PDA

View Full Version : read this if you want to be scared

paul young
06-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Here's a link to the whole story on the Gulf leak.
It's long....and scary.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6593/648967

depittydawg
06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Here's a link to the whole story on the Gulf leak.
It's long....and scary.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6593/648967

2.5 billion Barrels of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. that is a very bad assessment.

david gibson
06-28-2010, 10:54 AM
nothing new to me. we have known all along there is subsurface failure, thats why they started drilling the relief wells almost immediately. is it certain they will work? no, but its a very good chance. will it stop it all? maybe, maybe not, depends on the well integrity at that depth, but it should at least stop the majority and then the surface leak will be small enough to deal with.

wait and see is all we can do....

dnf777
06-28-2010, 10:55 AM
That is very scary indeed. It seems to becoming a reality that this will just have to bleed out. If that's the case, why isn't every other capable rig drilling into this reserve (or 4 reserves) and trying to suck out as much as possible. David, is it fair to say that every gallon a rig can pump or suck out is one less gallon that will eventually leak out?

On a related note, why aren't the engineers and executives responsible for the decisions that led to this crime in jail, pending trial? I can see 11 counts of negligent homicide, and whatever the billions of dollars in damages amounts to criminally? If you or I get caught dumping motor oil down a storm drain, we'd be in more trouble than BP execs currently are!

Franco
06-28-2010, 11:01 AM
If the relief wells do not halt the leak this disaster will affect more than just the GOM area.

I noticed there was nothing mentioned in the story regarding a nuclear option to cave in the sands. They must not think it a viable option.

M&K's Retrievers
06-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Wow, that blows! No pun intended.

david gibson
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
That is very scary indeed. It seems to becoming a reality that this will just have to bleed out. If that's the case, why isn't every other capable rig drilling into this reserve (or 4 reserves) and trying to suck out as much as possible. David, is it fair to say that every gallon a rig can pump or suck out is one less gallon that will eventually leak out?

On a related note, why aren't the engineers and executives responsible for the decisions that led to this crime in jail, pending trial? I can see 11 counts of negligent homicide, and whatever the billions of dollars in damages amounts to criminally? If you or I get caught dumping motor oil down a storm drain, we'd be in more trouble than BP execs currently are!

sounds good, but it would be like everyone here in potus trying to empty an olympic pool with soda straws. not enough to come close.

i have a lot of faith in the relief wells. the fact that they started them immediately, knowing it will take months and knowing the cost, shows they knew from the start it was the best option. in the meantime, try everything else - unfortunately, if you try 10 things each with a 10% success rate it in no way means 1 out of 10 will work. its just a 10% chance each time.

and you know courts take time. they need a lot more evidence to know exactly who to point the fingers at, and right now its second fiddle to stopping this damn thing. plenty of time to get them later

david gibson
06-28-2010, 12:14 PM
If the relief wells do not halt the leak this disaster will affect more than just the GOM area.

I noticed there was nothing mentioned in the story regarding a nuclear option to cave in the sands. They must not think it a viable option.

do we know if its unconsolidated sands or sandstone? lots of pressure that deep, even unconsolidated its going to be packed pretty hard and tight, and an explosion in the well would first expand out, potentially just making a cavern down there.

maybe 3 explosions outside the well on all sides to force everything from outside in to collapse the well, but thats never been done.

Buzz
06-28-2010, 12:17 PM
do we know if its unconsolidated sands or sandstone? lots of pressure that deep, even unconsolidated its going to be packed pretty hard and tight, and an explosion in the well would first expand out, potentially just making a cavern down there.

maybe 3 explosions outside the well on all sides to force everything from outside in to collapse the well, but thats never been done.

I saw very similar comments from a NYU physicist. He was concerned that blowing it up could result in a completely unstoppable leak.

depittydawg
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM

I read an analysis of that recently that basically said it is so risky that its not even on the table.

road kill
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM

Uhhh....because your idealogue banned it??:rolleyes:

Just a guess.

rk

dnf777
06-28-2010, 02:23 PM
sounds good, but it would be like everyone here in potus trying to empty an olympic pool with soda straws. not enough to come close.

If that pool were filled with a good beer, I'd give us a fightin' chance!

david gibson
06-28-2010, 02:28 PM
If that pool were filled with a good beer, I'd give us a fightin' chance!

you would drink good beer through a straw..... ;-)