PDA

View Full Version : The Labrador Retriever Club 2010 Summer Hunt Test + OH Qualifying

Scott Bass
07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
How is the O/H Q going? I wonder how the dogs are doing in this heat?

Jason Davenport
07-23-2010, 11:51 AM
What are some of the things that are important to do for your dog in this heat as I will be running tomorrow. I have a 9x9 tent I put over the bed I bought a 18v fan for his kennel door, and put ice cubes in his water pale for him pretty much all day but just curious what else I can do to make it as comfortable as possible for him.

labraiser
07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
I heard they scrapped the 1st test.

D&S Retrievers
07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Heard that also. Haven't heard anything since.

TH
07-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Looks like Master will finish today. 1:30 two series completed. The Q scrapped the first series land. They are now running a water test.

Tony

Scott Bass
07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Looks like Master will finish today. 1:30 two series completed. The Q scrapped the first series land. They are now running a water test.

Tony

I assume you are saying that the Q is running a water series. Now when everyone that is running the Q says they made it to the water series people will think they hung in until the last series.

Do you know why they scrapped the first test?

TH
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Scott,

I guess that would be one way to look at it!

Tony

Pat F.
07-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Tony:

Why did they scrap the land test?

Pat

labraiser
07-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I was told they ran a few dogs and none of them could complete the test.

Scott

Scott Bass
07-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I was told they ran a few dogs and none of them could complete the test.

Scott

What did the test consist of that they scrapped? Why were non of the dogs completing? I'm curious!

YardleyLabs
07-23-2010, 08:12 PM
What did the test consist of that they scrapped? Why were non of the dogs completing? I'm curious!
Indented land triple in the "dry" field. Flyer off to the right. Short bird thrown in line with retired long bird. Four of the first five dogs failed to retrieve the long retired, breaking down at the short bird and either hunting the old fall or wandering so far off course the needed to be picked up to avoid overheating. Things may have improved if continued, but it is the judges' call and responsibility, so I would not question it.

The replacement series was a land/water triple. A long center bird was shot on the far side of a medium sized pond. A bird was then shot to the left of the pond downhill, followed by a flyer shot down a peninsula to the right. All birds were left to right. No guns were retired. A number of dogs started out for the left bird and then rounded the pond to pick up the memory bird. 27 dogs were called back for the land blind. 18 were then called back for the water blind. Unfortunately, because of handlers errors (I can't claim just one:rolleyes:), my dog did not make it to the third, so I can't say how that ended up. The weather was very hot in the sun. The bird boys and gunners did any extraordinary job. There was one no bird flyer (a strongly swimming cripple) out of 40= birds shot (including the scrapped series and test dogs). The dead bird throws were high, long and among the most consistent I have ever seen at a similar event. I understand one of the kids was the high school quarterback. Great job by the club.

I heard that six dogs passed the Master, but can't confirm that information.

Scott Bass
07-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for the details. I do appreciate it.

JKOttman
07-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Congrats to John Wiacek on Wren's 3rd in the Q and passing the SH test! Woo-hoo!