PDA

View Full Version : Military Stories

Roger Perry
06-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Do any of you have any interesting military stories?

I was a squad leader in basic training in the U.S. Navy at Great Lakes naval station in 1965. After about 6 weeks or so we had a liberty pass for a weekend day. We were allowed to take the train to either Chicago or Milwaukee. Being the good squad leader I was, I asked a few people in my squad to stay on the train until the next stop, my home town of West Bend which was 30 miles up the line. When we got there, I used my Mother's car to take the squad to a "picnic" in Newberg, Wisconsin. As we arrived at the beer tent (Wisconsin law at the time was 18 years old to drink beer) we heard the Polka band leader say "free beer for the Navy". What the heck, draft beers were only 15 cents at the time anyway, so we indulged ourself with some free beer.

Later that afternoon, we had to go back and catch the train back to base. When we arrived back at base, we had to go through a tunnel where an officer was smelling those returning to base for any alcohol on our breath. Well, don't you know those of us that had a "few beers" were singled out. I had to have a long talk with my drill instructor and I asked my drill instructor not to punish the squad members, as we were all over 18 years old and it was legal for them to drink beer. The thing was, we were only allowed to go 60 miles to either Chicago or Milwaukee and West Bend was 90 miles away. My drill instrustor granted my request so I had to do the extra duty not only for me but I had to do the extra duty for my squad members that went also.

Oh, well, we all had a good time and no one was worse for wear except me with all the push ups, running, had to hold my hands out with a rifle on the back of my hands and whatever else I had to do for extra duty.

Buzz
06-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I didn't realize that liberals served in the military. I figured they were all deadbeats and terrorists. :rolleyes:

Didn't have to clean the latrine with a tooth brush?

Roger Perry
06-28-2010, 02:36 PM
I didn't realize that liberals served in the military. I figured they were all deadbeats and terrorists. :rolleyes:

Didn't have to clean the latrine with a tooth brush?

No, my drill instructor had a laugh about me taking the squad members home but had to dicipline me some kind of way to make the officers happy.

BonMallari
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
closest I got was being born at a US Army base in Heidelberg Germany while my dad was stationed there..My dad was the recipient of the Bronze Star and the Silver Star w/gallantry for his exploits in the Philippines during WWII...

his old outfit the Philippine Scouts part of the 26th Calvary, later detached to the First Armored Division at Fort Hood , Killeen Texas

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/campOD3.jpg

M&K's Retrievers
06-28-2010, 03:25 PM
closest I got was being born at a US Army base in Heidelberg Germany while my dad was stationed there..My dad was the recipient of the Bronze Star and the Silver Star w/gallantry for his exploits in the Philippines during WWII...

his old outfit the Philippine Scouts part of the 26th Calvary, later detached to the First Armored Division at Fort Hood , Killeen Texas

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t319/bonmallari/campOD3.jpg

My Dad also served in the Philippine Islands I'm guessing about the same time. He was in the Sea Bees.

BonMallari
06-28-2010, 03:36 PM
My Dad also served in the Philippine Islands I'm guessing about the same time. He was in the Sea Bees.

I bet our dad's would have had a great time swapping stories...:D..as would their sons

Franco
06-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Both my father and his brother fought for the liberation of the Philippines in the U S Army & U S Navy including the battle of Manila. In fact, when my father died in 1990, he left me some paintings by Armosolo.

DSO
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
My daughter graduated High School yesterday. The school instituted a new program called "Operation Recognition". It's a nation wide program that allows soldiers that did not graduate because they were fighting for our country to receive their HS Diploma. 3 Men from our area received their diplomas. One of them was my father in law who fought in the Korean War. He decided not to walk during the graduation ceremony. 2 other soldiers from the Vietnam war did walk and were recognized individually for their service. They received a long and well deserved standing ovation. After the ceremony I had the chance to congratulate one of them. I simply said "Congratulations, and thank you for your service". His eyes welled up as he said "thank you". I wasn't doing much better as I walked away. Great stuff and great job by our HS to put this in place.

Danny

M&K's Retrievers
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I bet our dad's would have had a great time swapping stories...:D..as would their sons

I just ran across some Japanese and Philippine paper money my Dad brought home as well as some script for $.10 printed on what looks like old news paper. He told me once that they were sometimes paid in script.

road kill
06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Do any of you have any interesting military stories?

I was a squad leader in basic training in the U.S. Navy at Great Lakes naval station in 1965. After about 6 weeks or so we had a liberty pass for a weekend day. We were allowed to take the train to either Chicago or Milwaukee. Being the good squad leader I was, I asked a few people in my squad to stay on the train until the next stop, my home town of West Bend which was 30 miles up the line. When we got there, I used my Mother's car to take the squad to a "picnic" in Newberg, Wisconsin. As we arrived at the beer tent (Wisconsin law at the time was 18 years old to drink beer) we heard the Polka band leader say "free beer for the Navy". What the heck, draft beers were only 15 cents at the time anyway, so we indulged ourself with some free beer.

Later that afternoon, we had to go back and catch the train back to base. When we arrived back at base, we had to go through a tunnel where an officer was smelling those returning to base for any alcohol on our breath. Well, don't you know those of us that had a "few beers" were singled out. I had to have a long talk with my drill instructor and I asked my drill instructor not to punish the squad members, as we were all over 18 years old and it was legal for them to drink beer. The thing was, we were only allowed to go 60 miles to either Chicago or Milwaukee and West Bend was 90 miles away. My drill instrustor granted my request so I had to do the extra duty not only for me but I had to do the extra duty for my squad members that went also.

Oh, well, we all had a good time and no one was worse for wear except me with all the push ups, running, had to hold my hands out with a rifle on the back of my hands and whatever else I had to do for extra duty.

My stories would be way to lame compared to this exciting "sortie!!":(

rk

dnf777
06-30-2010, 06:55 PM
While at the NTC at Ft. Irwin, a certain superior female officer and I snuck away from our bivouac and sweet talked the clerk at the visiting officers quarters to give us a room without the proper TDY orders. (not just a room, but a DV Pershing Suite) Once we secured that, we reconed some cheap wine (TurningLeaf Merlot) and had a great night in the "field". Little did I know we'd be swappin rings and still training dogs together 10 years later.....

BonMallari
06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
While at the NTC at Ft. Irwin, a certain superior female officer and I snuck away from our bivouac and sweet talked the clerk at the visiting officers quarters to give us a room without the proper TDY orders. (not just a room, but a DV Pershing Suite) Once we secured that, we reconed some cheap wine (TurningLeaf Merlot) and had a great night in the "field". Little did I know we'd be swappin rings and still training dogs together 10 years later.....

when my dad was stationed at FT Irwin (it was still a designated as a camp) our family's living quarters looked like an internment camp...my brothers and sisters tell me horror stories of how cold it got during the winter and how hot it was in the summer...Fort Irwin is located some 20 miles off interstate 15 in Barstow Calif near San Bernardino...