PDA

View Full Version : Oil Spill

badbullgator
07-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Is it just me or does it seem that the media is almost wishing the cap would not hold?
Almost every story I see is that it may not hold rather than THE OIL HAS NOT FLOWED FREELY IN 3 DAYS.....THE WELL IS CAPPED.
I understand caution in that nobody is totally sure if this will continue to work or not, but it seems to me a lot like to coverage of a hurricane....they are just drooling for more destruction.....good news is bad and bad news sells

YardleyLabs
07-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Is it just me or does it seem that the media is almost wishing the cap would not hold?
Almost every story I see is that it may not hold rather than THE OIL HAS NOT FLOWED FREELY IN 3 DAYS.....THE WELL IS CAPPED.
I understand caution in that nobody is totally sure if this will continue to work or not, but it seems to me a lot like to coverage of a hurricane....they are just drooling for more destruction.....good news is bad and bad news sells
I think you are right. News organizations want as much drama as possible with minimal reporting expense. At this point they have a lot of assets invested in reporting on the Gulf but have been getting the bulk of their news content in return. Having that story go away means higher cost and fewer viewers.

M&K's Retrievers
07-17-2010, 10:44 AM
....good news is bad and bad news sells

I think you may be right. That and the fact that Obama has not been on the ball during this mess so anything that will put the spot light back on BP and off his mishandling/lack of interest of the problem is a plus in the MSM's eyes. That and continued problems in the Gulf helps bolster Obama's desire to stop off shore drilling, push Cap and Tax and the rest of his "green" BS.

Oil & Gas checks down, expenses up regards,

Julie R.
07-17-2010, 12:09 PM
The spill has been a ratings bonanza for a long time, good news does not = drama/ratings increase. Also, I find it interesting that gas prices have gone down since this leak...anyone remember how they soared after Katrina? Seems to me the loss of this much oil would've affected prices more than it has. $2.40 today in Fauquier County, Va.

Gerry Clinchy
07-17-2010, 01:44 PM
I think Dr. Chu is worth watching.

He seems to be a truly competent person for his position. Though not an expert in oil technologies & geology, he is of scientific mind and had the ability/intelligence to get himself up to speed quickly.

According to the NY Times article he was the one to, early on, suggest gamma ray technology to dx the condition of the well ... something the oilmen hadn't thought of; and which proved to be very helpful.

Franco
07-17-2010, 02:42 PM
No doubt about!

Listening to news reports it is like they are disappointed the leak was capped.

I am sure many Democrats and Obama supporters are sadden by the news.

On my fishing trip this morning, you couldn't miss all the signage on the road blaming Obama for his slow reaction to everything involved with this; From lifting the ban on foreign help to his drilling moritorium.

badbullgator
07-17-2010, 05:56 PM
The spill has been a ratings bonanza for a long time, good news does not = drama/ratings increase. Also, I find it interesting that gas prices have gone down since this leak...anyone remember how they soared after Katrina? Seems to me the loss of this much oil would've affected prices more than it has. $2.40 today in Fauquier County, Va.

This was not a producing well olny exploring, or that is what I have been told. Oil from this was only a very tiny part of the oil being sold

M&K's Retrievers
07-17-2010, 07:06 PM

I think the hurricanes screw up the refineries more than production which causes a shortage.

Franco
07-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I think the hurricanes screw up the refineries more than production which causes a shortage.

The refineries are far enough inland to not be affected that much by hurricanes. It is Port Fouchon (foo-shon) that gets shut down ahead of pending hurricanes. This is where the huge seaferring tankers from the mideast pumpout thier oil into pipelines headed for refineries.

Sabireley
07-18-2010, 05:08 PM
I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something, something I can use
People love it when you lose
They love dirty laundry

Franco
07-18-2010, 05:20 PM
I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something, something I can use
People love it when you lose
They love dirty laundry

Here ya go, jobs lost with Obama's deepwater moratorium. One accident in 30 years and people are drilling much deeper than 5,000 feet all over the world! Nothing but PURE POLITICS by Obama.

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww167/gumboyaya_2009/drillhistory071810jpg-c3ff664a22-1.jpg