PDA

View Full Version : I DARE You to Read This!!

road kill
07-04-2010, 07:52 AM
How many of you ever have?
What does this mean to you?

Have a GREAT INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/07/july-4-declaration-of-independence-text.html

stan b

dnf777
07-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Thank you RK! You are a gentleman and a Patriot.

I read the Constitution probably once every couple of years, but it has been a good long while since reading the DoI. I would also add the Gettysburg Address as required reading, no matter what side you were on!

Have a happy and safe and MEANINGFUL 4th!

ps...I've never heard of Amiena, but that gal can belt out a tune!

road kill
07-04-2010, 08:08 AM
In 1972 I was in the Honor Guard for the U.S. Coast Guard in Groton CT.
I carried the Coast Guard flag on the decks of the Coast Guard Cutter EAGLE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_(WIX-327)

The USCG brass band played Sousa type songs as well as the national anthem.

1 of my proudest days!!
My hair still stands on end as I think of it!!!!!

rk

zeus3925
07-04-2010, 08:13 AM
So you're a former Coastie, RK? My brother played in the USCG band.

road kill
07-04-2010, 08:31 AM
So you're a former Coastie, RK? My brother played in the USCG band.

In 1972?
Maybe he was there?

stan b

fetchtx
07-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I was stationed two years at groton/new london at sub base early sixtys, great time.

sinner
07-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Have a GREAT INDEPENDENCE DAY!
Thank you for this posting.
Helped me stomach the rest of the drivel in Potus Place!

Leddyman
07-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Try this too.

http://www.breitbart.tv/understanding-the-declaration-of-independence/

Semper Fi.

M&K's Retrievers
07-04-2010, 09:46 AM
You could almost replace the King with Obama in the DOI and have a new meaningful document.:(

BrianW
07-04-2010, 10:39 AM
This e-mail fwd is often circulated at this time as well.

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons
serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their
sacred honor. What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: Freedom is never free!

Before someone dissects this, even if all the details may not accurate, the sentiments still weigh heavily.

I thank all those who have sacrificed so much to establish & defend our rights of debating our thoughts and feelings here, even when we disagree mightily on those views. It's my priviledge to to talk with you all. May Divine Providence keep you all safe on this glorious day in the best country known yet by mankind.

dnf777
07-04-2010, 10:57 AM
You could almost replace the King with Obama in the DOI and have a new meaningful document.:(

Somebody HAD to inject partisan politics and attacks into Fourth of July well-wishes. Thanks!

zeus3925
07-04-2010, 12:24 PM
In 1972?
Maybe he was there?

stan b

He was there earlier. Prior TO '67

M&K's Retrievers
07-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Somebody HAD to inject partisan politics and attacks into Fourth of July well-wishes. Thanks!

No charge. Chill out. It is just an observation. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Bubba
07-04-2010, 02:25 PM
In 1972 I was in the Honor Guard for the U.S. Coast Guard in Groton CT.
I carried the Coast Guard flag on the decks of the Coast Guard Cutter EAGLE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_(WIX-327)

The USCG brass band played Sousa type songs as well as the national anthem.

1 of my proudest days!!
My hair still stands on end as I think of it!!!!!

rk

Small world. I was assigned to the USS Narwhal SSN-671 in Groton in 1972- 1975 and have many fond memories of the Eagle. Damn few manmade things are as majestic as a tall ship under full sail.

Steve Elliott IC 1 (SS) regards

Bubba

caryalsobrook
07-04-2010, 03:24 PM
This e-mail fwd is often circulated at this time as well.

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons
serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their
sacred honor. What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: Freedom is never free!

Before someone dissects this, even if all the details may not accurate, the sentiments still weigh heavily.

I thank all those who have sacrificed so much to establish & defend our rights of debating our thoughts and feelings here, even when we disagree mightily on those views. It's my priviledge to to talk with you all. May Divine Providence keep you all safe on this glorious day in the best country known yet by mankind.

The best post I have read on this forum:)