PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Best Cities 2010

Gerry Clinchy
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM
This is Money Magazine's list. What do you think?

Top 10 Best Small Cities for 2010
Money magazine has released its list of the best small cities in America. The list, which recognizes locales with great schools, safe neighborhoods, high employment rates, and low crime, is a coveted honor and one that can have a significant economic impact on a growing community.

This year’s top 10 winners are:

1. Eden Prairie, Minn.
2. Columbia/Ellicott City, Md.
3. Newton, Mass.
4. Bellevue, Wash.
5. McKinney, Texas
6. Fort Collins, Colo.
7. Overland Park, Kan.
8. Fishers, Ind.
9. Ames, Iowa
10. Rogers, Ark.

Source: Money Magazine (07/10/2010)

Franco
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
The only one I could imagine living in is #6.

The rest are either too humid, too cold or too rainey;-)

For small cities Bellevue also looks interesting. BTW read that article a few days ago on Yahoo.

If money were no object, you can't beat La Jolla, Ca. which is a part of San Diego. Best weather in the world and lots of fit good looking women;-)

In fact you can place me in La Jolla, Laguna Beach or Balboa, Ca., I ain't that picky.

Buzz
07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Eden Prairie doesn't have a small town city feel, it's a suburb of Minneapolis.

Marvin S
07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Too many of these people who do these Top whatever never leave the hotel or the C of C booth. I would vote for Bellingham over Bellevue any day! The only thing that makes Bellevue a little special is the Microsoft Campus is there. I sold RE in Bellevue in the late 50's while attending the UW, it has changed a lot, but not for the better.

Most places here on the Left Coast still have streets from the H & B days so sitting in traffic jams is a given. OR has some neat places - I liked Corvallis when I ran the trial there a few years back.

BonMallari
07-19-2010, 02:53 PM
# 5 McKinney Tx is located just NE of Dallas and just a few miles south of the FT grounds in Bonham..in McKinney you just have to decide if you want to belong to Stonebridge CC or Stonebriar CC :rolleyes: :p:p

Goose
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
# 5 McKinney Tx is located just NE of Dallas and just a few miles south of the FT grounds in Bonham..in McKinney you just have to decide if you want to belong to Stonebridge CC or Stonebriar CC :rolleyes: :p:p

The best thing about living in McKinney right now is the greatness of the city of Allen just south of us. The city of Allen and Cabela's broke ground last week for the 3rd Cabela's in the great state of Texas and this one will be 10 miles from my home:) So no more 55 mile trips to the Ft. Worth Cabela's...I now have my own and I can be there in 10 minutes!! Grand opening is scheduled for April 2011. 100,000 square feet of toys!

duckheads
07-20-2010, 10:22 AM
you couldn't pay me to live in Fishers, IN. it is so congested you can't go anywhere without waitng in traffic. I never look at those lists because it isn't anywhere I would want to live. They outlawed duck hunting on the reservoir that used to be a good place to hunt. people with money and political connections tend to get their way! my top ten would be country livin' with lots of hunting opportunities and very little people!

Blackstone
07-20-2010, 11:20 PM
I live in Overland Park (#7). I have to say it's not a bad town to live in. There is some traffic congestion during rush hour, but it's not really that bad. My only complaint is it's a little too hot and humid here in the summer for my taste.

Nor_Cal_Angler
07-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Too many of these people who do these Top whatever never leave the hotel or the C of C booth. I would vote for Bellingham over Bellevue any day! The only thing that makes Bellevue a little special is the Microsoft Campus is there. I sold RE in Bellevue in the late 50's while attending the UW, it has changed a lot, but not for the better.

Most places here on the Left Coast still have streets from the H & B days so sitting in traffic jams is a given. OR has some neat places - I liked Corvallis when I ran the trial there a few years back.

Tri-Cities.....or Camas for me please.

Raised in the evergreen thank you very much...

NCA

lizard55033
07-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Eden Prairie doesn't have a small town city feel, it's a suburb of Minneapolis.

That is so true....Eden Prairie and Minnetonka run hand in hand, butted up to Minneapolis.

Cody Covey
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Tri-Cities.....or Camas for me please.

Raised in the evergreen thank you very much...

NCA
Been to tri cities lately? Not quite as nice as it used to be with gangs and drugs the way the are now.

Currently live in yakima, wa scariest place outside of compton i think :)

M&K's Retrievers
07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
McKinney is no longer a small town. It's wall to wall people, concrete and cars.

BonMallari
07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Been to tri cities lately? Not quite as nice as it used to be with gangs and drugs the way the are now.

Currently live in yakima, wa scariest place outside of compton i think :)

very sad to hear that...I have a SIL from Yakima...and my brother Clint used to be a doctor at the regional hospital in tri cities area..what a shame that its changed that much

gman0046
07-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Read on the internet recently that most Americans tend to want to live amongst others who have a like mind. I believe that is true and the reason I could never live in Yardley Pennsylvania.

YardleyLabs
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Read on the internet recently that most Americans tend to want to live amongst others who have a like mind. I believe that is true and the reason I could never live in Yardley Pennsylvania.
Thank goodness for small favors.

Yardley was founded in 1602 and has a population of about 2000. It was a way station on the Delaware Canal and a major stopping point on the underground railroad with a Quaker population that worked actively to assist slaves to escape. In an affluent county with an almost exclusively white population (Yardley is in Bucks County, more fondly called Big Bucks County by some) except in the small area directly neighboring Philadelphia, Yardley has been thoroughly integrated since the Civil War because of the number of fleeing slaves that stayed here to work and raise their families.

gman0046
07-21-2010, 05:31 PM
No thanks Yardley. I'd rather live in Dixie.

charly_t
07-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Bartlesville, OK. Really the only bad thing is the hot humid weather this time of year. It was at one time a "company town" ( Phillips Pet. Co. now Conoco-Phillips ). but it has had other companies for some years that play a large part. Mostly our winters are not that bad although there are years when we do have snow and ice. We lived a very short time in Texas and we have lived in KS. Before I married my husband I spent about 3 years in Lincoln, NE. I enjoyed the differences in each state ( I love seeing and exlporing new country ) but I like it here near Bartlesville. Close enough to Tulsa for things we don't have in B'ville. We traveled a little when the children lived at home
but haven't done much since then. Just have not seen anything I liked better as far as a home base.

Cody Covey
07-21-2010, 06:07 PM
very sad to hear that...I have a SIL from Yakima...and my brother Clint used to be a doctor at the regional hospital in tri cities area..what a shame that its changed that much30ish homicides last year almost all gang related. They found a dead body wrapped in plastic in a canal right across the road from one of my favorite hunting spots last year. The homicides don't come close to the number of shootings where people were shot or shot at but didn't die.

To let you know how bad it got the CEO of the company i work for made us take down the local news from our intranet site because he said it was to depressing to look at all the crime day after day..

david gibson
07-21-2010, 06:23 PM
hey - houston sux overall trust me i know but its a great business town, great economy, great housing costs, and no snow. i wish we had mountains, but i can surf waves 3 to 12 feet and salt water fish and duck hunt and goose hunt and deer hunt and fresh water fish all within 1 hour, and i have 12 training grounds within 10 minutes. and can run a dozen tests within 2 hours some seasons.

overall, not too shabby.

gman0046
07-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Houstons not bad. Lived north of IAH off hwy 59. Loved to eat a Pappas and Ma Goodsons in Tomball. We had a duck lease in Dayton. Spent too much money at Carters Country and Rebel Gun Shop Humble, TX.

Franco
07-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Auh sheet, y'll making me miss my hometown, New Orleans!

Awesome nightlife and the most unique bars in the world, most of which are NOT on Bourbon street.
Fantastic food
The absence of many fast food chains in the city.
One of a kind festivals like Jazz Fest and Tales Of The Cocktail.
Huge inner city parks like City Park and Audubon
World class zoo and aquirium
Mardi Gras
Many Unique old neighborhoods with afforable housing.
Mardi Gras
Great duck hunting and fishing.
and

the Super Bowl Champs!
;-)

I know what it means to miss New Orleans but, I like my job where I am now.

zeus3925
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Penthouse to the outhouse. Plymouth, MN was rated #1 last year