PDA

View Full Version : mel gibson - racist rant?

subroc
07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Is this audio a racist rant?

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/07/world-exclusive-audio-mel-gibsons-explosive-racist-rant-listen-it-here

lizard55033
07-10-2010, 11:59 AM
He's definately off his rocker...

YardleyLabs
07-10-2010, 01:01 PM
The speech is not a racist rant because race/ethnicity enters into it only tangentially. However, the man is a bigoted a$$, in addition to being more than a little crazy and possibly dangerous. The manner in which he casually laces his comments with derogatory ethnic terms is less the issue than the fact that he defines his insults around the ethnicity of those Oksana is enticing by her dress -- not is she just dressing provocatively, she is dressing in a way that will make he attractive to blacks. I enjoy him as an actor, but as a person he is a miserable SOB. I voted "Other".

Cody Covey
07-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I think that some here believe there is no such thing as racism. When someone says "Get raped by a pack of N***ers" and someone can vote no not racist at all i think that is odd. Could one of you who voted this way explain why?

subroc
07-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I think that some here believe there is no such thing as racism. When someone says "Get raped by a pack of N***ers" and someone can vote no not racist at all i think that is odd. Could one of you who voted this way explain why?

Yes, I will explain. It may have been a "racial epithet" to describe a racial group, but the rant wasn't racially/ethnically motivated. If anything it was sexually motivated. He appeard to be at a loss for words to call her a harlot.

Now I will ask you, is every utterance of a racial epithet racially motivated or a racist rant?

One other thing, do you believe that "hate speech" is deserving of additional punishments.

road kill
07-10-2010, 03:54 PM
The speech is not a racist rant because race/ethnicity enters into it only tangentially. However, the man is a bigoted a$$, in addition to being more than a little crazy and possibly dangerous. The manner in which he casually laces his comments with derogatory ethnic terms is less the issue than the fact that he defines his insults around the ethnicity of those Oksana is enticing by her dress -- not is she just dressing provocatively, she is dressing in a way that will make he attractive to blacks. I enjoy him as an actor, but as a person he is a miserable SOB. I voted "Other".

WHAT???? :confused:

rk

BonMallari
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
we all tend to forget that the real Mel Gibson is not officer Martin Riggs, he is not some Scottish kilt wearing freedom fighter, nor some futuristic Road warrior...we THINK we know who he is, but maybe his real personna is starting to appear...after all how many of us thought that Tiger was squeaky clean before the Escalade incident :rolleyes:

subroc
07-10-2010, 04:07 PM
BonMallari

I expect he is a dirt bag, I just wanted to look at this partcular incident in itself. Other issues of Gibson aside, how do my fellow Americans view this particular episode against the headline?

YardleyLabs
07-10-2010, 05:18 PM
WHAT???? :confused:

rk
From the transcript, Gibson says, "You're an embarrassment to me. You look like a f***ing bitch in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n***ers, it will be your fault."

What has the color of the "rapists" have to do with anything? Obviously in Gibson's eyes it makes a difference.

Cody Covey
07-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes, I will explain. It may have been a "racial epithet" to describe a racial group, but the rant wasn't racially/ethnically motivated. If anything it was sexually motivated. He appeard to be at a loss for words to call her a harlot.

Now I will ask you, is every utterance of a racial epithet racially motivated or a racist rant?

One other thing, do you believe that "hate speech" is deserving of additional punishments.I don't think that hate speech deserves any punishment what so ever. Unless it takes the turn towards threats.And i actually agree with you but i selected other because while it wasn't a racist rant as the subject when he inserted racial epithets in there it became racist...not racial. We really don't disagree just voted on an internet poll differently differently

BrianW
07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
When someone says "Get raped by a pack of N***ers" and someone can vote no not racist at all i think that is odd. Could one of you who voted this way explain why?
Without being inside Gibson's head ( a place I don't want to be be), how do we "know" that he is intending the definition usually attributed to 1 & 2 below:
1 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a black person
2 usually offensive; see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race
3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nigger#) niggers…all the people who feel left out of the political process — Ron Dellums>
Note that a black man uses the term in other than the customary sense in 3 (from Merriam Websters)

Personally I think it's more misogynistic than racist.

Blackstone
07-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I would agree that the rant itself was more Misogynistic in nature, with Gibson's own special brand of racism thrown in for good measure. That is not surprising given his previous anti-Semitic remarks and his recent derogatory remarks about Hispanics. I guess Mr. Gibson just wants to make sure he covers all the bases. I wonder who he will insult next. Personally, I think he is a pretty despicable and pathetic excuse for a human being.

Hew
07-11-2010, 03:57 AM
I'm disappointed he didn't call her "sugartits" like the cop. Mel can sure turn a word. ;)

It's kinda funny that the public seems to be fairly forgiving of Gibson and his career will likely not be totally tanked, but Michael Richards (Kramer from "Seinfeld") fell into a bottomless pit.

david gibson
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
you have to remember he is Australian, although his tenure here in the states should have been enough for him to learn a bit more about what is and is not acceptable here.

i have known quite a few aussies and south africans, and the things they said and felt would make a former kkk leader uncomfortable.

Blackstone
07-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Personally, I would rather a person say what’s in there heart rather than pretend they aren’t racist or sexist. It’s easier to avoid a snake when it’s out in the open.

Ken Bora
07-13-2010, 08:15 AM
heard the newest audio tape they are playing this a.m. on the morning news shows?
Even NBC!
This fellow is just mean, nasty, stupid, racist......
Good thing he is such a good Christian:rolleyes:
"Bless me Father for I have sinned" :confused:

Ken Bora
07-13-2010, 08:22 AM
...... Its just not harsh enough to say "raped by a pack of crackers" .......

Pete

you know,
I have never understood that as a derogatory term. I like crackers. I eat crackers a lot. I like those "Chicken in a Biscuit" the best. And the Cheese nips with tobasco are very good as well. I don't know how being a cracker is a bad thing. Anyone know what those folk are talking about when they call me a cracker?:confused:

ducknwork
07-13-2010, 08:48 AM
you know,
I have never understood that as a derogatory term. I like crackers. I eat crackers a lot. I like those "Chicken in a Biscuit" the best. And the Cheese nips with tobasco are very good as well. I don't know how being a cracker is a bad thing. Anyone know what those folk are talking about when they call me a cracker?:confused:

Sir, you just committed a snack food cardinal sin. You called Cheez Its by the name Cheese Nips. Cheez Its are quite possibly the greatest snack food ever invented. Cheese Nips pale in comparison and your offense is punishable by either death, or lifetime banishment from the snack food aisle. Your choice.

BrianW
07-13-2010, 09:02 AM
you know,

I bet you like eating "white rice" and "plain vanilla" ice cream too, huh Ken? ;)

ducknwork
07-13-2010, 09:04 AM
I bet you like eating "white rice" and "plain vanilla" ice cream too, huh Ken? ;)

But he doesn't like grits.:confused:

jlupi
07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Not to excuse what he said because it was bad. however something got him to this state. what it was we dont know.

Only reason I say is a friend of my wife was getting divorced and my wife told me how she intentionally provoked fights so she could tape them. Not saying thats what happened but never know

Hew
07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Not to excuse what he said because it was bad. however something got him to this state. what it was we dont know.
I'd guess it was his friendship with the Daniels and Beam boys.

Ken Newcomb
07-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I voted other because the rant wasn't about a group of people he was mad about something and he was digging for ways to insult her.

I am fairly sure that in what we thought was private conversation most of us have said things that would look bad or racist in public.