PDA

View Full Version : Sport Fishing Reopens Along Southeast La. Coast

Franco
07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
http://www.nola.com/

Areas some thought would take years to recover.

Nothing like a lot of sun and microbes to desimate crude oil.

And, a great job of clean up and containment!

:)

JDogger
07-15-2010, 01:04 AM
http://www.nola.com/

Areas some thought would take years to recover.

Nothing like a lot of sun and microbes to desimate crude oil.

And, a great job of clean up and containment!

:)

Sooo. we can expect a full return to business as normal along the gulf coast, and expectations of compensation from the Fed and BP should start to dwindle, and I can look forward to $3.95 dz oysters once again at my nieghborhood Pappadeaux's. Sigh. JD

Franco
07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Sooo. we can expect a full return to business as normal along the gulf coast, and expectations of compensation from the Fed and BP should start to dwindle, and I can look forward to $3.95 dz oysters once again at my nieghborhood Pappadeaux's. Sigh. JD

Oysters will take the longest to recover and we still do not know to what extent the beds have been polluted. Worse case senario, three years for recovery. One year to wait for reseeding oysters and two years to maturity.

Fed Wildlife Officials are trying to decide on what to do about the waterfowl season. With the leak stopped the oil should be well desimated by the time the divers start to arrive. Marsh ducks(puddlers) shouldn't be a problem as the oil only touched the outer barrier islands and marshes.

Looks like the fishing is back to normal in most of the marshes. Some areas like Grand Isle were hit a little harder and may take longer for thier marsh to return. Gulf fishing out of Grand Isle is good now. I should know Saturday as I am planning a fishing trip to Four Bayou Pass, which is between Grand Isle and Venice.

Bobby Jindal did a great job of raising hell and getting things done! He was out on the La. coast for weeks overseeing clean up and protection. They have been collecting more oil than was escaping for the last several weeks. If the pressure doesn't drop below 8,000 psi in the well casing, we are in the clear. Sun and microbes will do the job on what doesn't get cleaned up. Our sun this time of year is brutal. Some marsh will be burned to make way for new growth. Levee perforation will allow new sediment to build new marsh and cover entire areas that might be contaminated.

A good tropical storm in a couple of weeks would work wonders in helping to move a heavy tide through the marsh and cleaning it more. Just hope they have the Macondo well completely sealed up by then.

badbullgator
07-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Franco it looks like the story you linked too is off that page or at least I did not see it. None the less that is great. It is still a crime that noaa keeps 35% of Federal waters closed. This area is far too large and extends much too far east and south. Of course this is what happens when you involve an agency that would love to see more areas closed to fishing regardless of oil!

Franco
07-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Gov Bobby Jindal Goes Fishing near Grand Isle. Checkout the Speckled Trout and Redfish caught this morning and I'll be fishing that area tomorrow. Can't wait!
http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/07/louisiana_gov_bobby_jindal_joi.html

Captain Mike D
07-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Gov Bobby Jindal Goes Fishing near Grand Isle. Checkout the Speckled Trout and Redfish caught this morning and I'll be fishing that area tomorrow. Can't wait!
http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/07/louisiana_gov_bobby_jindal_joi.html

Good luck Franco,

I'll be fishing inshore tomorrow too, but many of my offshore bottom fishing brethren will not be,due to the Red Snapper Moritorium enacted by the Southern Fisheries Council

New version will take place shortly-- no-one will b able to drop a line to the bottom for 123 species beweeen 98 and 240 ft Cape Canaveral up to the SC GA line.
There goes another 100k jobs

Jay Dufour
07-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Jindal for President !!

Franco
07-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Good luck Franco,

I'll be fishing inshore tomorrow too, but many of my offshore bottom fishing brethren will not be,due to the Red Snapper Moritorium enacted by the Southern Fisheries Council

New version will take place shortly-- no-one will b able to drop a line to the bottom for 123 species beweeen 98 and 240 ft Cape Canaveral up to the SC GA line.
There goes another 100k jobs

Thanks, nothing would be finer than our group catching four limits.

Someone asked me at lunch today why I was going all the way over thiere when specs are being caught right out of Vermillion Bay just south of where I live. I replied that everyone over there needs our support. From marinas to bait/tackle stores, they've all been hit hard financially.

duk4me
07-18-2010, 11:47 AM
What Franco, no report? Whadya catch?

Franco
07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
We were fishing by 5:45am where Grand Bayou enters the gulf, Four Bayou Pass area. Had a 4 man limit of Speckled Trout by 8:30am. Also caught several Flounder, Crokers and Reds.

I don't think I've ever seen so many fishermen out! It was a steady stream of boats heading out from Empire. The parking lots were full and people were parking their trucks and boat trailers all along the side of the highway.

Didn't see any signs of oil:)

Fish were cleaned by the time we finished an early brunch at the marina.

Little over a two hour drive and I was home by 1pm!

Oyster update;

It wasn't oil that got into the oyster beds that killed them but fresh water from the Mississippi. Fresh water was being diverted into the eastside marshes to keep the flow going out not allowing oil in.

ducknwork
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I want to go catch a puppy drum so bad, but I can't get any time off work and away from the kids long enough to go...:( Hope they tasted good, Franco!

david gibson
07-19-2010, 11:31 AM
We were fishing by 5:45am where Grand Bayou enters the gulf, Four Bayou Pass area. Had a 4 man limit of Speckled Trout by 8:30am. Also caught several Flounder, Crokers and Reds.

I don't think I've ever seen so many fishermen out! It was a steady stream of boats heading out from Empire. The parking lots were full and people were parking their trucks and boat trailers all along the side of the highway.

Didn't see any signs of oil:)

Fish were cleaned by the time we finished an early brunch at the marina.

Little over a two hour drive and I was home by 1pm!

Oyster update;

It wasn't oil that got into the oyster beds that killed them but fresh water from the Mississippi. Fresh water was being diverted into the eastside marshes to keep the flow going out not allowing oil in.

franco you name the date and i got gas money.... ;-)

Franco
07-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Right now is peak Spec catching time! Spoke with a friend that loaded up on Specs Sunday south of Lake Charles. They are really hitting on plastic right now.

Haven't eaten any of the specs yet but I did grill a whole Red Fish yesterday for lunch with baked sweet potatoes covered in Steens sugar cane syrup. Grilled it whole with scales and all. Then just peel the skin off when ready to eat...yum!

Raymond Little
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
franco you name the date and i got gas money.... ;-)

David, Franco only catches when there is a guide involved or I bring him fish.:p August is a great month to fish in Lake Charles, drop me a line and lets line it up.

Raymond

Franco
07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
David, Franco only catches when there is a guide involved or I bring him fish.:p August is a great month to fish in Lake Charles, drop me a line and lets line it up.

Raymond

Guides are the only way to go fishing! One doesn't have to keep up a boat and they do all the scouting for you!

You just show up with Ugly Stik in hand, get on boat and go fish. Return to marina and have lunch while fish are being cleaned. Get fish, go home and take a long nap! My kind of fishing.

When are you guiding me south of Lake Chuck?

My Ugly Stik will travel...;-)

road kill
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Come up this way.

I'll put you on some Coho's and Kings in the big pond, then go hunt some Muskies!!!

stan b

Franco
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Come up this way.

I'll put you on some Coho's and Kings in the big pond, then go hunt some Muskies!!!

stan b

Can you eat those things?;-)

Speckled trout and Redfish are delicasies, makes me hungry just thinking about them.

Saturday we started catching some 20-30lbs Bull Reds and decided not to fool with them and left the area. We wanted edible fish.

Blackstone
07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Can you eat those things?;-)

Speckled trout and Redfish are delicasies, makes me hungry just thinking about them.

Saturday we started catching some 20-30lbs Bull Reds and decided not to fool with them and left the area. We wanted edible fish.

Redfish is what I would come to LA for. I can't eat fish, so I'm not inerested in the eaters. I want big fish!

Franco
07-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Redfish is what I would come to LA for. I can't eat fish, so I'm not inerested in the eaters. I want big fish!

Bull Reds (20-35lbs) start hitting the marshes around July through the late Fall. I use to fish for them years ago and would catch them consistently at the rock jetties from Head Of Passes down through Southwest Pass. This is where the Miss River meets the gulf. Generally, cut bait like crabs, pogies, crocker works best. I prefer Rat Reds in the 3 to 4lbs range for eating though some will eat the bulls in a coubillion sauce.

Spotsmen's Paridise in Venice has some very good charter captains that can get you on top of them. They also can take you out to the rigs and fish for Ling, King Mackeral, Wahoo, Tuna etc. I haven't made one of those trips in a longtime. I generally fish the marshes for Rat Reds and Speckled Trout. Or, R Little will bring me some filets when he is in town.

Rat Reds really put up a fight and are a blast to catch. Hard to beat the fishing in November & December when the weather cools a bit. Right now, it is just too hot to fish after 10am.

ducknwork
07-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Bull Reds (20-35lbs) start hitting the marshes around July through the late Fall. I use to fish for them years ago and would catch them consistently at the rock jetties from Head Of Passes down through Southwest Pass. This is where the Miss River meets the gulf. Generally, cut bait like crabs, pogies, crocker works best. I prefer Rat Reds in the 3 to 4lbs range for eating though some will eat the bulls in a coubillion sauce.

Spotsmen's Paridise in Venice has some very good charter captains that can get you on top of them. They also can take you out to the rigs and fish for Ling, King Mackeral, Wahoo, Tuna etc. I haven't made one of those trips in a longtime. I generally fish the marshes for Rat Reds and Speckled Trout. Or, R Little will bring me some filets when he is in town.

Rat Reds really put up a fight and are a blast to catch. Hard to beat the fishing in November & December when the weather cools a bit. Right now, it is just too hot to fish after 10am.

They let you guys keep them that big? Our size limit on drum is 18-27". Right now it is almost time to get out in the Pamlico Sound and catch some monsters at night. A couple years ago, me and a couple buddies went out (in weather that probably should have kept us home) and cleaned up on the old drum. The biggest that night (was mine of course) weighed 55 lbs.:D The rest were around 30-40. I can't imagine that they would taste any good, even if we could keep them. I don't even think I would want to if we could. I have a lot of respect for red drum and I would definitely feel bad about killing a fish that is older than I am.:( They are hands down (regardless of size) my favorite fish to catch (and eat(fried:D)).

Franco
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
They let you guys keep them that big?

I'm not sure what the legal size or what is too big today because if they won't fit in my Green Egg grill, they are too big and I'd rather release them!;-)

Blackstone
07-21-2010, 11:44 AM

I would probably wait until late fall. I've had enought of the heat for this year! I met a car dealer from LA that fishes for them, and said he would take me out. I just haven't had the time to get down there.