PDA

View Full Version : media bias - list-serv Journolist articles

subroc
07-22-2010, 06:31 AM
I have been following this story with interest. They are starting to name names.

It appears there is malice in the left wing media heart as evidenced by their written word.

Any semblance of un-biased reporting from the left is pretty much un-believable now.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/at-washington-post-mums-the-word-on-journolist-98909894.html

http://dailycaller.com/2010/07/21/liberal-journalists-suggest-government-shut-down-fox-news/print/

for those that believe the right is making it up, I expect an appolgy after evidence of the act is uncovered is evidence enough.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/07/21/journolister-apologizes-for-rush-limbaugh-comment/

BonMallari
07-22-2010, 08:16 AM
with the possible exception of the RTF POTUS and the Fuge,there are more liberal idealogue type sites and venom out on the net..look how quickly conspiracy theorists went viral. The lack of journalistic integrity left us long ago, I am not sure what is worse,reporting falsehoods or not reporting stories at all...

I usually peruse Realclearpolitics.com because they seem to show articles from all different points of view from the conservative WSJ and the Weekly Standard to the liberal leaning Huffington Post and the Daily Kos...usually read a little from each and figure the truth lies somewhere in the middle

subroc
07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
...The lack of journalistic integrity left us long ago, I am not sure what is worse,reporting falsehoods or not reporting stories at all...

I agree. both are pretty egregious

...I usually peruse Realclearpolitics.com because they seem to show articles from all different points of view from the conservative WSJ and the Weekly Standard to the liberal leaning Huffington Post and the Daily Kos...usually read a little from each and figure the truth lies somewhere in the middle

I am a big fan of real clear. I believe the owner is a lefty???????

I don't now about the truth lying in the middle. There is one truth with many interpretations. Knowing when the story contains all the relevent facts to make an informed decision is clearly a problem. If it does contain all the facts, one should be able to sort through the noise of ideolgy and make an honest assesment, but when the facts are missing...

here is another article from a "potential victim" of liberal bias.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704684604575381083191313448.html?m od=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

subroc
07-23-2010, 12:06 PM
One more from tucker Carlson from the DailyCaller...

http://dailycaller.com/2010/07/22/letter-from-editor-in-chief-tucker-carlson-on-the-daily-callers-journolist-coverage/

----------

subroc
07-24-2010, 10:12 PM
An article from US News comparing this to Clinton's vast right wing conspiracy.

http://politics.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2010/7/23/journolist-affair-worse-than-clinton-conspiracy.html?s_cid=rss:washington-whispers:journolist-affair-worse-than-clinton-conspiracy

subroc
07-25-2010, 04:36 PM
The fix was in. An article from the NY Post.

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/the_fix_was_in_gImIPWyKJdEWhZasJmFIUO

YardleyLabs
07-25-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm actually still waiting to see what was wrong with what was done. So far I have seen nothing.

subroc
07-25-2010, 05:25 PM
collusion????

YardleyLabs
07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
collusion????
Information exchange?

road kill
07-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Information exchange?

Hateful rhetoric?

No crime, just exposure of a true and hate filled bias.

Or maybe wishing someones death was all in good fun?

Tell me Yardley, did you ever see anyone die, or hold them as they took their last breath??

HATEFUL RHETORIC, it's who and what these people are.
They support YOUR progressive agenda, not fairness in media.

rk

YardleyLabs
07-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Hateful rhetoric?

No crime, just exposure of a true and hate filled bias.

Or maybe wishing someones death was all in good fun?

Tell me Yardley, did you ever see anyone die, or hold them as they took their last breath??

HATEFUL RHETORIC, it's who and what these people are.
They support YOUR progressive agenda, not fairness in media.

rk
No worse than some of the garbage posted here -- actually, generally better.

"Tell me Yardley, did you ever see anyone die, or hold them as they took their last breath??" - yes, more than once. Two out of three kids I pulled from the water when I was 13 started the list. The most recent was my father. What's your point?

road kill
07-25-2010, 05:44 PM
No worse than some of the garbage posted here -- actually, generally better.

"Tell me Yardley, did you ever see anyone die, or hold them as they took their last breath??" - yes, more than once. Two out of three kids I pulled from the water when I was 13 started the list. The most recent was my father. What's your point?

It's not something to wish on another, written or otherwise.

THAT'S my point.

As far as some of the garbage posted here, I have confronted it and stood against it as being improper, you on the other hand constantly defend the indefensible out of pure ideology.

The difference of course is the posters here are not professional journalists charged with reporting the truth and facts.

Everyone can see it, except you.

rk

subroc
07-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Jeff

In your view, suggesting and accusing someone of racism is considered information exchange?

I am not surprised.

YardleyLabs
07-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Jeff

In your view, suggesting and accusing someone of racism is considered information exchange?

I am not surprised.

One of the constants of the Bush years, and the Clinton years before them, and going back all the way to Nixon, has been the development and publication of "talking points" to promote an agenda and attack the opposition. The entire "Plame affair" was itself the product of a conspiracy to get friendly journalists to publish damaging information about an agent of the CIA in an effort to distract attention away from her husband's attack on the administration's claims that Iraq was seeking nuclear materials for it WMD program. How do you classify that?

Bad journalism is bad journalism. Period. Many, if not most of those cited are political columnists presenting advocacy positions -- generally with less bias than is shown by the talking heads of Fox News, which had its own mechanisms for colluding on stories and headlines. Excuse my lack of shock as those who are themselves leaders in journalistic shame try, once again, to point fingers while avoiding the deadly glare of mirrors.

road kill
07-25-2010, 06:01 PM
One of the constants of the Bush years, and the Clinton years before them, and going back all the way to Nixon, has been the development and publication of "talking points" to promote an agenda and attack the opposition. The entire "Plame affair" was itself the product of a conspiracy to get friendly journalists to publish damaging information about an agent of the CIA in an effort to distract attention away from her husband's attack on the administration's claims that Iraq was seeking nuclear materials for it WMD program. How do you classify that?

Bad journalism is bad journalism. Period. Many, if not most of those cited are political columnists presenting advocacy positions -- generally with less bias than is shown by the talking heads of Fox News, which had its own mechanisms for colluding on stories and headlines. Excuse my lack of shock as those who are themselves leaders in journalistic shame try, once again, to point fingers while avoiding the deadly glare of mirrors.

It's what you do every day & nearly every post.

rk

YardleyLabs
07-25-2010, 07:15 PM
It's what you do every day & nearly every post.

rk
Stan,
Take your own post as an example. You title the thread "Another LIE!!" and your post reads:

Is anyone keeping count??

What Obama said;
"The document, acquired by a well-placed US source, threatens to undermine US President Barack Obama's claim last week that all Americans were "surprised, disappointed and angry" to learn of Megrahi's release."

What Obama did;
THE US government secretly advised Scottish ministers it would be "far preferable" to free the Lockerbie bomber than jail him in Libya.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/white-house-backed-release-of-lockerbie-bomber-abdel-baset-al-megrahi/story-e6frg6so-1225896741041

Oh, wait, maybe he didn't know about it.........:rolleyes:

rk

When we click on the provided link, the headline reads:

White House backed release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi

Strangely, that is not what the story says. The story says that the Obama administration wrote a secret letter to the Scottish government opposing any release of al-Megrahi. Howver, it continued, if the Scottish government insisted on releasing the Lockerbie bomber on compassionate grounds, the letter asked that he not be released to Libya, but be maintained in Scotland. That is a very different story that bears no relationship to what you say in your post or what "The Australian" says in its headline.

Now, when it comes to "journalistic" conspiracy, what do we know about The Australian? It is owned by Rupert Murdoch, owner of Fox and almost all of the newspapers you cite in you posts. Where did the story in The Australian come from? The Sunday Times, also owned by Rupert Murdoch. Their headline for the story: "Revealed: US Double Talk on Lockerbie". Where is the double talk? The only double talk I see is coming from Murdoch whose interest in the news begins and ends with his ability to manipulate it for his personal political agenda and to prove that an Australian radical conservative can transform the most powerful country in the world in his own image while making money in the process.

subroc
07-26-2010, 05:34 AM
A column by Hugh Hewitt about ethics.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/JournoList-members-silent-on-slander-1003518-99201104.html

another article:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/07/26/journolism_106462.html

subroc
08-05-2010, 05:25 PM
another article

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=MTBkMThlNmE0NzBiZTJjM2RmMTc3OWQ2OWMxYmIwOWE=

YardleyLabs
08-05-2010, 06:11 PM
another article

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=MTBkMThlNmE0NzBiZTJjM2RmMTc3OWQ2OWMxYmIwOWE=
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Ackerman is an opinion piece guy who wasn't able to keep a job with any legitimate news source. Hardly a reflection on anyone except himself. Having an article referencing the integrity of Bob Novak, who played his own role in a deliberate manufacturing of malicious and untrue garbage against Valerie Plame is hardly a shining example of journalistic integrity. Complaining about "slander" of Karl Rove is the ultimate irony given his persistent role is orchestrating smear campaigns. The entire JournoList story is basically an effort to draw attention away from the fact that conservatives have basically gained control of the media message being delivered to American homes through orchestrated stories created, often out of thin air, and marketed aggressively in a coordinated manner by a right wing press led by Australian Rupert Murdoch and his henchman. All of that is obviously my opinion. However, the basic factual outline is clear: the ownership of the key news resources used to promote almost all of the fabricated stories (e.g. Sherrod, ACORN, Plame/Wilson) by Murdoch, the overt and persistent love affair between the Murdoch resources and the Republican party, the the fabrication of the entire tea party movement through direct coordination by Fox opinion shows with consistent, and fraudulent promotion on Fox News (e.g. displaying fabricated crowd pictures of the first demonstration in Washington), constant and coordinated playing of the racism card against the administration, etc. JournoList is a kids game taking place out in the open. It was no more secret than POTUS, and not obviously more meaningful.

subroc
08-06-2010, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make...

The point I am trying to make is to keep this story alive. It is of extreme importance. I will continue to post factual articles with new information or opinion and analysis pieces here. Read them or ignore it, either way, it is OK with me. Collusion in the media, to me, is pretty egregious. You may find their behavior acceptable. That is OK. I expect you are not looking at it with any lens other than through the prism of partisanship. The fact that you find the behavior acceptable and attack the messenger illustrates that. You are little more than a partisan hack that uses twisted logic to accept behavior from the left that you would crucify someone on the right for the same.

BTW, I would believe the same thing if there was "collusion" on the right as it relates to the media.

We should strive for skepticism in our media not the media driving talking points for any political party. If our media becomes no more than propaganda arms of political parties, God help us.

I attack or illustrate the left in this because for the most part, the left “dominates,” (not by a little but by a massive amount) broadcast news. While there is broadcast new available with fair and balanced programming, that small amount is a pittance in the grand scheme of things. I will concede that finally, with the advent of the internet and cable TV, that the right is at least represented and getting some footing. That said, there is, at least at this point, no identified collusion on the right.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

YardleyLabs
08-06-2010, 07:50 AM

We should strive for skepticism in our media not the media driving talking points for any political party. If our media becomes no more than propaganda arms of political parties, God help us.

On this point I agree completely.

I would also agree that there was a time when liberal perspectives dominated the media. Today, however, that pendulum has swung far to the right and Fox, which is a big part of the main stream media, has given up all pretense of journalistic perspective in favor of producing an orchestrated Republican propaganda machine that is coordinated across Foc "properties" throughout the US and even in England and Australia. The man providing the focus for this is Roger Ailes, media consultant in the campaigns of Nixon, Reagan and Bush 41 during his 20+ year career of assisting Republican candidates. He is an absolute partisan who has structured the news to fit his interests, pushing out competitors at Fox who had different poltical interests, and sometimes even going beyond what ultr-conservative Murdoch was prepared to tolerate.

aandw
08-06-2010, 08:04 AM

I would also agree that there was a time when liberal perspectives dominated the media. Today, however, that pendulum has swung far to the right and Fox, which is a big part of the main stream media, has given up all pretense of journalistic perspective in favor of producing an orchestrated Republican propaganda machine that is coordinated across Foc "properties" throughout the US and even in England and Australia. The man providing the focus for this is Roger Ailes, media consultant in the campaigns of Nixon, Reagan and Bush 41 during his 20+ year career of assisting Republican candidates. He is an absolute partisan who has structured the news to fit his interests, pushing out competitors at Fox who had different poltical interests, and sometimes even going beyond what ultr-conservative Murdoch was prepared to tolerate.

can you provide non-partisan links for these accusations? should be a good read.

subroc
08-06-2010, 08:30 AM

If you mean giving time to stories that the left wing media ignores, I expect you may be right. The sin of omission by the left wing media is at least as big a crime as the collusion recently identified. The omission or downplaying of the Jeremiah Wright story during the last election comes to mind as an example. If just giving time to stories that you don’t like is your example of the of an ”orchestrated Republican propaganda machine” so be it.

You lived in the bubble of left wing extremists media screening out any story that showed any opposing view for so long that you now refuse to accept “any” media that presents that opposing view that is needed to balance issues which is and are in the national interest.

YardleyLabs
08-06-2010, 09:33 AM
[/i][/b]

can you provide non-partisan links for these accusations? should be a good read.
I'm not sure what you consider unbiased. If, by that, you mean outlets that agree with what you want to be true, it would be impossible. However, a few references follow:

“I am by no means alone within the family or the company in being ashamed and sickened by Roger Ailes’s horrendous and sustained disregard of the journalistic standards that News Corporation, its founder and every other global media business aspires to,” said Matthew Freud [Murdoch son-in-law], who is married to Ms. Murdoch and whom PR Week magazine says is the most influential public relations executive in London." (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/business/media/10ailes.html)

The same NYTimes story also describes how Ailes threatened to resign if the New York Post endorsed Obama, as it was planning to do. Ailes received a new contract, was paid $23 million, and the Post endorsed McCain. (See above)

In 2005, Ailes replaced Lachlan Murdoch, one of Ruoert Murdoch's sons, as Chairman of Fox Television Stations, extending his control over all broadcasting activites. Until then, Lachlan Murdoch was viewed as most likely to succeed Murdoch when he retires. (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/16/business/media/16fox.html)

Long time Republican Larry King said of Fox News:

"They're a Republican brand. They're an extension of the Republican Party with some exceptions, [like] Greta van Susteren. But I don't begrudge them that. [Fox CEO] Roger Ailes is an old friend. They've been nice to me. They've said some very nice things about me." (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/king_says_fox_news_is_a_republican_brand_but_theyv e_been_nice_to_me_51252.asp)
There is much more that I will try to post later.

road kill
08-06-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure what you consider unbiased. If, by that, you mean outlets that agree with what you want to be true, it would be impossible. However, a few references follow:

“I am by no means alone within the family or the company in being ashamed and sickened by Roger Ailes’s horrendous and sustained disregard of the journalistic standards that News Corporation, its founder and every other global media business aspires to,” said Matthew Freud [Murdoch son-in-law], who is married to Ms. Murdoch and whom PR Week magazine says is the most influential public relations executive in London." (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/business/media/10ailes.html)

The same NYTimes story also describes how Ailes threatened to resign if the New York Post endorsed Obama, as it was planning to do. Ailes received a new contract, was paid $23 million, and the Post endorsed McCain. (See above)

In 2005, Ailes replaced Lachlan Murdoch, one of Ruoert Murdoch's sons, as Chairman of Fox Television Stations, extending his control over all broadcasting activites. Until then, Lachlan Murdoch was viewed as most likely to succeed Murdoch when he retires. (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/16/business/media/16fox.html)

"They're a Republican brand. They're an extension of the Republican Party with some exceptions, [like] Greta van Susteren. But I don't begrudge them that. [Fox CEO] Roger Ailes is an old friend. They've been nice to me. They've said some very nice things about me." (http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/king_says_fox_news_is_a_republican_brand_but_theyv e_been_nice_to_me_51252.asp)

Please spare us.

RK

subroc
08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
the New York times and Larry King. Nice.....

subroc
08-08-2010, 10:03 AM
this is a bit off topic but...

http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/checker.aspx?v=hdnzuzqG2G

subroc
08-10-2010, 08:10 AM
the media and racism

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/08/10/liberals_dishonestly_describe_connecticut_murders. html

aandw
08-10-2010, 08:59 AM

you didn't answer my question. this post has nothing to do with the part of your post i put in bold.

YardleyLabs
08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
the media and racism

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/08/10/liberals_dishonestly_describe_connecticut_murders. html

Your reference basically points to an A.P. story (as published by The Washington Post) as proof of bias because the story addresses the contentions made by the murderer that he had been subjected to racist harassment, overshadowing the story of the murder itself. There were multiple A.P. stories published about this incident. Here are samples that were published by The Washington Post.:
Police: Gunman at beer warehouse targeted managers

MANCHESTER, Conn. -- The warehouse driver who fatally shot eight co-workers at a beer distributorship before killing himself apparently targeted managers who had hired a private detective to tail him and forced him to resign because he stole beer from work, police said Wednesday.
Omar Thornton carried two 9 mm handguns to Hartford Distributors inside his lunch box Tuesday and left a rifle in his car. After a disciplinary hearing where he was shown video of himself stealing and then resigned, he asked for a drink of water and went to a kitchenette where his lunch box was, Manchester police Lt. Christopher Davis said Wednesday.
He went to the kitchen, took out his guns, walked out into the hall and began shooting "as soon as he got into the hallway," Davis said. All the weapons were registered, he said.

Beer warehouse shooter long complained of racism

A sign at the entrance to Hartford Distributors, in Manchester, Conn., is seen behind warning tape, Thursday, Aug. 5, 2010. Eight people were killed Tuesday when Omar Thornton opened fire after a disciplinary hearing at the beer distributorship in Manchester, before killing himself. Flowers and candles rest on top of the sign. (AP Photo/Steven Senne) (Steven Senne - AP)

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- To those closest to him, Omar Thornton was caring, quiet and soft-spoken. He was excited to land a well-paying job at a beer delivery company a few years ago and his longtime girlfriend says they talked of marrying and having children.
But underneath, Thornton seethed with a sense of racial injustice for years that culminated in a shooting rampage Tuesday in which the Connecticut man killed eight and wounded two others at his job at Hartford Distributors in Manchester before killing himself.

This is the story mentioned by your reference. It was a background story published four days after the event, following a lead that, as noted above, was all about the murders themselves. Your reference says that the main story of the murders was lost because of the extraneous information about the racist harassment. It could only have been missed by an idiot. The A.P. story itself went on for an extended period noting that Thornton had left several jobs previously because of similar complaints and that he was always complaining of racism.

Overall, the headlines from The Washington Post stories about the shooter are (in reverse chronological order):

1. Article | 08/08/2010
Vigil for Conn. beer warehouse shooting victims (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/08/AR2010080802604.html)
EVERTON BAILEY Jr. (AP Online)

...Springs Park nearly a week after Omar Thornton killed eight co-workers and wounded...in this together," he said....

2. Article | 08/08/2010
Difficult task to lower risk of workplace violence (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/08/AR2010080801510.html)
BEN DOBBIN (AP Online)

...outburst of workplace violence, Omar Thornton, a driver for a beer distributor...Conn., then killed himself....

3. Article | 08/07/2010

Beer warehouse shooter long complained of racism (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/07/AR2010080701513.html)
JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN (AP Online)

...those closest to him, Omar Thornton was caring, quiet and...said. Brocuglio said Thornton put her family...

4. Article | 08/06/2010
Transcript of 911 call from Conn. shooter (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/06/AR2010080600327.html)

The Associated Press (AP Online)

...Transcript of the 4-minute 911 call made by Omar Thornton to police in the moments after he shot 10 of...

5. Article | 08/06/2010
Conn. woman arrested over stolen beer from shooter (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/06/AR2010080601634.html)

(AP Online)
..videotape showing her accepting beer from a truck driven by Omar Thornton, East Windsor police dispatcher Sharon...

6. Article | 08/05/2010

911 call from Connecticut massacre - Shooter claims racism (Audio) (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/05/AR2010080505077.html)
STEPHEN SINGER (AP Online)
...his own hands and "handled the problem." Omar Thornton, 34, called 911 after shooting 10 co-workers...rebutted...

7. Article | 08/05/2010
Nation Digest (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/04/AR2010080407240.html)

(Post)
...because he stole beer from work, police said Wednesday. Omar Thornton's girlfriend, meanwhile, told the...

8. Article | 08/04/2010
A list of some fatal shootings at US workplaces (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/04/AR2010080400628.html)

...-- Some fatal shootings at U.S. workplaces: - Aug. 3, 2010: Warehouse driver Omar Thornton shot and killed eight...

9. Article | 08/04/2010

Police: Gunman at beer warehouse targeted managers (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/04/AR2010080402880.html)

STEPHEN SINGER and JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN (AP Online)

...work, police said Wednesday. Omar Thornton carried two 9 mm handguns to Hartford...managers or executives...

10.Article | 08/04/2010
Gunman kills 8, self at Conn. workplace : Warehouse driver had been accused of stealing, official... (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/03/AR2010080306497.html)

Stephen Singer, A03 (Post)
...committing suicide, authorities said. Omar Thornton, 34, pulled a handgun after a...Hannah, his girlfriend's...

11. Article | 08/04/2010

Profiles of victims of Conn. shooting (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/04/AR2010080404855.html)
ERIC TUCKER and MARK SCOLFORO (AP Online)
Bryan Cirigliano, 51, Newington Cirigliano was president of Teamsters 1035 and was gunman Omar Thornton's...

12.Article | 08/03/2010
Some fatal shootings at US workplaces (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/03/AR2010080304523.html)
...-- Some fatal shootings at U.S. workplaces: - Aug. 3, 2010: Warehouse driver Omar Thornton shot and killed eight...
I fail to see any pattern of liberal apologists weaving a story that tries to assign blame for these killings at the feet of the victims. The initial stories were all about the murder and the victims. However, your reference seems to imply that the charges of racism by the shooter should have been ignored altogether. That would truly have been biased reporting.