PDA

View Full Version : Swat Stats: Police Transparency



Eric Johnson
06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
This a follow-up to the Berwyn Heights raid in which the Mayor's two dogs were shot. It's not related to the death of the dogs but does contain some rather interesting statistics.

Eric
*****************
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=19451&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPD

http://tinyurl.com/2fh8nbo

In July 2008, a special weapons and tactics (SWAT) team mistakenly barged into the home of Cheye Calvo, the mayor of Berwyn Heights, Maryland, and killed his two Labrador retrievers. In response, the Maryland legislature passed a law that requires every police department in the state to report how often and for what purpose they deploy their SWAT teams.

Maryland is the first state in the country to pass such a law, and in March, the first reports came in. The results were disturbing, says Radley Balko, a senior editor at Reason magazine and Reason.com:

# On average, there were 4.5 SWAT raids per day in Maryland in the last six months of 2009, including about one per day in Prince George's County, where Calvo lives.

# According to an analysis in the Baltimore Sun, 94 percent of the state's SWAT deployments were related to search or arrest warrants, leaving just 6 percent for barricades, bank robberies, hostage takings and the other sorts of emergencies for which SWAT teams were originally intended.

# In Prince George's County, where officials still refuse to admit any mistakes in the Calvo raid, more than half the SWAT deployments were for misdemeanors and what the FBI calls "nonserious felonies," generally meaning minor drug crimes.
Calvo is now helping to push similar legislation in other states. If he succeeds, we will see how often these volatile "dynamic entry" raids are targeted at people suspected only of consensual crimes, says Balko.

Source: Radley Balko, "Swat Stats: Police Transparency," Reason, June 2010.

mjh345
06-14-2010, 10:48 AM
This a follow-up to the Berwyn Heights raid in which the Mayor's two dogs were shot. It's not related to the death of the dogs but does contain some rather interesting statistics.

Eric
*****************
http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=19451&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DPD

http://tinyurl.com/2fh8nbo

# According to an analysis in the Baltimore Sun, 94 percent of the state's SWAT deployments were related to search or arrest warrants, leaving just 6 percent for barricades, bank robberies, hostage takings and the other sorts of emergencies for which SWAT teams were originally intended.

# In Prince George's County, where officials still refuse to admit any mistakes in the Calvo raid, more than half the SWAT deployments were for misdemeanors and what the FBI calls "nonserious felonies," generally meaning minor drug crimes.
.

These are some scary statistics. 94% of SWAT deployments for search and arrest warrants. With over 50% of SWAT deployments for misdemeanors.???
WOW!!!
Hopefully this will shed some light on excessive and overzealous police tactics that are being used throughout this country; and lead to much needed reforms.

It appears as if "The politics of Fear" is alive and well
The 50 or 60 year "War on Drugs" in this country has been a colossal failure.