PDA

View Full Version : Dell Computer Lawsuit

Gerry Clinchy
06-29-2010, 07:59 AM
NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?pagewanted=1&th&emc=th

A lesson on how to ruin your business reputation

When I purchased my most recent computer, my computer repairman referred me to a local company, and one of the points he made was that all their internals were made in the U.S.

When will the U.S. consumer & businesses realize that quality is worth something ... most especially in durable goods like a computer that is responsible for maintaining critical data.

Sabireley
06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
It is hard to fault Dell for the original problem. Nichicon is one of the largest manufacturers of capacitors and are used by many electronics manufacturers around the world. They probably use many different Nichicon caps in their products, but one particular value had the leaking problem. That said, Dell's response was the real problem. Once they identified the issue, they should have been more proactive in notifying consumers and fixing it. Based on the article, is sounds like there are some shennanigans going on inside Dell that extend beyond this issue.

dnf777
06-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Yet another case of the REaction being worse than the ACTION. When will they ever learn? Whatever happened to Gateway and their famous cow-print boxes? They seemed king of the hill until Dell unthroned them.

Gerry Clinchy
06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
It is hard to fault Dell for the original problem. Nichicon is one of the largest manufacturers of capacitors and are used by many electronics manufacturers around the world. They probably use many different Nichicon caps in their products, but one particular value had the leaking problem. That said, Dell's response was the real problem. Once they identified the issue, they should have been more proactive in notifying consumers and fixing it. Based on the article, is sounds like there are some shennanigans going on inside Dell that extend beyond this issue.

Would have to figure that Nichicon also realized their was something wrong with their product? Why would Dell not inform them of the findings?

And, yes, no excuse for Dell to not be up-front on the defect.

Cody Covey
06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
NY Times

A lesson on how to ruin your business reputation

When I purchased my most recent computer, my computer repairman referred me to a local company, and one of the points he made was that all their internals were made in the U.S.

When will the U.S. consumer & businesses realize that quality is worth something ... most especially in durable goods like a computer that is responsible for maintaining critical data.
Which company? As far as I'm aware there are no computer companies where all parts are made in the U.S. This really will do nothing to Dell's business in any real measurable way. Dell sells more computers than anyone for a reason.

Work IT in a company with over 200 dell computers on site and never a single problem...thats a pretty good record and know MANY sites that have done the same.

YardleyLabs
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Dell used to make a good computer and I arranged purchases of more than 2000 in my own and in clients' companies. Quality collapsed and I began building my own machines instead.

depittydawg
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Which company? As far as I'm aware there are no computer companies where all parts are made in the U.S. This really will do nothing to Dell's business in any real measurable way. Dell sells more computers than anyone for a reason.

Work IT in a company with over 200 dell computers on site and never a single problem...thats a pretty good record and know MANY sites that have done the same.

I've owned a lot of different PC's and frankly, other than the Toshiba Laptop I have right now every brand has had some quality issues. Other than Toshiba if you want a laptop, I'd buy the best deal out there regardless of brand and cross your fingers.

Henry V
06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
NY Times
I appreciate your concern Gerry but the answer to your question is "never". For consumers mostly all that matters these days is the cost of the product whether it is durable goods, electronics, or even food. As long as it is cheap, who cares how long it lasts because you can just buy a new one with more features and a lower cost the next time. For producers of many goods all that matters is the bottom line which means sales must grow. Keeping cost down to sell more while accepting a little more risk of failure is apparently a worthy trade off. The markets have already decided this, haven't they? What's the problem?

Cody Covey
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Dell used to make a good computer and I arranged purchases of more than 2000 in my own and in clients' companies. Quality collapsed and I began building my own machines instead.
You build machines when doing orders for 2000 clients? Sure i do that at home and for friends but even in the organization I'm in we just don't have the time to be able to build machines for our users.

Oh and are you looking for a consultant Jeff? I wouldn't mind the move to PA haha :)

YardleyLabs
06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
You build machines when doing orders for 2000 clients? Sure i do that at home and for friends but even in the organization I'm in we just don't have the time to be able to build machines for our users.

Oh and are you looking for a consultant Jeff? I wouldn't mind the move to PA haha :)
I only build for myself now and I sold my consulting company three years ago. The only people I hire now are occasional models for photo shoots and even then I seldom pay with anything but copies of pictures. How are your legs?:)

Cody Covey
06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Let's just say i keep warm in the winter :)