PDA

View Full Version : Ask The Locals - National Am Info compiled by Randy Hand

FOM
06-14-2010, 04:26 PM
ASK THE LOCALS

Welcome to Klamath Falls. Knowing that most of you are new to the area; we have put together this list hoping it will help during your stay.

Some initial thoughts; most of the Klamath Falls businesses are located on just a few arteries.
*South Sixth is a “main” street carrying you on a diagonal from northwest (Main St) to the southeast (highway 39). There are many services offered on this road.
*Washburn Way is a north-south road that will have many services
*Main Street is the downtown portion of K-Falls.

WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO EAT LUNCH?
*Blondie’s, 5833 South 6th Street (sandwiches)
*Wubba’s, 1745 Austin Street (BBQ stuff, the menu is in the phone book)
*Nibbley’s Cafe, 2650 Washburn Way ](the menu is in the phone book)
*MC’S on Main, 626 Main Street
*Mermaid Garden Cafe, 501 Main Street
*Black Bear Diner, 5140 So 6th St (Blast Sandwich or Cobb Salad)

WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO EAT DINNER?
*Klamath Basin Brewing Co, 1320 Main Street (Tri-Tip and Beer!)
*Roosters Steak House, 205 Main Street (Reservations recommended)
*Sergio’s, 4650South 6th Street, (Mexican Food, Beef Fajitas, chips and salsa)
*MR. B’s Steakhouse, 3927 South 6th St
*Dynasty Restaurant, 106 Main Street (Chinese Food)
*Waldo’s, 610 Main Street(Bar and Grill)
*Tobiko, 618 Main Street (sushi)
*Mazatlan Grill, 2322 Washburn Way (Mexican Food)

BEST “LEAST KNOWN” OR “OUT OF THE WAY” PLACE?
*Rocky Point Resort, Rocky Point (35 min drive, Reservations (541) 356-2242)
*Hospitality Dinner House (Dorris, CA, 20 miles S of K-Falls (530) 397-2097)
*The Dailey Bagel, 636 Main Street (NY Style Pizza, Salmon Sandwich)
*C & D Burger Shop, 1302 Oregon Avenue (owned by local retriever folks)
*Pappy Ganders, in Merrill on the main drag (on Hwy 39)
*Jalapenos Taco Shop, 6504 S. 6th and 3380 Washburn Way

A PLACE TO GET A BEER OR OTHER BEVERAGE
*Klamath Basin Brewing Co, a micro-brewery located at 1320 Main Street (Crater Lake Amber Ale or the Butt Crack Brown), this is also recommended for dinner.
*Mia’s and Pia’s, (a micro-brewery located on Summers Lane (Applegate Trail Pale Ale) Pizza is also served.
*Waldo’s Tavern, 610 Main Street (not a micro-brewery, but serves a lot of it)
* Basin Martini Bar, 632 Main Street

WHERE TO GO FOR CAR/TRUCK REPAIRS?
*Emmett’s Auto Repair, 3515 Washburn Way, (541) 884-6567
*My Mechanic, 3000 Pershing Way (off of So. 6th), (541) 273-5577
*Babcock’s Garage, 1549 Summers Lane, (541) 882-5701

WHAT VET DO YOU USE?
*Klamath Animal Clinic, 2726 South Sixth,PH: (541)882-8854
*Hullman Vet Hospital, 2234 Homedale Rd, PH:(541) 883-3449
*Companion Pet, 2343 Gettle, (Behind Dairy Queen) (541) 882-7674
*South Sixth Vet Clinic, 6837 South 6th, PH: (541) 883-3985
*24 Hour Vet line, Call most vet offices after hours and you will get hooked up with an on-call vet for the area.

WHAT IS THE BEST DAY TRIP FROM KLAMATH FALLS?
*Crater Lake National Park, (about 1 hour north of K- Falls, take a coat)
*Ashland, Oregon, (1 ½ hours to the south-west, restaurants, touristy town)
*Lava Beds National Monument and Captain Jack’s Stronghold, for the history buffs, 45 min south, near Tulelake, California).

WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR DOG FOOD OR DOG SUPPLIES?
*Grange Co-Op, 2525 Washburn Way (Dog Food)
*Big R, 6225 South 6th St (Dog Food, Sporting Goods
*Neumann and Bennett’s, 419 S. Broad Street (Bumpers, whistles)
*Double C Dog Training, 4141 Washburn Way (Dog Food, Leashes, Collars)

RANDOM THOUGHTS:
* If you will need additional help (such as a bird thrower), I may be able to find some 12 -16 year old kids that would work for good tips. I will need a few days notice to arrange for this. Contact Randy @ (541) 884-5393 however e-mail is besthuntinggold@hotmail.com (huntinggold@hotmail.com)

*The closest place to ship in a dog is the Medford Airport (75miles away). If a shuttle is needed, a local retriever enthusiast has advised he will make the trip for a reasonable fee. He needs ample prior notification to do so, Josh @ (541) 974-1460

*There is another major event happening in the K-Falls area beginning the latter half of the week of the Amateur National, we strongly urge you to book a motel early.

*Fishing on the Klamath River is phenomenal this time of year for 1 to 2 pound trout but closes on June 16th. This is open to artificial flies and lures only and is accessible by foot requiring a good hike. Contact Randy for more info huntinggold@hotmail.com (huntinggold@hotmail.com)

*If you are coming out on a shoe-string budget and cannot afford a motel for the whole time, some camping opportunities do exist (Spartan to full hook-up). E-mail me and I will try to help find something to suit you needs, huntinggold@hotmail.com (huntinggold@hotmail.com)

Al VanHoey
06-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Day trips:

Crater Lake:
Stop at the Fish Hatchery on your way up. It is on your right on 62 a couple of miles before Fort Klamath. There is a section of stream that goes through the hatchery grounds with 20# plus wild rainbows (redbands). They have a feeder so that you can chum the waters to see them.

If Rim Drive is open around Crater Lake, take it to the Cleatwood Cove Trailhead. Hike down to the water and go swimming. Be one of the few that you know to swim inside a volcano!

Pelican Butte:
Second highest easily visible mountain from Klamath Falls. If it is not snowed in and you have a 4wd, you can drive all the way to the top. There is a 3 story fire tower on top. You can see the entire Klamath Basin. The views are breath taking!!! Take 140 towards Medford. Turn right on NF 3651(dirt). Just before 3651 ends, turn right on NF 980. There will be a sign about the road not being maintained. Take it slow and you will be fine!

Rogue River Gorge: Near Union Creek, OR. Easy to access trail along 62. Pretty area. Easy to find pumice. Your kids and/or grandkids will get a kick out of these floating rocks!

Avenue of Giant Boulders:
In Prospect, OR. Beautiful day trip. Waterfall after waterfall cascading down into pools. You can be as adventurous or cautious as you like! Nice place to challenge yourself or just to sit and relax with your dog and a book!

Williamson River: The Williamson is well know for HUGE!! trout. It feeds into Klamath Lake / Agency Lake. I lived on Agency Lake. The smallest trout that I caught out of the lake was 16". Most were 20"+. I didn't fish the river but I have been told to take a day with a guide to show you the ropes. There are 15#+ trout taken out of the Williamson every year!

Hope this helps!

Al

Klamath Hunting Gold
06-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for kicking the info in, I do appreciate it and will undoubtedly incorporate it into my working document.

The reason why this thing was built... I was gunning at a trial a little over a year ago and listened to my fellow gunner complain about the service in local restaurants. Unfortunately, too often it is true. I gave him some hints on where to try and then had the little brain child (perhaps hemmorage) of building this list.

The list started because he was complaining about Wingers. Good food (and I like it too) but the service at the time was very slow to damned near non-existant. The service has improved to almost bearable to fair. It did not make the list, but the food is still good. There are numerous big screen tv's to watch the game and they have a good supply of beer. This one is on Washburn way near Wal-Mart.

Another place that did not make the list but is one of my favorites. The place is called Pho Hong and is a Vietnamese joint. To be quite honest the place looks like a dive on the outside and is kind of tacky on the inside. The menu items are hit and miss. My wife hates the place but the kids and I love it. We stick to one item though... Blackbean Chicken over fried rice (medium to medium-high spicey). Dont get white rice as it is just too bland. This is on South Sixth, just west of the intersection of Crater Lake Parkway.

Pizza? I like Abbys and I like the "Hometown Special" or maybe they re-named it to the Hometown Hero. Usually we order what others think they will like and the aforementioned. The hometown one disappears first. The beer list is a little skimpy but do-able.

Randy