PDA

View Full Version : Americas Wealthiest indivduals

cotts135
07-25-2010, 06:30 AM
A recent article by Senator Bernie Sanders points out the benefits Americas wealthiest individuals enjoy and the associated pitfalls of having such a large gap between the wealthy and middle class.

http://www.thenation.com/article/37889/no-oligarchy

Franco
07-25-2010, 08:11 AM
I read an article last week (can't remember where) that showed a graft that the average government worker made substanially more than the average non-governemnt worker.

There is something very wrong with that because less government is better for the entire USA! If the goverment was truely serious of eliminating waste, I would suggest they look at how many people they have working for them!

When the government provides better paying jobs/benefits thn the private sector then our Freedom is in harms way.

Matt McKenzie
07-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Speaking of uber-rich, did you see where an esteemed liberal Senator from Mass parks his yacht in Rhode Island to avoid paying a half a mil in taxes? Nice.

By the way, Cotts, if you don't mind my asking, what is it you do for a living?

dnf777
07-25-2010, 10:42 AM
When the government provides better paying jobs/benefits thn the private sector then our Freedom is in harms way.

I would make an exception for our boys and girls in uniform. Not many private sector jobs have "giving your life for you country" in the job description. No doubt, there are private jobs with higher mortality rates than peacetime military service, but they do tend to pay much more than the military. (offshore drilling, mining, fisherman, etc...)

depittydawg
07-25-2010, 10:44 AM

Or maybe there is something wrong with the private sector. It isn't so much that Government Jobs have gotten better. The trend has been in the private sector, where jobs, wages, and benifits have been on the decline for a generation. Instead of lowering the benchmark of Gov jobs why not raise the benchmark of private sector jobs to meet the higher benchmark?

subroc
07-25-2010, 11:06 AM
...It isn't so much that Government Jobs have gotten better...

Additionally, lower paid function is contracted out. virtually all cleaning function is done by contractors. In the past, that was not the case. That fact alone would would move the average wage up.

That said, I do believe that the government is looking at something called wage creep. Positions that were once done at lower wage and grade are now being done at higher wage and grade. Time will tell how that ends.

The military also contracts a large part of the cooking functions.

Contracting has changed the landscape. Has it saved money? Who knows. But, it is a reallity that can and does skew data.

Buzz
07-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Or maybe there is something wrong with the private sector. It isn't so much that Government Jobs have gotten better. The trend has been in the private sector, where jobs, wages, and benifits have been on the decline for a generation. Instead of lowering the benchmark of Gov jobs why not raise the benchmark of private sector jobs to meet the higher benchmark?

I agree with you, but in this place, I'm afraid you won't find much support for that position. I keep listening to conservatives talk about how when tax rates were cut on top wage earners their share of the total tax burden actually increased. It goes over most people's heads (must not be good with numbers) that in order for that to happen, their total share of income in the economy had to increased dramatically.

subroc
07-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Speaking of uber-rich, did you see where an esteemed liberal Senator from Mass parks his yacht in Rhode Island to avoid paying a half a mil in taxes?...

not againts the law to try to save tax dollars. Not very ethical though. I expect lefties will find the obligatory way to defend the action. Probally hang their hat on the law and ignore the ethics.

gman0046
07-25-2010, 11:21 AM
As an employee of the Federal Government, I believe Government workers are well over paid. In my office there are numerous positions at the GS-13, GS-14 and GS-15 level. Those pay rates top out from $93,000 to $129,500 per year. Not bad for having a job for life. no nights or weekends, no heavy lifting and great medical and retirement benefits. The current Government Thrift Savings Plan (that Bush wanted for recipients of Social Security) will allow many Government Employees to retire a millionaire if not better. You won't find too many private sector jobs with the perks of Federal Employment. All Obongo has done is increase the size of the Federal work force.

cotts135
07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Speaking of uber-rich, did you see where an esteemed liberal Senator from Mass parks his yacht in Rhode Island to avoid paying a half a mil in taxes? Nice.

By the way, Cotts, if you don't mind my asking, what is it you do for a living?

No problem, I am a retired NYS Dept of Corrections officer/sergeant