PDA

View Full Version : Let's get serious

JDogger
07-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Let's look ahead.

Let's say the republicans re-take control of congress in 2010.

Then in 2012 a republican president is elected.

How will things be different? How will they overcome the problems that, systemically, effect the country?

Will this change in leadership wave a magic wand, and change overnight the situations that have been growing for decades.

Will the rallying cry be "change", most likely.

It is already!

But, what will change?

The way politics and business are done? Doubtful.

We'll change the players, and root for "Our team", but the sad fact is we'll be "had" once again.

:(:(:(JD

M&K's Retrievers
07-15-2010, 01:11 AM
I just hope they stop the spending. Heck (I gotta watch my language cause I got sent to the office:D), cut the budget 5-10% across the board. Do something that stops the spending.

JDogger
07-15-2010, 01:20 AM
I just hope they stop the spending. Heck (I gotta watch my language cause I got sent to the office:D), cut the budget 5-10% across the board. Do something that stops the spending.

Had a note or two myself over the years, even a phone call. ;)

Nobody's gonna stop spending...its the way it's done now. If business and consumers don't spend, then the fed has to do it. It ain't right, but like Reagan said, and Cheney too....deficits don't matter.

Doesn't matter who we elect, it's the game plan.

M&K's Retrievers
07-15-2010, 01:33 AM
Had a note or two myself over the years, even a phone call. ;)

Nobody's gonna stop spending...its the way it's done now. If business and consumers don't spend, then the fed has to do it. It ain't right, but like Reagan said, and Cheney too....deficits don't matter.

Doesn't matter who we elect, it's the game plan.

Well, I guess Dennis Miller was right tonight when he said just don't pay the debt. In fact, I kinda like it. What are they gonna do? Take your birthday away?:p

JDogger
07-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Well, I guess Dennis Miller was right tonight when he said just don't pay the debt. In fact, I kinda like it. What are they gonna do? Take your birthday away?:p

Who's Dennis Miller?

rk

BonMallari
07-15-2010, 03:03 AM
IMHO we will see soon enough come this fall if the country has indeed changed its ways or if we are just changing horses and heading down the same path....I think we will see the market change for the positive...if the republicans dont take back control of at least one of the two houses of Congress, then it shows me that the country is lazy and just want to biatch and moan and not willing to actually take the painful steps needed to take back control of government

YardleyLabs
07-15-2010, 05:40 AM
The problem is that a 5-10% across the board would reduce our annual deficit by about 5-10%. A balanced budget is likely to require an across the board cut of 30-40% plus significant tax increases.

The problem is that the tax cuts we already implemented, which sounded big at the time, were actually backend weighted so that the biggest cuts -- such as the complete elimination of estate taxes -- took effect in the last few years. Without reversals of some or all of these cuts, there is absolutely no scenario of budget cuts that will leave us with a balanced budget. Of course, we compounded the problem by increasing spending in each of the last ten years without regard to deficits. Our interest payments will soon be greater than the defense budget.

As one contemplates simply defaulting on the debt, two problems stand out. The biggest holder of debt is the Social Security system, which means non-payment just changes the bills we won't be able to pay. Second, once you default, you lose your ability to borrow any more, leaving an unfunded deficit equal to half of the total Federal budget.

road kill
07-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Who's Dennis Miller?

rk

Why you using my monogram??

RK

Franco
07-15-2010, 07:03 AM
I don't care which party they come from as long as the place America and American Tax Payers First! Just look at the situation in Nevada. Harry Reid needs to go but, the leading GOP candidate is worse!

We need successful business people in office not career politicians that are spending us into oblivion.

Cut spending by 50% or more by making the hard tough decisions. Create a mfg base, get the unions under control, and cut out all the pork.

Fight Islamic terrorism with smart weapons, get the troops out of Iraq and Afganistan and continue to invest in our military.

Immigration reform to where we only let professionals or those with needed skills into our country. No more poor uneducated immigrents that will only be a burden to tax payers.

Health Care and Wall St reform needs to be redone. The New Health Care system is too much of a burden on the productive and the current Wall ST legislation will not prevent what happened earlier this decade.

No more empty slogans!

M&K's Retrievers
07-15-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't care which party they come from as long as the place America and American Tax Payers First! Just look at the situation in Nevada. Harry Reid needs to go but, the leading GOP candidate is worse!

We need successful business people in office not career politicians that are spending us into oblivion.

Cut spending by 50% or more by making the hard tough decisions. Create a mfg base, get the unions under control, and cut out all the pork.

Fight Islamic terrorism with smart weapons, get the troops out of Iraq and Afganistan and continue to invest in our military.

Immigration reform to where we only let professionals or those with needed skills into our country. No more poor uneducated immigrents that will only be a burden to tax payers.

Health Care and Wall St reform needs to be redone. The New Health Care system is too much of a burden on the productive and the current Wall ST legislation will not prevent what happened earlier this decade.

No more empty slogans!

Good luck with that.:(

BonMallari
07-15-2010, 02:27 PM

!

you're not kidding...Sharon Angle and the Tea Party are going to ruin the best chance we had of getting rid of Harry Reid...She came out of NOWHERE to snatch the nomination,when the other two Rep candidates had Reid beat by double digit numbers in head to head situations, I know I voted for one of them..the Tea Party hijacked this election and the nation will pay the price

duckwater
07-15-2010, 02:53 PM
My dad once told me "never talk politics or religeon with family" I haved taken his advice ever since, and been a happier person for it. Thanks dad!

Henry V
07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
The problem is that a 5-10% across the board would reduce our annual deficit by about 5-10%. A balanced budget is likely to require an across the board cut of 30-40% plus significant tax increases. ...

Come on Jeff, we all know that cutting taxes is the answer. It has been proven to workhttp://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/deficitagainsttaxes.jpg
Oh wait, nevermind.