PDA

View Full Version : A Question For David Gibson

Franco
06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
I just heard that one of the relief wells is within 20 feet of the hole, at the desired depth. Yet, they are saying it will take another 5 weeks to intersect with it.

What's up with that?

david gibson
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I just heard that one of the relief wells is within 20 feet of the hole, at the desired depth. Yet, they are saying it will take another 5 weeks to intersect with it.

What's up with that?

i dunno...i heard it was close, but not THAT close! i say hoorah
!

my guess is this: this is serious shit here, and to be able to drill THAT far THAT accurately THAT fast already is ASTOUNDING! so, i think they went with their best technology to get there quickly, setting only near surface casing along the way. now they know they are there. BUT, like i said to do that means a very quick drilling method with little or no sequential casing. in other words, lets get the GD bit there quick to prove we can do it. they probably used extremely heavy mud ensuring an open hole all the way, and since they have the original well logs as data they knew they could risk this. otherwise - use too heavy of a mud, you risk losing it in a weaker shallower formation and therefore the deeper formation - well, blows out. again. they knew that so here they had good data to proceed in a heavy manner.

usually you use a 36" bit, then 30", then 24", then 18", then 12", then 8", etc -(dont hold me to the numbers, you get the idea) setting casing all the way to cement it in. this cement is what failed in the original well, by the way.

so here they just drilled to "rendevous", they know they are there, but its not a viable well. now they can go back in and open the new hole up to be able to get more and more mud in, and set telescopic casing to support it as described above, and then shut the damn thing off. this will take the 5 weeks they claim. but its HIGH probability of success! - because they know they are there

this is good news guys - not out of the woods by any means, oil will continue to flow until they plug it, but they have set the stage for success. like i said earlier, they knew this from day one, they set the wheels in motion knowing this was the only real chance of success - and by the way, magnitudes more expensive than the other attempts, again showing they knew this was the best chance. and in the meantime tried all the far-fetched ideas. lets hope it keeps up!

if this doesnt make sense just ask me to clarify wherever, but to me this is a pinhole of light at the end of the tunnel.....

Franco
06-28-2010, 07:42 PM
i dunno...i heard it was close, but not THAT close! i say hoorah
!

my guess is this: this is serious shit here, and to be able to drill THAT far THAT accurately THAT fast already is ASTOUNDING! so, i think they went with their best technology to get there quickly, setting only near surface casing along the way. now they know they are there. BUT, like i said to do that means a very quick drilling method with little or no sequential casing. in other words, lets get the GD bit there quick to prove we can do it. they probably used extremely heavy mud ensuring an open hole all the way, and since they have the original well logs as data they knew they could risk this. otherwise - use too heavy of a mud, you risk losing it in a weaker shallower formation and therefore the deeper formation - well, blows out. again. they knew that so here they had good data to proceed in a heavy manner.

usually you use a 36" bit, then 30", then 24", then 18", then 12", then 8", etc -(dont hold me to the numbers, you get the idea) setting casing all the way to cement it in. this cement is what failed in the original well, by the way.

so here they just drilled to "rendevous", they know they are there, but its not a viable well. now they can go back in and open the new hole up to be able to get more and more mud in, and set telescopic casing to support it as described above, and then shut the damn thing off. this will take the 5 weeks they claim. but its HIGH probability of success! - because they know they are there

this is good news guys - not out of the woods by any means, oil will continue to flow until they plug it, but they have set the stage for success. like i said earlier, they knew this from day one, they set the wheels in motion knowing this was the only real chance of success - and by the way, magnitudes more expensive than the other attempts, again showing they knew this was the best chance. and in the meantime tried all the far-fetched ideas. lets hope it keeps up!

if this doesnt make sense just ask me to clarify wherever, but to me this is a pinhole of light at the end of the tunnel.....

It makes plenty of sense with no casing in the hole. Hopefully, this time they'll use Frank's Casing Crews, the second biggest in the world to do it.

BTW, both drilling operators this time are Cajuns. Fruge(fru jay) on Relief 1 and Guidry on Relief 2.

david gibson
06-28-2010, 09:42 PM
It makes plenty of sense with no casing in the hole. Hopefully, this time they'll use Frank's Casing Crews, the second biggest in the world to do it.

BTW, both drilling operators this time are Cajuns. Fruge(fru jay) on Relief 1 and Guidry on Relief 2.

OMG Franks Casing Crew! them GD cajun bastids stole a few bucks from me playing some stupid game called "Bourré". seemed like when they won a hand, they won all your money, and win you win a hand, they still win your money because the rule that caused them to win is backwards when you win so then they really win again.

and liquor only made it worse................................. ;-)

dnf777
06-28-2010, 09:43 PM

According to my friend who is in sales for Frank's casing, they did install the casing on the first well.

david gibson
06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
According to my friend who is in sales for Frank's casing, they did install the casing on the first well.

i am sure they did. but, thats exactly what they did, install the casing. they were not responsible for the borehole they installed it in. they just bring it out, screw it together, and oversee it being lowered it in.

and halliburton, under the direction of the BP company man, were responsible for making sure it was cemented in place correctly.

thats all there is to say about that.

depittydawg
06-28-2010, 09:48 PM

Frank's Casing, sounds like a sausage company. Do they have Boudin? :D:D

david gibson
06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Frank's Casing, sounds like a sausage company. Do they have Boudin? :D:D

thats "boudain", actually, its "MR. boudain" to you, sir.

and i guaran - dang - tee you franks casing crew knows boudain!

i gots a few links of the classic red blood boudain in the freezer right now - thanks for remindin me!

dnf777
06-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Damn. I forgot how much I missed that nasty stuff!
On tube of boudain, one sleeve of saltines, and a bottle of tobasco.....now THAT's a well-balanced meal!

david gibson
06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Damn. I forgot how much I missed that nasty stuff!
On tube of boudain, one sleeve of saltines, and a bottle of tobasco.....now THAT's a well-balanced meal!

but have you had the real sheeeeet, the red boudain? from what i hear only one place in La. has a permit to make it now.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

couple of links of boudain and some prime gator strips on the grill makes some mighty fine eatin.........

Franco
06-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Frank's may have set the casing but, BP selected the casing to use.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7137865.ece

Maybe this time they'll let Frank's use the appropriate casing.

By the way, Frank's was founded by and still owned by the Mosing family, Krauts by origin.;-)

They just became coonasses after living here for the last 100 years.

dnf777
06-28-2010, 10:18 PM
but have you had the real sheeeeet, the red boudain? from what i hear only one place in La. has a permit to make it now.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

couple of links of boudain and some prime gator strips on the grill makes some mighty fine eatin.........

No, but I'll take your word for it. What is special about the red? Why a permit?

Franco
06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Oh, and I've played a game of Bourre with them a time or two.

Red Boudin is made with lots of cayenne pepper, hence the permit.

M&K's Retrievers
06-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Guys, some of that shit tastes like Fido's ass:D:D.

david gibson
06-29-2010, 06:01 AM
No, but I'll take your word for it. What is special about the red? Why a permit?

its made with pig blood and has to have special inspections. not sure if what i got was :noir" or "rouge", but here are the descriptions:

"It isn't an easily made recipe due to lack of sources for absolutely fresh ingredients. Cajun families who still do their own butchering continue to make red boudin, but otherwise it's seldom available anywhere commercially."

* Boudin blanc: A white sausage made of pork without the blood. Pork liver and heart meat are typically included. In Cajun versions, the sausage is made from a pork rice dressing, (much like dirty rice) which is stuffed into pork casings. Rice is always used in Cajun cuisine, whereas the French/Belgian version typically uses milk, and is therefore generally more delicate than the Cajun variety. In French/Belgian cuisine, the sausage is sauteed or grilled. The Louisiana version is normally simmered or braised, although coating with oil and slow grilling for tailgating is becoming a popular option in New Orleans and Baton Rouge.
* Boudin noir: A dark-hued blood sausage, containing pork, pig blood, and other ingredients. Variants of the boudin noir occur in French, Belgian, Cajun and Catalan cuisine. The Catalan version of the boudin noir is called botifarra negra.

* Boudin rouge: In Louisiana cuisine, a sausage similar to boudin blanc, but with pork blood added to it. It originated from the French boudin noir.

bobbyb
06-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks David
You took the words right out of my mouth !!
BobbyB
cajun-at-large

Buzz
06-30-2010, 09:01 AM
I saw an interview last night that explained the 20 feet from the wellhead thing. They are drilling at an angle trying to intercept the wellhead hear where it breaks into the oil reservoir. They said that they are 20 feet from the wellhead measured horizontally. But since they are drilling on an angle, they will need to drill another 900 feet to intersect the original well. That works out to an angle of about 1.27˚.

Franco
06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I saw an interview last night that explained the 20 feet from the wellhead thing. They are drilling at an angle trying to intercept the wellhead hear where it breaks into the oil reservoir. They said that they are 20 feet from the wellhead measured horizontally. But since they are drilling on an angle, they will need to drill another 900 feet to intersect the original well. That works out to an angle of about 1.27˚.

Here's the visual;

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/primary_relief_well_edges_clos.html

Sean H
07-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Here's a video explaining the process.

http://bp.concerts.com/gom/kwellsreliefwells062710.htm