PDA

View Full Version : Against Gov. Jindal's Wishes, Crude-Sucking Barges Stopped by Coast Guard

Eric Johnson
06-17-2010, 07:49 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-gov-bobby-jindals-wishes-crude/story?id=10946379

http://tinyurl.com/2ba2ac5

Eight days ago, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal ordered barges to begin vacuuming crude oil out of his state's oil-soaked waters. Today, against the governor's wishes, those barges sat idle, even as more oil flowed toward the Louisiana shore.

Louisiana Governor Jindal frustrated over decision-making red tape. "It's the most frustrating thing," the Republican governor said today in Buras, La. "Literally, yesterday morning we found out that they were halting all of these barges."

Sixteen barges sat stationary today, although they were sucking up thousands of gallons of BP's oil as recently as Tuesday. Workers in hazmat suits and gas masks pumped the oil out of the Louisiana waters and into steel tanks. It was a homegrown idea that seemed to be effective at collecting the thick gunk.

"These barges work. You've seen them work. You've seen them suck oil out of the water," said Jindal.

-more-

huntinman
06-17-2010, 09:21 PM
typical feds. can't see the forest for the trees. More worried about a couple of life jackets than cleaning up the oil.

Hew
06-17-2010, 09:44 PM
It's a good thing that the Obama admin. wasn't in charge of Dunkirk..."Um, gentlemen, the sticker on this boat says a maximum of 5 people or 600 pounds. This boat will not be allowed to leave the beach until 7 of you get off!"

All I can do is echo DNF's sentiments...thank goodness we have a president that the rest of the world likes...because the people in the Gulf region are quickly concluding that he's inept and ineffectual. Collection barges sitting unused waiting for a life jacket inspection only reinforces that perception.

Franco
06-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Add that Adm Thad Allen refused to order those barges back to work until they had the required life jackets.

Downright stupid, those jackets could have been delivered via helicoptor. There are only 200 heli's stationed in Buras!!!

JUst more bureacratic BS. Jindal's frustration stems from the fumbling-bumbling Feds. We would be better off if the Feds just stayed out of our way!

blind ambition
06-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Add that Adm Thad Allen refused to order those barges back to work until they had the required life jackets.

Downright stupid, those jackets could have been delivered via helicoptor. There are only 200 heli's stationed in Buras!!!

JUst more bureacratic BS. Jindal's frustration stems from the fumbling-bumbling Feds. We would be better off if the Feds just stayed out of our way!

Tell me why an intelligent seafarer would ship out without a life vest in the first place?

charly_t
06-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Tell me why an intelligent seafarer would ship out without a life vest in the first place?

Just guessing but maybe the term "approved life vest" might be what is holding things up. Bet they had life vests.

Government Mule again. Nerve but no common sense.

Gerry Clinchy
06-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Fire extinguishers were also mentioned.

And the barges were on their way back to work when I read the article last night.

We are complaining that the Feds did not enforce safety regs on the oil-drillers ... we'd be doing the same thing if something happened to some people working on those barges due to overlooking safety regs.

I think I'll cut the CG a break on doing their job to protect lives.

ducknwork
06-18-2010, 06:21 AM

I think in a situation such as this (an emergency) I would take my chances until someone delivered the goods to the boat later. (perhaps via heli as franco suggested)

If I was putting my boat in the water and saw a boat full of people sinking in the middle of the river, I would not wait until I loaded up the life jackets and other safety gear before I ran out to them and tried to help them.

paul young
06-18-2010, 06:28 AM
it's probably just another plot by Obama and his all-democrat coast guard.....

taking chances is what precipitated this fiasco.

a very good friend of mine is down there with the Coast Guard cleaning up. cut him and the others trying to help a little slack.

huntinman
06-18-2010, 07:09 AM
it's probably just another plot by Obama and his all-democrat coast guard.....

taking chances is what precipitated this fiasco.

a very good friend of mine is down there with the Coast Guard cleaning up. cut him and the others trying to help a little slack.

Maybe they should have considered cutting the barge operator a little slack. Whats more important, cleaning up the oil or meeting a gov't regulation?

david gibson
06-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Maybe they should have considered cutting the barge operator a little slack. Whats more important, cleaning up the oil or meeting a gov't regulation?

gotta go against you on this one. isnt "cutting a little slack" by MMS what contributed to this whole mess to begin with? as has been said, let one accident happen without sufficient life jackets and you know how the fingers would point. whats more important, cleaning up a little oil or making sure a man doesnt drown if he falls overboard? the USCG did the right thing, but it shouldnt have even come down to that. life jacket regulations are well known.

Hew
06-18-2010, 08:28 AM
From the article:

The Coast Guard needed to confirm that there were fire extinguishers and life vests on board, and then it had trouble contacting the people who built the barges.

It doesn't say that the barges didn't have fire extinguishers or life vests. It doesn't say that they didn't have the right kind/quantity of fire extinguishers or life vests. It says that the Coast Guard hadn't confirmed it...implying the onus was on the USCG to act; not the barge captains. Comparing life jacket regs to blow out preventers seems rather silly...or should we also wring our hands with worry about astronauts who speed in their cars while driving to the space shuttle launch pad?

It's called triage...you address the most important things first. What's more important at the moment...collecting spilled oil or nitpicking nautical regulations? This is the exact kind of bullsh!t that Jindal and a host of other people are complaining about down there....a lack of coordination and various governmental organizations more worried about protecting their turf and making sure that their toes aren't stepped on than stopping/cleaning up the gd oil.

Franco
06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
In an emergency such as this, you don't tie-up 16 vaccum barges because they don't have the right kind of life perservers. Those could have been airlifted.

What outsiders don't understand is that we are fighting a war! As soon as assets hit the area, they are deployed. Instead of having all those vaccum barges sit, they could have been at work until the "approved" life vest were airlifted!

dnf777
06-18-2010, 08:32 AM
It certainly does sound like someone couldn't prioritize properly!
Don't throw a drowning person a life jacket until you check that the label is properly affixed and there's no stains or blemishes on the fabric??

Not to pick on the USCG, but having spent time in the army, I'm not in the least surprised that some desk jocky in a basement cubicle 1000 miles away could put a hold on an operation until he can check off all his little boxes....or some equally ridiculous scenario.

Buzz
06-18-2010, 08:38 AM
It certainly does sound like someone couldn't prioritize properly!
Don't throw a drowning person a life jacket until you check that the label is properly affixed and there's no stains or blemishes on the fabric??

Not to pick on the USCG, but having spent time in the army, I'm not in the least surprised that some desk jocky in a basement cubicle 1000 miles away could put a hold on an operation until he can check off all his little boxes....or some equally ridiculous scenario.

Nothing like consistency. On this thread the conservatives are arguing to throw regs out the window. On another thread they are arguing against an escrow fund and for due process.

The truth is, everyone is guessing about what actually happened. I have a childhood buddy who joined the coast guard back in 1977 and is now one of the highest ranking officers in the organization. He has been a life long republican, and he isn't taking all the criticism of the coast guard and Thad Allen too well. I think he's beginning to see the light.