PDA

View Full Version : How bad do they really have it?

badbullgator
07-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Ok living in Florida I find this interesting. Everyday our news is about the oil spill and the effect on tourism. Every hotel in the state is crying the blues about having NO business and it is all because of the spill regardless of if the hotel is 10 miles from it or 700 miles from it. Every night on the news I am told the tourism is way down. Well I have to take a vacation or lose my time so I think to myself that I will go “up north” and spend some money in the panhandle. Well actually my first thought was to go to the Keys. Anyway I start looking for hotels thinking that since bookings are so low that there should be some really good rates. Low and behold the prices for a hotel up there are the same as those in the Keys for the same dates. Ok now you might say yeah both are low because of the spill. Well if you did you would be wrong. The prices in the Keys are the same as they always are for the end of July and the prices in the panhandle are the same. Why is this a problem (some of you Florida guys already know where this is going)? July 28-29 is the SPORTSMEN LOBSTER SEASON in the Keys! Those dates are perhaps the busiest in the Keys all year! Every island in the Keys is full for the most part and it is a madhouse. It just makes me wonder how bad they have it “up north”. As much as I would like to go up and spend some money to help out I just can’t justify going up there when for pretty much the same money I can go down to the Keys and come home with a cooler full of bugs.
After 9/11 when tourism took a BIG hit they almost paid you to come stay any place in Florida. I got a delux room on the beach in S.Beach for $69/night in a 4 star hotel. Seems that if they really needed the business they would drop their prices to get more bodies in the beds.

Now along this line we have local (south West Florida) hotel owners and others jumping on the BP money bandwagon. We have not seen, nor will we see a drop of oil in our area and yet BP has a reimbursement center set up in the area and are handing out checks. Makes you wonder.

Julie R.
07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Interesting...according to my dad, who lives right on the beach in SW Fla. in Naples, neither he nor friends have seen a single sign of the oil leak, not one tarball on the beach or dead animal coated in oil, etc. yet the hotel prices are higher than ever, even this summer, which is the slow season there. We even nixed having a family reunion in SW Fla. because of costs.

And another friend has been working for one of the clean up companies on the TX coast; he said he's been dressing in hazard suit and picking up the same kinds of tarballs that have always been on the beaches and that the media was way over-hyping things. Not to minimize the damages a spill of this magnitude causes, but it appears that, except for certain areas of Louisiana, the spill is mostly a media-created ratings bonanza. Tarballs are being treated like some new kind of sea monster, but they've always been around. I clearly remember the routine of family foot clean-up before you went inside; my parents (and many others) used gasoline to get the beach tar off our feet--tar we got from walking on the Atlantic beaches in Delaware in the 1960s and 70s!

Franco
07-15-2010, 09:52 AM
We had a lot of folks from around here head the the Fla panhandle for the 4th of July. They said it was awesome. Small crowds, light traffic and plenty of room on the beaches. They paid the normal hotel rates and except for an occasional tar ball, things were pretty much normal.

A couple of folks I know said they don't swin in the gulf anyway and the swimming pools are unaffected. They like the fact that instead of 150 people sitting around the hotel swimming pools there were only about 30 folks.

The job of containment has been awesome. Heck, La. has opened up fishing all along our coast including the areas closest to the spill. More than 20,000 fish samples were tested and none were tainted with oil!

badbullgator
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Julie you can get deals down here, you just have to ask. I am either going to the Keys or staying here on the gulf some place.
S.W. Florida has not and will not see anything form the spill. I have said that form day one and it will hold true. We had two stories on the news about tar balls. The first was maybe 20-30 days into the spill. I woke up and the morning news was on the beach in the still dark morning with a reporter holding tow big "tar balls". As soon as I saw them, and the location they were in, I said those are not tar balls, they are TURD balls! The area they came from was not actually on the beach but rather a cove that is notorious for sailboats mooring and dumping their septic tanks in the water. The story was only aired twice in the morning and then disappeared with only a comment that the ball were not from the spill!!!! On the news yesterday they had another soty about tar balls that also turned out to be turd balls in a different location north of here. We also had a story on "tar balls" in local water ways that as soon as I saw them I said that is algae balls that show up in very hot canals in the summer every year and sure enough a day later they were reporting that the "tar balls" were actually algae. The freaking media is out of control. Every day on our news the first story is the spill followed by loss of tourism and how people are staying away because they are afraid there is oil all over Florida. Of course the first story on the news is "Oil hits Florida Beaches!". It is not "Oil hits Florida Panhandle Beaches" which are pretty remote to the rest of Florida. Every single local and National media outlet makes it sound like Florida is covered in oil when in reality only the Pensacola area has any and they other 800 miles of Florida beaches are free of oil.

Hew
07-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I took the family to Pass-a-Grill (on the Gulf, just south of Tampa) for a 4 day weekend at the end of June. Rates were dirt cheap for a fairly nice hotel on the beach. At the time I booked the trip (a week before we went) I wasn't even thinking about the oil spill as I thought it was pretty well known that that part of the state was unaffected. But every restaurant we ate at said they were dying on the vine because of the spill. It was fairly desolate. I guess if you live in Hooterville, Iowa you don't really know what parts of the state are affected and what aren't...and as a result, people are cancelling their trips to FL. I understand that...in these times if you're going to drop some serious coin for a vacation that you've been saving up for all year why take a chance that it's going to get messed up by an oil slick.

gman0046
07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
I live in the Florida Pan Handle between Destin and Panama City in a coastal wetland community. The worst thing reported in our area have been some tar balls. We go to the beach almost every day either to swim or in the evenings to let our Labs swim. I have yet to see any tar balls myself. There are all kinds of BP employees on the beaches, including ATV's, tractors, pickups, even trailers with porta potties on them following their workers. From the looks of who they've hired I don't believe they could tell the difference between dog shat and a tar ball. I've even seen air conditioned tour buses bringing them to work. Spoke to some folks who have talked to BP workers who stated every piece of equipment they've bought is brand new. Somebody's making a ton of money off the spill thats for sure. To me our beaches which are never crowded seem to have more people on them then ever especially the July 4th week. I attribute that to tourists who usually go to Mississippi, Alabama and Pensacola where the beaches have been hit hard by the spill are coming further east on the Pan Handle which has had little or no effect. I know some rentals have offered discounts and guarantee's of clean beaches. A friend of mine is the manager of a Panama City hotel says its business as usual. Our fishing has been hit hard as federal waters have been closed to fishing which means you can only fish up to nine miles offshore. Many charter boats and shrimpers no longer fish as they now work for BP. Hopefully BP will be successful in stopping the leak and the clean up can continue.

Buzz
07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
The job of containment has been awesome. Heck, La. has opened up fishing all along our coast including the areas closest to the spill. More than 20,000 fish samples were tested and none were tainted with oil!

You are the first one I've seen make that statement. What you hear on TV is that BP and the Feds are doing nothing.

ducknwork
07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
dippity, you live 3,000 miles away from the oil spill. I'm living it up close and personal. I live in a Coastal Wetland community. We have oil on our beaches. I can't swim in the Gulf. I can't fish in the Gulf. I can't recreation boat in the Gulf. My dogs can no longer swim in the Gulf when they used to swim in it almost every day. My property values have plummeted. The Obongo Administration did not respond to this disaster in a timely manner. The clean up a fiasco. You'd think differently if it effected you like it does me.

I'm still amazed by posters who live inland and believe the spill is no big deal. BTW not only tar balls are hitting the Florida Pan Handle. Its oil sheen and oil contamination called mousse. This whole areas saltwater fishing is now closed. I seriously doubt any of you inland dwellers would allow your dogs to swim in this garbage. Yeah duckwork, the pelicans covered in oil during the breeding season will take care of themselves. Who told you that? Obongo? For your information the Brown Pelican had just come off the endangered species list. Before the effects of this spill is over you'll really need that prayer of yours. I just read a news report stating this spill may continue to Christmas. Then again it won't destroying inland areas it will only affect the coast. Whats the big deal? It won't affect inland property values.

It's amazing how the oil spill is no big deal to posters who live inland no where's near the Gulf such as Lafayette, LA. and TN. I live in a coastal wetland community in Panama City Beach, Florida and am facing BP's negligence first hand. The oil is supposed to hit our beaches between today and Sunday. I can no longer salt water fish or take my Lab's to the Gulf to swim. I am affected, your not.

I live in the Florida Pan Handle between Destin and Panama City in a coastal wetland community. The worst thing reported in our area have been some tar balls. We go to the beach almost every day either to swim or in the evenings to let our Labs swim. I have yet to see any tar balls myself. There are all kinds of BP employees on the beaches, including ATV's, tractors, pickups, even trailers with porta potties on them following their workers. From the looks of who they've hired I don't believe they could tell the difference between dog shat and a tar ball. I've even seen air conditioned tour buses bringing them to work. Spoke to some folks who have talked to BP workers who stated every piece of equipment they've bought is brand new. Somebody's making a ton of money off the spill thats for sure. To me our beaches which are never crowded seem to have more people on them then ever especially the July 4th week. I attribute that to tourists who usually go to Mississippi, Alabama and Pensacola where the beaches have been hit hard by the spill are coming further east on the Pan Handle which has had little or no effect. I know some rentals have offered discounts and guarantee's of clean beaches. A friend of mine is the manager of a Panama City hotel says its business as usual. Our fishing has been hit hard as federal waters have been closed to fishing which means you can only fish up to nine miles offshore. Many charter boats and shrimpers no longer fish as they now work for BP. Hopefully BP will be successful in stopping the leak and the clean up can continue.

Which way is it, gman?:confused:

Buzz
07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Which way is it, gman?:confused:

I hate it when that happens. ;-)

gman0046
07-15-2010, 12:14 PM
I have to admit I probably panicked initially as oil was hitting Pensacola 80 miles away and Destin 35 miles away. I am correct on the fishing as Federal waters are closed. So far we've been fortunate but results of the spill will be felt in many areas for years. We are by no means out of the woods. If you don't think the spill is an ecological disaster, you've got a problem. Go visit the pictures of hard hit areas.

ducknwork
07-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Your post was better before the edit. Nobody has EVER said that this isn't a disaster.

badbullgator
07-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I have to admit I probably panicked initially as oil was hitting Pensacola 80 miles away and Destin 35 miles away. I am correct on the fishing as Federal waters are closed. So far we've been fortunate but results of the spill will be felt in many areas for years. We are by no means out of the woods. If you don't think the spill is an ecological disaster, you've got a problem. Go visit the pictures of hard hit areas.

Well 35% of Federal waters are closed leaving only 65% open. Lets remember what one BP offical said....LA is not the only place with shrip you know. This time of year the browns are found from Texas South and the Pinks are over here. Has it been a hit on fishermen yes. Is it the end of the world, NO. Is it a eccological disaster....perhaps, but one that will pass with time

badbullgator
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Gmans greatest hits

I've always supported off shore drilling but now I'm not so sure. Almost a week and a half after the explosion the thing is still dumping 5,000 barrels a day into the Gulf. Earlier today Fox News was reporting it could take up to 90 days to stop the leak. If thats the case you can write off all the eastern and southern coastal areas of the U.S.

Pretty much 90 days into it and you are still going to the beach according to your recent post. Is the eastern and southern coastal areas written off yet?

Experts are now convinced its much worse then BP has previously reported. I think it's time to remove the rose colored glasses and admit to the devastation they have inflicted on the Gulf. God only knows how long it will take for the marine and coastal communities to recover. The Florida Keys already have tar balls washing up on their beaches. How can anyone in their right mind defend BP?

Sorry there has not been ANY tar balls form this in the Keys….NONE

As someone who lives in a coastal wetlands community on tidal LakePowell in Panama City Beach, Florida, I am really concerned about what's to come as results of BP's negligence and the failure of the Federal Government. Aside from the destruction of wildlife, there will be a serious economic impact on LA, MS, AL and FL with more states to be affected as this oil leak continues unabated. Right now 3/4 of the Gulf of Mexico is closed to fishing.

Never was 75% of the Gulf closed, not even 75% of Federal waters in the Gulf were closed…EVER!

It's amazing how the oil spill is no big deal to posters who live inland no where's near the Gulf such as Lafayette, LA. and TN. I live in a coastal wetland community in Panama City Beach, Florida and am facing BP's negligence first hand. The oil is supposed to hit our beaches between today and Sunday. I can no longer salt water fish or take my Lab's to the Gulf to swim. I am affected, your not.

Rather contradictorily to what you posted earlier about taking the dogs to the beach and unless you are venturing out into FEDERAL waters you can still fish. Do you even know where Federal waters begin?

You are an emotional poster. If you would post more in fact and with less hostility your post would have more credibility.

gman0046
07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Badbull your full of BS. The red snapper season is right now and ends July 23. I don't expect someone who doesn't know our area to know where red snapper are found. For your information its over 9 miles out where Federal waters are closed. Pensacola beaches at times have been closed due to the spill. Before this is over the Keys very well could have tar balls or worse. Why to do profess to know whats going on no where's near where you live?

badbullgator
07-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Badbull your full of BS. The red snapper season is right now and ends July 23. I don't expect someone who doesn't know our area to know where red snapper are found. For your information its over 9 miles out where Federal waters are closed. Pensacola beaches at times have been closed due to the spill. Before this is over the Keys very well could have tar balls or worse. Why to do profess to know whats going on no where's near where you live?

You prove my point