any lack of response, or damages resulting therefrom, are BPs as well. They had a plan in place. We've all seen the one that talks about walruses and penguins in the GOM? It clearly stated there would be NO impact upon the beaches, and that they had ample equipment and resources to contain a spill...that will never happen anyway. BP doesn't get to just walk away from this. It is their fault. It is their responsibility.

dnf777
06-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Here is the entire Haley Barbour quote and it is a very accurate assessment of what is going on;

He is calling the media out for making it seem worse than it is. The media has been doing so since day one! Yes it is a disaster but not as bad as the media is making it out to be. Had the government had the proper responce, much of the leaking oil could have been captured.

Uh...you left out a BUNCH of what he said. That clip was basically cherry-picked. Give me a minute and I'll put up the WHOLE story, or provide a link, as to no clog bandwidth. There's already enough BS spewing from the gulf.

Franco
06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Not only is the incident the fault of BP, but any lack of response, or damages resulting therefrom, are BPs as well. They had a plan in place. We've all seen the one that talks about walruses and penguins in the GOM? It clearly stated there would be NO impact upon the beaches, and that they had ample equipment and resources to contain a spill...that will never happen anyway. BP doesn't get to just walk away from this. It is their fault. It is their responsibility.

Both BP and the Fed responce have been failures. The only person with a real grip on this is Jindal. For one, Jindal didn't wait for the Feds to debate and give approval of the sand burns before he put the state at work building them and keeping oil out of most of the marshes.

Eric Johnson
06-14-2010, 01:35 PM

I guess you don't need to be concerned about anything way up in Oregon.

Gov Riley was not jumping on a political bandwagon. He simply wants to proceed with likely resolutions for the aftermath. He's been Gov for 8 years and has been through some rather painful emergencies....more than any of the others down here or ... the President. Given that, I think he should be listened to. Rather than farming these proposed solutions out to a committee of bureaucrats, Bob Riley would proceed with likely fixes. The town of Magnolia Springs was told that the Feds would look at their proposal. They said nuts, talked to Gov Riley and he said, "Do it." They're doing it and it seems to be working. It's an isolated solution but...it's working for them and that means that problem is solved.

It's not about studying the problem. It's about fixing it. The Feds just don't get that.

Eric

Franco
06-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Here is the entire Barbour quote;

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/blog/2010/06/governor-haley-barbour-strikes-a-chord/

Obama's responce;
http://www.dump.com/2010/06/14/obamas-solution-on-the-gulf-oil-disaster-pic/

aandw
06-14-2010, 01:53 PM

i agree the leak is 100% on BP. the clean up should have been. but when they failed the feds should have been sending equipment and solutions to the gulf, not the attorney general. paper work and law suits won't fix it and will takes months or years. it was an attack on our shores and should have been treated as such.

Captain Mike D
06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
I fault the president for not seizing on this event to overhaul and strengthen the regulatory agencies. I also fault him at this point for not using the bully pulpet to create an outcry for alternative energies.

Wow Dude,
Pretty sure most folks with 2 feet planted firmly on mother earth realize that in addition to sicing the lawers on BP that is ALL he has been doing!

He and his administration have not steamlined the process!
The folks that blocked the Magnolia River in Mississippi with barges risked going to jail cause they didn't have clearance from the CG and Army Corp.
The Dutch couln't come because of the Jones Act. He could have signed an executive order to suspend it just as BUSH did in the aftermath of Katrina.
All those neat ways that folks have come up with to catch the oil must be cleared by the EPA before allowed to be used.

BUT, he sure as hell could't wait to sign an order to suspend deep water drilling in the Gulf to throw another 100,000 people out of work so he could prove he was doing SOMETHING.

Yep great job, go after the money first, Make Big oil the evil greedy villan, then as you are prodded, fumble your way through the search for solutions. I'm glad the southern governers are calling him out. They could give to bullshts about his retoric- they just want the Feds to get out of the way.
And Oh Yeah, in case you missed it in one of his speeches he laid out the fact that BP is not in charge- THE FEDS ARE!! (Second time he came to visit the gulf)

The guy is a bigger joke than PEE WEE HERMAN!!

road kill
06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow Dude,
Pretty sure most folks with 2 feet planted firmly on mother earth realize that in addition to sicing the lawers on BP that is ALL he has been doing!

He and his administration have not steamlined the process!
The folks that blocked the Magnolia River in Mississippi with barges risked going to jail cause they didn't have clearance from the CG and Army Corp.
The Dutch couln't come because of the Jones Act. He could have signed an executive order to suspend it just as BUSH did in the aftermath of Katrina.
All those neat ways that folks have come up with to catch the oil must be cleared by the EPA before allowed to be used.

BUT, he sure as hell could't wait to sign an order to suspend deep water drilling in the Gulf to throw another 100,000 people out of work so he could prove he was doing SOMETHING.

Yep great job, go after the money first, Make Big oil the evil greedy villan, then as you are prodded, fumble your way through the search for solutions. I'm glad the southern governers are calling him out. They could give to bullshts about his retoric- they just want the Feds to get out of the way.
And Oh Yeah, in case you missed it in one of his speeches he laid out the fact that BP is not in charge- THE FEDS ARE!! (Second time he came to visit the gulf)

The guy is a bigger joke than PEE WEE HERMAN!!
At least Pee Wee created some jobs through his TV show.

rk

Franco
06-14-2010, 05:01 PM
And Pee Wee was green before his time riding a bicycle to work everyday!;-)

dnf777
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
paper work and law suits won't fix it and will takes months or years..

if you're a shrimper or anyone else who's vocation has been deleted, you'll appreciate the AG making sure you're compensated. I don't like lawyers anymore than the next guy, but they are a necessary evil sometimes.

david gibson
06-15-2010, 07:45 AM
if you're a shrimper or anyone else who's vocation has been deleted, you'll appreciate the AG making sure you're compensated. I don't like lawyers anymore than the next guy, but they are a necessary evil sometimes.

and how faurly are they being compensated? from what i hear its going about as well as all the other hope and change that has been promised.....

depittydawg
06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
and how faurly are they being compensated? from what i hear its going about as well as all the other hope and change that has been promised.....

It's hard to change the direction of an oil tanker by pulling it with a row boat. In Obama's defense, this is the task he faces in changing America.

huntinman
06-15-2010, 09:52 AM
It's hard to change the direction of an oil tanker by pulling it with a row boat. In Obama's defense, this is the task he faces in changing America.

AMERICA does not need changing. What needs changing is the POTUS and the rest of our gov't.

road kill
06-15-2010, 09:57 AM

WHAT??????

depittydawg
06-15-2010, 12:22 PM
AMERICA does not need changing. What needs changing is the POTUS and the rest of our gov't.

Yep, were were cruising on all cylinders when President Obama assumed office. Steady as she goes boys...

depittydawg
06-15-2010, 12:30 PM
WHAT??????

That's a pretty simple analogy roadkill. It really doesn't need an explanation. At least not to most. But since you asked, here goes. Obama was elected by a strong majority of American citizens, actually one of the biggest landslide elections in modern times to change this Government. However he battles a Senate entrenched in special interest money, a supreme court that seems to want to recreate 19th century America, and a Republican Party with nothing but it's own self interest as an agenda. To this throw in a mix of Corporate opposition to anything that interferes with profit, and a press that is owned by the same corporate interests. Hence the analogy. In other words it is a monumental assignment.

huntinman
06-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Yep, were were cruising on all cylinders when President Obama assumed office. Steady as she goes boys...

deppitydawg, you are now demoted to just dawg... wake up boy and smell the oil.

depittydawg
06-15-2010, 12:32 PM
deppitydawg, you are now demoted to just dawg... wake up boy and smell the oil.

Nice try bud. I stated exactly what you said. America doesn't need changing. Just wake dude. Never mind trying to smell anything. It will just confuse you more.